Has anyone been watching Australia's leaders?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 16:04

- politics..
- don'cha just love it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpWomdkwtoY
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 16:56

philip_hughes wrote:What... Scott is Alan's brother? Seriously?
do they have other brothers called Virgil, Gordon and John?

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 17:06

philip_hughes wrote:What... Scott is Alan's brother? Seriously?
I know, right!
apogee wrote:do they have other brothers called Virgil, Gordon and John?
I don't know about that, but you should see their rides. :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 22:23

So, I had no idea of the revolving door in the Prime Minister's office... Heck, I didn't even know how the PM was "elected."

Does this mean that Trump will eventually get to insult everyone in Australia via direct phone call?

Just an observation, but if they keep dumping PMs like that, eventually someone is going to figure out that it's not a very good plan and, perhaps, they might want to give someone a long enough term in office to get something done. "Stability" is often a top-down affair.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 24. Aug 18, 22:54

Haha. Maybe. Australia .is now the only country where having "I was the prime minister" on your cv is no big deal.

Getting a personal insult from trump though...
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 00:14

philip_hughes wrote: Getting a personal insult from trump though...
You gotta admit though, it makes one feel all warm and cozy inside to see the US, UK, and Australia constantly try to outshit each others the last few years (politically) . Be it high or low, we are really true comrades. :P

#specialrelationship

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 00:36

- ironman strikes again..
ha, ha..!! :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 00:40

Mightysword wrote:You gotta admit though, it makes one feel all warm and cozy inside to see the US, UK, and Australia constantly try to outshit each others the last few years (politically) . Be it high or low, we are really true comrades. :P

#specialrelationship
I laughed :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 02:42

Morkonan wrote:So, I had no idea of the revolving door in the Prime Minister's office... Heck, I didn't even know how the PM was "elected."

Does this mean that Trump will eventually get to insult everyone in Australia via direct phone call?

Just an observation, but if they keep dumping PMs like that, eventually someone is going to figure out that it's not a very good plan and, perhaps, they might want to give someone a long enough term in office to get something done. "Stability" is often a top-down affair.
Because we have a parliamentary system, government stability is not directly linked to stability of leadership. Regardless of who hold the top job, the composition of Parliament is unchanged until such time as an election is held, so the work of government will largely continue.

The person holding the reins matters, but only in as much as they affect the priorities of government.

Parliamentary systems are highly robust.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 03:07

Usenko wrote:
Morkonan wrote:So, I had no idea of the revolving door in the Prime Minister's office... Heck, I didn't even know how the PM was "elected."

Because we have a parliamentary system, government stability is not directly linked to stability of leadership. Regardless of who hold the top job, the composition of Parliament is unchanged until such time as an election is held, so the work of government will largely continue.

The person holding the reins matters, but only in as much as they affect the priorities of government.

Except that stability and 'getting things done' has been an issue for the last 10 years. There's been precious little long term policy from either major party, and it's starting to show in things like lack of infrastructure and the failure of the energy policies. Business groups have been practically begging the major parties to get their acts together to give them a bit more certainty of policy going forward.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 03:11

Oh, definitely. The problem isn't lack of stability, though, so much as lack of coherent vision . . . .

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 03:14

Usenko wrote: The person holding the reins matters, but only in as much as they affect the priorities of government.

Only to a point, if the system is abused in that direction I think it'll actually have the opposite affect. Japan had 6 different Ministers over the course of 6 years (2006 - 2012), and can't remember they got a lot of things done during that time period. The longer this happens, the more pressure it puts on whoever taking up the post next.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 06:45

philip_hughes wrote:Haha. Maybe. Australia .is now the only country where having "I was the prime minister" on your cv is no big deal. ..
I laughed my a$$ off... Nicely done!
Usenko wrote:Oh, definitely. The problem isn't lack of stability, though, so much as lack of coherent vision . . . .
"My Lord, we have finished building the castle!"

"Excellent! Well, that looks like a might fine castle."

"It is, my Lord! It's walls are thirty-feet high! It's parapets provide the best vantage points for miles around! Its ramparts host ballistae and catapults to reign destruction on any enemy that dares an assault."

"Yes, my Knight, but answer me this - Where is the gate? HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GET INSIDE THE CASTLE?"

"But, it's a very nice castle, milord."

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 15:43

Some more aussie jokes:

"When the PM is removed, it is the perfect time to check your smoke alarm batteries..."

Or this one:

Alien: "Take me to your leader"
Aussie: "Err... well... about that...."

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 15:45

I sometimes wonder what kind of a world we are leaving behind for Keith Richards....

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 25. Aug 18, 15:47

PM stands for posterior machete?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 26. Aug 18, 01:27

philip_hughes wrote:I sometimes wonder what kind of a world we are leaving behind for Keith Richards....
Friggin LOL!

You're on a roll!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 26. Aug 18, 01:46

Morkonan wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:I sometimes wonder what kind of a world we are leaving behind for Keith Richards....
Friggin LOL!

You're on a roll!
When you put it like that it gets scary :(.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”