Steam moved my saved games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Steam moved my saved games

Post by euclid » Fri, 12. Jan 24, 15:52

I'm a tad biased when it comes to Steam. If possible I play offline and have disabled cloud ever since it overwrote my X3TC saved games (hence destroyed many hours of my game play). The Steam launcher is installed on the G drive (M.2) but several games are installed on different drives. All the saved games are located in the corresponding save folder in the C: > .... > documents folder.

Now for almost a year (playing other games in between) I'm building a major settlement (own mod that overlaps Red Rocket and Sanctuary build/sandbox areas) in Fallout 4 which is located on the D drive (another M.2). I had not played it for like 3 weeks and after the Steam update today I thought to check it out and continue the build. To my surprise all .fos files disappeared! It took me some time to find them. Steam moved them to the G drive (where the Steam launcher is located), under Steam > userdata > .... > WinMyDocuments > MyGames > Fallout 4.

For now only FO4 saved games were moved. Has anyone encountered that, too, maybe with other games? Is this a "normal" Steam feature or do I miss something?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

felter
xr

Re: Steam moved my saved games

Post by felter » Fri, 12. Jan 24, 20:46

The save files that you have found aren't the original save files, as far as I can tell, they are backup files of the original save files. My save files for Fallout 4 are in Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Saves, but they are also in the location you pointed too, so your original files should be your Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Saves wherever you have that, I know I haven't always had them on my C drive as you can move it under the properties location tab for documents.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Steam moved my saved games

Post by euclid » Sat, 13. Jan 24, 00:40

Thanks for the info, felter. Good to know that there is an "auto backup" folder.

My document folder always was on the C drive and I never moved it. So I wonder why all the .fos files disappeared.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Return to “Off Topic English”