World soil day

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 23:42

But isn't soil always only as good as the plants you try to raise?
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 01:18

Cpt.Jericho wrote:But isn't soil always only as good as the plants you try to raise?
* Sees Captain Jericho making a terrible mistake*
* Hides from Phil's inevitable lecture . . .*

:D
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 01:22

Try raising Orchids in an unsuitable substrate.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 03:37

I planted some plant things a few times.

That was when I was married and I was expected to attend the family-bonding "working together in the yard" rituals once per weekend, every weekend in which the weather was suitable.

Because many of these plant things do best when planted in the appropriate season for them (I have no idea where the f they buy their calendars) these rituals continued through a goodly portion of the year. And, because I lived in a temperate region, there were many opportunities for plant things to be planted. Yay?

I am now divorced.

I do not plant any more plant things any more.

I feel somewhat liberated... It's a remarkable experience and I suggest that everyone try it.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 06:12

Cpt.Jericho wrote:Try raising Orchids in an unsuitable substrate.
Orchids are whores. They use rhyzobia to sap nutrients from another plant.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 16:42

philip_hughes wrote:
Orchids are whores. ...
This is gold.

I knew orchids had some of those properties, but I have never thought of them as "whores." It makes complete sense.

My local grocery store sells flowers, too, and often has a display of orchids set up. I can see myself pushing my cart past the display, stopping, pointing a finger at the seemingly innocent orchids and shouting "WHORES." When state-appointed psychiatrist asks, I'll be sure to direct them to your post...

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 18:37

philip_hughes wrote:
I thought they used fungi to help feed themselves rather than bacteria.
A flower?

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 21:46

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:
I thought they used fungi to help feed themselves rather than bacteria.
Good catch.

I used the wrong word. Its mychorizal fungi

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Mon, 25. Dec 17, 20:46

Morkonan wrote:"Soil is everywhere..." :)

Also, is calling soil "dirt" an insult? I get it - It's not exactly glamorous to call oneself a "Dirt Scientist." But, in the profession, if someone slips up and says "dirt", do you guys lynch them or just give them a quick slap or something? Maybe a temporary censure for their blasphemy?
Yes. Gardeners are very insulted by dirt. I haven't seen anybody get blue-in-the-face about it, but some of them will argue all day if they get the chance. Dirt is just dead minerals and has no nutritional value. If you plant something in dirt, it can't survive. Soil is alive and has a variety of things living on the nutrients in it.
This is only a virtual reality.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 25. Dec 17, 23:54

patient zero wrote:
Morkonan wrote:"Soil is everywhere..." :)

Also, is calling soil "dirt" an insult? I get it - It's not exactly glamorous to call oneself a "Dirt Scientist." But, in the profession, if someone slips up and says "dirt", do you guys lynch them or just give them a quick slap or something? Maybe a temporary censure for their blasphemy?
Yes. Gardeners are very insulted by dirt. I haven't seen anybody get blue-in-the-face about it, but some of them will argue all day if they get the chance. Dirt is just dead minerals and has no nutritional value. If you plant something in dirt, it can't survive. Soil is alive and has a variety of things living on the nutrients in it.
Yeah. Soil is what you grow plants in. Dirt is what you wipe of the bench.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 01:22

I think I have about 18 pots of orchid around my house. I think if I have about 30 pots I can actually rotate them on display through their dormant/bloom period.
philip_hughes wrote: Yeah. Soil is what you grow plants in. Dirt is what you wipe of the bench.
Well, but what is "dirt"? The word is used loosely enough, as in anything your mom gonna yell at your for "dirtying" her floor. (That's a word? Spellchecking not giving me an error). Could be anything from sand, dust, to garden soil.

I mean, I mix my own soil so I never thought much about the definition. You can always throw a bunch of "dirt" together, add some nutrient and have some kind of soil depending on the property you're looking for. :)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 02:13

Ah. That's easy. Soil has structure. Dirt is just a random collection of anything.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 21:45

philip_hughes wrote:Ah. That's easy. Soil has structure. Dirt is just a random collection of anything.
There's a reverence we have for "soil." Dirt is just "dirt." Dirt is to be brushed away, soil is to be revered.

There's a typical dramatic moment in a tale where a man kneels down and grabs a handful of soil. What does he do with it? It's not "dirt." At that moment, it has meaning for him, something that mere dirt could never have. It's home, it's a comfort, security for that man and generations to come - A guarantee of life if one is willing to work for it.

It's no wonder such a man would be insulted if someone called that "dirt."

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 02:30

philip_hughes wrote:Ah. That's easy. Soil has structure. Dirt is just a random collection of anything.
That means it can be argue Soil is just a type of dirt, depending on what those random things anything. :P

If you think about it, a mix of vermiculite, coir, and manure can be used to create soil, even from sand.
Morkonan wrote:
There's a typical dramatic moment in a tale where a man kneels down and grabs a handful of soil. What does he do with it? It's not "dirt." At that moment, it has meaning for him, something that mere dirt could never have. It's home, it's a comfort, security for that man and generations to come - A guarantee of life if one is willing to work for it.

It's no wonder such a man would be insulted if someone called that "dirt."
Growing up I was taught this story in school. @ men from a far away land visited a country, and was welcome with great hospitality. They were given many gifts, but before they step down to the boat to return, they were asked to remove their shoes, and had every little bit of dirt/soil remove before embark. When asked why, they were told the dirt/soil is the most valuable things for the motherland and thus they will not be allowed to be removed from the land, even by a grain.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 29. Dec 17, 13:40

No. Soil isn't a mixture of manure and minerals. It has structure.

Return to “Off Topic English”