Understanding guns in the USA: A fresh look

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Is Usenko onto something?

Why yes, that's a great thought!
19%
What a load of cobblers!
13%
Sausages!
69%

Total votes: 16

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Understanding guns in the USA: A fresh look

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 17:29

clakclak wrote:...Just in case that was still adressed at me, the website I linked for the US numbers refers directly to the FBI report as it's source, whereas the German one refers to the BKA.
It was just a general comment regarding "statistical" posts. It's easy to get lost in the sea of reports, some of which are inaccurate.

Do both the German and American reports define "Burglary" in exactly the same way?

Not that this is certain, but say that the FBI defines "Burglary" and also counts "Automobile Burglaries" as a general "Burglary" where, perhaps, the German authorities have a completely separate definition for that crime. When comparing the two sets of numbers, one would not be comparing equivalent measurements.

This happened, somewhat, in a recently widely circulated report comparing violent crime between the US and UK. The violent crime rate in the UK was much higher than in the US, somewhat absurdly so. But, the two countries define "Violent Crime" differently and in the UK it included some offenses that the US had separate criminal charges for.

clakclak
x3

Re: Understanding guns in the USA: A fresh look

Post by clakclak » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 17:47

Morkonan wrote:[...]
Do both the German and American reports define "Burglary" in exactly the same way? [...]
Yes pretty mutch. Both countries also separate between burlagry/Einbruch and trespassing/Hausfriedensbruch.
FBI wrote:The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program defines burglary as the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft. To classify an offense as a burglary, the use of force to gain entry need not have occurred. The UCR Program has three subclassifications for burglary: forcible entry, unlawful entry where no force is used, and attempted forcible entry. The UCR definition of “structure” includes apartment, barn,
house trailer or houseboat when used as a permanent dwelling, office, railroad car (but not automobile), stable, and vessel (i.e., ship).
https://www.anwalt.org/einbruch/ wrote:Unter dem Begriff „Einbruch“ ist das unerlaubte Eindringen in einen abgegrenzten Bereich zu verstehen, bei dem ein Hindernis oder eine Absicherung überwunden wird. Ein klassisches Beispiel ist hierbei der Einbruch in eine Wohnung oder in die Geschäftsräume einer anderen Person in dem Vorhaben, eine fremde Sache zu entwenden.
[Rough Translation: Einbruch=unauthorized entry into a zoned area (for example a house or company premises). Example given: Breaking into the flat or premise of someone else with the intend to steal.]
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 18:09

Central Michigan shooting: University says 2 dead, suspect at large

I think the main problem in the USA these days is that gun related violence is just too common and has lost a lot of it's shocking value. While these incidents are still tragedies, especially for the people involved of course, there are so many other tragedies so commonly displayed and broadcasted in the news today that people have lost any relation whatsoever. People haven't had time to mourn the dead of one incident, when the next incident happens already. As such I would say that people simply do not care enough for any real change to happen. The status quo is more important than the lifes of other people.
It's a bit like with texting and driving: Everyone knows it's dangerous, there are numerous studies and a lot of evidence that using your phone in the car will have a negative impact on your driving skills, it is super easy to get you a hands-free headset for your phone and car (which is still not ideal). Yet there are still a huge number of accidents caused by distracted driving. The reason: People don't care and consider their own “informational needs“ to be more important than the lifes of others, and ironically of themselves.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 19:28

Masterbagger wrote:I suspect most people agitating for gun control don't want to understand guns in America and completely ignore anything that isn't pushing a narrative that guns are bad. I think that is why we've gotten to where we are now with gangs running amok in our cities. Gun control laws are implemented poorly. The people actually doing the harm with guns have already gotten around the laws and won't be stopped by new ones. I really think gun control isn't designed to stop crime.
Gun-related crimes or criminals having guns is not the major problem. We focus too much on that. I don't have the statistics on-hand and I can't be bothered looking them up again. Most gun deaths are from suicide and domestic violence. Accidental deaths also number over 100 thousand each year.

Again, I don't know the stats, but I'm guessing most gun deaths are caused by those under 25 years of age. Raise the gun purchase age to 25 and we will significantly lowered the number of gun deaths. If you are over 25, it can be presumed that you have at least half a brain. Under that age - not so much.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 01:50

Masterbagger wrote: The blood on the streets and the wild west shootouts never appeared in any of those states. The addition of more lawful guns circulating in public didn't produce more violence. The situation isn't as simple as less guns less crime.
Interesting statement - I think it demonstrates that you are acclimatised to a higher level of violence than most of us. To people outside the USA, "Blood on the streets" is almost exactly what we're seeing.

Not trying to be cruel or anything, just to point out that at least part of the issue is American perceptions. If you're accustomed to a society in which gun violence is a rare thing (pretty much any discharge of a weapon in city areas of Sydney gets reported on the news), hearing of regular shootings of 3 or more people seems very much the kind of violence that one would describe in (albeit emotive) terms such as "blood on the streets".
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 02:16

clakclak wrote:
Masterbagger wrote:[...]
The past few years have seen more States pass laws removing restrictions on public carry of a firearm for self defense. A few have even gone to Constitutional carry and deregulated it entirely. The blood on the streets and the wild west shootouts never appeared in any of those states. The addition of more lawful guns circulating in public didn't produce more violence. The situation isn't as simple as less guns less crime.
What states are you talking about specifically?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_carry

Look at the animated graphic on the right to see how carry laws have proliferated over the last few decades. Most of America went from no carry or may issue to shall issue or constitutional carry in a relatively short amount of time.
Usenko wrote:
Interesting statement - I think it demonstrates that you are acclimatised to a higher level of violence than most of us. To people outside the USA, "Blood on the streets" is almost exactly what we're seeing.

Not trying to be cruel or anything, just to point out that at least part of the issue is American perceptions. If you're accustomed to a society in which gun violence is a rare thing (pretty much any discharge of a weapon in city areas of Sydney gets reported on the news), hearing of regular shootings of 3 or more people seems very much the kind of violence that one would describe in (albeit emotive) terms such as "blood on the streets".
I'm a student of violence and formerly a practitioner. I believe violence has a place in even the most civilized of societies down to the lowest level of citizenry. Most of our gun violence is criminals killing criminals. No one wants to deal with that. It's outside the boundaries of our own comfortable lives. We don't care how many people are shot in Chicago each weekend but we lose our minds when it happens to a school full of the good people. No one can come up with a good solution so we come up with emotionally driven crap and try to force it into law. The problem is never dealt with.
Observe wrote:
Again, I don't know the stats, but I'm guessing most gun deaths are caused by those under 25 years of age. Raise the gun purchase age to 25 and we will significantly lowered the number of gun deaths. If you are over 25, it can be presumed that you have at least half a brain. Under that age - not so much.
Two issues. First, you would be denying legal adults a natural right the government is barred from infringing under our Constitution.

Second, the majority of murderers and murdered are young male minorities in inner cities. To me that screams GANGS in giant red letters. Straw purchase, theft, illegal dealers, illegal transfers. They can still get the guns. How did Adam Lanza and Eric Harris get their guns? I'm not going to tell you. Look it up.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 04:54

Masterbagger wrote: Two issues. First, you would be denying legal adults a natural right the government is barred from infringing under our Constitution.
Um, the right to bear arms is itself an amendment to the original Constitution? The US government has every right to change the Constitution as it sees fit, and has done so many times. With sufficient support they could introduce an amendment that would alter or even remove the Second. I doubt that'll ever happen, but to assume that it simply cannot is simply not borne out by the facts.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 06:38

pjknibbs wrote:
Masterbagger wrote: Two issues. First, you would be denying legal adults a natural right the government is barred from infringing under our Constitution.
Um, the right to bear arms is itself an amendment to the original Constitution? The US government has every right to change the Constitution as it sees fit, and has done so many times. With sufficient support they could introduce an amendment that would alter or even remove the Second. I doubt that'll ever happen, but to assume that it simply cannot is simply not borne out by the facts.
That is not a road you or I want to walk down and that is a fact. Put it out of your mind.
Who made that man a gunner?

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 09:04

Masterbagger wrote:
I'm a student of violence and formerly a practitioner. I believe violence has a place in even the most civilized of societies down to the lowest level of citizenry. Most of our gun violence is criminals killing criminals. No one wants to deal with that. It's outside the boundaries of our own comfortable lives. We don't care how many people are shot in Chicago each weekend but we lose our minds when it happens to a school full of the good people. No one can come up with a good solution so we come up with emotionally driven crap and try to force it into law. The problem is never dealt with.
I have to point out that losing one's mind when a school is shot up is entirely warranted. This is something that shouldn't happen, not anywhere. And as I say, everywhere else in the world it's been demonstrated to be preventable.

However . . you're right that people should care about the constant violence in Chicago as well. Again, as I say, America has become acclimatised to a level of violence that no other country of comparable development would consider okay.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 10:36

clakclak wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:I always thought the US Navy (and those that might be shooting at them) might generally be using rather different projectiles than small arms rounds?[...]
Correct me if I am wrong, but according to this article, gangs in Chicago use more and more Ar-15 and Ak-47 style weopens lately. If I am not completely missinformed than those fire rounds you will also find in warzones. Sure they don't have bigger machine guns like 50.cal's or the russian 14.5mm rounds, but the russian 7.62mm round (fired by the AKM) and the NATO 5.56mm rounds (fired by the US M16/M4) are also pretty common in todays warzones.
Hold up...

What?

that's not a gun problem, that is a warzone. No amount of legal gun ownership is going to fix that problem, it's like putting out a fire with petrol.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:27

mrbadger wrote: it's like putting out a fire with petrol.
Oh don't say that; did you never watch "On Deadly Ground" where Steven Seagal puts out an oil derrick fire with a bomb? :D

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:34

Putting out an oil fire with a bomb is normal - you are effectively blowing the fire out (a big shockwave of air).

Putting out a fire with petrol? Not such a brilliant idea.

So the metaphor still works. :P

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:40

Usenko wrote:Putting out a fire with petrol? Not such a brilliant idea.
Technically it can be done; petrol in liquid isn't flammable. It's the vapour. If you could prevent that... :D

Likewise if it used all the oxygen up... (think that's also what the explosives are doing, (re)moving the Oxygen away?
Last edited by Chips on Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:43

Masterbagger wrote:I'm a student of violence and formerly a practitioner. I believe violence has a place in even the most civilized of societies down to the lowest level of citizenry. Most of our gun violence is criminals killing criminals. No one wants to deal with that. It's outside the boundaries of our own comfortable lives. We don't care how many people are shot in Chicago each weekend but we lose our minds when it happens to a school full of the good people. No one can come up with a good solution so we come up with emotionally driven crap and try to force it into law. The problem is never dealt with.
- HEY!!
- did I just read that..??
- what a thoroughly horrible attitude..!!
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:45

Think the point to make out Bug is - no-one is born a criminal.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 18:44

Masterbagger wrote:Most of our gun violence is criminals killing criminals.
That kind of erroneous statement, is why it is a waste of time presenting facts for you. Actually, criminals killing criminals is barely a blip on the radar of gun violence.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 18:59

Masterbagger wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:
That is not a road you or I want to walk down and that is a fact. Put it out of your mind.
Removing the second amendment is precisely the road you will find yourself walking unless 'reasonable' solutions can be found. The Constitution is a 'living document' subject to changing times and changing public sentiment. Just as the current batch of false Republicans have seized absurdity, so will the axe swing in the opposite extreme in equal or greater measure.

Get rid of the Second, and Americas gun problem will significantly vanish over time.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sun, 4. Mar 18, 01:29

Observe wrote: Removing the second amendment is precisely the road you will find yourself walking unless 'reasonable' solutions can be found. The Constitution is a 'living document' subject to changing times and changing public sentiment. Just as the current batch of false Republicans have seized absurdity, so will the axe swing in the opposite extreme in equal or greater measure.

Get rid of the Second, and Americas gun problem will significantly vanish over time.
You can't make something go away with a law. You'll have to go and take them. That won't go peacefully. This is a very unhealthy fantasy for all parties.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 4. Mar 18, 01:51

Masterbagger wrote:You can't make something go away with a law.
Yet, you maintain it is a law that entitles you to guns? Illogical at best.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Sun, 4. Mar 18, 05:25

Observe wrote:
Masterbagger wrote:You can't make something go away with a law.
Yet, you maintain it is a law that entitles you to guns? Illogical at best.
The right to bear arms wasn't granted by our government. It was recognized as something the people already had.

Return to “Off Topic English”