Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 23:59

I guess they're too busy teaching propaganda in Russia to have any time left over for science...

Depleted Uranium doesn't have enough energy to penetrate human skin... I don't get how anyone with an education in the modern world can feel irrefutable facts can be swept aside for the sake of propaganda. I am sure the poster above is relying on the ignorance of others to validate their lie.

1984 certainly did come true in at least one corner of the world...

An article from non-state controlled press... What a novelty!

EDIT: I've not lost the plot, but another propagandist posted factually dubious gibber, to which I responded. It has since been removed, leaving me hanging out to dry! :)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 02:35

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 24. Mar 23, 20:27
This time they will go all in once they loose Crimea.
Here's hoping Ukraine can pull it off, and I really hope that they have a few aces up their sleeves. In other words, I hope that the Ukrainians have some Western weapons that have not been made public (e.g. long-range missiles).
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 03:11

Ukraine's air force is now allowing foreigners to sign up as pilots- looks like they are trying to get foreign aircraft flying in Ukraine sooner

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukraines-air ... 57339.html

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 10:52

notaterran wrote:
Sat, 25. Mar 23, 02:35
Here's hoping Ukraine can pull it off, and I really hope that they have a few aces up their sleeves. In other words, I hope that the Ukrainians have some Western weapons that have not been made public (e.g. long-range missiles).
I'm still convinced the odds are like this:
1 - Very high chance for successful offensive towards Melitopol to break the land bridge to Crimea.
2 - Depending on how good Ukraine and how bad Russia fare, some potential to retake some parts of Donbas, possibly even force Russia to abandon it completely.
3 - Crimea is still totally different beast - unless we see something massive (like a lot of Western planes and USA donating their AAV7 that they decomission), retaking Crime will only be possible with some kind of diplomatic deal.

Please note, that despite things looking bright for Ukraine right now, failure at every and any of those points will be grave danger to Ukraine.
Russia might be acting dumb for a whole year, but they still have resources to be dumb for another year or even two.

However, this dumb resouce dump is also major factor, why Russia will not use tactical nukes anytime soon.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 11:29

+1 for dumb resource dump :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 22:52

Ukraine is requesting an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council on Sunday after Russia said it had reached an agreement to station nuclear weapons in Belarus
Link

Just like North Korea, nukes are the only thing that Russia can really threaten the West with. And just like North Korea, Russia would cease to exist if it uses them. How many empty threats has Russia made already?
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 23:51

notaterran wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 22:52
Russia would cease to exist if it uses them. How many empty threats has Russia made already?
Do you think you/we continue to exist if the actually carried out their threat? Their central zone would be ash, but the UK would be very well gone. :(
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 00:02

greypanther wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 23:51
notaterran wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 22:52
Russia would cease to exist if it uses them. How many empty threats has Russia made already?
Do you think you/we continue to exist if the actually carried out their threat? Their central zone would be ash, but the UK would be very well gone. :(
It'll be over for everybody. That's why threats of all those small dictators are meaningless. "Do as I command or else" "There is no else after that"

Spoiler
Show

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 01:11

I seriously don't get why everyone is getting excited about Russia saying it's going to put Nukes in Belarus, I mean what difference is it going to make, a few minutes at the most, they are missiles that can travel from one side of the world to the other, so it makes absolutely zero difference if they are launched from Russia or Belarus, it's just Putin once again throwing a tantrum of zero importance.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 02:33

felter wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 01:11
I seriously don't get why everyone is getting excited about Russia saying it's going to put Nukes in Belarus, I mean what difference is it going to make, a few minutes at the most, they are missiles that can travel from one side of the world to the other, so it makes absolutely zero difference if they are launched from Russia or Belarus, it's just Putin once again throwing a tantrum of zero importance.
I think it's just about needing to say something that felt threatening, cos Putin and his crew must feel kinda impotent at the minute...

Having said that, these are battlefield (tactical) nukes that are being talked about, but if Putin were to even use one of the smaller ones in his arsenal, I can't see him remaining in power for even one additional day. (I don't think it would start a nuclear war, but I do think it would risk a massive conventional retaliation from NATO.)

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 04:44

Gavrushka wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 02:33
I think it's just about needing to say something that felt threatening, cos Putin and his crew must feel kinda impotent at the minute...
Not necessarily. Putin essentially occupies the Donbas regions that he declared part of Russia. All he needs to do, is hang on to what he has already taken and he can declare a win.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 07:26

Cherson was declared part of Russia as well, yet Ukraine had no problem taking it back.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 09:59

felter wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 01:11
Especially since Putin has announced several times in the past deployment of his nuclear arsenal to the Kalingrad (which probably never left the enclave in the first place).

Observe wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 04:44
Gavrushka wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 02:33
Not necessarily. Putin essentially occupies the Donbas regions that he declared part of Russia. All he needs to do, is hang on to what he has already taken and he can declare a win.
Seeing how Kremlin has been, and still is, changing the narrative of what constitutes a victory, he might as declare the victory without having single meter of ukrainian soil.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 10:20

If you have an hour to spare, here is a nice video about T-14 Armata, that give good insight to how Russian propaganda, industry and design process works.
All in a bit comedic package:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opSlCGLGQ4

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 20:49

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 10:20
If you have an hour to spare, here is a nice video about T-14 Armata, that give good insight to how Russian propaganda, industry and design process works.
All in a bit comedic package:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opSlCGLGQ4
I played World of Tanks, i know RU tanks are over the top. /s

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 21:15

Since the Ukraine invasion there are discussions that WoT needs a proper rebalance of the Russian assets. :P

Spoiler
Show

Acipeo

Post by Acipeo » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:27

Hello. I have a question. Why European countries or NATO don't want to jointly declare war on Russia and end all this quickly? After all, it seems that Russia is not able to win the war even against a weak Ukraine. Maybe it makes sense to end everything right now?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:35

Acipeo wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:27
Hello. I have a question. Why European countries or NATO don't want to jointly declare war on Russia and end all this quickly? After all, it seems that Russia is not able to win the war even against a weak Ukraine. Maybe it makes sense to end everything right now?
NATO's mandate is to defend NATO territory, and Ukraine is not a member. - And the idea of going into direct conflict with Russia is not one Western governments will willingly entertain, not least because of the genuine fear of massive escalation.

So they support Ukraine as best they feel able.

Acipeo

Post by Acipeo » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:41

Gavrushka wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:35

NATO's mandate is to defend NATO territory, and Ukraine is not a member. - And the idea of going into direct conflict with Russia is not one Western governments will willingly entertain, not least because of the genuine fear of massive escalation.

But Russia has already caused damage to NATO countries. And now Russia will deploy nuclear weapons near the borders of NATO? How can you protect the Alliance if you do nothing? Russia will always be a threat. Wouldn't it be better now to get rid of Russia while it is weak and while it has not yet deployed nuclear weapons near Poland?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:49

Acipeo wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:41
Gavrushka wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 22:35

But Russia has already caused damage to NATO countries. And now Russia will deploy nuclear weapons near the borders of NATO? How can you protect the Alliance if you do nothing? Russia will always be a threat. Wouldn't it be better now to get rid of Russia while it is weak and while it has not yet deployed nuclear weapons near Poland?
I don't think any serious government (or it's citizens) wish to see Russia 'got rid of'. - It has every right to exist, just as every other sovereign nation as enshrined in international law. - I just hope that more rational minds eventually realise the days of invading nations is consigned to history.

If any country invaded Russia, I'd be just as vocal as I am over Russia's invasion of Ukraine!

Return to “Off Topic English”