Forums: What is "Add Foe"?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tycow
x4

Re: Forums: What is "Add Foe"?

Post by Tycow » Fri, 5. Oct 18, 23:04

Morkonan wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 18:27
PS: And, most people probably won't read this post, since I bet I'm on a buttload of squelch lists... :)
Did someone hear something? :gruebel:

( :D )

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 04:27

Morkonan wrote:
I've never understood squelch/ignore lists for forums. Sure, I "understand" it, but it's stupid... If one doesn't want to read someone's posts, then just don't read them. And, if one can't resolve a personal conflict, try more betterer or just stop interacting with that individual. We don't live in a world where you can just squelch people until the only ones left are the ones you like.

IMO, squelch tools just encourage conflict.

PS: And, most people probably won't read this post, since I bet I'm on a buttload of squelch lists... :)
You will tell me if you prefer pancakes or waffles. If you do not consume breakfast staples in the same order of preference that I do then I will silence you forever! Because I can't handle your views on breakfast and muting is the only petty power I will ever have over you. Choose your next words carefully.
Who made that man a gunner?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 10:20

Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 6. Oct 18, 04:27
You will tell me if you prefer pancakes or waffles.
What if I don't eat either of those things for breakfast? :)

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 14:38

Chips wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 19:36
I may use it - but not how you'd imagine...

More of a post minimiser - it'd save an awful lot of scrolling in some discussions :twisted: :twisted:
I know exactly who you're referring too. :twisted: :lol:
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 14:43

Not a bad comment coming from username 'silenced'. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 17:31

As the moderators don their sou westers in preparation for the launch of X4 I wonder how many will look at " Add Foe " with longing eyes.. and wish !!!
Or maybe not .... time will tell .. :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 19:29

Not really. We're collectively building a superior AGI to read all the posts automatically and check them against the forum rules and against spammer databases. We can't decide what to call the AGI though - the current front runner being 'The Terre'. ('The CBJ' AGI name was already taken.) :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 01:09

OmegaKnight wrote:
Thu, 4. Oct 18, 06:44
Isn't the world already being filled with enough echo chambers, without adding options like this.
Always liked this forum for it's healthy debates.
This place USED to have healthy debates

It does not anymore unless you conform to certain peoples views.

I used to have some really good debates on here.

Now you can be guilty of 'wrong think'
Morkonan wrote:
I've never understood squelch/ignore lists for forums. Sure, I "understand" it, but it's stupid... If one doesn't want to read someone's posts, then just don't read them. And, if one can't resolve a personal conflict, try more betterer or just stop interacting with that individual. We don't live in a world where you can just squelch people until the only ones left are the ones you like.

IMO, squelch tools just encourage conflict.

I agree with all except the last

You will likely not be on that many ignore lists

Me on the other hand....

Well I could make a running bet on how many ignore or "squelch" lists as you put it I am on and if its not high now I'm sure it will be once I remind them off alternative views!

I honestly think my detractors could not take one day as me...

Though there is a silver lining - if Im on 'foe lists' then my enemies (literally!) will not be posting as much crap in response to me! I can definitely see the silver lining there! :lol: :lol:

#how many Ignore/bann lists am I on now
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 9. Oct 18, 04:13

Skism wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 01:09
...You will likely not be on that many ignore lists

Me on the other hand....
You need a catchy forum Avatar. Something that attracts the eye. Something flashy, but with taste. Boobs wouldn't hurt, either... :) Add a neato "Signature," too, for good measure. Nothing pompous or pretentious, just something interesting. Maybe give it a graphic, too?

A fresh coat of paint can hide almost anything. ;) :)
Masterbagger wrote:
Sat, 6. Oct 18, 04:27
You will tell me if you prefer pancakes or waffles. If you do not consume breakfast staples in the same order of preference that I do then I will silence you forever! Because I can't handle your views on breakfast and muting is the only petty power I will ever have over you. Choose your next words carefully.
Sorry I missed this.

Uh... I don't eat breakfast. In fact, I only eat once a day, with maybe some little snack or something during the day. But, that's it - One meal a day. Oh, and I don't always eat a meal every day. I will usually eat something, if only a protein bar, some fruit or a single-serve pack of veggies and some yogurt dip or something.

Which do I prefer, pancakes or waffles?

That depends on the waitress. It may even depend on what she likes for breakfast... :)

(Honestly, I prefer waffles. I had far too many pancakes as a kid because pancakes were extremely cheap to make.)

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 16:05

I could care less about these features, they do come handy for short cuts if you contact people frequently, as the friends list will be displayed in the PM menu too.

@Skism need a hug mate? Are you suffering from white male struggle? :-P

If you think there are no healthy debates here I suggest to go on Steam Forum then, its great, trust me...

MFG

Ketraar

PS.: Obviously set Morkonan to ignore, just saving on energy required to render all the character I can buy 2 Fam pizzas every week. :mrgreen:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 17:51

Morkonan wrote:
:o Do you imply that you don't know whether you have been enlisted? Where is the sport in that? Surely we want our enemies to know that they've ceased to exist?

Honestly, I missed your post; it was so short. However, the numerous quotes kept it alive. Same result with and without the feature.

Your longer posts ... human brain is an adaptive network of neurons. It could in theory learn to auto-skip some sensory input. Seems evolutionally dangerous feature though.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 18:35

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 10. Oct 18, 17:51
Your longer posts ... human brain is an adaptive network of neurons. It could in theory learn to auto-skip some sensory input. Seems evolutionally dangerous feature though.
This is true. However, the human brain, when it's actually working, uses more calories than any other organ in the human body. (Under normal workloads. Weight lifters might have certain muscles, for a few moments, out-peak a human brain that's working on a tough problem.) This means that in the interests of preserving energy, it's possible that the human brain has developed some habits to reduce consumption, like skipping over lines of text. (Especially those that may require extra effort to digest.) Since we comprehend the written word in a narrow arc that generally encompasses three to five words at a time, rather than the commonly thought one word at a time, it's also possible that this helps to magnify the brain's conservation mechanism, skipping entire paragraphs of text in order to conserve calories during peak moments.

We do have to realize, however, that the human body is an excellently constructed bit of mechanical engineering, as are the bodies of most animals that have undergone hundreds of thousands of years or more of evolution. Considering that it wasn't until perhaps fifteen-thousand years ago that we began to move into the "behaviorally modern human" period*, it may be that our current brains have yet to catch up with the precision and elegance of human physical form. In essence, we are sportscars operating with a wiring harness and electronics suite that is less than optimized for comparable performance.

So, I am doing my part. I am both helping members expend calories and lose weight while exercising their cognitive abilities by making it difficult to understand what I have written if one strictly obeys instinctual behavior and glances over large blocks of written words... Or, I'm just a blowhard that likes to type stuffs. :)

* There is some argument over this, given certain recent discoveries. However, most would agree that at least by 10,000 years ago, human beings were firmly in the behaviorally modern human period. By that definition, humans were living in recognizable groups, domestication of plants/animals had begun, possible emergence of rudimentary social and trade systems and the development of "culture" as opposed to the more "hunter gatherer packs" and "herd follower" imagery we often associate with pre-modern humans. I have moved the goalposts back, a bit, in light of some recent discoveries that may point to humans having some aspects of more behaviorally modern humans. Certainly, we can say that by 12,000 years ago, humans had adopted some behaviorally modern habits. If that is possible, then I think some recent discoveries could point to an even earlier emergence.

Note: This post is reflective of an ongoing effort to be the most "Ignored" member on the forums. :)
Last edited by Morkonan on Wed, 10. Oct 18, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 18:36

Skism wrote:
Tue, 9. Oct 18, 01:09
#how many Ignore/bann lists am I on now?
Where is that Foe button again? :wink:

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 20:27

Thought this thread would have had more replies by now, oh well...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'd be surprised if anyone has actually used the foe thing tbh :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 21:37

Chips wrote:
Wed, 10. Oct 18, 20:27
I'd be surprised if anyone has actually used the foe thing tbh :D
/agreed

Anyone that's concerned enough with the forum to use the toggle is going to be too eager to argue with people to actually push that button. :)

"@$%@$!!! Everyone I can see agrees with me! NOW #@T%$@ WHAT AM I GONNA @$%$ DO?"

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:18

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 5. Oct 18, 19:16
I'm no great fan of social media features generally, but I do acknowledge that there are some people, for whom time on the forum can be made less stressful by allowing them to simply hide posts made by someone who has repeatedly annoyed them. Sure, they could just not visit the forum at all, or they could studiously avoid threads where that person had posed, but by hiding their posts they can remain here and read whatever they like, without the risk of getting wound up by accidentally reading something they didn't want or need to. For people who are struggling with stress, it can make the difference between this being a place to relax or it being a place that contributes to that stress.
This is worth mentioning twice.

cattafett
x3tc

Post by cattafett » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 07:11

not the same thing but sometimes on Xbox i take pride in how quickly i can get someone to block me
my best time is 45 minutes during a pve spat playing ark
those UFOs you hear about are just what you tried to explaine to me going over my head
Advanced Complex-Hub you know you need it Catta Fett's D.O.G.S Vanilla safe mod collectionyou don't need them but you want them
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 08:00

cattafett wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 07:11
not the same thing but sometimes on Xbox i take pride in how quickly i can get someone to block me

So, how many of their mother's did you sleep with? :)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:30

cattafett wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 07:11
This is not something to be proud of. Ever.

cattafett
x3tc

Post by cattafett » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 15:46

Antilogic wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:30

This is not something to be proud of. Ever.
i'm afraid i'll have to disagree, unlike this little haven the interweb is filled with bullies and trolls and i like to bully bullies and troll the trolls,
those UFOs you hear about are just what you tried to explaine to me going over my head
Advanced Complex-Hub you know you need it Catta Fett's D.O.G.S Vanilla safe mod collectionyou don't need them but you want them
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

Return to “Off Topic English”