Book recomendations

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 28. May 18, 15:51

red assassin wrote:Amazon is considering a TV series based on Consider Phlebas - https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/21/1703 ... ision-show
Amazon has been aggressively moving forward with content generation.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/ranked-the ... now-2017-9

I've heard good things about "The Man in the High Castle" and "Sneaky Pete" but little about their other productions.

The thing is - They can run a series that doesn't capture a large audience while trying to push into the market. They have enough money to "loss lead," so I have reservations about quality, value, etc.

It's all a brand-new thing, with companies trying to secure their market share and get their brand associated with exclusive content. Let's hope they do a good job. (Though, them having an LoTR IP and being able to touch that... /shiver)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 28. May 18, 17:01

Adaptions of so many classic SF novels went badly in the past.

Heinlein's the puppet Masters was turned into an awful movie. Not even capable of being saved by having Donald Sutherland in a leading role. Hardly any of his books were well adapted.

Starship Troopers the movie is a great film, but to claim it's a close adaption of the book is an exercise in self delusion.

It's about as close to its source as Blade Runner is to 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'. That's an amazing film, but it has almost nothing in common with the book, except I think that the mispruniciation of the leads name to Deckard is used in the movie instead of his original name.

But will current movie adaptions still be talked about and watched in two decades time?

Starship Troopers may not be perfect, but it's pretty darned good, and Blade Runner in it's first cut was all over the place, and it bombed at the box office, but 36 years later it's still the gold standard for SF, copied by anyone who wants to make a film with meaning.

How many people re-watch David Lynches Dune movie? I've not watched at anywhere near as much as Blade Runner or Starship Troopers. I've probably watched the Scyfy channel miniseries more, and that was far from perfect.

The Audible full cast audiobook version is great, that I've listened to several times.

I'm interested in the possibiity of a new series of Dune movies, but I'll not be getting my hopes up.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Mon, 28. May 18, 18:57

A tad more pulpy but

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/351 ... e_Universe

The Man Who Used The Universe is a good and easy read, plus you can probably get second hand for a couple of quid. His Alien books are good too.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 28. May 18, 20:05

I just remembered this one!

P. Anthony - Biography of a Space Tyrant.

This is good "space opera" stuff. I really enjoyed it, even though some reviewer's poo-poo'd it. (Likely because of some political-sounding messages they did not like. But, that's not the point of the story.)

Anthony weaves a really interesting tale, here. There are some really cool operators in his plot, too. It's out of print, of course, but it should be in any used bookstore, maybe available elsewhere too.

PS - I have no idea what the situation is with e-readers and out-of-print books. In thinking on that, surely someone has tried to exploit this rich market full of content! It's just sitting there and nobody is going to "print it." Buy the electronic rights on the cheap, make boatloads of money, buy a spaceship... Anyone? :)

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 29. May 18, 20:44

Hi All,
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'll start investigating. Work has just got crazy, so I'll doubt that I have the time to read for another 2 weeks or so. Gives me a chance to have a look at some of the recommendations.

I do have an Ian M Banks book somehwere, Red Mars or something (first in a series). I started reading it years ago, but only got a chapter or so in, when something else was released and I was hooked on that instead (Mass Effect 2 maybe...).
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 29. May 18, 21:14

"Red Mars" is KSR (Kim Stanley Robinson) If you have that and haven't read it, yet... or the rest.

Quit your job, read books instead. :)

Do what I do when stressed for time - Leave it on your nightstand, read a page or two before you turn out the light.

DanRan

Post by DanRan » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 17:53

Jericho wrote:
Tue, 29. May 18, 20:44
Hi All,
Thanks for showing promising mass gainers results and all of your suggestions, I'll start investigating. Work has just got crazy, so I'll doubt that I have the time to read for another 2 weeks or so. Gives me a chance to have a look at some of the recommendations.

I do have an Ian M Banks book somehwere, Red Mars or something (first in a series). I started reading it years ago, but only got a chapter or so in, when something else was released and I was hooked on that instead (Mass Effect 2 maybe...).
Any fantasy book fans in here? I just finished reading the first book of Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself series and I love it. Couldn't recommend it enough. I hope the rest of the series is just as good.
Last edited by DanRan on Sat, 14. May 22, 13:26, edited 2 times in total.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 17:58

DanRan wrote:Any fantasy book fans in here? I just finished reading the first book of Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself series and I love it. Couldn't recommend it enough. I hope the rest of the series is just as good.
It is. The best "nobody's ever heard of it" fantasy book series I've read starts with "The Black Company" by Glen Cook. Steven Erickson drew a lot of inspiration from them for his Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Jul 18, 00:45

DanRan wrote:Any fantasy book fans in here? I just finished reading the first book of Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself series and I love it. Couldn't recommend it enough. I hope the rest of the series is just as good.
It's a wonderful book! I love all of his stuff. Make sure to read "Heroes," too - Outstanding!

Besides Glen Cook's masterpiece of "The Black Company" series (Soon to be made into a television series /fingerscrossed) that RgisterMe rec'd, above, I'd heartily recommend to you David Gemmell's "Drenai Series." They're somewhat, sometimes, stand-alones, but they all take place in the same fantasy setting, sometimes sharing timelines, sometimes making history for others in the series. It's wonderful heroic fantasy! (Finding these books may be difficult. Check your "Used Books" stores.)

I'd also recommend "The Powder Mage" series by Brian McClellen. At first, you'll be a bit incredulous. But, much like Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" series, another good recommendation, you'll soon be quite comfortable with the idea that there are people who can do magic after eating gunpowder... :) (That actually doesn't play strongly into the stories like the magic mechanics in Mistborn do ie: It's not the focus of the stories.)

BugMeister
x4

Re: Book recomendations

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 30. Oct 18, 23:05

The Kingdom Of Speech by Tom Wolfe
- brilliant, insightful and often hilarious.. well worth a read.. :lol:

- and here's Tom himself, dapper and erudite as ever..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfg0pGly-LM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YnrhVnz2O4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdFs0eTeHOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButAxst6CFs
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 31. Oct 18, 04:57

BugMeister wrote:
Tue, 30. Oct 18, 23:05
The Kingdom Of Speech by Tom Wolfe
- brilliant, insightful and often hilarious.. well worth a read.. :lol:
Ah, the Man in the White Hat. :) Love his stuff and he's certainly a worthy author. I'd have to say, though, that he may have stepped out of bounds a little bit on this one, but that's what any worthy author is supposed to do, right? :)

Fiction Recommendations:

I generally steer a bit clear of Christopher Tolkien's spinoffs from Tolkien's notes. I've read several, but nothing in years. I recently picked up "The Children of Hurin" because I just finished reading the Silmarilian twice, for want of something to read, and once again became a fan of Hurin. The book actually turned out to be pretty good. It didn't have any great revelations, but was still worth reading. It is not quite as derivative as I feared it might be, so I may buy some more of his other stuff. (I've already read the Unfinished Tales books, but he's got one on Gondolin that I'm sort of interested in.)

Clen Cook brings us another episode in the manfold tale of "The Black Company," with "Port of Shadows." It's a "good" book. It doesn't suck. :) It's not wonderful or great nor does it stand out as some masterwork fantasy - It is what it is. BUT, and I think it's important to note, "The Black Company" are what they are, in their fictional setting. Cook, IMO, transfers some of that attitude towards how he writes for The Black Company, no matter what he writes about them. It's not quite as "gritty" as some other works, but it does not shirk from controversy and displays the mostly amoral activities of The Black Company as fans would expect. It focuses on Croaker as the Annalist during a period while they're still serving "The Lady," but after the Battle of Charm. (For fans in the know)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 31. Oct 18, 08:21

Morkonan wrote:
Wed, 31. Oct 18, 04:57
I generally steer a bit clear of Christopher Tolkien's spinoffs from Tolkien's notes. I've read several, but nothing in years. I recently picked up "The Children of Hurin" because I just finished reading the Silmarilian twice, for want of something to read, and once again became a fan of Hurin. The book actually turned out to be pretty good. It didn't have any great revelations, but was still worth reading. It is not quite as derivative as I feared it might be, so I may buy some more of his other stuff. (I've already read the Unfinished Tales books, but he's got one on Gondolin that I'm sort of interested in.)
It's worth noting that the Silmarillion was essentially reconstructed from Tolkien's notes by Christopher after his death. He even mentions in one of the "history of Middle Earth" books that he regrets some of the editorial decisions he made at the time, since he thinks he would have chosen differently with his current knowledge of the legendarium.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Wed, 31. Oct 18, 21:33

Glen Cook has this amazing ability to show through Croaker's moral lens that when he says some version of, "They had it coming," you know damn well Croaker knows he's lying.

His description of Soulcatcher's tyranny as "The Protector" is so remarkably human you have to imagine Mr. Cook worked for someone like her at some point in his life. We all kind of know or have known someone like that, entitled to and by power.

Croaker going off on Tobo was also epic. "I've spent my whole life watching people like you treat people like me as disposable playthings," or something close to that. I wish I could remember the exact quote. He was so done with Tobo's crap. Raise this kid right or he'll be another Soulcatcher, you can almost hear him thinking it.

The Black Company series is so old I was a kid when I read the story of the Company in the North. It'll feel strange to revisit that era as an adult.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 1. Nov 18, 21:56

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 31. Oct 18, 08:21
It's worth noting that the Silmarillion was essentially reconstructed from Tolkien's notes by Christopher after his death. He even mentions in one of the "history of Middle Earth" books that he regrets some of the editorial decisions he made at the time, since he thinks he would have chosen differently with his current knowledge of the legendarium.
He mentions some of that in the "Children of Hurin." But, it's also true that the focus of the Silmarillion is still correct. It wouldn't have been possible, for instance, to add some of the other material to the book, like the Gondolin tales or what's in The Children of Hurin or the various bits in Unfinished Tales, which was originally intended to be it's own "book." So, the Silmarillion stands "as is" and, IMO, it's good the way it is. Though, strictly speaking, Turin and Neinor/Niniel might not have been appropriate in the Silmarillion. But, their tale is mixed up in with the Noldor et al, so it was probably unavoidable.
Aye Capn wrote:
Wed, 31. Oct 18, 21:33
Glen Cook has this amazing ability to show through Croaker's moral lens that when he says some version of, "They had it coming," you know damn well Croaker knows he's lying.
^--- THIS! And, all the other stuff you posted!

When you're reading Cook's "Black Company" you "feel" the moral relativism that he develops with this band of mercenaries. No matter who the "Annalist" is, you can see that there are two sets of rules: One for the members of The Black Company and who the F cares about anyone else?

And, Cook doesn't point this out for readers... No, nothing so simple. Cook relies on the reader being drawn in by the narrator to see through their eyes, adopt their view, and realize that in order to make sense of some of what is written, the reader must understand that The Black Company does not operate under the same ethical or moral codes that one uses when going to the grocery store. The Narrator's are not "Unreliable Narrators." They are moral relativists and that's part-and-parcel to what he's creating. He's not making any moral or social statements, either - He's simply telling a tale at the Company/Platoon level of a band of mercenaries.

I love this series. It's definitely in the top three of my favorites, perhaps even my most favorite due to how its written. People that don't like it often point out things that other stories with other writers would have included in it.

"It's a fantasy story about a bunch of guys fighting stuff and so why isn't there a big battle scene with somebody writing about how swords were being swung by warriors with mighty thews?"

That's NOT what the series is about, even though The Black Company is, deservedly and undoubtedly, the most feared Mercenary Company in the land. :)

Yes, you're absolutely right - The reader absolutely knows, or should, what's going on in a character's head and what they're basing decisions on, even though, or actually because of, Cook not plainly writing it in.

There was one passage towards the end of the series (So far! There is supposed to be one very last book that takes place at the "end" of the Black Company series.) where the Black Company was preparing for a big battle. There was quite a bit of buildup. And then, when another writer writing a different sort of story would have embellished a big battle sequence into the story, the "climax" was something like "Yeah, so there was this big battle an' stuff and we won."

At first, I was taken aback and felt let down. Then, seconds later, I cheered. :) I realized that a narrator who's a merc in a mercenary company isn't going to sit there and "bore" some anonymous reader with the stuff that they do every day, which is killing people and breaking stuff. They're going to get right to the point, cover the big highlights, and then get to the stuff that is interesting to them. It was a brilliant decision and if he had written out some long battle sequence, at that point, it would have been the wrong decision.

Yeah, so I love me some Black Company!

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Fri, 2. Nov 18, 02:04

The best of all "They Had It Coming" moments was when the Company set the flying poles so that if their enemies triggered the self-destruct the poles would blow up the Shadowgate.

When this inevitably happens it unleashes hell on their enemies' world, killing off half the population and reducing the wizard population -- the only people who could fight off the Shadows -- to I think three "Royal Families" who become obsessed with finding good wizard genes and having lots of children to rebuild their decimated populations. So much for your Wizard Kingdom.

Croaker's attitude is, "Their fault for destroying the Shadowgates." Of course they had it coming. They crossed the Company.

The way they twist the pacifists' peaceful, self-sacrificing protests of Soulcatcher's cruel reign into dire warnings -- "The Black Company Lives. Beware!" -- had me laughing as well. It's this flavor of evil bastardry that makes us love the Company.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 2. Nov 18, 13:16

Less of a book, more of an author.

Suzanne Palmer.

She hasn't yet written a novel (first one in the works) but I absolutely LOVED two short stories from her (both received via Clarkesworld magazine), "The Secret Life of Bots" and "33% Joe". The former won the Hugo award for "Best Novelette" this year so it seems that the critics also loved it. Both have a similar theme, that of a community of sentient machines in service to humans who have an entire society of their own of which humans are almost entirely unaware, or simply pay little attention too providing the machines work as they should.
I would highly commend them to you.

I also recently listened to another short story that will stay with me for a while: "The Foodie Federation's Dinosaur Farm" which I hope you'll agree is worth checking out for its title alone.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 2. Nov 18, 18:58

Aye Capn wrote:
Fri, 2. Nov 18, 02:04
..Croaker's attitude is, "Their fault for destroying the Shadowgates." Of course they had it coming. They crossed the Company.
That's the stuff I love - Everything is about "The Black Company" and nothing else matters. It's a sentiment that has a lot of military veterans become fans of the series. They all understand the bonds that Cook is using, not directly writing about, to develop the character behind what it means to be one of The Black Company.
The way they twist the pacifists' peaceful, self-sacrificing protests of Soulcatcher's cruel reign into dire warnings -- "The Black Company Lives. Beware!" -- had me laughing as well. It's this flavor of evil bastardry that makes us love the Company.
One thing I love about that part in the books - There wasn't any question revolving around what they were going to do even though they were decimated and scattered to the winds. No question whether or not the ones that were left would just roll over and become "civilians." That was not an option.

ie: "They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards."

Goblin and One-Eye, cookin' up shennanigans, cackling gleefully as their brethren look on with concern... and not a little bit of excited anticipation.

There is one thing that is required for someone to really like the series - They have to understand that it's about the bond and the shared "brotherhood" among the members of The Black Company and "The Company" as something living that can't be killed, even though its members die. For many of the members of the company, all they have is to die for The Black Company and have their names remember in the Annals. That's it. That's what so many of The Black Company fight for. It shows how they have only been able to find a meaning for themselves as a member of the Company, no matter what they were before they joined. And, those who join later? In the books, we see them gain the same status as any other member. They're not "the f'ing new guy." They're a brother in arms and the Company treats them the same. In the end, their name will be alongside their brother's in the Annals.
Bishop149 wrote:...Suzanne Palmer...Clarkesworld magazine..
I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for both! Am pondering a subscription, but would like both e-pub and hardcopy I think. If I was a Patreon or Paypal or any sort of online third-party group, things like this would not cause me as much hesitation. I should probably do both.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 5. Nov 18, 22:33

Re-reading this, now: The Red Knight - Miles Cameron in the "Traitor's Son Cycle."

It's a good series and a lot of fun, with something in it for everyone. (Poetry ain't my forte'. So to write it, I ain't the one...) In tone, it's pretty grim/dark, eventually moving from mystery, hack-n-slash, to high-sorcery an' stuff. There's some "they're not all bad, just somewhat misunderstood" things in there, too. And, there's a potential "Evil Overlord Megalomaniac Sorcerer" to deal with as well as an "Ultimate Evil Thing" too. Mercenaries with relative morality, battles, religion, sorcery, blood and guts... What more could one ask for? I'm re-reading it by choice, not necessity. :) As my memories get refreshed, the first book is pretty "action packed" after the customary lead-in for all the characters. It also uses a great opening "hook" to get the reader interested in "what happens next." Nicely done by Cameron. If you're a fantasy and swords&sorcery fan, you'll like it.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 6. Nov 18, 10:33

Morkonan wrote:
Fri, 2. Nov 18, 18:58
I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for both! Am pondering a subscription, but would like both e-pub and hardcopy I think. If I was a Patreon or Paypal or any sort of online third-party group, things like this would not cause me as much hesitation. I should probably do both.
I support Clarkesworld via Patreon (and primarily consume the podcast, Kate Baker's narration is top notch) but I probably wouldn't recommend it as a support platform. A while back they announced they'd be making sweeping changes to how the money was distributed, this caused one hell of a fuss and the plans were eventually dropped but not before large numbers of subscribers quit the platform in protest . . . . . which obviously directly impacted the income of the creators to the point they started to struggle financially.
Partly as a response to this Clarkesworld founded their own support platform:
https://clarkesworldcitizens.com/

I'd recommend going this way.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 00:23

@Morkonan:
There is no fight scene in The Black Company as important as knowing that One-Eye cheats at cards.

This is according to the author the art that best captures the spirit of The Company, complete with playing cards, thousand-yard-stares, and dark tower of sketchy employer in the background.

Return to “Off Topic English”