Update ur bios if u got a am5 ryzen setups.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Update ur bios if u got a am5 ryzen setups.

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 27. Apr 23, 17:50

https://www.anandtech.com/show/18835/am ... c-voltages
https://www.pcgamer.com/amds-figured-ou ... lling-out/

Easier to go to link than me explain but, if u have a 7xxx series am5 cpu, AMD wants everyone to update their bios which should be up for download in the next few days to prevent damage to ur cpus.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Skeeter
x3

Re: Update ur bios if u got a am5 ryzen setups.

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 30. Apr 23, 10:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTngvvD5dI

Games nexus indepth investigation results.
[ external image ]

Toshis8

Post by Toshis8 » Mon, 1. May 23, 10:41

If a bios update can fix this, i assume there is possibility (however small that might be), that a computer virus could flash your bios with harmful firmware, that could do the reverse. A virus, that can physically burn your pc.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 1. May 23, 10:48

lol nah
[ external image ]

Toshis8

Post by Toshis8 » Mon, 1. May 23, 11:02

Why not? I've updated bios few times in the past using file in a flash drive. Isnt it possible for a virus to detect that file and change it, before you use it?

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 1. May 23, 11:36

Toshis8 wrote:
Mon, 1. May 23, 11:02
Why not? I've updated bios few times in the past using file in a flash drive. Isnt it possible for a virus to detect that file and change it, before you use it?
Its possible, but modern computers no longer have a bios, instead, they have a UEFI. And its a lot harder for malware to effect a UEFI, as the firmware update has to be digitally signed by the manufacture. UEFI firmware is embedded in a chip on the motherboard, and no longer resides on the harddrive. (like the bios of older MBs)

So the MB should not accept the update if it not signed, or has been changed. But there is a small chance of malware effecting the UEFI, but the chance is very low. (especailly if you got a MB from a good brand, as the MB will have better safety checks) (at least in theory)
=

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 1. May 23, 16:54

Just be aware that beta bios arnt supported for warranty. Its a risk to use beta ones usually f6b would i think be classed as beta cos of the b in there.

To be fully protected for warranty try to go for official releeases that are finalized.
[ external image ]

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 1. May 23, 20:03

[ external image ]

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 2. May 23, 01:21

EUFI is still a BIOS, it's just a different version but they both do the basic same job where actually EUFI is backwards compatible to the old BIOS, they are that similar. Also, it's worth noting BIOS has never been stored on a hard drive, as the BIOS has to be loaded for the hard drive to work in the first place.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 2. May 23, 10:23

felter wrote:
Tue, 2. May 23, 01:21
EUFI is still a BIOS, it's just a different version but they both do the basic same job where actually EUFI is backwards compatible to the old BIOS, they are that similar. Also, it's worth noting BIOS has never been stored on a hard drive, as the BIOS has to be loaded for the hard drive to work in the first place.
Your right, I stand corrected, been a while since I looked up where the bios is stored, I should have known better. However, it is possible for a virus to effect the bootloader, which is on the hardrive. (I too quickly read the wrong thing) if a hacker gains access to that, then its possible for hardrive to be wiped and the bios itself.

The Chernobyl virus is most notably recognized as the first virus known to have the power to damage computer hardware. The activated viral strain attempts to erase the hard drive and overwrite the system's BIOS as well.

UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It does the same job as a BIOS, but with one basic difference: it stores all data about initialization and startup in an .efi file, instead of storing it on the firmware.

This .efi file is stored on a special partition called EFI System Partition (ESP) on the hard disk. This ESP partition also contains the bootloader.

UEFI was designed to overcome many limitations of the old BIOS, including:

UEFI supports drive sizes upto 9 zettabytes, whereas BIOS only supports 2.2 terabytes.
UEFI provides faster boot time.
UEFI has discrete driver support, while BIOS has drive support stored in its ROM, so updating BIOS firmware is a bit difficult.
UEFI offers security like "Secure Boot", which prevents the computer from booting from unauthorized/unsigned applications. This helps in preventing rootkits, but also hampers dual-booting, as it treats other OS as unsigned applications. Currently, only Windows and Ubuntu are signed OS (let me know if I am wrong).
UEFI runs in 32bit or 64bit mode, whereas BIOS runs in 16bit mode. So UEFI is able to provide a GUI (navigation with mouse) as opposed to BIOS which allows navigation only using the keyboard.

I guess you could still call the new version a bios, or a bios 2.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 2. May 23, 10:46

matthewfarmery wrote:
Tue, 2. May 23, 10:23
UEFI offers security like "Secure Boot", which prevents the computer from booting from unauthorized/unsigned applications. This helps in preventing rootkits, but also hampers dual-booting, as it treats other OS as unsigned applications. Currently, only Windows and Ubuntu are signed OS (let me know if I am wrong).
RHEL can use secure boot
https://access.redhat.com/articles/5254641
So can Rocky Linux as of 8.5
https://rockylinux.org/news/rocky-linux-8-5-ga-release/

I'm sure there's plenty of others as well. It's been a thing long enough now to see wider adoption.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 2. May 23, 12:35

I copied and pasted that from another source, so it wasn't by my hand. I guess that was outdated by now.
=

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 2. May 23, 14:56

All you do is get the official bios from the mb site, stick it on a usb drive thats formatted and fat32 then follow the instructions to flash it.

About may the 6th i think it said is when aegis 1007 is due that isnt beta, and amd wants everyone on am5 to update to that as mandatory (if poss), tho i cant see everyone doing it as most wont know what a bios is especially if they just buy premades usually and plug in and play.
[ external image ]

Return to “Off Topic English”