What refresh rate should my monitor be on ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

WarFrigAte

What refresh rate should my monitor be on ?

Post by WarFrigAte » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:20

What refresh rate should my monitor be it not a flat screen it is a normal 17" monitor, on my nvidia card at the mo my refresh rate is set at 60 hurtz Is this good or bad
Embrace the Boron
And the Boron shall embrace you!

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:26

Big debate to behonest. 60 should be fine. Mine is on 60 (17" TFT) and I can't tell the difference between that and my 15"TFT which ran on 75.

If the 60 is split "PERFECTLY" with the second then IIRC you'r eye cannot tell the difference at higher rates. The only reason people CAN tell the difference is that the refresh rate isn't perfect.
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Helion X
x2

Post by Helion X » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:27

ive personally have mine on 75 hertz.. my monitor is not very good and so are the graphics card :cry:

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:29

Health and Safety at work (Display screen equipment) regulations used to say anything over 70hz is okay, 60hz can flicker under certain lighting and this will cause headaches and eye strain

Aekhiv
x3

Re: What refresh rate should my monitor be on ?

Post by Aekhiv » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:29

WarFrigAte wrote:What refresh rate should my monitor be it not a flat screen it is a normal 17" monitor, on my nvidia card at the mo my refresh rate is set at 60 hurtz Is this good or bad
Higher = better

My eyes ache at 60; I'm fine at 85 though.

WarFrigAte

Post by WarFrigAte » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:31

swin wrote:Health and Safety at work (Display screen equipment) regulations used to say anything over 70hz is okay, 60hz can flicker under certain lighting and this will cause headaches and eye strain
Ill prob put it to over 70 then :) cheers
Embrace the Boron

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:32

WarFrigAte wrote:What refresh rate should my monitor be it not a flat screen it is a normal 17" monitor, on my nvidia card at the mo my refresh rate is set at 60 hurtz Is this good or bad
refreshrate should be over 75mhz if you are on a crt (not flat) monitor
if you are running XP you'll need nvidia refreshratefixer. :wink:

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:33

I'm not sure if I can actually change mine... Hmm...
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.

WarFrigAte

Post by WarFrigAte » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:33

'Lutz' wrote:I'm not sure if I can actually change mine... Hmm...
You should its in ur graphics card driver. If you cant then that is a helth and safety issue O_O
Embrace the Boron

WarFrigAte

Post by WarFrigAte » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:35

Wolfkin wrote:
refreshrate should be over 75mhz if you are on a crt (not flat) monitor
if you are running XP you'll need nvidia refreshratefixer. :wink:
Yeh I do have 1 of those lets me set it to 100
Embrace the Boron

Wolfkin
x3tc

Post by Wolfkin » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 14:36

There you go :wink: higher=better

RoguePhotonic
x2

Post by RoguePhotonic » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 15:28

^^ what he said lol...higher is better....I can only get 85herts out of mine at 1280X1024 but it good enough that I don't see the screen refreshing out of the corner of my eye.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 15:30

Moved to Tech Support because it is more technical than gameplay related. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you are talking about refresh rates for X², otherwise I would have to send you off-topic. :P

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 17:08

The actual refresh rate you use depends on what your monitor supports. Using a refresh rate your monitor does not support can damage your monitor.

If you do not have a manual for your monitor because you brought your computer off the self from people such as PC world or another place then the best you can do is try searching for your monitor online and hope to get the info you need that way.

Most cowboy outfits that build systems do give you the manuals for the hardware they fit. Its a shame professional companies do not always consider that important.

Welcome my dark sense of humour guys....eg the loose use of the word professional :)

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 19:00

Win XP normally doesnt go above 85Hz. Any less than that on a good monitor will lead to eyestrain in the long run IMO. I can instantly tell when my monitor is booting at 75Hz by the flicker.

Using Powerstrip I've defaulted mine to 95Hz. Since I have Vsync on all the time, a higher refresh rate usually means a higher FPS - not always the case but anyway.

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 19:11

Well, I just found out mine can run at 180mhz.

So it is doing now.

Oddly though when I changed from 75 to 180 my mouse cursor speed went off the chart! Dunno why!
People, LEARN:

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 22:07

180MHz, that's awfully much. Either you mean 180Hz, or 180kHz (in which case you'd be changing the horizontal refresh rate - what you're looking for is the vertical one). Or you changed your mouse frequency, judging from the fact that it goes rampant.

Anyway, I've just today found an option in windowsXP to force different refresh rates for different resolutions. It's in configuration menu -> directX -> DirectDraw tab.

But that doesn't go beyond 90Hz either. For forcing any supported refresh rate, I use a program called RefreshForce.

As for what to choose: the highest you can get :) (black or messed up screen usually means you're too high)

snafu
x3

Post by snafu » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 23:48

i have mine at 85 an it lets up to 120 in overide mode

Return to “Off Topic English”