Will This Run X4 well?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

XOOR
x4

Will This Run X4 well?

Post by XOOR » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 16:02

Good afternoon and a great weekend to everybody. I am so sorry to do this and hope I am posting in the correct place. I am a very old X fan have played every single X game from XBTF to X3 Albion prelude / Farnham's legacy however could never afford a PC able to play X4 Foundations until now =)

I have been saving up for about 2 years, and have never built a gaming PC so buying one from PC world for a extortionate price lol and really want to make sure the gaming PC I am about to buy will run X4. Hoping it will also run end game well as I always played on PC's that would crash as soon as there's a big space battle etc.

The PC I am looking at buying has the stats and links below. I would very very VERY grateful for any advice. I am hoping it will be a simple YES that will work, but worried about this Vulkan thing for the graphics card apparently the 3070 doesn't support it but the 4070 does however that would mean spending like 4k instead of 1k specs below, thank you to anybody willing to help me. I cannot wait to play come back to the X - universe =)

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/acer- ... 33221.html

1 = Intel® Core™ i7-12700 Processor
2 = RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 512 GB SSD
3 = Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB

Thanks again and glory to the Paranid =)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Will This Run X4 well?

Post by CBJ » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 16:08

Tech Support is not the place for hardware recommendations. Moved to Off-Topic. :)

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 3070 doesn't support Vulkan. It does. And this PC should run the game fine. I'm also not sure I'd buy a gaming PC at Curry's, personally, but whatever works for you.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 16:12

I'd go for a bit more VRAM on the graphics card (having a 3060 with 12 GB myself). But that's only me - 8GB is a thing of the past for me - especially if I buy new hardware.

You don't have to worry about the vulcan support - only very old cards / drivers used to struggle there. CBJ ninja'd me there

About your new rig can run the endgame - this is always up to the player. Technically there is no computer being able to handle an endgame with high fps when the player went nuts in terms of player assets. So if you e.g. build as much stations and ships as the factions have combined, then you'll get a slideshow, no matter how good your computer is ;)

What is your main play style? More combat or heavy trading / station building?

I'd say this rig can handle "normal" combat with a "normal" player fleet (a few destroyers, a carrier, a few dozen fighters). The AI fleets arent that big as that you don't need to bring 40 destroyers, 400 fighters and the like (that's way too extreme). CBJ ninja'd me there, too

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

XOOR
x4

Post by XOOR » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 16:45

Thank you soo much for the advice guys and yeah the Vulkan thing seems to have been a misleading google search on my part.

As for play style I used to make some big bases in Paranid or Terran space and then go out and hunt Split in a destroyer or M7 with a few more destroyers and possibly and M1 for support.

So if it can handle that I am over the moon and have not played a space game that gives space legs yet so this gonna be a great step up.

When I couldn't afford a gaming PC I played Elite dangerous on console for a while but ELITE and every other space game has just felt like a poor substitute for the x - series.

So gonna go buy that PC now and get back into the X - universe.

Thanks again guys you have made my day and always loved this community so thanks again (Old school fan boy lol) Happy flying commanders =)

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 30. Apr 23, 22:50

Look for similar setups at overclockers uk or scan. Them 2 places are big computer stores and u might get better spec for the money, and probs better support incase anything goes wrong.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “Off Topic English”