A bit surprised...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

A bit surprised...

Post by greypanther » Sat, 20. Feb 21, 20:39

Am I misremembering, or did this forum used to be much busier? I know I have not been around here much recently, but this is very quiet. Makes me a bit sad for some reason... :(
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: A bit surprised...

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 20. Feb 21, 21:44

Well, Trump was voted out, Brexit happened and Covid has become a fixture in our way of life. :D

(Hmmm, the trinity of TBC - Does that stand for 'to be continued'?)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 01:39

I think it tends to move slower during weekend than weekdays. Kinda make you wonders if people tend to post more when bored at work and want some distraction, while weekend we all have better things to enjoy. :lol:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 04:18

I've been more busy in last couple years than earlier. Less time for random posts :)

We could resurrect my Atheism thread
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 05:23

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 04:18
I've been more busy in last couple years than earlier. Less time for random posts :)

Once perseverance discovers microbes on mars your atheism thread will probably gain a lot of attention :wink:

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 06:37

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 05:23
fiksal wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 04:18

Once perseverance discovers microbes on mars your atheism thread will probably gain a lot of attention :wink:
:D

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 07:41

It is a shame, but I don't think there was ever a massive number of posters, but some of the linchpins have long since gone, and that's meant there's been less to respond to, accelerating the, umm, slowdown.

Your polls and creative topics, Greypanther, was one of those pillars upon which this place rested. - I used to look forward to voting 'sausages' and was left with a great sense of wellbeing for the rest of the day.

Then there was amtct, whose pluralisation of everything (stuffs) and how he looked at the world slightly askance added to the recipe.

And the Australian chuckle brothers, Johno & Phillip Hughes, rarely post now.

We're getting older, and the rapid spread of antisocial media has marginalised places such as this. Every now and again, someone will stumble on the 'Carlsberg complaint room,' and a few even rest here for a while, but Facebook and Twitter means the decline isn't likely to be arrested any time soon.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 13:32

Gavrushka wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 07:41
It is a shame, but I don't think there was ever a massive number of posters, but some of the linchpins have long since gone, and that's meant there's been less to respond to, accelerating the, umm, slowdown.

Your polls and creative topics, Greypanther, was one of those pillars upon which this place rested. - I used to look forward to voting 'sausages' and was left with a great sense of wellbeing for the rest of the day.

Then there was amtct, whose pluralisation of everything (stuffs) and how he looked at the world slightly askance added to the recipe.

And the Australian chuckle brothers, Johno & Phillip Hughes, rarely post now.

We're getting older, and the rapid spread of antisocial media has marginalised places such as this. Every now and again, someone will stumble on the 'Carlsberg complaint room,' and a few even rest here for a while, but Facebook and Twitter means the decline isn't likely to be arrested any time soon.
I thought I was rather annoying to be honest Gavrushka. :roll: Totally agree about amtct, such a shame that he was banned, he very often brought a smile to my face, even if he was sometimes a bit much for some. Hmmmmm

Chuckle brothers! :D How apropiate! Where is Morkonen too? Personally I hate Facebook and Twitter!!!!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 14:46

I still regularly look and occasionally post on here. I very rarely look on Faceache and I never bothered with Twitter. I don't like those two either. Yes I remember when the Off Topic section on this forum (the older phpbb2 green and yellow one) was the place to be. After all, it was the first forum I joined. I much prefer forums to other social media platforms.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 16:06

Facebook does everything to antagonize people and push ads in favor of some magical oils, or just random things you searched.

Twitter is basically that but all public.

To make facebook work for oneself, one should ban anyone who trolls you, and only read news from web-sites directly, in order not to fall into the vomit-fest of anti maskers, anti vaxxers, holocausts deniers or flat earthers.

I tried MeWe. The only reason it appears better is because it hasnt been flooded by the above. Yet?
I am skeptical about their claims of privacy and ad-free environment, so we'll see, but they are not addressing the misinformation at all. So how are they different from Parler then?

My first search for news sites on MeWe and I find:
The Epoch Times, a conspiracy spreading site. And, do they have public comments by crazy people? Of course they do.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Sun, 21. Feb 21, 17:55

I think they activated the 'slow posting' feature and only allow a certain amount of sausage polls in this forum nowadays.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 09:07

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 21. Feb 21, 16:06
Facebook does everything to antagonize people and push ads in favor of some magical oils, or just random things you searched.

Twitter is basically that but all public.

To make facebook work for oneself, one should ban anyone who trolls you, and only read news from web-sites directly, in order not to fall into the vomit-fest of anti maskers, anti vaxxers, holocausts deniers or flat earthers.

I tried MeWe. The only reason it appears better is because it hasnt been flooded by the above. Yet?
I am skeptical about their claims of privacy and ad-free environment, so we'll see, but they are not addressing the misinformation at all. So how are they different from Parler then?

My first search for news sites on MeWe and I find:
The Epoch Times, a conspiracy spreading site. And, do they have public comments by crazy people? Of course they do.
Facebook listens.
I remember some months ago I did a little test: I talked with friend about horses, how to buy them, how to raise them, how to train them... In a few hours, both Facebook and Google - on our phones, were advertising come country fairs and horse-riding courses. It worked!
Afterwards, we realised we needed to confuse the system: we started talking about horse-based recipes, how to skin a horse, how to butcher it properly and how horse-meat cuttings worked. It worked again: meat cutting courses and restaurant ads popped up in less than a hour.

Now, there is another problem: a couple years ago I was talking to my brother about some bricolage tools for our father's birthday. When we saw him, off course his phone connected to wifi, and he ended up with tools ad in minutes. He bought the exact same laser level we ordered for him!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 17:13

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 09:07
Facebook listens.
I remember some months ago I did a little test: I talked with friend about horses, how to buy them, how to raise them, how to train them... In a few hours, both Facebook and Google - on our phones, were advertising come country fairs and horse-riding courses. It worked!
Afterwards, we realised we needed to confuse the system: we started talking about horse-based recipes, how to skin a horse, how to butcher it properly and how horse-meat cuttings worked. It worked again: meat cutting courses and restaurant ads popped up in less than a hour.

Now, there is another problem: a couple years ago I was talking to my brother about some bricolage tools for our father's birthday. When we saw him, off course his phone connected to wifi, and he ended up with tools ad in minutes. He bought the exact same laser level we ordered for him!
oh for sure, and the search and text info is exchanged between retailers too. For example if you search for something in same browser on Amazon, you'll get those ads on Facebook too.
Supposedly Google reads emails for ads too (and attaches that to your Ad ID) - but, either it's an Opt in feature, I disabled it, or it doesnt work well - I had no ads due to that.

Return to “Off Topic English”