Mac vs PC

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 18:44

felter wrote:I honestly don't know why people buy apple computers and phones.
You'd have to own one for a while to find out,not just read about them.

Since it's unlikely you will, you wouldn't get it.

Having owned Non Mac laptops of all kinds over the years and several Macbooks, I honestly couldn't imagine ever wasting money buying anything except a Macbook from now on.

As for iPhones? They work, I like them, what else is there? My last iPhone lasted 5 years. My Android before then started to deteriorate before it got to 18 months old.

There is NO WAY I will ever buy anything but an iPhone in the future. Not a top of the range one to be sure, but always an iPhone.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 20:01

That's it! Trump is shortsighted blaming everything bad on Mexican aliens. Blame it on EXTRATERRESTRIAL ALIENS! Makes as much sense as... Whoa! Now that I think about it you Don't think Trum... NAH. :D

As for iphones. When 8 came out you could buy 6 or 7 LG's with just as much for the price of one. And without Apple slowing down the performance of their old phones to get you to buy new ones.

I suppose it's a question of status symbols. :roll:

Just kidding. Youre not going to get Apple's support framework with other phones . As I'm finding out. And the saying, "You get what you pay for" applies.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 20:29

There's no reason to buy an 8. I looked into it when I replaced my phone a few months back.

The best phone currently in their lineup is the IPhone SE. It happens to also be the cheapest.

Virtually identical hardware top the 6S, which is only worth buying if you want a bigger screen, which my wife did because of her eyesight.

Above that you're paying for bells and whistles you won't ever make use of. since most people just text, take selfies and use social media. They're only paying for 'the latest thing', which is the case with the latest phone from any manufacturer.

I use mine primarily to keep in constant touch with my wife. It's useful in helping me feel safe, as I have barely controlled epilepsy. Without my phone I'd find being out on my own difficult.

I hardly need a state of the art phone for that, but I do need a reliable one (in an armored case).

And yes, I have found Apples technical/customer service to be fantastic when I've had occasion to make use of it. All of my devices have Applecare.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 20:55

Almost hate to say this, but it appears the "8 phenomenon" of mile long lines at Apple stores was a perception in business that affluence and success was symbolized by the presents or absence of the newest iphone. I have an in-law that griped to me about it. Since the company wanted the workers to chip in for it. I chose a smartphone that had enough techical documentation I could get in on development with and still was supported by my carrier.
(Which does not support iphones).

I'm still waitng for the day you can slip the phone in a slot and have the screen tied to HDTV. ( Mine does, but via a clunky camera arrangement, but it works) Thankfully I've found a bluetooth keyboard with all the PC keys but so far no like mouse support (no right-left clicks some sites depend on).

So with this said, as far as smartphones and pads, I'd go with Apple if I could. Just don't expect that to extend to desktops. There the only debate in my book is intel vs AMD.
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 21:03

mrbadger wrote:My last iPhone lasted 5 years.
Big deal, my Nokia e63 is currently up to 9 years and counting, and I still only have to charge it every week or so. :wink:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 21:06

There is one smartphone that can be plugged into a laptop style enclosure, at which point it essentially 'becomes' a laptop.

Pretty neat idea.

Not for me, I don't need it, but still good. I'm not sure if it was a concept or an actual product. It should be a product.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 21:35

mrbadger wrote:
Pretty neat idea
Yes it is considering when wandering out and about I don't surf nets or forums because I have to use a magnifier to read the text.... oh well, my cross to carry. All fostered because of a cut media cable.
Well I'm going off posts until tomorrow so I can switch the TV from phone to desktop. I've got to see what's next after finally getting those civvy's off the trading station in the wee hours yesterday in the first part of the New Home missions. :D :thumb_up:

EDIT: 400 MILLION CREDITS???!!! Show me the @$!# that though that plotline up! On second thought dont't. Felt like blowing up that trading station myself! (In fact I saved game and shot it half way to oblivion as a feel good snd then decided I'd just wait on this plot until that many Buckzoids was no big issue and reloaded to carry on.) :evil: :thumb_down:
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 11:29

pjknibbs wrote:
Big deal, my Nokia e63 is currently up to 9 years and counting, and I still only have to charge it every week or so. :wink:
A phone that predates the current more or less disposable nature of smartphones, not really a smartphone as we see them now, but then I don't use most of the 'smart' features of my smartphone. It's not really something I'd want now, but I do have a colleague who has been using the same seemingly bulletproof pre smartphone era phone for at least the last 8 years.

Nice if you like it, but not for me.

It's the thing about expecting people to pay large amounts for live fast die young phones I don't get.

One of my undergrad then Ph.D students kept harping on about how much better each of his new phones was than my iphone.

Then they'd start to go wrong, and get replaced, according to him 'because they were last year's tech now', and he'd mock me again with his new phone. Always missing the point that he was spending a ton of money on crap when I just had a phone that kept chugging on.

I only replaced my old phone because somethig went wrong with the touchscreen. Everything else was fine. I was unamused. But five years was good value for money I guess. I could have had it fixed, but I was buying new phones for everyone else, adding one for myself was easier.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 12:46

@mrbadger
I own both, laptop and smartphone wise.

For the hardware quality of Macbooks I fully agree. Mostly because laptop manufacturers tend to pointlessly pump in "high number"-hardware in those tiny cases with bad heat dissipation while on the other hand save money with cheap cases, batteries, screens, keyboards... basically everything you can't put in a comparable number-table.
Marketing: Produce shit that sells well.
It is like putting an airplane turbine on a Fiat Panda, very expensive, very loud and you gain nothing.

When shopping for a laptop I would advise not mindlessly going for the model with a graphics card that just costs 10 $ more.
Last edited by Tamina on Sun, 22. Apr 18, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 13:23

pjknibbs wrote:
Please tell me you only use that thing as a phone :P

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 15:40

Antilogic wrote:
Please tell me you only use that thing as a phone Razz
Prejudiced against Androids?! Beware ...whrr.... Humans.... beep...
We will rule.... (crackle) With our tiny.... (pop) text.... SQUAWK....
:fg:

Edit: PC's... :headbang: Happening now:
I'm in X3TC... Vamping with my economy while waitng for the HUB mission. I'm in my property screen checking to see if any of my sector traders can go to UT and I have to.... CRASH! Blue Screen of Death! Disk.sys. Oh oh. :o
In fact that comfy linux bed I have this VM sleeping in is locked up too. Power Off. Open case. Pull out drive, trot over to bench check it on my backup system. Works fine. BIG OH OH. Ended up being the Sata cable's tension pulled the entire Sata connection block loose from motherboard. In the middle of tedious soldering job. Just another job, but when it's on my baby makes daddy want to spank. :evil:

Update: Cover back on, lost about a real-time hour in the game. Don't want to think about where I'd be if I didn't fix the damn things as a sideline.
Last edited by Hank001 on Sun, 22. Apr 18, 18:19, edited 3 times in total.
MIND THE GAP

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 16:58

Antilogic wrote: Please tell me you only use that thing as a phone :P
I use it for making and receiving calls, and sending and receiving text messages. Is there anything else I should be using a *phone* for? I really don't get this fascination of having something in your pocket that can do most things badly, I'd rather have a dedicated device that does what I bought it for *well*.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 17:10

pjknibbs wrote:
Antilogic wrote: Please tell me you only use that thing as a phone :P
I use it for making and receiving calls, and sending and receiving text messages. Is there anything else I should be using a *phone* for? I really don't get this fascination of having something in your pocket that can do most things badly, I'd rather have a dedicated device that does what I bought it for *well*.
that's all I use my iPhone for (aside from listen to audiobooks on my commute). iMessage is useful, cheaper than texting for images and I get it free across all my Appe devices.

Phone seem to be getting huge because while people seem unwilling to admit it, you really can't do anything else useful on a phone because they're meant to be portable communication devices, not general purpose computers.

But they want ever bigger bigger screens, phablets and nonsense like that. Any phone that won't fit in your pocket is useless.

I *could* buy an iPhone X, but I would consider it a complete waste of money. I'd rather buy another HD for my RAID setup.

10TB SSD, that's what I want, affordable ones anyway.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 20:47

pjknibbs wrote:I use it for making and receiving calls, and sending and receiving text messages. Is there anything else I should be using a *phone* for? I really don't get this fascination of having something in your pocket that can do most things badly, I'd rather have a dedicated device that does what I bought it for *well*.
From a pure "phone" perspective, the thing I find indispensable on modern smartphones is WhatsApp (or insert your choice of other messaging app here) - it's just so much better than SMS. Group chats, receipt/read status, images, etc - I'd say WhatsApp group chats are my single highest-trafficked form of messaging at this point (replacing everything from SMS to IRC over the years).

I would say that the other feature of a smartphone that eclipses any alternatives is navigation - I can travel to a foreign country and with no fuss get directions for the local public transport system or to drive myself. You don't need to meticulously pre-plan everything, if plans change or something goes wrong you can pull up alternatives, etc. It's better than a "traditional" GPS, it's better than poring over out-of-date timetables in a foreign language, etc.

I also use mine for music (it's no worse than any standalone media player I've owned), and a little usage for reading the news/Googling stuff/SSHing into my servers in an emergency/etc, where the point is the convenience of having it on me rather than because it's actually better at doing any of that than a more dedicated device is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 21:31

I tried ssh'ing to my servers from my phone and quickly realised I dislike it, so I no longer do it.

But the only time I do it now is when I'n on my way to or from work, sat in the train station, or in a cafe, using my Macbook. Where there is usually Wifi. Either their own or BT Openzone, which as a BT customer I can access. That is the best reason to have BT internet, since it seems to be everywhere.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 22. Apr 18, 21:43

mrbadger wrote:I tried ssh'ing to my servers from my phone and quickly realised I dislike it, so I no longer do it.
I didn't say I like it, but if my server is down and I'm somewhere I don't have a laptop on me, well, duty calls.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 27. Apr 18, 04:23

Mac vs PC vs Android?

Has anyone ran into the "new" Google Cloud Android app?
I had links posted to download zip files of 3D models and textures. this Monday my email filled up with "requests to download" Okay so I checked and everything was as before... except Googles new "policies". And now if I do give my permission the darn thing will only allow them to "view" the file. They try to download (even on PC) they can only view the zip (in hex if the have a viewer).

Today Google, and Gmail AND Yahoo sent out a long statement on their new polices to comply with new privacy laws.

I gather nobody is really going to change their privacy policies, just change the wording of the lealities your suppose to agree to.
If the US is going to be the leader in all this they'd we'd be better served by laws against robot tech support loops and no way to actually contact people . For all I can prove there IS no human tech support for Google. This annoys me more than Google knowing everything I do on the web and if I write say... TOILET PAPER knowing what adds I'm going to see pop up. :P
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”