Brazil's Election: Back to Military Dictatorship?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

notaterran
x3tc

Brazil's Election: Back to Military Dictatorship?

Post by notaterran » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 00:25

Mr Bolsonaro will be sworn in on 1 January 2019 and replace outgoing President Michel Temer, who is leaving office with a record low approval rating of 2%.
Link

2% approval? That's hardcore.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

silenced
x4

Re: Brazil's Election: Back to Military Dictatorship?

Post by silenced » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 06:17

Well, a military dictatorship is nothing bad per se. We need to wait and see what happens. Give him / them a chance.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 19:09

Brazil's economy sucks after decades of mismanagement and plain ol' "dumbassery economics." I'm surprised the country still exists. There has to be some kind of resilience there to have kept it from collapsing, so whoever gets in power needs to grab hold of that while it's still around.

I don't know what the general sentiment is of most Brazilians. It'd be nice to know. But, I think most people just don't give a crap who's in charge as long as they're not stealing everything that isn't nailed down and as long as the economy improves.

That's good... and very bad. Situations like that allow people with extreme views and policies to grasp power. We'll just have to see how it all works out. But, if the economy doesn't get back on track, look for even more "far side" people to start rising in popularity.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 31. Oct 18, 20:05

I am concerned what impact his policies will have on the Amazon rain forests. I see they are withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement. I understand the economic temptations, but life on Earth needs such forests. Too bad we can't "internationalize" such resources that are essential for the benefit of all.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Wed, 31. Oct 18, 21:00

Isn't this the guy who got shot? For most dictators the bullets go the other way ...

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Thu, 1. Nov 18, 01:56

Brasil didn't have a great time during the dictatorship(s). This guy supports torture and mass killings, never mind that he was around during those times. As for the election, you'd think women would've been turned off by this.

@Aye Capn: Bolsonaro got stabbed.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 2. Nov 18, 01:11

Aye Capn wrote:
Wed, 31. Oct 18, 21:00
Isn't this the guy who got shot? For most dictators the bullets go the other way ...
He got stabbed. But yeah, ironic isn't it? ;)
notaterran wrote:
Thu, 1. Nov 18, 01:56
As for the election, you'd think women would've been turned off by this.
Heh, knew this video gonna come up eventually. If I gonna give you the short explanation, then I will say it's this kind of shallow reasoning that cost Hilary Clinton in the last election. "How can a woman vote for Trump after all what he said!", or "if you are women I can't understand why you don't vote for Hilary!" A lot of people will take anything at face value, but others are more ... multiple dimensionals than that. Even if someone find what Trump said about woman offensive, they still find certain things that Hilary did (or didn't do) even more offensive to women value. Not saying you have to agree with them, but people are not necessary one dimensional.

For those who's wondering what this is about, the issue of this video is Bolsonaro (the far right dude who just won the election), while arguing with Maria de Rosario (another politician from Brazil communist party) he said this: if I am a rapist I still wouldn't rape you because "you're too ugly for it/you don't even deserve it" ... depending on how literal you want the translation to be. Now of course that's a very bad thing to say, but since we live in an age where people are happy jippy passing judgement base on one line of quote from twitter instead of reading an entire article, here is a the full context for those who wish to be informed:

- In 2003, a 16 year old called Champinha kidnapped a couple, raped the girl multiple times in front of her boyfriend, then tortured and killed both of them.
- If someone is tried as a minor in Brazil they get at most 3 years and then set free
- Because of this case there was a discussion at the time about lowering the minimum criminal age in Brazil from 18 to 16, Bolsonaro was one of the people in favor.
- Maria de Rosario is someone who argue against that change. Her reasoning is sound: it wasn't Champinha fault, but the society. This stand make her a "defender of a rapist" in many people eyes.
- In this video, Bolsonaro and Maria ran into each other an argument, it got heated, and this sequences of talk happen:

+ Maria: You are the one who promote this type of crime (raping).
+ Bolsonaro: I'm the one who promotes it? (asked twice)
+ Maria: yes! (affirm twice)
+ Bolsonaro: I' am a rapist?
+ Maria: yes!
+ Bolsonaro: If I were a rapist I wouldn't rape you because you don't deserve it!
+ Maria: WTF YOU JUST SAID, I GONNA SLAP YOU!!!
+ Bolsonaro: I'll SLAP YOU TOO BITCH!

And yeah ... I'm not being hyperbole ... that's what happened in the video. Now while I will not pass judgement, I hope I'm not the only one seeing the healthy of irony in that sequence of event. Also no matter how you think about this issue (whose side you take, who you think are wrong ...etc...) but if there are other people who think or see it differently than you ... I don't think it's hard to understand why. And and while we're at it, don't you think this is earilee similar to what happening in US politic right now? :sceptic:

And such is the sad state of our politic. :cry:
Last edited by Mightysword on Fri, 2. Nov 18, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Fri, 2. Nov 18, 01:28

You're from Brazil? I hope he turns out for you guys as well as Trump turned out for us. You never can tell with guys like that; it's a crap shoot.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 2. Nov 18, 19:32

Mightysword wrote:
Fri, 2. Nov 18, 01:11
- In this video, Bolsonaro and Maria ran into each other an argument, it got heated, and this sequences of talk happen:

+ Maria: You are the one who promote this type of crime (raping).
+ Bolsonaro: I'm the one who promotes it? (asked twice)
+ Maria: yes! (affirm twice)
+ Bolsonaro: I' am a rapist?
+ Maria: yes!
+ Bolsonaro: If I were a rapist I wouldn't rape you because you don't deserve it!
+ Maria: WTF YOU JUST SAID, I GONNA SLAP YOU!!!
+ Bolsonaro: I'll SLAP YOU TOO BITCH!

And yeah ... I'm not being hyperbole ... that's what happened in the video. Now while I will not pass judgement, I hope I'm not the only one seeing the healthy of irony in that sequence of event. Also no matter how you think about this issue (whose side you take, who you think are wrong ...etc...) but if there are other people who think or see it differently than you ... I don't think it's hard to understand why. And and while we're at it, don't you think this is earilee similar to what happening in US politic right now? :sceptic:

And such is the sad state of our politic. :cry:
Thank you for that synopsis and for putting that quotation in context!

Although, in the vid, he did push her away, the first to make physical contact. That isn't something that can be condoned. No, it wasn't forceful, but it doesn't take much given their size difference. If he was physically intimidated by her invading his "personal space," which she barely did and certainly not in a threatening manner, he should have stepped back, no matter how angry he may have been. And, resorting to name-calling isn't a good trait, either. it shows he can't maintain his composure.

But, thanks for clearing up that quote, which we see repeated a lot in regards to him. Now the context for it is better known and I can see how, in that case, he would have gotten a bit angry.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 3. Nov 18, 04:05

Morkonan wrote:
Fri, 2. Nov 18, 19:32
But, thanks for clearing up that quote, which we see repeated a lot in regards to him. Now the context for it is better known and I can see how, in that case, he would have gotten a bit angry.
Bolsonaro is certainly NOT an angel, in fact this is hardly the most controversial things he had done. The reason that quote got repeated all the time because its sole purpose is to drive this narrative:
notaterran wrote:
Thu, 1. Nov 18, 01:56
As for the election, you'd think women would've been turned off by this.
Because as you can see, without context, that certainly what it delivered.

And even with context, will it shows him any more less respect for women? Actually I don't think so. The point I'm trying to make here (and have always been trying to make for 2 years) is that context is King. Does knowing the full context change a person's opinion about Bolsonaro as a person? Not necessary, it doesn't for me. However even if your opinion and judgement does not change, a decision made while aware of all the facts is still better than a decision made based on one-sided propaganda, even if the decision is the same. Think about it similar to how two students who both Aced a math test, but one did it because he understands the problem, while the other did it purely through memorization.

For a very important reason: because it enable you to see and understand the people you disagree with.. As you just had demonstrated, at the very least it made you pause and think about the other side. It saves yourself from making the callous statements such as "I don't understand why someone would do this", it also saves yourself the need of fabricating twisted assumptions about those we disagree, two things that happens on a regular basic. Because if we can understand each others, then I think at least we can respect each others (again, which is something is short supply these days). Hell, forget about agreeing and unifying with each other, just understand each others is already a bloody good start. I only borrow the context behind this video as a mere example to illustrate my point. :)

To quote one of my favorite TV show and character:
You do not wish to know ... anything. You wish ... only to speak. That which you know ... you ignore because it is inconvenience. That which you do not know ... you invent!
Disclaimer: when I say you, it's not you specifically, just the you in general.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Return to “Off Topic English”