Book recomendations

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Book recomendations

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 31. Dec 18, 12:24

BugMeister wrote:
Mon, 31. Dec 18, 10:59
some good choices here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQeVOyR_cP0
Interesting. There are some good titles on there, but he also mentioned Lev Grossman's "Magicians" series, which sucks. It's a vacuum. It sucks so much it actually shrinks in on itself after awhile, causing pages to be lost. But, you won't care, since it already has too many pages you don't want to read, anyway. Like... all of them. It's a mountain of suckitude in multiple volumes. If you have a cat and a paper-shredder, you'll appreciate this series's absorption strength.

At least he only gave it an "Honorable Mention." Maybe because it has "Magicians" in the title and it's also a fantasy story? Which kinda matches if you think about it. So, 5/7 for an appropriate genre title might have pushed it into his Honorable Mention category. And, yes, as he says, all the characters are a-holes. (And, written badly, which is worse.)

There's also a television series on SyFy. It's like 90210, but without the intellectual depth. It's probably their attempt at a "What if the Kardashians were magicians" show. Less badadonkadonk, more jigglywigglies. With magic.

"Why are you taking so long to make my soy latte(pic)"? (Be careful, the angsty condescending ignorant and oversexed adolescents may dislike you on Facebook if you don't like their Weezer playlist.)

It's like Harry Potter meets the Kardashians meets 90210 meets a less interesting Buffy the Vampire Slayer and... something. And, no, I didn't watch much of it so my opinion of it is formed entirely from the little bit I saw, commercials, and then pics like that one above. :)

PS - I just felt like some creative criticism meant to elicit a chuckle or two. But, I really thought "The Magicians" was terrible. It's a straight rip-off of Harry Potter. Straight. It's like he just said "@@$$% it, I'm tired of being an editor and publisher! I'll write something really awesome, like that one series of books that one chick in the UK wrote. But, I'll make it betterer!" and then forget to make it not suck. *Added: But, seriously - Anyone can like anything. I don't care! I like people liking books, so there's no problem if anyone hates me dissing on "The Magicians" if it's their favorite series! No problem at all - You do you. There's obviously something in there the publishers thought would sell and attract enough fans to push out a series for. And, considering it spawned a TV series, some people must love the books. I just don't know why.

PPS - Copied the list, so I'll take a look at the recommendations. I need something new, since I've already caught up on every series I was reading with the exception of one, which I might have to order.

Return to “Off Topic English”