If I Was Supreme Leader I would...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 23. May 18, 09:57

To badly quote George Carlin, look at the average person, then accept that half of the worlds population are dumber than they are.

Alledgedly smart people pass through my classrooms every year. Why on earth would I want the job of ruling them? It would be a nightmare.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 23. May 18, 15:21

One thing that I would change:

As an Australian, I am a citizen of a country with a pretty well-designed Parliamentary Democracy system. It works fairly well. But there is a big change I would make: Allow a small percentage of the representatives (say 5% or 10%) to be selected by some kind of random draw - a "Jury duty" sort of system.

Those who are members of particular parties have their own agendas, which are perfectly valid (and I see no reason to eliminate them). But a useful check/balance would be to ensure that there is always a voice for normal people.

EDIT:

I debated whether I'd say something about this, because I know I'm a bit of a minority view here . . . but since a few people suggested a policy to tax churches (or other non-profit organisations), I would like to throw my 2c in.

I think I have a perspective here that is valuable - I have actually been responsible for the finances of a church.

The problem is that people see things like the Vatican and whichever megachurch is present in their part of the world (which is probably pretty extravagant) and make the reasonable (but incorrect) assumption that this represents the normal state of affairs for churches.

In fact, the reverse is true. MOST churches (in fact almost ALL churches) operate on a shoe-string budget. If they can afford to employ people at all, it will be one or two staff on a small salary. In fact this is why in some countries (including Australia) a pastor enjoys tax-exempt status - when the rule was made, it was in a context of a society that largely valued the work that pastors did, and wanted even small churches to be able to afford to employ them. By making a pastor's income tax-exempt, it was possible for a church to pay a person significantly below what a person would receive when employed at an equivalent level of education and responsibility elsewhere without disadvantaging them. And yes, there are churches who do not require such advantages[1], but it is important to understand that they are the exception, not the rule.

As for taxing the church organisation itself, this idea makes sense - if you forget that churches are by definition not-for-profit organisations. There is a complex set of rules, but basically a not-for-profit organisation must not allow its members to receive returns or dividends. It is possible for some churches (especially large ones) to have a significant income, but the rules are that all money either donated to or generated by the church MUST be used for furthering the objects in the church's constitution. There is no profit as such. Even if the church gets some major windfall (e.g. the band records an album which turns out to be popular and sells millions of copies), the proceeds MUST support the objectives of the organisation. This is rigorously checked in the church's annual audit (which, from experience, I can tell you is every bit as enjoyable as preparing for a colonoscopy).

This has major consequences for the idea of taxing churches. If it were to be taxed, you would tax it under the rules for corporations. But corporations are taxed a percentage of their profits; since there are no profits in a church, the amount of tax it would be liable to pay is zero. This is not just true of churches (and mosques and temples); it is the same for the boy scouts and girl guides, for theatre societies, for charities, some schools and various other organisations.

[1] In Australia, in recognition of this, many larger churches recommend that their pastor pay tax as normal if is possible for them to receive a full salary, meaning that tax-exempt status is mostly reserved for the small congregations it was intended to assist.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 23. May 18, 16:04

Presumably the 'jury' collectively cannot have its own manifesto.

When the main parties are closely matched, all the power will be in the hands of those 'jury' members in offering to help form coalitions or with critical swing votes.

How do you know the randomly selected 'jury' members won't mostly be established members of main parties? If not, how do you prevent all the independent 'jury' members from just taking the best offers from the other parties in return for patronage and concessions (in a personal benefit rather than matter of conscience sense)?

Lastly, why do you imply that party politicians cannot be 'normal people'? You lot voted them in! :D

Horror scenario after an election:

Party X 42%
Party Y 48%
Random Jury 10% and ALL loyal to Party X
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Wed, 23. May 18, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 23. May 18, 16:19

I kind of see where Usenko is coming from, but I think the solution proposed is unworkable. What I would do is make a rule that no-one can be a politician in *any* capacity without at least ten years' experience working in non-political fields. So, no people going straight from Oxbridge into government, or spending years as a union leader before doing the same thing: you actually have to spend ten years on a farm, or in IT, or driving a bus, or what-have-you before you can try and run the country.

I'm sure some clever sod would work out a way of gaming the system and getting into government after ten years of supervising sheep herders in the Outer Hebrides from their Home Counties mansion, but that sort of person will find a way in regardless of what you put in their way. At least this would mean politicians have a bit more empathy for the average man in the street, since they *were* that man for a decade...

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 23. May 18, 18:17

pjknibbs wrote:you actually have to spend ten years on a farm, or in IT, or driving a bus, or what-have-you before you can try and run the country.
We see how good that works for/with Trump. :P

More seriously, while this may be part of the problem, I think the much bigger problem with politicians is that they spend too much time being politicians. A lot of people start their political career with good ideas, and a certain ideology. However, due to the time it takes to actually reach a state where they can make a difference, and due to the steps they have to take to get there (comprimising, networking etc.), not much is left when they actually have some form of power. Even, if they manage to preserve their ideology or ideas, the need of comprimising and the drive to change anything at all (better to change something than nothing) can easily destroy even the best ideas.

By putting up a 10 years "barrier" before any meaningful political career, I'd guess you just increase the average age of the politicians, which in a lot of countries is already quite high. However, for certain things you do not have to spend 10 years in a "real" job to know that the current system is not the best. Also, you may already have enough understanding of the system in order to be able to propose reasonable changes.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Wed, 23. May 18, 21:12

1. Shut down all social media.
2. Put controller chip in brains of everybody.
3. Submit to our alien overlords.
More to come later.
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 23. May 18, 21:13

mrbadger wrote:To badly quote George Carlin, look at the average person, then accept that half of the worlds population are dumber than they are...
Gee, thanks...

I was fairly comfortable, today. Now, the realization that this may, in fact, be a maxim terrifies me. I have to go outside, today. I have to go to the store. And, now, I realize that I will be subjected to the below-the-mean population of Earth.

Then again, those people are also watching a dial, somewhere, keeping my lights on and my water pressure steady. Natural gas flows into my home, lovingly guided by these barely attentive minds.

This has made me realize something:

The only thing that keeps my idiot neighbor from trying to park his truck in my bedroom is a curb. That's it. A tiny raised portion of concrete may be the only thing that reminds him not to park his truck in my bedroom and kill me, but to continue driving forward so he can eventually make it to his own house.

!@$% bears and sharks and wolves and spiders - You want "fear?" Stand by the curb in front of my house and watch my neighbor drive up the street. That's bravery!

On another thought:

Where are "human rights" in all these suggestions? A few have mentioned some valuable protections or considerations. But, what are our guiding principles when deciding what we would do as a Benevolent Dictator?

We've got to have something that serves as a foundation from which we can derive these proclamations. What is it? What's the "Manifesto" for the New World Order?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 23. May 18, 22:34

Morkonan wrote:
mrbadger wrote:To badly quote George Carlin, look at the average person, then accept that half of the worlds population are dumber than they are...
Gee, thanks...

I was fairly comfortable, today. Now, the realization that this may, in fact, be a maxim terrifies me. I have to go outside, today. I have to go to the store. And, now, I realize that I will be subjected to the below-the-mean population of Earth.
"The world is not full of idiots. But, they are strategically placed so that you'll come across one every day."
Morkonan wrote:What is it? What's the "Manifesto" for the New World Order?
Two Easy rules to follows:
1. X2-Illuminatus is always right!
2. If X2-Illuminatus is wrong, see rule no. 1.

After that it's mainly a question and answer game, during which I'll declare certain existing rule sets as a worldwide law. For example, for human rights, see the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the UN. For jurisdiction there will be a common sense guideline that prevents that courts will have to deal with nonsensical lawsuits which could have been avoided by thinking before acting.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 23. May 18, 22:48

I would locate myself where no one could find me and let things muddle along as they are. That seems to be what nature does and as a product of that nature, I doubt I could improve on it.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 23. May 18, 22:51

X2-Illuminatus wrote: We see how good that works for/with Trump. :P
I already acknowledged it's not a 100% guaranteed thing--nothing is, unfortunately. If there were some method of making sure that all politicians were 100% honest and devoted to actually doing what their constituents demand, rather than just doing whatever will get them re-elected, then I'd deploy it as World Leader--I just don't think any such method exists.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 23. May 18, 22:59

pjknibbs wrote:If there were some method of making sure that all politicians were 100% honest and devoted to actually doing what their constituents demand, rather than just doing whatever will get them re-elected, then I'd deploy it as World Leader--I just don't think any such method exists.
Best chance of getting an honest and devoted leader, is to automatically disqualify anyone seeking leadership. Select leaders by random lottery. If you win(?), you get drafted into the position. At least then, we'd have some small statistical chance of a good human being in the position.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 23. May 18, 23:15

Observe wrote:I would locate myself where no one could find me and let things muddle along as they are. That seems to be what nature does and as a product of that nature, I doubt I could improve on it.
The Great Oz...

"But, you're the great Oz! You're the benevolent dictator that guides us, protects us, gives us The Law and preserves the land!"

"Well, no. See, I don't really do much of anything. But, you feel much better about everything thinking that I do."

:)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 23. May 18, 23:45

Restrict mobile phones to only make/receive calls; nothing else (no internet).
Ensure only 4 television channels existed.
Limit alcohol consumption to being able to purchase no more than 4 units a day (so every 3 days you could buy a bottle of wine).
Ban tobacco.
Ban instant meals.

Mobile phone/tv restrictions to encourage other activities and social skills. Alcohol and tobacco consumption limitations to reduce drug dependencies and so on.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 24. May 18, 01:17

Chips wrote:Restrict mobile phones to only make/receive calls; nothing else (no internet).
Ensure only 4 television channels existed.
Limit alcohol consumption to being able to purchase no more than 4 units a day (so every 3 days you could buy a bottle of wine).
Ban tobacco.
Ban instant meals.

Mobile phone/tv restrictions to encourage other activities and social skills. Alcohol and tobacco consumption limitations to reduce drug dependencies and so on.
I am uncomfortably comfortable with these laws, Overlord... :)

Though, I would add that there needs to be two different educational channels and two different movie channels, as well as one local channel with all-local content on it.

Instant-Meals? Do you mean "fast-food?" Rather say that all meals must be nutritionally balanced and healthy and I'd agree, with the allowance of pie... must have pie... ALL MEALS MUST INCLUDE PIE! :)

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 24. May 18, 04:14

Resign and go fishing. Pipe dreams vs catfish is not a tough choice.
Who made that man a gunner?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 24. May 18, 12:40

pjknibbs wrote:So, no people going straight from Oxbridge into government, or spending years as a union leader before doing the same thing: you actually have to spend ten years on a farm, or in IT, or driving a bus, or what-have-you before you can try and run the country.
I'd modify that slightly.
I'd make it that in order to gain a position within the executive branch of government (with the possible exception of the President / PM / 1st minister etc or other expressly political roles) you must have had non-political experience relevant to the post you wish to be considered for.
I.e. Health ministers that have been doctors or nurses, Home secretaries that have been prison officers or social workers, Chancellors that have worked in finance etc.

That way anyone (including the career politician Eton set) could become a lower level public representative but in order to ascend to a high office you'd need something extra.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 24. May 18, 13:48

Bishop149 wrote:But in order to ascend to a high office you'd need something extra.
Basic ability?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 24. May 18, 17:21

Golden_Gonads wrote:
Bishop149 wrote:But in order to ascend to a high office you'd need something extra.
Basic ability?
A wad of cash and nekkid pics of the Supreme Leader... :)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 25. May 18, 23:34

Chips wrote:Restrict mobile phones to only make/receive calls; nothing else (no internet).[...]
God please no.

Personally I think anyone who has the audacity to do long phone calls in public places should be shoot on the spot. If I am sitting in a train I don't want to hear the ****** lifestory of some asshole sitting behind me. Talking to you Mark from Lippstadt. Technology has finally reaced a point were we can text each other. Use that like any normal person would and don't scream in my ear you bloody wanker. Stupid Mark. Rant over.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 26. May 18, 00:41

clakclak wrote:
Chips wrote:Restrict mobile phones to only make/receive calls; nothing else (no internet).[...]
God please no.

Personally I think anyone who has the audacity to do long phone calls in public places should be shoot on the spot. If I am sitting in a train I don't want to hear the ****** lifestory of some asshole sitting behind me. Talking to you Mark from Lippstadt. Technology has finally reaced a point were we can text each other. Use that like any normal person would and don't scream in my ear you bloody wanker. Stupid Mark. Rant over.
Ya know..

There was a time when we couldn't do either of those things. When we needed to use a phone if we were away from home, we'd often have to use a "Phone Booth" and many of those had.. their own doors, so you always had private conversations.

I know, this was back before the invention of air. But, there's something to be said for privacy and mindfulness of one's immediate surroundings.

(Not a Luddite. Just remarking on how things change and not all old stuff was "bad." Though, new phones are great, I don't think people have learned how to be socially responsible with them.)

Return to “Off Topic English”