Too many Windows 10 versions!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zetoss
x4

Too many Windows 10 versions!

Post by Zetoss » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 06:24

I can't possibly be alone in being bothered by the myriad versions of the same stupid thing with only minor details differing... How is a normal person supposed to decipher which version does what?

The short question: Is there a Windows 10 version that does NOT forcibly install updates? (WITHOUT messing with the registry and stuff!)

The very optional backstory to my question in case you have nothing better to do while waiting for X4: Ever heard of those people who physically lose a PC somewhere in their home and only realise it's plugged in somewhere because it pops up on the network? I'm that kind of person, even if it only happened a small number of times. The number of computers I have running 24/7 all year is 4 which probably sounds much for a single person but every one of them is doing an assigned task, I have programs running that cannot under any circumstances be allowed to get interrupted. Why? Because they're all handling ongoing projects for either work, hobbies, research or file management.

So far I've been lucky enough to get Windows 7 to work on all of them and I reboot most of them every 6 months for updates, but my game (+3D modeling +primary document manager) PC was probably built using one of the last versions of hardware that was ever made to work with Win7 so I will eventually be forced to use that horrid abomination called Windows 10. (Linux does not have some of the programs I need, or I would have already used it. Also games, you know.) As you may have already figured out, it would be an absolute disaster to have my PCs reboot without my permission and Windows 10 does exactly effin that. About a year ago I looked into the versions and found that W10 did in fact have a version that allowed the user to switch off the updates, but now I've spent an inodinate amount of time trying to locate this info again and it's either gone or reworded so badly I can't even comprehend its meaning any more. Obviously I'd also be interested in a license model that allows multiple PCs as a way to keep the long term cost down but I fear there is possibly no such thing available for anything other than corporations. Friendly reminder that I'm not interested in any shady software from questionable places, additionally such topics are not allowed in the forum which some people may easily forget once in a while. (I assume I can leave this reminder about the rule itself though? Mods please feel free to edit my post if appropriate.)

Oh by the way, if anyone knows if I can still put a Win7 PC together without buying used parts that'd be great!

Antilogic
x3tc

Re: Too many Windows 10 versions!

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 11:29

myriad versions of the same stupid thing
There are two consumer versions.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 12:38

I'm afraid that Win10 is intended to update in 'down hours' with or without your permission. There are various tricks and settings that people have used to reduce this occurrence (such as selecting that they are on a metered data tariff) but probably the best source of practical advice on this here would be Terre. Either give him a PM and link this thread, or perhaps he will just see it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 14:28

I've found windows update to studiously ignore your pre-set down or peak hours. Mid game, terrible - not connection, it's a maxed out disk usage. Check what's using it, darn you windows. I'm in my active hours ffs.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 14:53

Apparently, Windows 10 Pro allows you to delay updates for up to 35 days: CNET: Learn how to pause the next big Windows 10 update.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 16:56

it won't download during gameplay, if you put your PC in Game Mode..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 19:41

BugMeister wrote:
Sun, 25. Nov 18, 16:56
it won't download during gameplay, if you put your PC in Game Mode..
It's not the download that's the problem, it's the silent install :D
However, I'll look to see if I can switch modes easily. It just isn't supposed to install between hours x and y.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 20:29

I also have Windows 7 because I have programs that I have no guarantee that they'll work with 10, so I'll keep using 7. Eventually I'll switch to 10 (or whatever version is available), hopefully the OS will be more configurable in the future (if not, there are always registry hacks).
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 20:58

With windows 10 Pro your options are limited, "Active hours" allows you to dictate when a system can not reboot in a given day. you can pause updates by up to 35 days. you can choose the "Semi-Annual Channel", so the larger updates will only arrive when it's considered good enough for organisational integration, or something like that, feature updates can deferred for a year, security update 30 days. Off is not an option, I have trawled GPedit.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 21:06

Off is not an option
And should not be.

You want no security updates, you keep it disconnected from the net.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 00:30

Zetoss wrote:
Sun, 25. Nov 18, 06:24
...Oh by the way, if anyone knows if I can still put a Win7 PC together without buying used parts that'd be great!
There shouldn't be any issue. I think even the directx version issue has workarounds. I'll be putting one together in a week or so, so will post if I have any issues.

You can get the Windows 10 Enterprise edition... if you can get an Enterprise license, that is. :) That "should" give you much greater control over everything, including updates. I wouldn't think they'd deny administrators the ability to block/apply updates as they see fit.

Windows 10 is the "we know better than you do" Windows version. It's also the "we are going to take what we want from you and force upon you whatever we wish" version.

It's kinda like the BDSM of operating systems...

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:10

It was a while ago I heard that there are no W7 drivers for the newer Intel CPUs, might be options for AMD though but getting a W7 key could be the real challenge.

Don't know about too many versions, I have the option of Home or Pro but I'm clinging on to Windows 7 for as long as possible for my personal PC. Sadly, I'm coming to the realisation, though, that this is not a case of stick with XP until they replace Vista; Windows 8 was bad and 10 has improved that - a bit - but I think we're stuck with it and how it works.

Even at work, a small business so just 10 Pro, I find updates intrusive and even once they're downloaded, installed and rebooted you still have to wait after you log in while "We're getting everything ready for you..." Seriously? For each user too. I just want to use Google Chrome, not interested in Cortana's new hairdo so get out of my way!

I know I'm getting old and grumpy and nostalgic for the way it used to be all those (5) years ago and "the youth of today" probably don't care about their disk space being consumed with rubbish ('cause OneDrive) or the telemetry of their every waking moment being tracked and sold. But goddamit, I swear it used to be easier than this and, if you had a proper firewall and were smart about what email attachments you opened, no less safe.

:rant: over

If it weren't for Excel, MS Project and gaming I'd go Linux all the way. Hopefully there'll be a realistic alternative one day but I'll probably just end up grey-haired and bitter with a Playstation 11 and Samsung Galaxy S19.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:50

Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 00:30
Zetoss wrote:
Sun, 25. Nov 18, 06:24
...Oh by the way, if anyone knows if I can still put a Win7 PC together without buying used parts that'd be great!

You can get the Windows 10 Enterprise edition... if you can get an Enterprise license, that is. :) That "should" give you much greater control over everything, including updates. I wouldn't think they'd deny administrators the ability to block/apply updates as they see fit.
At my work we use Win10 Pro, and crapware is still being installed on windows 10 machines, even with an WSUS server. I think you need an updated domain controller with some policies to block those, and even with that im not totally sure you can.

Regarding windows 7 licenses, if you are on europe, you can check resellers, they probably still have a bunch of them.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 12:50

MarvinTheMartian wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:10
I know I'm getting old and grumpy and nostalgic for the way it used to be all those (5) years ago and "the youth of today" probably don't care about their disk space being consumed with rubbish ('cause OneDrive)
Um...isn't OneDrive just a cloud-based storage solution? So it just backs up the data you already have, it doesn't add extra stuff. I disable it anyway because I have no interest in using it, which takes about 2 seconds...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 17:48

korio wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:50
At my work we use Win10 Pro, and crapware is still being installed on windows 10 machines, even with an WSUS server. I think you need an updated domain controller with some policies to block those, and even with that im not totally sure you can.

Regarding windows 7 licenses, if you are on europe, you can check resellers, they probably still have a bunch of them.
Hmm... Maybe get Windows 10, CHINA EDITION! :) For Win 10 privacy, you need the China Government Edition

I thought Enterprise Edition had some of the crap stripped out of it or, at the very least, allowed admins much more control over it. Anyone?
pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 12:50
Um...isn't OneDrive just a cloud-based storage solution? So it just backs up the data you already have, it doesn't add extra stuff. I disable it anyway because I have no interest in using it, which takes about 2 seconds...
Yeah, but Windows/Micro$oft still monitor your activity with it...

"You're not signed into OneDrive! ZOMGZ HORRY SHEET U BETTER SINE IN NAOW! OMG DO U KNOW WHAT MITE HAPPENZ IF U DUNT!"

I hate Microsoft. I hope their text reader/recorder records that and ships it off in a nice packet to Micro$oft so they'll know how much I now loathe them. Hey, Micro$oft! You know that funny "wang" taste in your coffee right now? Yeah... You're friggin' welcome you bunch of jerks. That's how I feel every time I boot Win 10. Friggin infofascists....

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 20:04

Morkonan wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 17:48
"You're not signed into OneDrive! ZOMGZ HORRY SHEET U BETTER SINE IN NAOW! OMG DO U KNOW WHAT MITE HAPPENZ IF U DUNT!"
I've managed to stop OneDrive by creating an account without a Microsoft account, and then stopping it being launched during the start-up sequence.

Back to the topic. Both Intel and AMD are dropping Win7 support from their new platforms and driver support by third parties is dying out.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 21:05

Terre wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 20:04
...Back to the topic. Both Intel and AMD are dropping Win7 support from their new platforms and driver support by third parties is dying out.
I find this news disturbing...

Windows 10 should not exist as it is. It's a heretical affront to one's sensibilities and should be expunged... BY THE EMPEROR, THIS IS HERESY! Does everyone want to abandon reason so they can hook onto a dataminer? Probably so.

Linux is looking better and better.

"Our OS is the most secure, yet! It only gives us access to all of your data... Only for our "Consumer Happiness And Fulfillment of Your Life's Goals Joy Center" "research" and "diagnostics" support programs, of course. All totally anonymous, really. Srsly. For true. TRUST US OR ELSE!"

"It will login and Update or it gets the hose again."

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 08:22

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 12:50
MarvinTheMartian wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 09:10
I know I'm getting old and grumpy and nostalgic for the way it used to be all those (5) years ago and "the youth of today" probably don't care about their disk space being consumed with rubbish ('cause OneDrive)
What I meant was, they don't care about disk space because of cloud storage so you don't need local storage any more, until you run out of it and don't know why
Spoiler
Show
Terre wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 20:04
I've managed to stop OneDrive by creating an account without a Microsoft account, and then stopping it being launched during the start-up sequence.
And you've just given them what they want, an account that links everything you do on your private computer to everything else they know about you.
My bad, I saw "without a Microsoft account" and read "with".
Not saying it's a conspiracy, it's 21st century marketing. It just bothers me that it's harder and harder to be truly "offline" any more, fewer and fewer options. I use systems like PiHole and TOR Browser just to cut out the stuff that provides me with no benefit, if a site/service provides me with value then I'm happy to subscribe and pay for it or allow adverts, I just want to have a choice - Windows 10 makes that very hard, intentionally.

Back to Win10 versions, I'd be happy with the EU version where you can choose not to have IE as with every update I get IE and Edge are reenabled/reinstalled and asking me to be default again.
Last edited by MarvinTheMartian on Wed, 28. Nov 18, 08:54, edited 3 times in total.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 12:22

MarvinTheMartian wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 08:22
And you've just given them what they want, an account that links everything you do on your private computer to everything else they know about you.
He said that he created a local account which is *not* linked to a Microsoft online account?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 17:19

I'm annoyed with YOU MUST PATCH OUR FEATURES that underpins the update method in Win10. They just can't stop breaking stuff. User files being wiped(!), file associations for x32 apps breaking and not sticking, media player breaking. It makes a mockery of mandatory updates.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “Off Topic English”