Zoom me in

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Zoom me in

Post by euclid » Mon, 27. May 19, 15:03

I think it was Poincaré who said that space is infinite not only in the "large" but also in the "small". During some research on the mathematics of zoom I came across this video and though it has little connection to the "zoom of space-time" I found it beautiful to watch (and listen).

I hope you'll enjoy.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Zoom me in

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 27. May 19, 19:12

Cool! Bit puzzled why he says it took more than 10Gb of RAM to render at the limit, though--the nature of the Mandelbrot set means it takes more processing power as you zoom in, not more memory.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 27. May 19, 21:08

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 19:12
Cool! Bit puzzled why he says it took more than 10Gb of RAM to render at the limit, though--the nature of the Mandelbrot set means it takes more processing power as you zoom in, not more memory.
Well, it's using an arbitrary precision floating point maths library - both memory and CPU requirements will grow as you zoom in because the necessary precision grows.

This is a particularly pretty render - very nice.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 28. May 19, 08:43

red assassin wrote:
Mon, 27. May 19, 21:08
Well, it's using an arbitrary precision floating point maths library - both memory and CPU requirements will grow as you zoom in because the necessary precision grows.
Maybe, but I find it hard to believe that two coordinates, their square, and the current value from the previous iteration--e.g. just four numbers!--take up 10Gb of storage!

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 28. May 19, 13:21

I assume there's some CPU/memory tradeoffs going on here and it's not just applying the naive iteration to every point in every frame of the movie from scratch!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Return to “Off Topic English”