what type of system will i need to run X4?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 3. Jul 18, 08:30

"General computing" isn't going to benefit from huge numbers of threads. The sorts of workloads that *do* benefit from those are either heavy computing loads (e.g. video rendering and the like), or else when you're seriously into multitasking--e.g. running half a dozen processor intensive apps at the same time. Very few people are likely to fall into that category--you might do if you're streaming games on Twitch, because the game itself will use a chunk of CPU and having some spare for the streaming software is good.

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Tue, 3. Jul 18, 11:04

and that is something i may wish to do with x4. strem it on Twitch.
that is IF. i can get in to the game XR i yet to fully get in to.
i miss the jump gates... it was a easy to understadn system of travel.
all i end up doing on the speed ways in XR is going round in lops. round and round.

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:25

well if anyone cears.
i doing a Ryzen 2600 build.
in a Asrock X470 Master SLI Motherboard,
with G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4-3000 Memory kit.
in a Fractal Design Define R6 Black with TG.

i will update my GFX card later on (about 10 week's) to a 1060 6gb.
i was after something i would be happy with.
and i think i will be happy!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:56

wow, looking good there.. :roll:

PS: what's the latest with X4..??
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 22:35

Chrisalddin wrote:well if anyone cears.

I have similar plans :D
Though I am going to buy an older X360 motherboard for the R2600 because they are way cheaper and currently it looks like it is going to be an RX580 because they are cheaper right now as well, at least where I live.

However, this might change a lot until X4 comes out, so there is still time for the 1060 :D. Video prices are falling on a daily basis, not to say plummeting.

And hopefully Egosoft is able to optimize for the Ryzen architecture as well! :D CBJ! :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:14

Tamina wrote:
Chrisalddin wrote:well if anyone cears.

I have similar plans :D
Though I am going to buy an older X360 motherboard for the R2600 because they are way cheaper and currently it looks like it is going to be an RX580 because they are cheaper right now as well, at least where I live.

However, this might change a lot until X4 comes out, so there is still time for the 1060 :D. Video prices are falling on a daily basis, not to say plummeting.

And hopefully Egosoft is able to optimize for the Ryzen architecture as well! :D CBJ! :D
i think you was trying to say AMD X370 chipset. as i dont think there is a X360.
ok one thing you need to know about is that If the bios on the board is not updated. (aka the board is 1st wave stock from last year.) you need a AMD CPU to update the bios so it can see and use the Ryzen 2000 CPU's there is a Label on the box for that.
look like this

if it dont have that. it will as i said need a bios update and for that only the Asus Hero X370 can do it without a Cpu install.
and the Asus hero X370 is NOT cheep!
if you order on line it will be Hit or miss if you get one with a updated Bios or not.

BTW my board cost £131

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:59

@Chrisalddin
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! :)
Hmmm, this sounds risky then. :( Especially because I am planning to buy online. Not even sure there are any stores selling single computer components.

Correction: I meant the B350 chipset but got confused a little with all those numbers. It is cheaper (80€/70£ vs 150€/131£) since there are no B450 chipsets, yet. And I was told X470 has only minor advantages to X370 for a higher price, so the same would probably go for B350->B450.

50£ are 50£. hmmm.
I am also going for cheaper other components, too, to reach an overall price of currently ~660£ and falling. So there is no "just" 50£ more.

Will think about it, thanks for the warning!

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:11

Tamina wrote:@Chrisalddin
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! :)
Hmmm, this sounds risky then. :( Especially because I am planning to buy online. Not even sure there are any stores selling single computer components.

Correction: I meant the B350 chipset but got confused a little with all those numbers. It is cheaper (80€/70£ vs 150€/131£) since there are no B450 chipsets, yet. And I was told X470 has only minor advantages to X370 for a higher price, so the same would probably go for B350->B450.

50£ are 50£. hmmm.
I am also going for cheaper other components, too, to reach an overall price of currently ~660£ and falling. So there is no "just" 50£ more.

Will think about it, thanks for the warning!
ok the B450 board are comming. and soon. i will be shocked if you can not buy then with in the next 6 weeks.
however if you think geting a X370 online with ready for ryzen 2000 is hard i think geting B350 with ryzen 2000 online is hader still.

you can try calling the online shop. try ebuyer or novatech. both look to be good for customer service. never needed it myself but give it a go.
you never know.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:38

Chrisalddin wrote:i doing a Ryzen 2600 build.
Power? Storage?
How cool/quiet is the AMD stock cooler?

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:48

jlehtone wrote:
Chrisalddin wrote:i doing a Ryzen 2600 build.
Power? Storage?
How cool/quiet is the AMD stock cooler?
power? as in PSU going to use the Evga 650 GQ i got the other week
only just placed the order for the SSD and it over kill to the extreem a 970 Evo 250gb.
as for the cooler. stock for now. but i have plans to Buy a AIO 240 soon.
also i have no idea as right now it not Built yet. the motherboard and Ram should get to me within the next 9 to 20 hours.
also the Define R6 has sound dampening. so i could never give you a real sound level of the system. also also. i have a Air Fan in my HOT no Air Flow Room. so witht that on almost all the time i tend not to hear the old PC Fans and tham are not Quite!

Yaunm
xr

Post by Yaunm » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 14:08

Spaceman Sublime wrote: So wait, Im running an Intel i7 7700k and a GTX 1070. I just built this computer and decided on the 7700k over the 8700k because of how much more expensive 8700k compatible parts are. But the 7700k is a 4 core 8 thread processor. According to this, was this a poor choice and I should have spent the extra ~$1,000 USD on the 6 core 12 thread 8700k?
Is your PC working? Then there is nothing to worry about. As to why is a 4/8 cpu is problematic it is because console games want 8 cores and mainstream 6/12 is close enough for anyone to do anything about it. When AAA games start to scale to 16 threads ( Assasin's Creed, FFXV) then yes it is not a good choice to get a 4/8 cpu.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 17:50

Chrisalddin wrote:ok the B450 board are comming. and soon.
You called it. They got officially announced, the question is only when and how much. Currently the B350 costs 35% less then on its release date, so it is still going to be still viable months after.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 18:37

Tamina wrote:I am planning to buy online. Not even sure there are any stores selling single computer components.
For Germany i can only recommend Mindfactory. They are reasonably priced, deliver fast and i didn't have any used or malfunctioning parts when i built my new pc from the ground up earlier this summer.

Yaunm wrote:
Spaceman Sublime wrote: So wait, Im running an Intel i7 7700k and a GTX 1070. I just built this computer and decided on the 7700k over the 8700k because of how much more expensive 8700k compatible parts are. But the 7700k is a 4 core 8 thread processor. According to this, was this a poor choice and I should have spent the extra ~$1,000 USD on the 6 core 12 thread 8700k?
Is your PC working? Then there is nothing to worry about. As to why is a 4/8 cpu is problematic it is because console games want 8 cores and mainstream 6/12 is close enough for anyone to do anything about it. When AAA games start to scale to 16 threads ( Assasin's Creed, FFXV) then yes it is not a good choice to get a 4/8 cpu.
The 7700k and 1070 are a really nice fit. You shouldn't worry about it.

But everyone bulding a new pc now should really consider targeting hexacore. Games are going to use more cores in the future simply because of console hardware. And the console market is the big cashcow for nearly all publishers.
Also even if many games today don't use 5+ threads much you then still have 2 spare ones to run your OC, virus scanner, and such.

As for brand choice. I'd say absolutely go Ryzen for workstations (graphics design, video editing, streaming machine). It's the workhorse that gives you most bang for the buck.
Intel has the higher clock speeds which is better suited for most games, especially older titles like X3 that don't even have multicore support. But it's way more expensive too so it's kind of the luxurious choice with bad value (moneywise).

That said the 8700k is an absolute beast. The enhanced turbo option unlocks 4,7GHz clock on all six cores and is an extremely easy and safe one-click way to overclock that should work for everyone, but you will of course need a big tower cooler. The main problem is that this cpu is basically forcing you to forego budget parts anywhere in your pc or it wouldn't make any sense.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 20:17

Tamina wrote:I am planning to buy online. Not even sure there are any stores selling single computer components.
There should be many stores that sell components, unless you are in esoteric country. Some online business started by doing that very thing.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 21:55

jlehtone wrote:
There should be many stores that sell components, unless you are in esoteric country. Some online business started by doing that very thing.
In the US, there are far fewer specialty stores than there used to be. And, when there are, there is generally less of a broad offering than there used to be, too.

There are a few major chains that carry computer components for hobbyists/do-it-yourselfers. "Best Buy" is one. "Fry's", I think, is another, but I've only seen those in larger cities.

The old "Mom & Pop" computer shops are becoming a thing of the past. (Small, independently-owned, computer shop) Most enthusiasts get their stuff online, these days, AFAIK. In larger cities, there are probably more of these stores, but there are probably more people buying online in the US than not.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 14. Jul 18, 23:10

Morkonan wrote:Most enthusiasts get their stuff online, these days, AFAIK.
I've been buying my computer gear online for pretty much as long as I've *been* online--so, since 1996 or so?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 13:42

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote:Most enthusiasts get their stuff online, these days, AFAIK.
I've been buying my computer gear online for pretty much as long as I've *been* online--so, since 1996 or so?
I used to try to always buy local, just to support the mom&pops. (Small businesses.)

Back in the heady days of dialup and bbs's, I used to hang out in the backroom of a local computer shop with all the nerds and geeks. (A local bbs was run out of the shop.) Big plywood tables with servers on them, Gandalf modems screaming, beer being liberally poured, some guy using a crashed-together HAM radio setup to print out, actually "print out" ASCII pr0n... Yes, bo0bs can be transmitted over radio waves! Who'da thunk it? o.0

Anyway, those memories are why I always used to support local shops, even going so far as having them custom order parts and paying a little extra for them. But, they're a dying breed. The one I used to go to closed down recently. They had whole walls full of stuff you couldn't find anywhere else except online. (Cables, weird connectors, stuff they don't make anymore, etc.)

Progress is great, but there's a lack of humanity in it.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 15. Jul 18, 15:12

There is certainly a special feeling in local stores.

'90s had many small physical stores. Most vanished after a while, usually soon after I had bought something. (There was also a national bank that went under right after I closed my account there ...)

Some have survived, mainly by creating strong online presence.
Even on the online side there have been mergers, bigger ones buying competition/specialty out.

I almost always order online, but prefer to pick up from local outlet, if the store has one.

The main point was:
Yes, there are/were stores that sell components.
Yes, there definitely are online stores that sell components.
Some components can be found only from the online stores.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 18. Jul 18, 08:17

Are there any cheap, elegant pc cases?
Still searching. 'Cheap' aparently often means bad processing with a window and RGB illumination.
I would like to have it the other way around, especially because I am planning to look 99% of the time on my screen and not somewhere else while it is turned on.

What I found so far is the BitFenix Shinobi, Sharkoon TG5 (non-bling version) and Cooltek TG-01. All three are currently available for 50£/55€ but the Shinobi only comes with one case-fan, while the TG5 comes with 4 :)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Yaunm
xr

Post by Yaunm » Sat, 21. Jul 18, 01:29

There are two types of cases. 50E cheap black rectangles and 200E elegant cases. The problem with the latter is that is 150E that could be invested in better hardware. This is a fight i could never win and thus all my cases are black rectangles lol. And i would def not get the 4 fans one. 4 fans make 4 times as much noise as 1. And the non OCed systems needs 0.

I also buy small components in a local store if available. ( like kmcomputer ) The price is only about 2E more, meh. But they( local stores in general) often have local flash sales and some useful junk. And the sellers usually have some useful hints on compatibility and i can ask them some really dumb questions and still get an answer lol.

Problem with local sellers is that online sale is 2 weeks return no questions asked and local sale is technically final. ( It's crazy if you think about it).

Return to “Off Topic English”