Star Trek Discovery

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 09:29

I thought that episode 2 wasn't too bad and I only realised right at the end why, It didn'thave Michael in it until the end. I still have to watch this on my own, as the wife has a lower tolerance for nonsense tv.
At least now we are getting to know the crew.
A flower?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 12:10

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Sun, 1. Nov 20, 09:29
At least now we are getting to know the crew.
Sorry to disappoint but you wont.

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 18:51

I knew you hadn't seen the show. Watch it first, comment after. The crew of the ship wasn't replaced at any point. If you haven't figured out who they are, you didn't watch season 1 or 2.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 20:38

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 1. Nov 20, 18:51
I knew you hadn't seen the show.
Dont say silly things you dont know.

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 21:17

You're the one that implied that you don't know who the crew is. The only way that would be possible is if you hadn't seen the show. So that leads me to believe you've just read some review and coopted someone else's opinions for your own.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 2. Nov 20, 01:10

You should avoid making assumptions and also lose the habit of attacking the person instead of their opinion. You can disagree with me without questioning my character.

Now I quoted some one else's post that said they wanted to "getting to know the crew", which you dont. My implication is that knowing someone goes beyond remembering their name, considering people are made of so much more. It should have been easy enough to have understood that without having to spell it out.

Also you just would have had to read back a few pages to know "if I watched" the show or not, but guess that would have been too much work.

Btw and since I'm here I watched EP 3 and its mostly crap, 15 min of filler to then get back to Season 1 style writing where stuff happens and only one person can solve it, by doing things the wrong way and then get praised for it. Its baffling!

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 2. Nov 20, 06:15

Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 2. Nov 20, 01:10
You should avoid making assumptions and also lose the habit of attacking the person instead of their opinion. You can disagree with me without questioning my character.

Now I quoted some one else's post that said they wanted to "getting to know the crew", which you dont. My implication is that knowing someone goes beyond remembering their name, considering people are made of so much more. It should have been easy enough to have understood that without having to spell it out.

Also you just would have had to read back a few pages to know "if I watched" the show or not, but guess that would have been too much work.
Except I find your assessments consistently missing the mark. There's so many inaccuracies and obvious gaps in basic understanding of the story arc progression that for you to have seen the show and missed those things is mind boggling given how detailed your knowledge is on other subjects. I mean, I know that you're completely capable of grasping all of the rather obvious story concepts that are presented in the show. But you haven't, so, my only conclusion to draw is you haven't seen it.
Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 2. Nov 20, 01:10
Btw and since I'm here I watched EP 3 and its mostly crap, 15 min of filler to then get back to Season 1 style writing where stuff happens and only one person can solve it, by doing things the wrong way and then get praised for it. Its baffling!

MFG

Ketraar
You mean like practically every episode of Star Trek ever?
rebellionpac.com

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 17:10

I'm quite tolerate of low quality sci-fi but I'm afraid I just couldn't be bothered to finish the last two episodes.
A flower?

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 17. Jan 21, 23:06

I did finish them.

Suffice it to say that I don't think I'll be bothering with Season 4 which, inexplicable to me, is being made.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 19. Jan 21, 11:21

This season killed it for me. Really bad. A shame.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Wed, 29. Dec 21, 19:49

Sorry for bringing this up again...

I left Discovery alone from the start, & am just now doing the 'box set thing' via Amazon Prime,
so going one episode at a time Season 1 ... Season 4, which is up to episode 5.

Struggling to get any empathy or connection with the main characters (Burnham etc),
and feels like there's way too much 'touchy feely' padding (seems about 50% of each episode).

But there are some good ideas & stories there, & certainly some good scenes,
+ it's got that 'continuing story' thing going on.

Got most of the way through season 3, but want to know if it gets any better ?
Might just cut my losses...or struggle on

berth
x4

Post by berth » Wed, 29. Dec 21, 23:13

Haven't seen season 4, I didn't even realise it was out.

Despite what I said earlier, I'll probably have a look, just in case it's magically become worth watching.

The answer I wrote before, when I thought I'd seen 4 seasons rather than 3 was:

Michael Burnham doesn't get any better. Season 4(I meant 3) is quite different, setting-wise at least. Story was pretty ropey as I recall.
Ymmv, or chacun à son goût, is probably the best answer :)

Apologies if this post makes no sense ;)

berth
x4

Post by berth » Thu, 30. Dec 21, 23:21

Went to watch S4 tonight - didn't realise that you have to BUY IT(??!!) so didn't bother. Will have a look if/when it comes onto Amazon Prime..

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 09:28

I've already watched series 1 to 3, & now series 4 on 'Prime Video',
currently all series are £2.49 an episode or :
Series 1, 13 episodes, £25.99
Series 2, 14 episodes, £24.99
Series 3, 13 episodes, £24.99
Series 4, up to episode 7 (of 13 episodes ?), £19.99

Don't know if it'll ever be free on Prime / Fire-TV ?
I've paid all of that, but thinking it wasn't worth it really...
but hey ho - it's something to watch with sofa dinners

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 12:59

Not saying much about the quality as I'm not usually raving about it, but might have been much cheaper to get Netflix for a month or two (you even get a free month one the first time).

MFG

Ketraar

PS. I have Netflix (on and off) but only watched one episode of S4 and its pretty much same crap as before, so I didnt invest in watching it. May hate watch it at some point later (probably not).

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 31. Dec 21, 22:06

Guess you're right about Netflix being cheaper than buying on Prime
- at least for the 1st three seasons,
not sure about price of season 4 since it was 'pulled' from Netflix.

For me, I didn't want yet another subscription, so I've avoided joining Netflix.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 11:59

Discovery is free in the UK on Pluto TV. I haven't watched it as it only being shown 'live' and not on Demand at 9.00pm on a Friday.

Don't think I'm missing much anyway.
A flower?

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 12:39

I thought the new season of Discovery wasn't on Netflix, only on Paramount+, even in countries that don't have Paramount+.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 23. Jun 22, 11:41

I'm a glutton for punishment and have taken the Paramount+ 7 day free trial (via Amazon) to basically see if it's worth subscribing to to watch Discovery and it's spin off Strange New Worlds.

Well, so far I've watched two episodes of SNW and one of S4 Discovery and the original series pilot "The Cage". (To remind me of the original Chris Pike.)
Discovery is no better, scripts are awful, too much explaining of the plot (stupid explaining - eg. "If our shields we'll be destroyed") and it doesn't engage me at all. The ideas seem "OK" but the way it's delivered is just wrong.

Strange New Worlds is better and has a bit more feel of the original TOS but something seems off, not sure what, perhaps it will get better when I get used to the new actors playing the familiar characters. Of those, Ethan Peck (Gregory Peck's grandson) is OK as Spock, the new Uhura (Celia Rose Gooding) has a bigger role than the original and not welded to the communications console. The new Christine Chapel (Jess Bush) is also a more prominent role. Doctor M'Benga(Babs Olusanmokun) is also on board. I'm not really including Jeffrey Hunter's Chris Pike and Majel Barrett's No.1 as they really didn't get a chance to develop their characters in a TOS and have been played by Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn in more episodes.

At the moment "The Orville" still does do the better "Star Trek".
A flower?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 23. Jun 22, 12:46

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Thu, 23. Jun 22, 11:41
Strange New Worlds is better and has a bit more feel of the original TOS but something seems off
while its miles better then anything else new Trek manage to create, the reason it feels off for me is that some one forgot that its a Sci-Fi show in the future. People speak, act and cloth themselves as hipsters from 2016. Otherwise OKish show (SNW) but mostly just remakes of existing and overdone things, sure it looks better, but it doesn't add anything new or even addresses new issues or asks new questions, which was one of the things Trek was known for.

I even forgive many disregards for consistency as the writers are the same people, so didn't expect much improvement on that front. Also too much "faith" and "destiny" overshadowing the science part. feels like these new "influencers" labelling themselves as "nerds" because its now somehow cool to be, but having no clue what that means. But it seems to be a general issue not exclusive to Trek, as the new Star Wars shows seem to suffer from the same blanditis. Rewatching Battlestar Galactica for teh 4th time seems a much better idea, not a fan of Orville as I'm not really into parodies.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”