Dafuq - did Microsoft just ransomware me? (Win10 cloud) - unintentional backup feature

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Dafuq - did Microsoft just ransomware me? (Win10 cloud) - unintentional backup feature

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 19:58

Today, for no aparent reason Microsoft OneCloud decided to put my desktop and MyDocuments into their cloud.

5 Gb free cloud with the option to select which folders can be synchronized.

However with X4 save that have about 1.5 Gb and other stuff in my desktop thta laso take about 1.5 Gb I decide to switch off desktop and Egosoft folder synchronization.

Now there is the "fun" to it.

For absolutely RETARDED way MS decided that, if I want to switch off the folders synchronization...dun dun dun...it will delete the local copies of the files while keeping them in the cloud.

All my desktop dissapeared, but fortunately I managed to recover it from the cloud.
Yet, when I switch off Egosoft folder, delete it from the cloud and then copy/paste the backup copy back to MyDocuments, the cloud copy them DESPITE the fact that I specifically selected NOT TO SYNCT THAT FOLDER.

I almost feel like one day Microsoft decide to steal/block my files and try to ransom me for paid cloud.

Edit:
As we found out below, the issue was that I somehow turned on the backup feature wich move desktop/documents/pictures into the cloud.
Turning it off solve the issue and now I'm back to normal.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Thu, 12. Nov 20, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Dafuq - did Microsoft just ransomware me? (Win10 cloud)

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:13

No, they didn't. You chose to sync your "documents" folder which is where the ego saves sub folder goes. With your documents folder being synced, what's on your PC is actually a cached copy of what's on one drive. If you decide not to sync a sub folder of that, the cached copy is removed from your PC.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:18

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 19:58
Today, for no aparent reason Microsoft OneCloud decided to put my desktop and MyDocuments into their cloud.

However with X4 save that have about 1.5 Gb and other stuff in my desktop thta laso take about 1.5 Gb I decide to switch off desktop and Egosoft folder synchronization.

For absolutely RETARDED way MS decided that, if I want to switch off the folders synchronization...dun dun dun...it will delete the local copies of the files while keeping them in the cloud.

All my desktop dissapeared, but fortunately I managed to recover it from the cloud.
Yet, when I switch off Egosoft folder, delete it from the cloud and then copy/paste the backup copy back to MyDocuments, the cloud copy them DESPITE the fact that I specifically selected NOT TO SYNCT THAT FOLDER.

I almost feel like one day Microsoft decide to steal/block my files and try to ransom me for paid cloud.
Never bothered with onedrive, this does sound strange mind, tried to google if anyone else has issues, not much found. just ways to try and prevent the service from backing up certain stuff.

my advice is, don't bother with this, and use a backup tool instead and make sure you got a decent external hardrive.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:22

matthewfarmery wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:18
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 19:58

Never bothered with onedrive, this does sound strange mind, tried to google if anyone else has issues, not much found. just ways to try and prevent the service from backing up certain stuff.

my advice is, don't bother with this, and use a backup tool instead and make sure you got a decent external hardrive.
That's not great advice. Better advice is to pay attention to what's going on with your PC. I've been using one drive since it was in beta as part of Windows Live Mesh. It's been pretty flawless.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:25

The problem is that Egosoft folder eat up 1.5 out of 5 Gb that I have on the cloud drive and I can't find a way to have Egosoft folder only locally but not in the cloud.

When I try to switch off MyDocument synchronization it say's this folder is essential and cannot be switched off :/

Also this is not about back-up, but mroe about having control of your own data on your own freaking laptop - I feel like MS is robbing me out of it.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:29

right click on your "documents" folder in file explorer, go to "Manage OneDrive Backup", click "Stop backup" on your documents folder.
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:25
Also this is not about back-up, but mroe about having control of your own data on your own freaking laptop - I feel like MS is robbing me out of it.
When you setup your windows account, it explicitly asks you if you want to keep your documents, pics, and so forth folders backed up on one drive. It only does it if you tell it to. Can't blame MS if you clicked "yes".
rebellionpac.com

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:34

The problem is with that mind, Windows 10 has had its fair share of issues. especailly with its latest major update that had been pushed back. It's possible that something got switched one that it shouldn't have done. I don't really use onedrive, I have an third party backup tool which I use, and that is really what I need. The whole cloud thing doesn't really suit my tastes. Especailly with PC security been what it is. and lets not forget that the windows OS isn't 100% secure either. (and countless reports of security exploits in all the major versions of windows to date.

That is why I prefer a third party backup tool. also lets not forget that windows 10, does have certain features that aren't in the user's best interest. When I installed windows 10, I followed a guide that switch off some of the phone home aspects of windows 10. And also, MS has cut many of its staff that are there to help find bugs and issues with software too.

Even if you don't like my answer, it's still sound advice. Don't fully rely on anything MS related, that goes for MS onedrive.
Last edited by matthewfarmery on Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:38

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:29
right click on your "documents" folder in file explorer, go to "Manage OneDrive Backup", click "Stop backup" on your documents folder.
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:25
When you setup your windows account, it explicitly asks you if you want to keep your documents, pics, and so forth folders backed up on one drive. It only does it if you tell it to. Can't blame MS if you clicked "yes".
You're right - earlier today a pop-up about making backup appeared and somehow it triggered backup on these folders.
I switched it off and now everything is back to normal.

I hate that many Win10 pop-up message are either useless (like Win Defender informing me that "everything is fine" after automatic scan) or so unclear on what pressing the button doing that I'm really confused.
The "make backup button" was described as "manage the backup" which would indicate I manage it...not straith - "you're stupid so I automatically make all backup in the background not asking or informing you".

I really hate some very intrusive updated/popus of Win10.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 21:07

matthewfarmery wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:34
The problem is with that mind, Windows 10 has had its fair share of issues. especailly with its latest major update that has been pushed back. It's possible that something got switched one that it shouldn't have done. I don't really use onedrive, I have an third party backup tool which I use, and that is really what I need. The whole cloud thing doesn't really suit my tastes. Especailly with PC security been what it is. and lets not forget that the windows OS isn't 100% secure either. (and countless reports of security exploits in all the major versions of windows to date.

That is why I prefer a third party backup tool. also lets not forget that windows 10, does have certain features that aren't in the user's best interest. When I installed windows 10, I followed a guide that switch off some of the phone home aspects of windows 10. And also, MS has cut many of its staff that are there to help find bugs and issues with software too.

Even if you don't like my answer, it's still sound advice. Don't fully rely on anything MS related, that goes for MS onedrive.
Well, IT security is my job and I've been working in IT virtually ever since I left the Navy. I've never seen any reason to make any changes to the way Windows operates based on some random bloggers guide on how to install windows. Most of those things are just panic over a whole lot of nothing. Nor have I run into any problems with updates MS has rolled out. I'm aware that some people with ancient hardware have had some issues but AFAIK everything within the last 5 years or so ago should be just fine.

Exploits get discovered and patched. That's normal for any OS and a ton of software of just about any type.

In truth, you don't need any 3rd party software. All you need is a decent firewall at your gateway, the OS fire wall and AV. If cloud backups aren't your thing, the OS has back up capabilities baked in. Unless you're a high profile target (like ultra wealthy or high level government job) or you frequent illicit sites, your chances of having any real problem is slim to none.
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 20:38
You're right - earlier today a pop-up about making backup appeared and somehow it triggered backup on these folders.
I switched it off and now everything is back to normal.

I hate that many Win10 pop-up message are either useless (like Win Defender informing me that "everything is fine" after automatic scan) or so unclear on what pressing the button doing that I'm really confused.
The "make backup button" was described as "manage the backup" which would indicate I manage it...not straith - "you're stupid so I automatically make all backup in the background not asking or informing you".

I really hate some very intrusive updated/popus of Win10.
You can turn off notifications for things by clicking on the notification icon in the bottom right and click "manage notifications" at the top of the pop out. You get a nice toggle list of anything that has presented itself to the OS to use notifications. Beyond that, I rarely get any notifications for anything really. I have some work related tools that I want notifications for, but most applications have their own method of providing notifications for things. But I don't get bugged by the OS about anything, other than a notice that updates are available after I go some weeks without restarting my machine.
rebellionpac.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 12. Nov 20, 21:28

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 12. Nov 20, 21:07
You can turn off notifications for things by clicking on the notification icon in the bottom right and click "manage notifications" at the top of the pop out. You get a nice toggle list of anything that has presented itself to the OS to use notifications. Beyond that, I rarely get any notifications for anything really. I have some work related tools that I want notifications for, but most applications have their own method of providing notifications for things. But I don't get bugged by the OS about anything, other than a notice that updates are available after I go some weeks without restarting my machine.
Yep, I just noticed it - they must have re-wrote it to make it more clear in some recent updates. I tried to switch it off about 2 years ago, it was described in such way that I wasn't sure if I disable notification or the actual automatic scan feature :(
I could blame that it could be unclear because it was lost in translation, but Polish IT language is straithforward derivative from English IT, s it's not something completely different like Chinese or Klingon.

Overal I'm fine with Win10 when it doesn't decide to do things on it's own:
- several months ago it decide to update my audio drives and it switched off my sound completely - I was lucky because I found a screenshot of some turkish MS forum, that I need to go to some deep menu in sound setting, tick some box and restart to fix it.
- Then it decide that for some reason it's good day to update my touchpad drivers...breaking them (the switch on/off keyboard functional key stopped working) - I had to manually reinstall the drivers to fix it.
- two times it decide to update my integrated GPU drivers in the background when I was browsing internet - the screen went black for several seconds - I heard a "beep" sound that is usually heard when something like USB is connected/disconnected.
It gave me "a hearth attack" becasue I though something might be wrong with my GPU. I only figured it out on second time when after sceen went black, I got to windows update and noticed the Intel display drives were the only thing that was updated.

It's always "fun" when Win10 update the shit.
I always book a whole day when I update the entire windowns, just in case, but fortunately whole windowns update is rather smooth.

Aparently MS will give people more control on what and when Win10 will update, so I welcome this change.

Return to “Off Topic English”