Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

silenced
x4

Re: Prepping and Panic Buying Question

Post by silenced » Tue, 28. Apr 20, 10:47

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 28. Apr 20, 10:42
some fun text
Why are you so cruel to your surrounding people? :rant:
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Wed, 29. Apr 20, 02:24

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tyson-food ... -pandemic/

Allegedly there are difficulties in the meat processing plants. Not sure how widespread. Tyson is the big chicken brand and chicken wings are essential. Tyson also owns jimmy dean sausage. I wouldn't take a bet on there being a meat shortage and I doubt there will be a mass panic but now is the time to stock up the freezer just in case.
Who made that man a gunner?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 29. Apr 20, 10:02

Masterbagger wrote:
Wed, 29. Apr 20, 02:24
I wouldn't take a bet on there being a meat shortage and I doubt there will be a mass panic but now is the time to stock up the freezer just in case.
Please tell me you are aware of the irony in this sentence.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 29. Apr 20, 12:10

What have most commercial sausages got to do with meat anyway? (Unless you use family-run farm shops/butchers, etc.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 29. Apr 20, 12:12

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 29. Apr 20, 10:02
Masterbagger wrote:
Wed, 29. Apr 20, 02:24
I wouldn't take a bet on there being a meat shortage and I doubt there will be a mass panic but now is the time to stock up the freezer just in case.
Please tell me you are aware of the irony in this sentence.
Made me giggle as well.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 29. Apr 20, 13:22

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 29. Apr 20, 12:10
What have most commercial sausages got to do with meat anyway? (Unless you use family-run farm shops/butchers, etc.)
I doubt there's any room for meat with the amount of salt they cram in each one.

I make my own, square ones, with mixed beef and pork mince and a few spices. Very tasty in homemade bread. (Also made without salt.)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 30. Apr 20, 02:23

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 29. Apr 20, 12:10
We honor the animals by using every part. The lips and anuses have to go into something.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 30. Apr 20, 02:29

I think "essential" should refer to those things that everyone needs. I haven't eaten any kind of meat in over 40 years. Meat is not an essential part of the diet and the meat industry should not be getting government subsidies or special treatment of any kind imo.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 30. Apr 20, 02:59

Observe wrote:
Thu, 30. Apr 20, 02:29
I think "essential" should refer to those things that everyone needs. I haven't eaten any kind of meat in over 40 years.
Maybe not every single one person, but I think you know there are more than enough people consuming meat for warranting it to be considered essential. I'll give a counter example: I haven't consumed alcohol much my entire life, yet most places list liquor-store as essential business even during the strictest lock down period - a decision I don't personally disagree. there are many reasons for something to be considered essential beyond the "I don't need it so it gotta be non-essential" argument. ;)

Plus, it's not much about meat specifically but the food supply in general. People have to eat, and if everyone who eating meat suddenly switch to whatever you're eating right now, you gonna feel the heat real fast, so consider that.
Meat is not an essential part of the diet
Yes it is. And yes I know you can totally argue how one can survive without eating (remember I'm a Buddhist) but that 100% not the same thing. It's "unscientifically' to argue otherwise, regardless of your opinion of meat and people who consume them.
and the meat industry should not be getting government subsidies or special treatment of any kind imo.
I don't think that's the point of the order. In this case I think it's to protect the suppliers from legal liability to stay opened with some assistance to help them improve safety as they continue to open.

Whether you think about the subject matter (meat), objectively there is little argument against the necessity. If you think the panic buy of wiper/sanatizer was bad, I can guarantee you the panic would be at least 1000x (and yes I know I typed 3 zeroes) worse if the population suddenly found out they can not longer get meat.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 30. Apr 20, 05:16

@Mightysword: What you say is true. Nevertheless, please forgive me if I have no tears for news of slaughterhouses closing.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 2. May 20, 02:36

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 30. Apr 20, 02:59

Plus, it's not much about meat specifically but the food supply in general. People have to eat, and if everyone who eating meat suddenly switch to whatever you're eating right now, you gonna feel the heat real fast, so consider that.
That is true in more than one way. If any of you took up my eating habits for a week you would likely end up in a very unhappy state of either going to the bathroom too often or not often enough. I avoid fiber like the plague. If I lose my staple foods I will be in a world of trouble too. It affects my morale and income to be tethered to a bathroom. I have more than a typical interest in staying on top of the meat supply because what I eat is keeping me very near to the same amount of throne time as a normal person and letting me go about my business without consuming drugs. I did end up stocking up additional bacon to the tune of 15lbs worth and added 20lbs chicken wings. That is about three weeks worth for me. I intend to get by without interruption. The egg shortage of last month did not agree with me at all.
Observe wrote:
Thu, 30. Apr 20, 05:16
@Mightysword: What you say is true. Nevertheless, please forgive me if I have no tears for news of slaughterhouses closing.
There is a beef facility West of Amarillo that just about made me barf passing by it. I don't think I have ever disregarded the speed limit as badly or pushed my old mustang as hard as I did that trip. That event was exceptional. It's a memory of smell that rivals all of the worst visuals I have seen in my lifetime of awful experiences. I will never take I-40 again to get to Texas so long as I live while that place is open. I know what happens in places like that is not pleasant. There is a demand for what they do and there will still be demand even if they close. If they are gone that demand will be filled. Likely by China.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 3. May 20, 12:19

Seeing local evidence the lockdown is starting to fray. - I live in a cul de sac looking onto a central green, so it's hard not to see the comings and goings of neighbours. - The drunken idiot who last month banged on my window at 11:00pm, along with her husband, is out every day in the car. And she's now started snapping abuse at another neighbour for going 'overboard' in trying to follow the lockdown rules. - Another neighbour and her husband, both in their 70s, are taking public transport daily and making sure everyone sees them going out - (the woman is actually strutting around the entire green rather than walking direct to the bus stop.)

How I wish their actions didn't, overall, lead to additional deaths. How I wish someone could find a way to pierce their thick skulls and let them see it's not just self-harm they're engaging in. -I've already decided if I get any more drunken visits from neighbours, it's a call to the police the next day.

Stupid people just gotta be stupid...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 3. May 20, 13:33

There's astonishing concentration in the US meat preparation / packing industry. This makes it more vulnerable to this kind of shock (and more able to lobby for aid). A more diffuse and diverse industry would probably be more robust. Of course that would likely come at the cost of increased meat prices.....

EDIT: According to the Economist four companies (including Tyson Tyson foods - chicken, and Smithfield Foods - pork) "integrate almost every stage of raising animals, slaughtering them and packing the meat, and thus dominate the industry". Even if these large operators stay open, assuming that they introduce sensible staff distancing measures, capacity and throughput will drop significantly.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 3. May 20, 18:00

RegisterMe wrote:
Sun, 3. May 20, 13:33
EDIT: According to the Economist four companies (including Tyson Tyson foods - chicken, and Smithfield Foods - pork) "integrate almost every stage of raising animals, slaughtering them and packing the meat, and thus dominate the industry". Even if these large operators stay open, assuming that they introduce sensible staff distancing measures, capacity and throughput will drop significantly.
That's why I'm sure appropriate measures (whatever they are) will be taken to minimize that effect. To point out something similar, I remember over a months ago there were some articles on UK's networks that the lockdown were affecting the workforce in the UK for harvesting produces that would causes tone of veggie rot on the field. Well, those were also the last time I heard about that issue, given the lack of follow up I would assume the situation either weren't as severe as expected, or/and steps were taken to ensure they didn't become severe.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 4. May 20, 15:27

The vegetable harvest situation in the UK is farcical. Nobody listened to farmers when they explained that Brexit would mean they would struggle to get their fields harvested. People in favour of Brexit cried nonsense and claimed that it would give jobs back to the British workers. Then travel restrictions started being imposed because of the pandemic, and farmers put out an appeal to British workers to come and do harvesting work. Guess what? Hardly anyone took them up on the offer. They ended up having to make special arrangements to get workers flown in from Eastern Europe (via quarantine of course) to do the work. The last I read, a flight from Ukraine was prevented from leaving the country because of the pandemic, and another appeal was put out for furloughed workers to go and pick vegetables. I've not seen any update on the subject since then.

There doesn't appear to be too much of a problem with the vegetable supply chain in the UK so far. However, how much of that is because they've found an alternative solution, and how much is because so many of our vegetables come from overseas anyway, I'm not sure.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 4. May 20, 15:37

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 4. May 20, 15:27
The vegetable harvest situation in the UK is farcical. Nobody listened to farmers when they explained that Brexit would mean they would struggle to get their fields harvested. People in favour of Brexit cried nonsense and claimed that it would give jobs back to the British workers. Then travel restrictions started being imposed because of the pandemic, and farmers put out an appeal to British workers to come and do harvesting work. Guess what? Hardly anyone took them up on the offer. They ended up having to make special arrangements to get workers flown in from Eastern Europe (via quarantine of course) to do the work. The last I read, a flight from Ukraine was prevented from leaving the country because of the pandemic, and another appeal was put out for furloughed workers to go and pick vegetables. I've not seen any update on the subject since then.

There doesn't appear to be too much of a problem with the vegetable supply chain in the UK so far. However, how much of that is because they've found an alternative solution, and how much is because so many of our vegetables come from overseas anyway, I'm not sure.
Same thing happens here. Immigrants largely take manual labor jobs like that, and right wingers collectively yell "dey tuk r jerbs!" but when farms and the like end up short handed, none of them are willing to step up and do the work. Such a freaking farce.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 4. May 20, 16:05

What makes the irony even richer is that most of the people working in the agricultural sector (ie "farmers") voted for Brexit.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 4. May 20, 16:52

Politic aside, the point is the governments anywhere will take step to protect the food supply chain no matter how much it inconveniences them. Like I said, more so than any other kind of shortage (even more than medical supply), and perhaps even more than the death ton from the decease itself nothing will make people panic more than seeing the food supply chain collapse, and any governments regardless of the political standing understand that.

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Thu, 7. May 20, 14:19

Not too long ago while shopping at Walmart because it was open and had thing s that I need. I got very excited because I saw a bottle of rubbing alcohol. It was strange being excited over what is usually a trivial shopping item. I think that that was the minute that I realized just how much my own life was being affected by this beyond seeing the headlines every time I go online. More recently I found a large bottle of hand sanitizer and was again oddly happy about it. I know that hand sanitizer does not replace hand washing by any means, but I am delivering pizza though this and it is my only line of defense until I get back to the store to wash them more properly. This is a reality created not by the virus, but the behavior of hoarders who do not realize that they endanger their own community when they do not leave enough supplies for other people to get. Fortunately stores here are now limiting the buyers to only one item of these type of items, which is the only reason that I am finding then at all. But now the suppliers are unable to live up tp the demand.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 8. May 20, 00:46

RegisterMe wrote:
Mon, 4. May 20, 16:05
What makes the irony even richer is that most of the people working in the agricultural sector (ie "farmers") voted for Brexit.
The type of comment always sits wrongly with me - strictly speaking it's correct. "Most" is more than half.

The original survey by farmers weekly was a self selecting survey (self selecting bias is well known issue), whereas a follow up put the outcome of farmers aligned with the overall national vote outcome. Meanwhile, the bile and hate for farmers you can read in places like the Guardian and it's comments is just catastrophic. I seriously doubt any have even read the survey or known where it came from, let alone the breakdowns by sector it revealed and reasons listed (namely the same as Joe Public at large mainly). It's amazing, farmers turned out to be just like the rest of the nation.

I've had to re-write this about a dozen times wasting a *lot* of time to strike a balance. My first attempt was just filled with links and a wall of text, but had to ask myself why :D

p.s. in 2013 the EU closed the seasonal agricultural workers scheme for Non EU workers, kinda why seasonal workers are all from the EU.

Return to “Off Topic English”