Starfield: Thoughts?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Re: Starfield: Thoughts?

Post by clakclak » Wed, 14. Jun 23, 22:52

felter wrote:
Wed, 14. Jun 23, 15:58
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the system requirements take away my ability to play it my computer which I currently have doesn't even meet the minimum requirements.
  • Minimum System Requirement:
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7 6800K
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    DirectX: Version 12
    Network: Broadband internet connection
    Storage: 125 GB available space
    Additional notes: SSD required
  • Recommended System Requirement:
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5 10600K
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
    DirectX: Version 12
    Network: Broadband internet connection
    Storage: 125 GB available space
    Additional notes: SSD required
The 125 GB SSD space required would in itself use up most of my current free SSD space, I would have to buy a new SSD, let alone a new graphics card and CPU. So I'm out for sure no matter how good, buggy or bad it is, its specs are just way too high for me.
Well GeForce Now it is I guess, even though that obviously makes mods impossible. But I'll just wait till the game is cheap and patched up and then stream it. Honestly by now I am really happy with Game Streaming as I do not see myself buying a new gaming PC in the next years.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Sun, 9. Jul 23, 05:27

Ever since microsoft brought bethesda, Microsoft do make bethesda played their game and fixed it out, it's was supposed to come out last year, but Microsoft pushed bethesda to do bug fixing for Xbox and PC. Bethesda said it's least bug of any game they had create in the past, I do believe them as I knew Microsoft don't like buggy program. I think it's great teamwork, but still worried about future, however as both companies favor Xbox over PC version, but I preordered digital premium edition as I know it's good risk to preorder, key to know companies history, (Bethesda didn't make fallout 76, it's other team, but other than that, Starfield is singe player, not MMO, and Betheada are very talented create single player open world game many time in the past, yes it's buggy, but every game got better, less bug as time went by. (Other than bethesda public fallout 76 (not same team since team already work on starfield while other team work online. Bethesda is not good online game stuff, but they make great singe player, and starfield isn't online game. so it's safe risk to preorder within reasonable.

Building outpost and ship itseft is what got me preordered, I like what 45 min video show me and my past experience played morrowind, oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 4 is good experience, (thought older game do had very buggy, but Fallout 4 I had little experience of bug, so Bethesda do get better with game less bug each time single player game come out, now team up with Microsoft, they making sure Bethesda polished much more for one more year already.

So count the cost, I already preordered as I already knew it's worth it. But after this game, I do wonder about future, however, would they dump down version from PC for Xbox version? Who know, I understand that Bethesda do create Starfield for PC mainly, then Xbox for most of year (7 years in game development before Microsoft/xbox brought them?)
Had a compassionate when you able... :)

Elvenstyle
x4

Post by Elvenstyle » Fri, 11. Aug 23, 17:43

After diligent reading...

I seem to be completely out of character! :D

So... I have to say I pre-ordered Starfield. Already 4 weeks ago and the CE (which will even contain the first addon, which I don't even know yet).
Of course I'll do a hell of a thing and write that... e.g. on Steam in the comments, because hell is reigning there right now.
AMD vs Intel and NVidia. XBox vs the "poor" Playstation gamers. Singleplayer vs MMOers and... in general... Oh God.... almost embarrassing the people, how they go about it (or I'm getting old and that's normal now^^)

Why did I do this? Well... I don't scrimp between 40 and 100 euros if I'm REALLY interested in something and I can hardly wait.
That only happens to me twice in 5 years. Due to this.
In my opinion, Starfield fills a niche here that is finally being filled.

Alternatively, I would only see "Star Citizen" with potential .... IF IT WAS FINISHED before 2030 ...! Before that I think the real Mars landing is slowly coming and I don't even mean that ironically.
But I fundamentally reject this "pay to win" approach, which is very likely to be the case in the future.
At least if it breaks a frame that can no longer be endured.
Currently buying ships for over 1000 euros...? A 3D model, so to speak, which I will probably be able to mod/program myself at StarField sooner or later? and that in a still PreAlpha which is embarrassing...??
Almost 600 million shot up over the years and all you see is what's finished so far?
So for me something like that borders on crime. It reminds me very much of the Ponzi principle. You haven't heard the thunder then, I think :gruebel:
But somehow you get away with it. Or there are enough stupid people who finance it. Of course you can also write the same about me (see above^^). But I think there is a difference like night and day.

In comparison, you have to look at the actually "thin" 6-digit grants that EGO receives/received from the federal government in grants as an innovative game developer.
And here we are at a solid game that can keep up with such "monsters"!

If something then degenerates with others, you just have to look at "World of Warships or Tanks". What's going on in the shop and how money is made from every little "shit" (and above all how much) has nothing to do with gaming in my opinion.
At that time, World of Warships also served a niche that I found interesting and where there was nothing before. But then it messed me up so much that I now serve my interest with "Ultimate Admirals Dreadnoughts".
Comparable here then with StarField & X4: Foundations. David & Goliath. However, both will be/remain playable here! Just because something isn't heavily hyped doesn't mean it's bad.
Unfortunately, this is only going to get worse. That alone is a very big point to play X4 with what it offers. Of course you don't HAVE to buy anything, I'm more concerned with the "feeling" or the immersion that a game then has.
And that goes completely down the drain with the above-mentioned "WoW's", for example.

Will I switch because of StarField though? Clear NO!
I think you can only compare Starfield and X4 to a limited extent.

Starfield will probably serve everything a little bit. A modern graphics engine paired with first person shooter and open world elements. Then the niche universe, more like an open universe.
It will probably try to go deeper into the story as far as individual characters go, but that has never been Bethesda's forte and certainly won't be in Starfield.
X4 is more sandbox. I'm thinking about it now and would say I spend most of my time in X4 on the map with my complex economy rather than "jetting around" somewhere.
I guess 80/20.
Starfield won't be able to top that in the slightest. I'll spend more time farming resources myself, which will be something completely different in this "world" and again X4 doesn't have that.
StarField will probably do a bit of everything, but nothing really deep. But where is it written that = this is bad?

And yes. there will be bugs. Bethesda is the market leader there :D
That doesn't influence my decision in the slightest. The big point here is A: Mods! These will balance quite a bit, and the opportunities Bethesda offers to do this are unparalleled.
Skyrim only lived on mods, otherwise it would have been dead for years. An original installation has around 12 gigabytes, if I remember correctly. I just checked my directory and was a bit surprised... a whopping 93 gigabytes!
But then also on a halfway tolerable level (which also runs!... tricky) In addition, the same thing again on GB's because fuses. But a vanilla would be unbearable today.
That's why I don't even begin to understand the discussions elsewhere about the allegedly "hefty" 125GB from StarField.
Likewise the requirements. On the one hand let the PC run if possible, but then stream the whole thing with 8k to the 75"+ TV and if possible with five hundred and thirty FPS
and on the other hand, whine ala: Hey, is my GTX-1070Ti still enough? And my Intenso 500GB SSD for 15 euros is full. Ridiculous...

On the subject of bugs, I see things more positively at Bethesda lately, because something has changed. Microsoft has the finger on it. What they partially achieved with Fallout will not happen here. I'm very, very sure of that.
Alone the change from the release, which was actually already fixed for last year, I push back to that. According to the motto: "No, we don't want it that way. You have to take a look at it again" was also one of the reasons for my pre-order decision.
Add to that the disaster with Redfall. And I always assume that you learn from mistakes. In that case both... Well... yes... I have to and will just think positively here.

Another reason for my Pre-Order was simply my futuristic & ultra-modern Internet connection of no less than 6MBit/s (+-5.3 real). Yes... more is not possible... apparently I live in Dark Germany.
We have 95% very good coverage, but wherever this is not the case, the remaining 5% are there :headbang:
Has anyone ever tried to jiggle 125 GB with 5.5 MBit/s over the line when a release starts via Steam? I can confirm that there is no joy! I reckon with 2.5 to 3 days of pure download time and only if the servers don't bitch.
With a release where... I don't know... 500,000 to maybe 700,000 people are trying to download it at the same time, I already suspect bad things.
.. especially extremely economical in times of "save electricity here and save electricity there" :mrgreen:

Sounds macabre, but yes. That was also included in my decision, for one even a pre-order ^^ Otherwise it would push me back by 3 weeks and that in turn...
...yes..this would be very stupid, because I have 2 1/2 weeks of vacation from the first week of September, which I am spending here in "Dark Germany" :D So at least that would fit, although it has been registered for 10 months.

Conclusion:

Yes, I'm looking forward to it.
Yes, for me there are not only purchase but also pre-order reasons.
Yes, bugs don't bother me as they will be less (reason see above)
Yes, the genre "Universe" is awesome
yes, because THANK GOD... SINGLE-PLAYER!!

No, despite everything, that won't detract from X4. Now I have to schedule my time, but leave it there/check it off? why?
No, because for me they are 2 different games despite everything.
No, procedural worlds and events are not bad if there is always something "handmade" INSIDE of them. Can only be even more positive after Skyrim, Fallout and Co.
No, from what I've seen so far and where my interests are, I'm 100% not going to land on my face. Even with bugs :wink:

No, even if AMD is exclusively involved and I'm an RTX-3060DUAL-12Gb user, I don't care much.
If I make my purchase decisions dependent on such individual things, I'm screwed after every 3 games... .. no matter how I align myself. And this will only get worse in the future. NVidia probably didn't put enough on the table here.
The smarter one was probably NVidia anyway, because this single thing and here and there 2 more don't detract from them. DLSS or FSR or not as far as this case is concerned.
My decision to buy my Asus PG278QR was also based on GSync, but above all on NVidia's "3D Vision 2". Well... I can still... with a graphics driver from Anno-domini :rant:
God... how I miss that. I still don't understand that to this day.

In the end it doesn't matter anyway ("Wumpe" in German) what I wrote :lol:

Usually to each their own and never force anything on anyone.

PS: GooGle Translation... Yaaayyyy :D :o

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 11. Aug 23, 21:31

T-21 days ...
T-6 days ...
T-2 days ... [for early access personnel] =)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 02:34

Xbox game pass store has removed it's $1 14 day trial ahead of Starfields release.

Game seems to be getting mostly good early reviews. Main story might not be the best part of the game?

Kolohe
x4

Post by Kolohe » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 17:03

I played it.

I refunded it.

The planets reminded me of NMS, when it first launched. No vehicles. After a few minutes of walking on the second planet I started seeing copies of terrain and plants/animals. NMS does this too and better in my opinion. The FPS combat was like playing Elite Dangerous. I burned myself out of FPS shooters, and the stealth bits didn't seem to work for me, as I'd rather explore than shoot a bunch of pirates. The inventory system was tedious. The character dialogs were very generic. I really felt bored after about an hour. I felt like I was playing a game that was a mashup of other games that I already played. The one thing I liked was the universe and system screens. Those were nice. Everything else meh. It is definitely a game a lot of people will like, I just went back to BG3.

X games seem to be my jam, for space sims.

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 17:03

I played the game when it released for Early Access yesterday, I don’t have a complete opinion yet, but I can say that I am having a lot of fun, and that I’m excited to try out all the various activities. The game seems off to a very slow start, but fortunately thanks to X, it’s not that unbearable. :wink:

You can even visit Earth!
Spoiler
Show
Though it’s quite depressing since it’s just a lifeless and barren world, because the magnetosphere randomly decided to not exist in this universe. :roll:
A negative thing I experienced yesterday was when I was doing a mission to join one of the factions, and there was a part where you had to defeat three waves of enemies in a simulated space battle. That by itself isn’t a problem, but there are 3 extra waves that give you bonus dialogue if you beat them. The final wave, and the one before that are absurdly unbalanced, and I’m pretty sure nobody actually playtested them, because they’re near impossible. And, at the risk of being marked egotistical, I can safely say that I’m unrivaled by nearly everyone in spaceship combat, and if I can’t do it, it’s probably impossible. I did win though, but really only out of luck, because I’m pretty sure the AI took pity on me, and most of the ships decided not to attack. Granted, the final wave is supposed to be an impossible scenario, but they should only be impossible from a story standpoint, and not a gameplay standpoint. If an early mission is that unfair, even when they give you equipment to be able to handle the task, I’m a little concerned about what lies ahead. :(
Spoiler
Show
The mission is the one you get if you join the United Colonies Vanguard. Seriously, be careful, waves 5 and 6 are very infuriating, and I do not get angry at games easily. Before those waves it was 1v1, and 1v2. Those two are 1v4, and 1v6 respectively. It’s a completely ridiculous jump in difficulty, you basically have to spawncamp them in order to not die immediately. :evil:
Still though, it’s a lot of fun, and I recommend trying it out, especially if you have Game Pass. :wink:

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 18:52

Finally also had the chance to play it - it's quite nice so far. I did some quests in New Atlantis and went back to Kreet (first "open world" location one enters). Combat feels good - but one really has to plan the build if one likes to do some crafting early on. Everything is locked behind perks & challenges - takes some levels to get their. I'm pondering wether I should restart or not - some perks are quite useless early on (piloting, carryweight, ballistic weapons).

Ship building is awesome - but this one too takes a lot of resources. So don't think you can hop into the game and build your dream ship.

Whats totally odd so far - don't know if I just don't get it - but it seems that one can't equip armor & weapons on companions. So they run around in civic clothes while following you through rainstorms on planets :gruebel:.

Spoiler
Show

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 23:26

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 1. Sep 23, 18:52

Whats totally odd so far - don't know if I just don't get it - but it seems that one can't equip armor & weapons on companions. So they run around in civic clothes while following you through rainstorms on planets :gruebel:.
https://www.youtube.com/live/8VX0UK6JX1 ... 7N&t=18723

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 17:05

That Bethesda still can't write good dialogue is really confusing to me. Sure not everything has to be super top notch novel level, but come on, a bit of improvement would have gone a long way.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 17:40

So my hesitation has paid off here. Holy moly. Dont even know where to begin, hard pass.
clakclak wrote:
Sat, 2. Sep 23, 17:05
That Bethesda still can't write good dialogue is really confusing to me. Sure not everything has to be super top notch novel level, but come on, a bit of improvement would have gone a long way.
This is one of the things thats standing out to me so much (and the camera work frames it all equally badly). Why is everyone in games so wordy!? People dont speak like this, its a mistake almost all games make. I'm waiting for the day I speak to an npc and ask something like "How are you?" and they say "Good, you?" without starting to ramble on about their life story for half an hour.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 18:39

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 2. Sep 23, 17:40
I'm waiting for the day I speak to an npc and ask something like "How are you?" and they say "Good, you?" without starting to ramble on about their life story for half an hour.
Sounds like a good idea for a dialog mod. Probably be a big hit. Would be an immense project though.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 18:58

Axeface wrote:
So my hesitation has paid off here. Holy moly. Dont even know where to begin, hard pass.
I agree with IGN that currently it 7/10 material.
Starfield still needs several rounds of polishing, performance improvements and a few DLC(and mods) to be remotely close to Skyrim.
There is great potential for Starfield, but we need to wait - treat it like X4: Foundations 1.0.

I predict that past usual influencer buzz/FOMO for week or two, there won't be much to talk about Starfield for some time.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 19:00

I started to feel Bethesda fatique after Fallout 3 and Skyrim and when I saw the first Starfield videos it was immediately pretty clear that it will most likely not going to be a game I'm going to be very interested in.
The other reason is Star Citizen. It has kind of spoiled and ruined games like Starfield for me.

It will be interesting to see how Starfield develops in future, like what kind of DLCs and improvements it will get.

Star Citizen, X-series, Starbase and In the Black are going to be the space games I will keep playing for now.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 19:09

segmentationfault wrote:
Sat, 2. Sep 23, 19:00
I started to feel Bethesda fatique after Fallout 3 and Skyrim and when I saw the first Starfield videos it was immediately pretty clear that it will most likely not going to be a game I'm going to be very interested in.
The other reason is Star Citizen. It has kind of spoiled and ruined games like Starfield for me.

It will be interesting to see how Starfield develops in future, like what kind of DLCs and improvements it will get.

Star Citizen, X-series, Starbase and In the Black are going to be the space games I will keep playing for now.
You should try SpaceBourne 2 - kinda indie Starfield, albeit in Early Access:
https://youtu.be/PNFbQPD407E?si=RIMQ5RKjrfZPSO1Q

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 19:32

Every time someone mentions spacers, I think of Spacer by Sheila B Devotion.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 20:04

Warenwolf wrote:
Fri, 1. Sep 23, 23:26
chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 1. Sep 23, 18:52

https://www.youtube.com/live/8VX0UK6JX1 ... 7N&t=18723
Yeah, I also figured it out - the preview of companions is bugged (it shows the own character). So it basically was me thinking "nah, I don't want to equip my character from the companion inventory" and giving up too early. The mean thing here is: if you try to equip shiny new armor on your companions while being on your spaceship you don't see the change. Because the companions only equip their spacesuits in non-breathable environments.

tl;dr is - you can give your companion weapon (needs 1 ammo round in the inventory), spacesuit, spacesuit helmet, undercloth, undercloth hat. Undercloth is active on spaceship, in spacestations. Spacesuits are active on planet surfaces.

Spoiler
Show

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 3. Sep 23, 13:49

Axeface wrote:
This is one of the things thats standing out to me so much (and the camera work frames it all equally badly). Why is everyone in games so wordy!? People dont speak like this, its a mistake almost all games make. I'm waiting for the day I speak to an npc and ask something like "How are you?" and they say "Good, you?" without starting to ramble on about their life story for half an hour.
I agree with you partially - I never find the problems and communication in games to be very realistic but on the other hand, I can kinda see that in order they to avoid many back and forth dialogues they compress and cut the dialogue.
Imagine how drawn out the game would be if communication was reflective of the IRL relationship building.

That being said, my first impressions of Starfield were...meh? I see it is a decent game in there but I am simply not in the mood for Skyrim in space - I simply feel I have played this game before.
Note that I am only speaking from watching others play - no way I am paying 40% extra for early access pre-patched Bethesda game.
segmentationfault wrote:
Sat, 2. Sep 23, 19:00
Each to his own as they say... Star Citizen for me is what got me off early access and pre-ordering. I bought that game 10 years ago. I will probably not be able to play video games by the time they release what I pledged for.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 3. Sep 23, 15:39

Observe wrote:
Sat, 2. Sep 23, 18:39
Axeface wrote:
I'm waiting for the day I speak to an npc and ask something like "How are you?" and they say "Good, you?" without starting to ramble on about their life story for half an hour.
Sounds like a good idea for a dialog mod. Probably be a big hit. Would be an immense project though.
This mod allready exists for Skyrim and is called Inconsequential NPCs. At least from how I perceived it, it does exactly what Axeface was aiming at:
Inconsequential NPCs mod page wrote:Do you chat with everyone you see on the public transit? Make inquiries into the name and profession of whoever you meet on the street? Why is it that almost every unique NPC in Skyrim is willing to stop everything they are doing just to waste precious time answering the Dragonborn's stupid questions when they probably have better things to do and more important places to be. For that matter, where are all the people in Skyrim? Why does the entire country have less population than your local pub on a Saturday night?[...]

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 3. Sep 23, 18:09

Looks like the Unofficial patch team have committed themselves to supporting Starfield ..
https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/foru ... eld-patch/
.. Amazes me how much of their lives have been dedicated to solving all Bethesda game bugs.
I participated for a while but I'm done with Bethesda.

Anyway give it 6-8 years and the Unofficial patch community will have solved all Starfield issues.

There is another patch project, the Starfield Community Patch (SCP), but I wonder if its going to be yet another early doors extra patch seeking a bit of fame that eventually fizzles out and/or turns into many arguments about what is needed/subjective etcetera .. same as all previous Bethesda games the Unofficial Patch team has always been the reliable effort.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “Off Topic English”