webmail recommendation?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

webmail recommendation?

Post by fiksal » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 19:40

Howdy folks,

recently I've been noticing that my Yahoo mail has been getting really slow; it's slow to fetch new email especially when I am waiting for automated ones. Upwards to 30minutes. Initially I thought I'd blame Chrome, but I got similar result with Firefox, so, it must be Yahoo server itself.

Thus, what do you guys like to use for your email? Something that works equally well in the browser and on Android.

I have a Gmail account too, but I thought perhaps not to have all my accounts on one server.

Have anyone used Outlook recently?

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 19:47

Only bother with Gmail. Have a few different accounts.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 19:52

+1 to gmail.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 20:12

Though I prefer having an own domain and an own email being assigned to every business contact, for all other things, like trash and web accounts I rarely use, gmail is a nice way to go.

So, yeah, gmail +1.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 20:14

silenced wrote:Though I prefer having an own domain and an own email being assigned to every business contact, for all other things, like trash and web accounts I rarely use, gmail is a nice way to go.

So, yeah, gmail +1.
I gave up on my own domain long ago, due to its inflexibility.

Alright, may just do Gmail for everything then.

Also, damn Yahoo.... closer to 1 hour of not seeing new emails already

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 20:22

Yahoo mail seems to get bogged down easily. You can try having new mails forwarded to a different email address and just use the old address as storage. Having quite a few mails makes yahoo mail very slow. I use gmail but I also delete stuff so it doesn't slow down.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 28. Mar 18, 22:09

gmail, always gmail

or Apple email :D

No seriously, even I don't use that...

Gmail has always been the best since it turned up.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 01:25

Another satisfied gmail user here...
fiksal wrote:Also, damn Yahoo.... closer to 1 hour of not seeing new emails already
... but I get the a similar thing which I presumed was down to browser caching (the emails show when I forcibly refresh the page).

We use Office365 webmail for work and it's better if you need integration with calendars, OneNote and stuff. If you just want email you can get on the go on any device, I'd stick with Gmail.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 13:23

I use Gmail, Outlook, icloud - outlook is a pain to integrate into Android unless you use the MS Outlook app (which isn't very good) or 3rd apps like Nine. I think gmail is the easiest to use.
A flower?

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 15:02

+1 to gmail.

In addition to what have been said, Gmail has one of the best spam filters I've seen. It filters literally everything, and I've probably have seen just 3 or 4 false positives in the last couple of years

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 15:39

I got an "official" email from my Internet Provider which I access with outlook. For all other purposes I use gmail which has a quick access icon top right of my firefox homepage (google).

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 18:22

I have to use Outlook for work. I used to redirect everything through gmail, but they changed policies and forced us all to use Outlook.

I just can't stand it, not the Office application version, or the webmail interface. They seem predominantly stuck about ten years back in email developments. Their only recent 'innovation' was the focussed inbox, which somehow actually managed to make my email even harder to use while claiming to be of benefit to me..

After a day of trying to figure out where the f@%k the emails I'd received actually were I went onto google and found out how to disable the thing.

Outside of work you couldn't pay me to use it.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 22:03

now to pick professional and easy to spell username that isnt taken.

How do we feel about "_" or numbers?

Rapier wrote:Another satisfied gmail user here...
fiksal wrote:Also, damn Yahoo.... closer to 1 hour of not seeing new emails already
... but I get the a similar thing which I presumed was down to browser caching (the emails show when I forcibly refresh the page).
Mine didnt even do that, and if its caching it's per connection it seems. My Chrome and Android were stuck, but my Mozilla showed slightly different result. It was still not up to date and didnt update after.

For the record, it took 3 hours for all of them to catch up!
Trois heur!

Ezarkal
x4

Re: webmail recommendation?

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 22:54

fiksal wrote:Have anyone used Outlook recently?
Yes... and oh god I don't know why.
Probably just because I'm too lazy to switch. But I don't recommend it. At the end of the day, it works, and it does the job. But it has a few quirks that can be pretty annoying. Don't ever lose your password, and pray it doesn't decide on it's own that you've lost your password. (Yes, it happened.)
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

fiksal
x4

Re: webmail recommendation?

Post by fiksal » Fri, 30. Mar 18, 05:29

Ezarkal wrote:
fiksal wrote:Have anyone used Outlook recently?
Yes... and oh god I don't know why.
Probably just because I'm too lazy to switch. But I don't recommend it. At the end of the day, it works, and it does the job. But it has a few quirks that can be pretty annoying. Don't ever lose your password, and pray it doesn't decide on it's own that you've lost your password. (Yes, it happened.)

I was wondering why Windows10 was suggesting it to me. For no reason then.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 00:44

"Yahoo" webmail is... Well, let's just say that every person I've ever known that has a Yahoo webmail account has been hacked several times and their email address used to as a spambot. It's... I wouldn't use it on a bet. (Likely, though, that they have acted to compromise their account in some way. Yet, IIRC, Yahoo has been "hacked" multiple times.

No matter the service you chose, it should includes various means of authentication and very good, firm, options for retrieval and authorization, if one should be so unfortunate as to be compromised. Make sure to use a secondary authentication email, if necessary, that is iron-clad. (Usually, one's email addy from one's ISP or providing service, subject to first-person authentication if necessary.)

For that reason, the best email service that one can possibly use is one that relies on "real life" authentication - That service provided by one's own ISP.

All major providers of webmail services have multiple authentication measures in place. That's a good thing. After that, comes "privacy" concerns. IMO, gmail has fallen short in that area...

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 21:10

Kinda said Google maybe is the only main player.

Speaking of ISP email, that's very not permanent. As I move around I switch them often... Even when within the same city

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Apr 18, 23:12

fiksal wrote:...Speaking of ISP email, that's very not permanent. As I move around I switch them often... Even when within the same city
That's very true. But, for authentication reasons, it's an unbeatable choice. It's best to use it as part of your two-factor authentication for webmail. When you move, you change the authentication addy to your new one. That also helps with anonymity, a bit, since you don't want to use your primary ISP email for garbage mail on the web.

A few of the mainstay webmails are still fine. Hotmail/live/whatever-the-heck it is now, these days, is still reliable. And, since there are pay options, it's also easier to authenticate and regain control of should the worst happen. Making Windows OS associations with a "Live" account may help, too.

IOW - The whole point of anything I have to say on the matter is that control and recovery of your webmail-based account is of paramount importance. That's the first factor one should consider if that account is to be anything of importance. If it's not, then just use any of a number of email solutions including temporary email accounts, etc..

Return to “Off Topic English”