Again I die...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Again I die...

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:43

letwolf wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:35
600 pounds? quite alot, in our country I can get decent rig in ~300 usd (used, obviously)
On my way! :lol:
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 11:51

With my budget, which was around £600, I managed a Ryzen2 7200X. It costs a bit more but still cheaper than the Intel equivalent and a very good workhorse, not just for games. Will futureproof you for a good while too. Just beware the Ryzens are a little bigger and come with their own (very good) cpu fan cooler.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

niksenior

Post by niksenior » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 12:11

£600 just get a Ryzen barebones deal.

You got a psu right?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-bund ... 1g-am.html

Raztax
x4

Post by Raztax » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 14:55

If you are looking for a good resource for information in helping put a pc together, (since you said you were not blessed with a lot of technical skill) if you are familiar with Reddit, there is a sub called /r/buildapc/ that is great for pc building advice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:55

ryzen is crap. get core i5 and be fine

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:58

letwolf wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 16:55
ryzen is crap. get core i5 and be fine
I was on a core i5 which was good, went to Ryzen. It was much much better. please don`t spread misinformation. Also you don`t even specify what kind of i5`s either. Guess you just want to look `edgy`.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:21

Someone said similar regarding Ryzen, I seem to remember in the similar thread I started in the Off Topic section, however the 44 answers in the Ryzen performance thread, here in this section, would put me off buying one... :roll:
Just saying like. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Methexonion
x4

Post by Methexonion » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:41

Just my poorly informed opinion guys.

I was asked to help on a PC upgrade of a friend and I transferred the question to a trusty and with no bias forum that deals with PC technology. I got responses from 5 members.... they all said that the latest AMD platform is the way to go these days (and for the near future).

It seems that the Intel chips have higher clock speeds at a single core, BUT the Ryzen offer similar speeds on all 8 cores (we were talking about the comparison between I7-8500K against the Ryzen 2700X) which in practice means that you'll be able to do anything else you can think of while you have any game running... streaming, photoshoping, compress/decompress archives, hell even watch a movie at the same time. Also there are plenty games (and more are coming) that make use of multiple cores.

These chips are monsters and also they are cheaper AND they come with a fine cooler on top. I checked on youtube comparisons and noone said anything different.

I cannot think of ANY reason to go with Intel this time (I'm planning an upgrade myself in a couple of months), they are just been left behind. Both companies have plans for newer chips next year, AMD guarantied that they'll be a backwards compatibility (no new mobo) already.

P.S. I had always an Intel PC

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:52

Ryzen probably best bang for the buck if you're on a budget. I vote with what everyone else has been saying.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 18:50

Methexonion wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 17:41
Just my poorly informed opinion guys.

I was asked to help on a PC upgrade of a friend and I transferred the question to a trusty and with no bias forum that deals with PC technology. I got responses from 5 members.... they all said that the latest AMD platform is the way to go these days (and for the near future).

It seems that the Intel chips have higher clock speeds at a single core, BUT the Ryzen offer similar speeds on all 8 cores (we were talking about the comparison between I7-8500K against the Ryzen 2700X) which in practice means that you'll be able to do anything else you can think of while you have any game running... streaming, photoshoping, compress/decompress archives, hell even watch a movie at the same time. Also there are plenty games (and more are coming) that make use of multiple cores.

These chips are monsters and also they are cheaper AND they come with a fine cooler on top. I checked on youtube comparisons and noone said anything different.

I cannot think of ANY reason to go with Intel this time (I'm planning an upgrade myself in a couple of months), they are just been left behind. Both companies have plans for newer chips next year, AMD guarantied that they'll be a backwards compatibility (no new mobo) already.

P.S. I had always an Intel PC
I work at home. Often I`ll work whie playing this game, or watching a series. The Ryzen is perfect for this kind of thing when work gets a bit boring. The top end Intels are faster, but Ryzen is an allround execellent workhorse. Also cheaper last I looked.

OwnlyMe
x4

Post by OwnlyMe » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 18:56

i5 9600k = 250€
only question is whether you get an overclockable motherboard
ryzen is crap for games... maybe that will change with the next generation

windows costs 20€ max (oem), microsoft doesn't like it but you can usually activate it, at least via telephone.

but i don't know what psu i'd recommend... i had 2 - bequiet and evga - both pretty expensive and widely recommended but both made my gpu scream, and let my graphics card cause interference on my active speakers via usb and normal mobo audio...(happened with an asrock motherboard and asus rog motherboard) and the first psu even blew up in smoke.

i just wonder how you managed to screw your pc 2 times in a row... sounds very suspicious to me.
Last edited by OwnlyMe on Fri, 14. Dec 18, 20:09, edited 3 times in total.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:04

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 07:41
Last week my graphics card blew, so I bought a new one. Last night my PC blew up too
That sounds like a power supply failure. A bad PSU will fry a bunch of things in rapid succession without being the obvious culrpit. You need to get that tested and make sure it's not the cause, or you're going to bleed money.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:08

You should easily be able to get the parts you need for £600 from this list.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/gaming-pc-build-guide/

OwnlyMe
x4

Post by OwnlyMe » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:13

Gregorovitch wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:08

they have obviously no idea about building a pc.
for example they recommend a non-k processor with a z370 motherboard
i wouldnt go save that 40€ on the cpu either. i have the 8400 and keep regretting it because it just turbos to 3.8 ghz while that 9600k boosts up to 4.6 ghz on all cores. with the current prices (220€ vs 260€) thats a no brainer.
you can get a cheap z370 motherboard to go along with it (bios update required) but double check if it works with the specific board.
edit: you won't be able to flash your bios on the most boards with the 9th gen cpu.. so better get a z390 board in the first place.
Last edited by OwnlyMe on Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:52, edited 3 times in total.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:20

OwnlyMe wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:13
Gregorovitch wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:08

they have obviously no idea about building a pc.
for example they recommend a non-k processor with a z370 motherboard
Oh, I think they do:

The Gigabyte Z370P D3 is a mainstream motherboard that will deliver everything needed to run the i5-8400. The board is capable of overclocking, if you have a K-series chip, though if you're going that route you might want something geared more toward enthusiasts.

Not that there's anything wrong with the Z370P D3. It supports memory speeds up to DDR4-4000 and includes an M.2 slot for a fast SSD or Optane Memory. About the only thing missing is USB 3.1 Type-C support, and there's also no wi-fi or extra accouterments, so for example SLI isn't supported (though CrossFireX is).

If you're interested in those extras, there are tons of 300-series boards for Coffee Lake processors, including new Z390 options. But if you're after something better than this Gigabyte board, you're probably also looking at a higher-end build, which we cover in our best high-end PC.

In other words it's a decent MB for £91, and you can even OC your chip on it, but if wanted to do that kind of thing you'd probably want a better one.

Methexonion
x4

Post by Methexonion » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:51

This site might help you decide Intel/AMD ....

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 4030vs3958

OwnlyMe
x4

Post by OwnlyMe » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:54

Methexonion wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 19:51
This site might help you decide Intel/AMD ....

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 4030vs3958
there's not a single gaming benchmark...
there you go:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen ... 38046.html

OwnlyMe
x4

Post by OwnlyMe » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 20:06

i think i got my recommendation list together now..:
i5-9600k = 248€
MSI Z390-A Pro = 123€ (if that fits into your tower... otherwise ASRock Z390M Pro4 i guess.)
windows = 20€
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 = 92€ (i have the g2.. as i said i have buzzing on my usb sound card and coil whine in my graphics card, but that might just be because of my 1080, i was able to get rid of the buzzing on my usb sound card with a dual transformer and the coil whine is only under specific work loads.)
total = 463€

Methexonion
x4

Post by Methexonion » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 20:16

OwnlyMe wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 20:06
i think i got my recommendation list together now..:
i5-9600k = 248€
MSI Z390-A Pro = 123€ (if that fits into your tower... otherwise ASRock Z390M Pro4 i guess.)
windows = 20€
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 = 92€ (i have the g2.. as i said i have buzzing on my usb sound card and coil whine in my graphics card, but that might just be because of my 1080, i was able to get rid of the buzzing on my usb sound card with a dual transformer and the coil whine is only under specific work loads.)
total = 463€
Complete it please with Ram and a cooler :-)

Kasrith
x4

Post by Kasrith » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 20:20

For gaming purposes, Intel still outperforms AMD. Even at the i5-9600k level, which is actually cheaper in the US (by about $20.00) than the Ryzen 2700X, albeit without a cooler.

For multi-threaded applications the Ryzen will typically come out ahead provided you aren't overclocking your Intel chip, which after OC, the Intel chips will still come out on top (but at a significantly higher price point).

Return to “Off Topic English”