Starfield: Thoughts?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Re: Starfield: Thoughts?

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 12. Sep 23, 00:23

So I have a policy of no "M" rated games in my home. How much "M" rated material have you who have played this game for a good length of time encountered? What are some examples you have seen?

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Tue, 12. Sep 23, 01:13

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 12. Sep 23, 00:23
So I have a policy of no "M" rated games in my home. How much "M" rated material have you who have played this game for a good length of time encountered? What are some examples you have seen?
Hard to say. because it depends...

There are no naked persons in the game, this is and never was Bethesdas style. Not so with certain mods :)
Things like harlots may be in Neon (a city), but I never was there yet, so I cannot tell. And usually you have to look for such things, they are not that obvious and usually very decent.

The mature content - if you see it so - is the fact, that they have certain 'woke' things in the game. For example, there is a small quest with a (male) gay couple, where they have a dispute about a gift (ring). Also you see more female 'bosses' (officers, and so on) in the game, and it is the usual mix of ethnics with the NPCs. All this may be 'mature', and I am not happy with it, but also I can easily ignore it.

In European thinking the violence may also be considered mature, but it is neither worse nor better than Fallout 4, for example. And the quests itself are also more mature in nature, the conflicts and problems.

This is my take on this game. It is typical Bethesda, like Fallout 3/4 or Skyrim.
Hope this helps.

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Tue, 12. Sep 23, 01:27

chew-ie wrote:
Mon, 11. Sep 23, 22:34

You can (and IMHO: should!) increase the cargo space of your mobile home. I make it a point to bring every A ship to 2000+ cargo space long before I level piloting to get ship class B (or C). Check also the cockpits - those have different cargo space ratings. Here is my current ship:

<...>
Thank you for this hint: I had several problems with ship design, especially the strange behavior of cargo in a redesigned ship. They obviously stuff everything (including the decoration) into the cargo, but (with the Frontier) this happens every time you open the ship in the designer, even if you change nothing. And every time I find a lot of decoration items stuffed into my cargo hold, but - in the ship they still exist. May be a bug? But suddenly my cargo was more full than before, the items (cooking pots, glasses, and so on) still were in the ship, it did not look different. So I sold these things to free up cargo space. Twice. But they seem to be still present in the ship.

And now with the Razorleaf things are even more tricky: The ship has weapon holders and boxes - but on Reddit people warn to use anything except cargo, if you edit your ship, because things are lost, except cargo contents. So I am a bit unsure, and still wait. I have money enough, and maybe I will save before and test it. But I do not want to make the Razorleaf slower or less mobile :)

It is extremely impractical, because ideally I could build the Frontier with much more cargo, this is not a combat ship. But if I change ships, the cargo is transferred and if the Frontier has 1000 cargo the Razorleaf will 'inherit' this amount (it is shown in red, but seems to fit). Not very trustworthy. Ideally you would have two ships, one with a lot of cargo space, workbenches and a science lab, and another like the Razorleaf, which is for combat. But because of this silly and lazy cargo behavior this seems to be impossible.

But I am still learning and experimenting...

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 12. Sep 23, 07:20

Good Wizard wrote:
Tue, 12. Sep 23, 01:13
Falcrack wrote:
Hard to say. because it depends...
It rated PEGI-18 according to Steam because:

Violence
Blood
Suggestive Themes
Strong Language
Use of Drugs

LOL, one would think it's GTA VI :D

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 12. Sep 23, 07:22

Good Wizard wrote:
Tue, 12. Sep 23, 01:27
And now with the Razorleaf things are even more tricky: The ship has weapon holders and boxes - but on Reddit people warn to use anything except cargo, if you edit your ship, because things are lost, except cargo contents. So I am a bit unsure, and still wait. I have money enough, and maybe I will save before and test it. But I do not want to make the Razorleaf slower or less mobile :)
I don't know the Razorleaf - but for every other ship it always functions the same way:
  • There is only one active ship
  • Once you command a new ship, it get's the new active ship: all crew and cargo is transfered to the cargo hold
  • Every time you edit a ship with the ship builder, all items gets transfered to the cargo hold
  • Having an armory is pointless until you never ever use the shipbuilder anymore or switch ships
  • Having decoration in the ship is pointless unless you never ever use the shipbuilder anymore or switch ships
  • I never lost any item and I'm just using the cargo hold
  • I capture a lot of ships, try them out and most of them I sell

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 12. Sep 23, 14:16

I dunno, the stuff in my Captain's Locker vanished when I detached the cockpit to insert a new module. Was annoyed, there was some good stuff in there.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 14. Sep 23, 12:16

Falcrack wrote:
There's sex, but it's the 'fade to black' type. Blood, but not in any great amount (there's no dismemberment). Drug use, with a few addicts around. A few light-horror aspects in side-quests, but nothing graphic. Occasional use of harsh language... Ultimately, nothing too bad, just lots of (very) minor things.

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Thu, 14. Sep 23, 12:23

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 12. Sep 23, 07:22
<...>
I don't know the Razorleaf - but for every other ship it always functions the same way:
  • There is only one active ship
  • Once you command a new ship, it get's the new active ship: all crew and cargo is transfered to the cargo hold
  • Every time you edit a ship with the ship builder, all items gets transfered to the cargo hold
  • Having an armory is pointless until you never ever use the shipbuilder anymore or switch ships
  • Having decoration in the ship is pointless unless you never ever use the shipbuilder anymore or switch ships
  • I never lost any item and I'm just using the cargo hold
  • I capture a lot of ships, try them out and most of them I sell
The Razorleaf has an armory.

I experimented a bit with the Razorleaf. Turns out, that the selection of Hab Modules in New Atlantis is very small, not even the Hab Module of the Frontier is in the list.

Also - the armory is even worse than other Hab modules: The different weapon cases, the armor stands and so on seem to 'grow' items! I do not often climb up into the armory, but when I received the ship I cleaned the armory out, and removed all the items. Now, when I checked, new items where in the weapon cases and armor stands, seem to be leveled too. So the armory is filled from time to time...

And yes, you clearly loose everything if you exchange it with an other module. Since the Razorleaf is a Deimos ship, I will go look for other modules in a Deimos yard.

But was really annoys me: Decoration items are moved to the cargo, so your cargo fills up with clutter. But also, the items 'grow' in the ship again after a time, on Reddit it was discussed, there seems to be a time limit (48 -96 in game hours was suspected), also you need to be away from to ship, something like this. All the 'standard' decorations appear again, and should you just change the color of the ship, the same process happens, decorations are moved to the cargo, which fills up more and more with clutter.

In the beginning this was completely confusing, since I knew I had not picked up 'Nightwear' and similar items.

I hope they change this, a lot of people is confused and angry because they lost valuable special items, from the Captains stash locker and lying open in the ship. I understand that they wanted to help and somehow the cargo needs to transfer, but now the algorithm is much to aggressive, no need to do anything with the ships interior or items if you just change the color. The storing of decoration items should only happen to modules which were actually changed, and if 'redecoration' is automatic, the storing algorithm should only store items which are not on the list for standard decoration.

I would ignore the loss of decoration items, knowing that they will reappear after a time - but my cargo is small enough and it is annoying to go and sell all the clutter every time.

Also - a preview of the modules, especially Hab modules is missing. I do not care so much how they look inside, I want to know which features are there, bed, science lab, and so on, this is really important. Because 'experimenting' is incredible time consuming and annoying, every time you change the ship, run into the ship and look. Then restore a save from before - this should be fixed, a list of features per module should be shown...

Ship editing is a interesting and nice feature, but it could use some QOL work :)

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Fri, 15. Sep 23, 18:40

esd wrote:
Tue, 12. Sep 23, 14:16
I dunno, the stuff in my Captain's Locker vanished when I detached the cockpit to insert a new module. Was annoyed, there was some good stuff in there.
I had that happen, but the contents just got shunted to my inventory, which seeing as said contents were a whole heap of contraband...
Good Wizard wrote:
Thu, 14. Sep 23, 12:23
I experimented a bit with the Razorleaf. Turns out, that the selection of Hab Modules in New Atlantis is very small, not even the Hab Module of the Frontier is in the list.
Each shipyard has a different selection of modules. You've got to wander all over to get everything. I'm pretty sure though that the Frontier module is one of the very few unique modules you can't pick up anywhere else.

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 19:55

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Fri, 15. Sep 23, 18:40
<...>
Good Wizard wrote:
Thu, 14. Sep 23, 12:23
Each shipyard has a different selection of modules. You've got to wander all over to get everything. I'm pretty sure though that the Frontier module is one of the very few unique modules you can't pick up anywhere else.
I forgot to report here :)

The problem was the interface (and the person sitting and using it) :)

But really...
If you open the HAB list in the ship builder, it shows everywhere the same HABs. Under certain HABs is a line with '-', i.e '------' for example. I never would have found myself, that the HAB shown (2x1) is actually just one of a list of HABs with 2x1, if you select the 2x1 HAB shown and then use the left or right arrow <- -> on your keyboard, an entire list of different 2x1 HABs is shown, an there it was: Deimos Workstation 2x1.

I would never have found that myself, never saw a less clear and convoluted interface, but a person at Reddit pointed this out to me, because they had looked for the same thing and found it per chance.

I mean seriously? Who does such things? I may be at fault, at least partially, but this is in no way intuitive..

But problem solved now: I have a science lab and 4 workstations (only pharmaceutical workstation is missing) on my ship directly now...

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 14. Oct 23, 18:18

So far everything going ok !! ... Have not bothered with the "Lodge" Corporate tosh, did the Mantis mission and sold the armour, trying to make it as much a sandbox as possible, got some outposts,, game is a little fragile in places,,,,,, never used keyboard and mouse for flight and never will again ... but a lot of potential as they say from small indie developers ..mmmmm!!..... As you can see have no interest in becoming "starborn" ... There is a great sandbox adventure hidden away under the sheets.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 19. Oct 23, 14:56

Good Wizard wrote:
Sat, 16. Sep 23, 19:55
I forgot to report here :)

The problem was the interface (and the person sitting and using it) :)

But really...
If you open the HAB list in the ship builder, it shows everywhere the same HABs. Under certain HABs is a line with '-', i.e '------' for example. I never would have found myself, that the HAB shown (2x1) is actually just one of a list of HABs with 2x1, if you select the 2x1 HAB shown and then use the left or right arrow <- -> on your keyboard, an entire list of different 2x1 HABs is shown, an there it was: Deimos Workstation 2x1.

I would never have found that myself, never saw a less clear and convoluted interface, but a person at Reddit pointed this out to me, because they had looked for the same thing and found it per chance.
Ahhh. Thats the same interface they used in Fallout's 4 & 76, so I never gave it a thought. The same is used for outpost creation with variants being mainly either size or cosmetic.

After a fairly excessive amount of time in game, I have to say I'm finding more and more negatives about it, yet it's still good fun for me. I keep seeing little details they've obviously put a lot of time and thought into, yet the big things seem to have been slapped together with nary a care. It's... Odd.

Caldari Navy

Post by Caldari Navy » Sat, 21. Oct 23, 01:42

Starfield is fantastic space fps shooter , but total rubish spaceship game , if they stuck to planetary gameplay only its very nice game , i hate when there is only small size ships its like everspace /2

But i dont know starfield feels like mass effect andromeda science version whith actual space combat which feels like minigame .

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 22. Oct 23, 16:42

Still enjoying the totally sandbox experience, have explored the deserted "Colander",, Feared for my life as i ran back to my ship after disturbing some unpleasant creatures on Pyraas II and finally found an Ecliptic Claymore III on Copernicus VIII - a .. a level 30 system.. Very pleased I never followed the Starborn story line or made companions of the Lodge characters,, have a decent crew who can be a bit chatty. Graphics are not of Egosoft quality but the boarding of Va Ruun ships on Very Hard is a sublime experience. Like Ego games ..great value.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 9. Nov 23, 22:31

Currently there is a patch in beta (news on bethesda.net with changelog) which brings quite some bugfixes and introduces some new things (most importantly: DLSS).

Tried it out a bit - and the improvements are massive performance-wise. Before the patch, I had to play the game in 2560x1440 instead of 3840x2160 to keep fps around 30-35ish on my old rig (i7 9700k / 32 GB / 3060 RTX 12 GB) and additionally had to use both some ini tweaks and and a DLSS mod. With the current beta patch I can switch back to 4K UHD, cranking up most of the settings to high and still get more fps then before (35-45ish). Of course I removed all mods and tweaks before trying the new patch.

The game also looks way better - as me turning the resolution down to 1440p was also because I had to use an aggressive downscaling to keep the fps bearable. This is now a thing of the past =)

Still need to get a new rig though ... :gruebel:

Spoiler
Show

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 22. Nov 23, 10:21

There's currently a sale on the game. 20% off.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 22. Nov 23, 11:09

Still not worth it - I can have like 6 other games currently on sale for that price.

E.g. SpaceBourne 2 is now -40% which is a steal.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 22. Nov 23, 12:23

Beta batch went live: https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield/ ... er-20-2023

Most notably, the performance improvements including DLSS for nvidia owners are now available for all.

---

Still an awesome game, totally worth any price. There are discussions wether game A or game B are an alternative, but it is like X4 - there is only one game with that particular feature set. Where everybody places their priorities is highly subjective, there is no objective answer possible.

Most comparisons are nowadays Empyrion or NMS. SpaceBourne 2 hardly is mentioned. Choosing one game over the other comes always with a compromise. Both Empyrion and NMS lack the RPG elements and or their details in comparision. SpaceBourne 2 is still in development and has its fair share of problems connected to the issue that there is only one dev for everything. StarCitizen still isn't close to a release and can't be compared yet.

Spoiler
Show

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 22. Nov 23, 15:50

I'm albe to be very forgiving towards SpaceBourne 2 because the content is very atractive for asked price (even more with -40% sale), so even if it's done by one person the risk/loss isn't high.

Starfield still need a lot of time in the owen, despite huge development team and like 25+ sub-contractor companies - it's definetly not worth current price, no matter the -20% sale.
There is fair chance that with patching and release of creation engine Starfield will be like C2077 2.0 in a year or two, but not now.
Plus in a year or two there might be even bigger sale - I recall Fallout 4 was on deep sale a year r two after release.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 22. Nov 23, 15:56

chew-ie wrote:
Wed, 22. Nov 23, 12:23
Both Empyrion and NMS lack the RPG elements and or their details in comparision.
I like Starfield, but I would not take the RPG elements as a good example to place it apart. Its the most lacking aspect of Starfield imho considering it was supposed to be its strength. But I agree that its not helpful mentioning other games as comparison, especially since they are not really the same genre. They share some parts but that doesn't make them comparable games.

The patch is nice and all but there are some structural issues that wont get solved by patching and I don't necessary mean all the odd loading screens, but I'm also not not saying it. UI is really hurting this game, and that's saying something coming from an X player. Other major things like all planets having a gazillion POIs just close by and a rather flawed logistics system would require some Cyberpunk level of update imho.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”