SSD issue

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rug
x4

SSD issue

Post by Rug » Mon, 9. May 22, 15:48

I've an ssd on my system. Been there six months or so I think. But it's developed an intermittent issue of disappearing occasionally.

It works fine after a reboot.

Anyone know how I can change its behaviour?

Thank you in advance.

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: SSD issue

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 9. May 22, 16:03

what is the bus connection set to in your bios? If it's set to hot swappable, change that unless you're planning on yanking it and putting another drive in its place while the system is on. Ideally, AHCI or RAID if you're using a RAID is the proper setting with no hot swap. Also check the power management of the drive in the OS. If it's set to "allow to power off to save power" change that to be always on.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 9. May 22, 16:25

Had a similar issue once but then remembered that it started few days after cleaning the case (hoover & blower). Turned out that one of the connections came loose. Problem solved ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 9. May 22, 16:35

Change the cable maybe?
When I reused the cable from my old CD drive, it didn't work properly. One of the things I was told was that those cables tend to break easily, so I changed the cable and it was working fine again.

Another guess: Maybe it is the power cable or an overloaded power supply? That is also something I observed when I had an underpowered power supply was that single parts like the network connection would just turn off when my GPU got a bit hotter ^^

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 9. May 22, 16:37

The number one most important piece of advice is to make sure you have backups. I've had two SSD drives just up sticks and die, starting with pretty much the same symptoms you're describing. If you're lucky then it may be something that can be solved, in one of the ways suggested by previous posters, but don't rely on it.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 9. May 22, 17:54

Is the SSD been detected in the BIOS? if it is, but not in windows, it could be the file system could be damaged, or something has corrupted the boot sector of the drive.

But if the BIOS is not detecting the drive all the time, then its either a faulty cable, or the drive is dying.
=

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Mon, 9. May 22, 18:16

It works fine most of the time, and always reappears if I reboot.
It just sometimes (maybe a few weeks interval) becomes invisible to the computer.

I'll peep at the bios and swap the cable and see what happens.

Thanks.

Fortunately it's only used for games, so it's not a disaster if I lose all the data on it.

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 9. May 22, 18:47

So it's sata cable 2.5" type ssd?

Change the cable as others have suggested.

Check the power to and from the power supply as others ave suggested. Cable coming out of psu a bit?

Try a different port on the mainboard.

When the ssd disappears does it disappear in the bios or just windows? Hardware vs software?

Run crystal disk and see how all the drives are doing?

For stick m.2 type ssds updating the bios sometimes fixes it but that's with all new hardware and updating the bios isn't risk free.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 9. May 22, 19:02

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 9. May 22, 18:47
So it's sata cable 2.5" type ssd?

Change the cable as others have suggested.

Check the power to and from the power supply as others ave suggested. Cable coming out of psu a bit?

Try a different port on the mainboard.

When the ssd disappears does it disappear in the bios or just windows? Hardware vs software?

Run crystal disk and see how all the drives are doing?

For stick m.2 type ssds updating the bios sometimes fixes it but that's with all new hardware and updating the bios isn't risk free.
I think checking the bios and seeing if the drive is there is a very good start, because if its there 100% every time. then its possible that some of the blocks that has windows on it is damaged or degrading. Or the boot sector is damaged. But if the SSD isn't showing up in the bios 100%, then its likely a hardware issue. That would be my guess.
=

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 9. May 22, 19:19

... but the drive shows up after a restart, how do you get into BIOS without restarting?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 9. May 22, 19:59

I mean, check the bios from a cold boot, and see if its there. I am thinking it could be the blocks on the SSD that is degrading. So its missing part of the boot sector. My thinking is that the SSD itself probably will need to be replaced soon.
=

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 9. May 22, 22:34

Not necessarily, it could just be a dodgy cable as others have said. I used to have a SATA-attached DVD drive in my computer that would randomly disappear from the system like this, and just swapping out the SATA data cable fixed the problem.

Return to “Off Topic English”