End war in Ukraine - Thanks Egosoft

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Techedge
x4

End war in Ukraine - Thanks Egosoft

Post by Techedge » Wed, 16. Mar 22, 23:43

This is not what you may be thinkng...

I've just installed Tides of Avarice and the first thing I've done was watching credits. Until the very end.

Then I saw that sentence, Egosoft put it at the end of the credits.

And I just thought it was right to thank Egosoft for remembering me of this time we are living in. But I also wanted to thank them for their work, which in some way makes us all "escape", for some moments, from all this.

So say we all.

Reprisal
x4

Re: End war in Ukraine - Thanks Egosoft

Post by Reprisal » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 05:39

I haven't watched the credits, however if they put that in at the end that's really nice.

I might watch the credits as I'm interested in who wrote the Avarice plot line, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 12:11

I'd rather games stay games and a way to escape reality instead of sticking in some meaningless slogans in completely unrelated games.

I don't need to see "Remember the holocaust, never again" in any game that doesn't directly deal with the holocaust. Don't need reminders of people starving in Africa in games that don't directly deal with Africa.

I don't need a reminder of real life in games where I go to escape real life, thank you very much.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 12:21

A very nice and sensitive placed gesture - thanks Egosoft. :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 12:23

I can confirm that the text is located in the current credits video. You can see for yourself outside the X4 client by opening credits.mkv located in the videos folder in a video player like VLC media player.

I find this quite appropriate given that many fans of X4 have been affected by the war on both sides.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:01

SirConnery wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 12:11
I don't need a reminder of real life in games where I go to escape real life, thank you very much.
You do not have the slogan across your screen all the time. Credits is a separate movie and is not related to the gameplay. So its hard to say the slogan disrupts your attempt to escape reality.
Enjoy while you can escape the reality because people who affected by the war do not have the chance.
Thank you!
Last edited by af_2017 on Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:05

SirConnery wrote:
I'd rather games stay games and a way to escape reality instead of sticking in some meaningless slogans in completely unrelated games.

I don't need to see "Remember the holocaust, never again" in any game that doesn't directly deal with the holocaust. Don't need reminders of people starving in Africa in games that don't directly deal with Africa.

Well, every game is in one way or another political. It is made in a society by people living in that society and naturally informed by their take on that society. That X4 is simulating a capitalist society in a war-ridden world is in itself a political topic. But even when used to escape real life politics, this escapism expresses at least one's view on how to cope with politics.

This said, the developer of the popular X4 mod VRO is Ukranian. And when I start X4 now, I have to think of him automatically.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:16

I don't want to be cynical, but "End the war" message was on everyone face for last 21 day, including Pope - didn't done a sh*t to stop this war.

Instead of writing the words or changing you flag on twitter, it would be much more helpful to do some charity for refugees or material support to Ukraine.

Words are cheap, actions are what makes the difference.

I highly doubt Putin play X4 or read X4 credits :P

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:58

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:16
it would be much more helpful to do some charity for refugees or material support to Ukraine.
We've donated a substantial amount, we're talking to several game developers located in Ukraine about how we can involve them in our projects and we're using our reach on social media channels to spread information about ways to help. Please don't assume that we're not taking actions, just because we're not publically shouting from the rooftops about them.
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 14:13

mr.WHO wrote:
I don't want to be cynical, [...]
I got good news for you then: you weren't cynical. You were something different but it wasn't cynical, so~ ... great success.

Now, as Gregory pointed out meaningful contributions can be made without telling everyone about what you're doing so I'm just going to assume that you have likewise done something substantial, or donated to charity given how visceral your lambasting of Egosoft for their perceived lack of actions was. You don't have to tell though, because this isn't a "I've done more" contest and every bit of help, be that AT weaponry, munitions, food and medicine, plain cheques to charities to enable them to make such purchases or even just a modest participation in keeping this conflict in the media cycle for awareness to help combat the ubiquituous apathy because yes, even a simple slogan can actually help the cause and it's something everyone can do even if their financial status means they can't spare money to donate for more substantial aid.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 14:40

Since this is rapidly becoming about feelings and opinions rather than gameplay, I'll move this to OT. Please carry on posting in there.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 14:41

Gregory wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:58
We've donated a substantial amount, we're talking to several game developers located in Ukraine about how we can involve them in our projects and we're using our reach on social media channels to spread information about ways to help. Please don't assume that we're not taking actions, just because we're not publically shouting from the rooftops about them.
Then God bless you for the real action.

This is definetly something way better and more helpful than writing some words in credits (which most people on this planet skip anyway).

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 15:09

Gregory wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:
it would be much more helpful to do some charity for refugees or material support to Ukraine.
I hope that "several game developers in Ukraine" includes Shuulo! His work on VRO and Star Wars Interworlds is legendary!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 15:49

We will not be making any comment on the situations or stances of specific individuals or companies in the affected regions, as their safety and wellbeing are paramount.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 17:33

Newinger wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:05
Well, every game is in one way or another political. It is made in a society by people living in that society and naturally informed by their take on that society. That X4 is simulating a capitalist society in a war-ridden world is in itself a political topic. But even when used to escape real life politics, this escapism expresses at least one's view on how to cope with politics.
No, not every game is in one way or another political. What does a game of Mario Kart have to do with politics? Wars have been around as long as there's been people. If you see X4 as a really political game maybe it's you who views everything through politics not the game itself.
af_2017 wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 13:01
Enjoy while you can escape the reality because people who affected by the war do not have the chance.
Yes, neither can starving Africans escape reality. Neither do people effected by cancer or mental illness. I assume you donate a substantial amount of your salary to help people in this war, otherwise you're just virtue signaling to people how righteous of a person you are for caring.

Props to Egosoft for putting actual effort to help war victims.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 18:28

SirConnery wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 17:33
No, not every game is in one way or another political. What does a game of Mario Kart have to do with politics?
I am not sure if you're interested in a discussion of this actually very interesting question, but for starters on the topic I recommend the following:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ry-117289/

(...and for Super Mario, here's an interesting opinion peace about the mobile spinoff Super Mario Run: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/opin ... itics.html )

X4 has quite a lot political aspects to it. The player can shape the political landscape of the universe, by participating in wars (or avoiding them), by supporting one faction or another, by even aligning with one faction (by getting their military ship licenses and their police licenses). Want the nationalist Terrans rule the universe? Can do that. Want to stop the religous extremists of the Paranid factions? Can do it. Or want to unite both? Possible, too. Want to just get rich regardless how? You can do this, too (but this is also a political decision then). These aspects are not as strong in X4 as in 4X games, of course, but they are still there (and they are one reason I love X4).

Anyway, I don't want to de-rail this thread.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 18:56

Newinger wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 18:28
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ry-117289/

(...and for Super Mario, here's an interesting opinion peace about the mobile spinoff Super Mario Run: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/opin ... itics.html )
The second article is only for subscribers.

The video game and politics topic seems to be a rebranding of the age old question of whether art reflects reality or reality reflects art. I don't think we're gonna solve that question in this thread.

Techedge
x4

Post by Techedge » Thu, 17. Mar 22, 22:17

SirConnery wrote:

I understand your point (and agree with you) but you misunderstood (or I wasn't clear enough): I wasn't thinking at all about the war in the moment I was watching credits, why would I? And I wasn't thanking Egosoft for their effort in stopping the war with a sentence at the very end of the credit roll (I'm sarcastic). I was thanking Egosoft for creating a nice shaped world where you can immerse and forget about reality for some time.
If you prefer, you can forget about your job, or school if someone is a student, or your wife if your marriage is not so happy... :D

The sentence (which I nod to, anyway) was just an excuse to thank the developers, not for a specific patch or feature but for the whole game(s) in general. :wink:
Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 17. Mar 22, 14:40
Since this is rapidly becoming about feelings and opinions rather than gameplay, I'll move this to OT. Please carry on posting in there.
Yeah, I'm sorry, probably a wrong choice from the beginning... but, you know, I always write about gameplay, I was watching credits... it seemed appropriate... :oops:
Gregory wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:
I have no doubt you did, as many of us have probably done something, anything in our power, in these days...

Bababa

Post by Bababa » Fri, 18. Mar 22, 04:52

Even more reason i wont buy the new dlcs. Western devs and their virtue signaling shenanigans are annoying and come off extremely hypocritical.

Egosoft has already fallen into the woke bs (they're germans...so kinda expected) and now they pretend they care about ukranians (spoiler: they don't) the same way they cared about Palestinians, Syrians, Yemenis, etc...or maybe, like the us media said, the non ukranians were brown so westerners (inlcuding Egosoft) dont care about them. So much for the woke image they created for themselves.

Egosoft is putting real life political crap in its game then has the audacity to tell us not to talk about politics in the forums.

Sad to see once-were great devs turning into this tbh.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 18. Mar 22, 07:05

Bababa wrote:
Fri, 18. Mar 22, 04:52
Even more reason i wont buy the new dlcs. Western devs and their virtue signaling shenanigans are annoying and come off extremely hypocritical.

Egosoft has already fallen into the woke bs (they're germans...so kinda expected) and now they pretend they care about ukranians (spoiler: they don't) the same way they cared about Palestinians, Syrians, Yemenis, etc...or maybe, like the us media said, the non ukranians were brown so westerners (inlcuding Egosoft) dont care about them. So much for the woke image they created for themselves.

Egosoft is putting real life political crap in its game then has the audacity to tell us not to talk about politics in the forums.

Sad to see once-were great devs turning into this tbh.
A person need not be "woke" or "politically correct" to be outraged by the completely immoral invasion of Ukraine.

Return to “Off Topic English”