Crikey - ISS

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Crikey - ISS

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 6. Sep 18, 20:55

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45423225

The hole found recently was either deliberate, and drilled in space, or a production error concealed on the ground prior to launch.

Crikey.....
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 6. Sep 18, 21:23

My money's it being some grease monkey on the ground who drilled a hole in the wrong place, panicked, and used something to plug it up...which has subsequently failed, causing the issue we see.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 6. Sep 18, 21:35

pjknibbs wrote:My money's it being some grease monkey on the ground who drilled a hole in the wrong place, panicked, and used something to plug it up...which has subsequently failed, causing the issue we see.
I agree that's probably the case. You can bet the person who is responsible, is sweating bullets right about now.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 04:04

WTF

Pics in this article: https://www.cnet.com/news/iss-hole-may- ... y-a-human/

Direct Link to Pics in above article

WTF? That's no "oops." That's someone either deliberately sabotaging the ISS or the worst botched construction job, ever. If the latter, someone did not give a @$%# about what happened when that left their assembly station. Not one @$%# was given... AND, who in the ____ inspected that damn thing if that's the case? My friggin socks have "Inspection Stickers" so someone's head somewhere is about to roll, 'cause their name is on somebody's list, somewhere.

Just a big WTF moment right now.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 15:33

well damn;

so far I will say a worst construction job ever is probably more likely.

unsuccessful sabotage is less likely, and botched sabotage in space is even less likely. Just my uninformed opinion

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 15:41

fiksal wrote:..so far I will say a worst construction job ever is probably more likely...
Probably so. But, then the question of why it wasn't properly inspected comes to mind. If there's something wrong with a space asset, there's no driving it to the space-repair shop to get an easy fix.

The Hubble repair job was a miracle. Skylab's solar-shield fix was a miracle of duct-tape and bailing wire engineering. ISS has had a few repairs as well, IIRC. (Cooling system, etc.) Figuring out a way to inspect and possibly repair Shuttle tiles was a pretty big deal, too.

But, in general, those are "disasters." Nothing that goes into space should have any easily visible defects or damage. There should be fifty-eleven people signing off on inspecting various bits and pieces.

No doubt, we'll find out more. And, I think it might be a good idea to conduct a deep inspection of current modules as well. No alarms may be associated with anything else, but the sort of thing to worry about is when an alarm goes off and nobody can hear it because there's no darn air. :)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 15:45

Morkonan wrote:
fiksal wrote:..so far I will say a worst construction job ever is probably more likely...
Probably so. But, then the question of why it wasn't properly inspected comes to mind. If there's something wrong with a space asset, there's no driving it to the space-repair shop to get an easy fix.
sadly... I think it's because it's Russian (or Kazakhstanian).

quality matters less than your image nowadays, and maybe this idea leaked into the space agency, and/or their contractors.

an alarm goes off and nobody can hear it because there's no darn air. :)
alarms should pellet people with dust :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 15:53

fiksal wrote:sadly... I think it's because it's Russian (or Kazakhstanian).

quality matters less than your image nowadays, and maybe this idea leaked into the space agency, and/or their contractors.
That's possible, but I was loathe to chalk up the whole thing to "Russian Engineering Practices."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8kQA12lg_U

Actually, I have to hand it to the Russians. Their stuff works... usually. :)
Ice-water or a bucket of ice. That's what I got if I didn't get out of bed on time. :) (Cold marbles, kept in the freezer, for just such occasions work better with less mess.)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 16:05

Morkonan wrote:
fiksal wrote:sadly... I think it's because it's Russian (or Kazakhstanian).

That's possible, but I was loathe to chalk up the whole thing to "Russian Engineering Practices."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8kQA12lg_U

Actually, I have to hand it to the Russians. Their stuff works... usually. :)
I do too.

when qualified and responsible people are on it, then yes, it works. Same as everywhere.

also, a terrible movie :P

Ice-water or a bucket of ice. That's what I got if I didn't get out of bed on time. :) (Cold marbles, kept in the freezer, for just such occasions work better with less mess.)
did you grow up with vikings? :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 20:53

fiksal wrote:...also, a terrible movie :P
A depressingly terrible movie from the viewpoint of "realism." But, an "OK" adventure flick. I hated it because I couldn't suspend disbelief.. But, everyone loved the Cosmonaut character.
did you grow up with vikings? :)
Kinda. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”