Ranty McRant Thread 2

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ApoxNM
x4

Re: Ranty McRant Thread 2

Post by ApoxNM » Fri, 21. Dec 18, 22:04

mrbadger wrote:
Mon, 11. Dec 17, 17:22
So why is it, year after year, I have this same 'I've left everything till the last minute and now I'm stuck because I didn't come to the lectures or do any work and I don't know what I'm doing' crap?
I can share some of my viewpoints on this (from my perspective and experience). I myself was always one who went against the mainstream, with everything. An individualist so to speak.

My strategy in school was the one, were I did the bare minimum and mostly waited till the end for learning. Kind of like what you describe. When I had one teacher or professor, I could have almost the worst grades all year long and if the teacher changed I could suddenly start getting the best grade. Why? Because I am a creative person. I hated monotony and I hated stupidily memorizing thing. If a teacher could actually spark my curiosity for something that I had to figure out (problem solve) or I could somehow apply, I would start to really get into it (which happened in about about 5% of the cases).

So mostly I did not care about school and soon realized graded didn't matter, so my strategy worked perfectly.

I started working and gained experience. At the age of 26 I decided to go to college again (for two years). In this college all professors had at least 20-30 years working experience in their field and tought us practical examples, so it was a whole different level. But same here, some teachers just didn't really put an effort in so we had to stupidily memorize stuff again, almost failed those classes.

Now I am in my mid 30ies and my curiosity never seizes, so I am learning programming and already work as web dev freelancer aside my job.

My advice is, figure out if you can spark the curiosity in your students. If you can make the mcurious, they might start learning by themselfes. If not, just let them be, it's their life anyways.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 28. Jan 19, 16:37

Today, on "People trying to become outraged over things that don't matter - Fluff Article Version Because Pagehits are Money" - The Atlantic - The Long Lines for Women’s Bathrooms Could Be Eliminated. Why Haven’t They Been?

OK, we're going to play a little game. I'm not going to rant - YOU ARE! IN YOUR BRAIN! That's right, this post is designed to induce /rant in your head by just quoting portions of this waste-of-internet-ink article from a news outlet that is actually fairly well regarded! Yup, it's a reputable news organization, or was until this darn article floated to the top of the bowl... So, enjoy your rant! You're welcome!
It’s been more than 30 years since states started trying to achieve “potty parity,” but many queues are still unequal.
“It still remains a huge problem today, overall,” says Kathryn Anthony, an architecture professor at the University of Illinois who has studied the issue for more than a decade. The issue persists for many reasons: the exigencies of real estate, the building codes that govern construction, and, of course, sexism.
Meghan Dufresne, an architect at the nonprofit Institute for Human Centered Design, says it’s hard for potty-parity advocates like her to go up against the end goals of real-estate companies. “Nobody is paid for work in this area,” she says. “There’s no career for this, so I think it’s a hard sell to get people to provide extra restrooms.”
Reflecting on the progress that has and hasn’t been made, Dufresne said, “I think the ratios are a good try at improving things … but the main thing we’re looking to focus on is equal speed of access to the restrooms.” “Equal speed of access” is a standard of fairness that points to a solution that now, unfortunately, often leads to political flare-ups: gender-neutral bathrooms. That is, one way to guarantee that men and women wait the same amount of time for a toilet is to make them wait for the same toilets.
Of course, not every American bathroom user is likely to have the same sensibility as Banzhaf’s urban-dwelling law students, and men do not have a record of responding well when forced to cede facilities to women—see the irate male football fans in Nashville who in 1999 pushed for a potty-parity exemption when a new state law resulted in stadium-toilet ratios that had some of them waiting 15 to 20 minutes.
[ external image ]

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 29. Jan 19, 18:34

I don't know why I'm supposed to rant or get angry about the article. :gruebel: Read it if it interests you, or to think about something people don't think about, or don't :D

Ranting is more "approaching Motorway turn off, there's a few car lengths infront of me as I've closed up to a Lorry as I'm about to exit, and there's about half a km behind me empty in the lane... and a car races up, passes me, then cuts in braking heavily to not hit the lorry... causing me to brake heavily as there's no safe gap and they're overdoing it". Such an inconsiderate moron - just slow and pull in behind where there's tons of space instead of making 2 cars emergency brake to avoid accident. What's more, in doing it that way, neither of us are inconvenienced or dangerous, and it's actually quicker. That's a good rant :D Instead i just calculate whether I could ram them instead and it'd be their fault for dangerous driving or something :P

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 29. Jan 19, 19:53

Chips wrote:
Tue, 29. Jan 19, 18:34
I don't know why I'm supposed to rant or get angry about the article. :gruebel: Read it if it interests you, or to think about something people don't think about, or don't :D
It's the ridiculousness of "potty parity" being spewed by the article. It is as if society must act to reduce wait times for the ladies restroom because men pee faster, don't bother washing their hands, don't stand around in the restroom checking their makeup, don't make going to the restroom in groups, regardless if one has to pee or not, part of one's social life and a host of other things that don't have much at all to do with actual, real, "potty parity."

It is the fault of men and it is sexual discrimination, according to the article, that might, occasionally, and only in very specific situations, cause women to have to stand in line or wait a little longer in order to pee... "Sexual Discrimination in Potty Parity."

If you have external plumbing and use facilities designed for that, then the article is saying that your fellow external plumbing owners and users are at fault for an occasional, deadly, life-changing, extinction-event-inducing slightly longer wait time for a woman to pee... And, if you have turned a selfish blind eye along with other external-plumbing-priveleged persons, it's your fault too!
Ranting is more "approaching Motorway turn off, there's a few car lengths infront of me as I've closed up to a Lorry as I'm about to exit, and there's about half a km behind me empty in the lane... and a car races up, passes me, then cuts in braking heavily to not hit the lorry... causing me to brake heavily as there's no safe gap and they're overdoing it". Such an inconsiderate moron - just slow and pull in behind where there's tons of space instead of making 2 cars emergency brake to avoid accident. What's more, in doing it that way, neither of us are inconvenienced or dangerous, and it's actually quicker. That's a good rant :D Instead i just calculate whether I could ram them instead and it'd be their fault for dangerous driving or something :P
Well, a "Good Rant" should serve both the ranter and the rantee... :) Both giver and receiver should benefit in some way. The former by some cathartic release of negative emotions and the latter by the positive feelings induced by an entertaining or interesting rant. There's also something else, too - A ranter may actively desire to give the viewer a positive experience rather than just constructing the rant for their own edification. That's the best kind of rant, IMO.

I can't positively benefit too much by experiencing a rant about Vegemite. I dunno wtf it really is, to begin with, and have never encountered it in the wild. BUT, if the ranter constructed their rant with the intent of entertaining the viewer, I'd probably get something positive out of experiencing it even if I didn't understand it all. Those are always the "Award Winning" rants. :)

Here's a "driving related" rant. It's true. It happened to me yesterday. And, since it's related to driving experiences, most people here would understand it so that makes it double-plus good... If someone could write it well. :)

So, an arctic coldaggedon is striking the US right now. It's supposed to be suitably nutshrivelingly cold. It's the "be sure to take your pets inside" cold that results in a ""cats stuck to concrete kind of experience for people who ignore the warnings. (And that own cats) So, what do people do when the local weatherperson tells them that their friggin janglies are going to freeze off and they should expect a quarter-of-an-inch to fifty-feet of snow and ice to accompany it? They go to the darn grocery store.

I had no knowledge of the upcoming coldaggedon. ZERO! I didn't know about it because I don't pay attention to stuffs. All sorts of stuffs, like "clean socks" and "Emergency Weather Alerts" are safely avoided in being known by me. These are life-effecting things that I ignore on purpose because that's just how I roll. So, imagine my surprise when, yet again, the grocery story parking lot was filled with minivans and THERE WAS A LINE OF AUTOS waiting to enter the darn Airport-Sized "HUGE ASS PARKING LOT™" parking lot at the grocery store!

As soon as I saw the line of cars waiting to enter parking lot, I knew - Someone announced a grocery store invasion and my life as a grocery-store shopper would be filled with senior citizens trying to write checks at the register, soccer-moms with kids in tow that may not even be theirs, at least three young kids screaming incoherently at all times because there's always an aisle reserved for that, people who have never, ever, been to a grocery-store before and then people like me, who don't want to be there at all but have run out of food at home. It's either go to the grocery store or shoot my neighbor's cats and eat them. Kind of difficult decision, really, all things considered. I almost turned around, but cat always sticks in my teeth.

Here's the thing and it ties in with the article that I posted above: Do you have any idea what caused the stalling lines to maneuver one's automobile into the "Huge Ass Parking Lot ™" at the grocery store? No, it wasn't simply because there were a lot of people panicking because they didn't have doughnuts, it was because of women in minivans...

(I love women, so don't get me wrong! They're pretty cool. I also fully respect a woman's right to operate a motor vehicle. This is "satire." It's "parody." It's also true, which makes this a fact-filled documentary offered for scientificky purposes.)

See, here's the problem: These grocery-store Valkyries pull into the parking lot and immediately motor to the front of the store entrance as fast as they can, no matter if its a good idea for them to run over toddlers or not. Then, they hit the brakes, hard. I don't mean that they "slow down to a reasonable speed." I mean they slam on the brakes as soon as they get in front of the store entrance. And then, do you know what they do? They increase their "speed" to 1 mph and look down each row of parked cars, using their genetically enhanced capability to detect the closest possible parking space to the entrance to the friggin' grocery store. The closest one out of all the closest ones. The Very Closest. The are all looking for "The One."

This takes time. This means that they must complete a full survey of all the rows of parking spaces. This means that the whole friggin parking lot turns into one giant friggin' Maypole-like dance of road-salt stained minivans ceaselessly circling the parking lot, all looking for "that one parking space that will compete their lives, forever." This also means that Carmageddon is real and people are dying while waiting in the road's turn lane to enter the Huge Ass Parking Lot ™. This means that dozens of pygmies and at least three wallabies have died to minivanpometrically-induced global warming.

Meanwhile, me and the other bachelors-who-dont-give-a-crap deftly maneuver out of the chaos of The Endless Dance will park in the first available space we can find and WALK (that thing people do with their feet) to the entrance of the grocery store. And, you know what? Every single one of us walking to the grocery store was staring at "The Dance" with that squinty "Not quite a wtf is going on here look, but wtf is going on here" look. Every_single_one_of_us. Every traveling pedestrian in that parking lot was rubbernecking at the confusion of minivans. Part of that is simply the act of self-preservation. We were all reminded of our mortality because it's pretty depressing to have to look at the tire marks on the fluffy little toddler-sized Northface jackets littering the ground where ravaging minivans driven by insane Valkyries have claimed yet another victim.

And, those desperate minvan drivers on their holy Crusade to find "THE ONE" parking spot that is closest? They're all on cell-phones, complaining to anyone who will listen that "there aren't any parking spaces at the grocery store."

This happened to me at around 6:00 pm, Monday, January 29'th, 2019. I was able to successfully return home at 6:45'ish pm or so. Once I entered the Huge Ass Parking Lot ™ it took me less than a minute to park my car. I'm sure there were still some minivans that remained caught in "The Dance" as I was making my way home. I was blissfully free.

PS - There is only one thing that I truly enjoyed about going to the grocery store, yesterday. No matter how cold it is outside, no matter terrible weather of any sort, there's a local Yoga Pant Army that is always flowing in and out of a large local health/workout/gym/aerobics/yoga/new-age-crystal-latte complex. They also happen to eat food and, thus, go to the grocery store. Now, some of them shouldn't be wearing yoga pants. It's their "Right", to be sure. But, for some... just no. Don't do it. However, many of the award-winning members of the Yoga Pant Army were in attendance at the grocery store, last night, so at least the scenery was nice... :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 29. Jan 19, 21:03

Great rant Mork, but I now have some really weird images stuck in my mind: :o

1. You snacking on various abandoned cats stuck to concrete while waiting to enter the grocery store.
2. Tyre-marked Northface toddler jackets and sweaty yoga pants being offered cheap in said store's pre-owned bin.
3. The Valkyries charging to the store entrance in their minivans and slamming on the brakes - in the coldaggedon - and so turning the dance into shuntaggedon.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 07:40

Afraid I still don't understand why I should get mad about an article highlighting that, when designing buildings for public use of large numbers, a consideration within the design couldn't be taken to allocate a bit more space for more cubicles for ladies restrooms to alleviate a problem. Personally it makes no difference to my life if they increase the number of ladies toilets, let alone a negative difference on my quality of life. So why begrudge it? Why rant and rave like it's a personal affront?

I mean, I was born fully able, but I'm not going to rant about accessibility concessions to wheel chair users who were born without a similar level of mobility.

I know it's a rant thread, aimed for the pointless, but... in encouraging others to rant because you hold one opinion is slightly different to just ranting about your opinion to get it off your chest :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 1. Feb 19, 20:35

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 29. Jan 19, 21:03
Great rant Mork, but I now have some really weird images stuck in my mind: :o

1. You snacking on various abandoned cats stuck to concrete while waiting to enter the grocery store.
2. Tyre-marked Northface toddler jackets and sweaty yoga pants being offered cheap in said store's pre-owned bin.
3. The Valkyries charging to the store entrance in their minivans and slamming on the brakes - in the coldaggedon - and so turning the dance into shuntaggedon.
Not too far from reality...

1) IF there is a "medium" sized snowfall, I can't go anywhere - I live on a big hill and unless the snow sublimates, there's going to be ice at the bottom, which means cars tend to slide down there and gather in closely-packed herd of crunched up vehicles, "'cause gravity." (Trudging there through the snow is not a desirable proposition. "Cat" might then be on the menu. :) )
2) I thought of that while carefully watching a tiny toddler in a tiny little pink Northface pugg-jacket following behind their mother, penguin-shuffling the whole way... Scary, considering the patrolling minivans - They wouldn't have seen her, since they're all on their friggin' phones, complaining to somebody... (She survived!)
3) Being a mother in charge of a bunch of kids and then having to take the whole group to the grocery store is NOT an easy occupation. I feel for them. But... the raw rage of the grocery-store-minivan-driving-Valkyrie is very, very, real.
Chips wrote:
Fri, 1. Feb 19, 07:40
I know it's a rant thread, aimed for the pointless, but... in encouraging others to rant because you hold one opinion is slightly different to just ranting about your opinion to get it off your chest :D
The point being is that whatever construction that does not adhere to these demands in inherently "sexist." AND, why must it somehow be that there is a herd of females waiting at every women's restroom door because someone ignored "potty-parity" regulation? Where are these "lines" to begin with? And, whenever they occur, is it because some man, somewhere, decided to be a sexist jerk or, perhaps, places where large groups of women occur may just end up being the same places that large groups of women end up traipsing off to the bathroom in groups so they can socialize, freshen their makeup and hair, etc, etc, all of which has nothing to do with getting rid of bodily waste? Maybe they should, instead, have a different room?

I don't have anything against women having more toilets in their restroom. That's fine. But, I am not being sexist because my body is designed so that I can pee will standing up and that I can direct that pee to flow into a receptical designed for that purpose and I don't even have to do more than unzip my fly during the whole process... Not My Fault. Women's restrooms don't have urinals but, instead, get an extra toilet. Or, maybe, a couch?

And, yeah, it's not meant to be some sort of personally re-affirming life-statement by myself, it's only there to illustrate that some people take the notion of social outrage and implied sexist judgement "A Bit Too Far." I mean, seriously, there are times when that article reads as if some generic "man" somewhere is sexually repressing innocent women for their own sick sexist ideology... It's a bathroom/restroom/poopy-pee-pee place, not some monument to perpetuated sexual inequality and injustice.

Wherever I have actually seen a line of women waiting to use the women's restroom, I've been standing in a line of men waiting to use the men's restroom... I guess I was supporting some sort of male chauvinist perpetuated social-injustice system while standing there, waiting my own turn to pee?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 11:13

For the first time in many years I have been considering going to a gig.

Specifically this one.
Yes I am an approaching middle aged man that rather enjoys K-Pop, how dare you judge me!!
So when my favourite group announced it was going to take the nearly unprecedented step of playing in the UK (they usually do "World Tours" than encompass far east Asia only :roll:) and in my home city no less I was rather interested.
A number of surprises then ensued, the last one being the reason for inclusion in this thread.
- They announced the venue as Wembley Stadium. Rather large for what I considered my rather niche interest.
- The price for the first gig in the tour was announced. . . ~€160! Bloody Hell!
- Prices for the UK gig, £150 for crap seats, £300 for anything half decent £STUPID for anything good.

&@!~#@"! Hard pass.

Goddamn I'm old, is this normal these days? Back in my day a 3 day festival was cheaper than that.
I'm reliably informed that it is normal and that these are "Beyonce prices" which seems a little odd . . . Global megastar (who sings in English) comparable to Korean Girl Group in the UK? Really? But hey, tickets are selling, no arguing with the market. Also the price structure, what an utter capitalist nightmare. Firstly I had to start the process of queuing to buy them before I even found out what the price was. Then discovered some kind of live supply and demand system was going on, every ticket sold pushes the price of the reaming just a little higher, bloody prices changing as you look at them. Time limited (minutes) deals etc. Every pressure selling trick in the book.
Is THIS normal too? What ever happened to just a fixed price and a queue? #definitelyold

Finally I'm fully aware I'm a weirdo and that the majority of Blinks will be teenagers. . . . I'm a middle class adult with earning "enough" and the price is making MY eyes water. Obviously the parents will be bearing the financial burden. As a father to a 1-year old, should I open the trust fund now in case he wants to go to a gig in 15 years?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 12:39

I think that the alarm bells would have been ringing as soon as Wembley Stadium was mentioned (and the inherent cost-recovery pressures needed for use of that venue).

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 14:08

Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 11:13
For the first time in many years I have been considering going to a gig.

Specifically this one.
Yes I am an approaching middle aged man that rather enjoys K-Pop, how dare you judge me!!
So when my favourite group announced it was going to take the nearly unprecedented step of playing in the UK (they usually do "World Tours" than encompass far east Asia only :roll:) and in my home city no less I was rather interested.
A number of surprises then ensued, the last one being the reason for inclusion in this thread.
- They announced the venue as Wembley Stadium. Rather large for what I considered my rather niche interest.
- The price for the first gig in the tour was announced. . . ~€160! Bloody Hell!
- Prices for the UK gig, £150 for crap seats, £300 for anything half decent £STUPID for anything good.

&@!~#@"! Hard pass.

Goddamn I'm old, is this normal these days? Back in my day a 3 day festival was cheaper than that.
I'm reliably informed that it is normal and that these are "Beyonce prices" which seems a little odd . . . Global megastar (who sings in English) comparable to Korean Girl Group in the UK? Really? But hey, tickets are selling, no arguing with the market. Also the price structure, what an utter capitalist nightmare. Firstly I had to start the process of queuing to buy them before I even found out what the price was. Then discovered some kind of live supply and demand system was going on, every ticket sold pushes the price of the reaming just a little higher, bloody prices changing as you look at them. Time limited (minutes) deals etc. Every pressure selling trick in the book.
Is THIS normal too? What ever happened to just a fixed price and a queue? #definitelyold

Finally I'm fully aware I'm a weirdo and that the majority of Blinks will be teenagers. . . . I'm a middle class adult with earning "enough" and the price is making MY eyes water. Obviously the parents will be bearing the financial burden. As a father to a 1-year old, should I open the trust fund now in case he wants to go to a gig in 15 years?
I saw Muse play Wembley Stadium back in 2009 and paid a princely £65 for decent seats. I haven't been to the stadium for a gig since then, but I usually bank on £40-50 for arena gigs. The 3-day festival I go to every summer costs me less than £100 usually (this year I splashed out on VIP tickets for £150 though), though I did Download a few years ago and that was more like £200.

So I guess what I'm saying is that seems rather exploitative to me, yes. Get your kid into rock/metal instead, our prices are still sane!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 5. Feb 19, 21:42

Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 5. Feb 19, 11:13
...Finally I'm fully aware I'm a weirdo and that the majority of Blinks will be teenagers. . . .
This is why I don't go to concerts anymore, even for bands I like. Another reason is "I'm just too tired for all that stuff." :) I can imagine that if I showed up to such a concert, I'd get some really weird looks and I'd probably be mistaken for a narc or some concert official or something. (That could turn out to be in my favor, though!) The last "concert" I went to was a symphony. Why? Well, I like Classical music, too. I was actually a bit surprised as not everyone there looked like they got shipped in from the old-folks home. It was nice to see some younger people and people my age, too.
I'm a middle class adult with earning "enough" and the price is making MY eyes water. Obviously the parents will be bearing the financial burden. As a father to a 1-year old, should I open the trust fund now in case he wants to go to a gig in 15 years?
There will be VR tickets, I'm sure, by then. They'll be a bit cheaper, but the VR system you'll have to use will have a mortgage attached to it... and it'll be hackable, so you'll have to deal with people hacking your VR just so they can insert "jump scares" in your environment for the lulz. :)

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 22. Feb 19, 11:23

****ING AMERICANS, WRITE YOUR ****ING DATES ****ING PROPERLY!!
GOOGLE!! STOP DEFAULTING TO THE STUPID AMERICAN SYSTEM NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I EXPLICITLY TELL YOU NOT TO!!!

IT'S DAY, MONTH, YEAR . . . . . YOU ****ING MORONS

And breath. . . . .
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 22. Feb 19, 12:29

Bishop149 wrote:
Fri, 22. Feb 19, 11:23
Actually, the most logical date format is year, month, day, because it puts the most significant part on the left just like we write any other number. :)

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 22. Feb 19, 12:56

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 22. Feb 19, 12:29
Actually, the most logical date format is year, month, day, because it puts the most significant part on the left just like we write any other number. :)
THAT DEPENDS A LITTLE ON THE APPLICATION BUT IS ALSO ACCEPTABLE!!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 03:13

Bishop149 wrote:
Fri, 22. Feb 19, 11:23
****ING AMERICANS, WRITE YOUR ****ING DATES ****ING PROPERLY!!
GOOGLE!! STOP DEFAULTING TO THE STUPID AMERICAN SYSTEM NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I EXPLICITLY TELL YOU NOT TO!!!

And breath. . . . .
Well, golly, the next thing ya know is you'll be running around using commas for decimal points!

WHAT IS THE WERLD COMING TO?

"Version 1,0" - WTF DOES THAT MEAN? Is it version "1" with a friend that never shows up? Is there one thing in the game you get, but you have to pay for the other one and you won't ever get it because they didn't really make it out of canvas and you ended up with a cheap piece of plastic crap? WTF? This is what the world would look like if Ubisoft bought Bethesda for goodness sake!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 18:13

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 22. Feb 19, 12:29
I've started to use this format where I can. My forum settings are set to use it, and all the dates I post on patch notes and the like use it too. It seems like the only sensible solution to the age-old problem of which format to use, and maybe if more people start to use it then it will quietly gain momentum.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 23. Feb 19, 19:31

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 23. Feb 19, 18:13
I've started to use this format where I can. My forum settings are set to use it, and all the dates I post on patch notes and the like use it too. It seems like the only sensible solution to the age-old problem of which format to use, and maybe if more people start to use it then it will quietly gain momentum.
Yeah, I've used it for a while, and I agree. It's clear, unambiguous, logical, and sorts lexicographically.

Indeed, you'd have to be an idiot to misunderstand it it!

(Skwawkbox is one of the new generation of "news" websites with strong political opinions and little inclination to let inconveniences like actual facts get in the way of a good story.)
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 14:43

I just went out to the supermarket. It is a sunny, mild, early Spring kind of day.

But that's no excuse to come out wearing shorts and flip-flops! It's still February you bellend! :evil: :evil:

There's something about seeing guys attired in this way that drives me up the frigging wall.

Aaaand relax..

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 24. Feb 19, 15:51

... I suppose that still beats the Mums doing their morning supermarket shopping in their dressing gowns and bedroom slippers ...

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 25. Feb 19, 11:57

berth wrote:
Sun, 24. Feb 19, 14:43
But that's no excuse to come out wearing shorts and flip-flops!
Better than pyjamas, which is what I saw several people in the supermarket wearing yesterday.

Return to “Off Topic English”