Death announcements for persons of note

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 1. Jan 17, 19:50

How odd that I started watching MASH again today for the first time since it was initially broadcast in the UK (asked santa for the dvd box set).

I do recall always enjoying his character.

Some years back I made a fool of myself by saying that the first few seasons were filmed in black and white, only to be told I probably just had a black and white telly back then.

Fun times...
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Jan 17, 02:10

mrbadger wrote:...Some years back I made a fool of myself by saying that the first few seasons were filmed in black and white, only to be told I probably just had a black and white telly back then.

Fun times...
When I was a kid, I didn't know what "color t.v." was. We didn't have one. I did have a small 10" portable t.v. in my room. It, of course, had the required wad of tinfoil sitting on top of a coat-hanger antenna... If I pointed the antenna in the right direction, I could get channels from "The Big City." :)

I discovered color television shows when we went on vacation and there was a color t.v. in our hotel room. First shows I watched on that? "Star Trek" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea."

I suppose M.A.S.H. was the first "serious" television show that I was dedicated to watching that actually went further than "action." (I had been a fan of "Rat Patrol" and another WWII based show, but those didn't get very deep into the lives and thoughts of the characters.)

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Mario Soares

Post by Santi » Sat, 7. Jan 17, 19:22

Mario Soares, a staunch opponent of dictator Salazar in Portugal, and the first head of state elected democratically after the "Carnations Revolution" has died at the age of 92, a massive figure that helped shape today's Portugal. Created Portugal NHS, expanded public education and joined the European Union among many many other accomplishments. May he rest in peace.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-portug ... KKBN14R0JZ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38542535
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 18:26

Nothing in the news about it on BBC News App, or nothing on the front page at least, but the do mention a former Iran President who died. Why him and not someone so influential in Europe?

Probably because it didn't involve the Middle East, which the news services are all about these days, because that gets clicks.....
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 18:43

My obvious bias aside, he is possibly the only Modern Politician to stay true to the vision of Democracy. Also to not forget that its the only transition from a totalitarian state to full democracy without casualties (even though there were incidents and accidents later on).

The reason he is not "news worthy" is possibly that he was not too flashy of a person in the last few decades and kept mostly to internal discourse. And we all know that new dislike "normal people".

He did live a full life and made a mark in history, not many will be able to go out with half accomplished. RIP

MFG

Ketraar

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 8. Jan 17, 18:53

Mario Soares ... Finally a person of note .... not some tv / film star of little consequence other than the character he or she played.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 08:12

All areas of culture are as important as others, just because they are the arts does not make the likes of David Bowie less than Mario Soares.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 09:11

Just to balance the books .... Peter Sarstedt ...passed away after long illness suffering with "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy" ....did not know what that was, now I do.... Very unpleasant....

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Tue, 10. Jan 17, 23:34

Clare Hollingworth
British war correspondent who broke the news of the Nazi invasion of Poland, has died aged 105.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 11. Jan 17, 03:19

Terre wrote:Clare Hollingworth
British war correspondent who broke the news of the Nazi invasion of Poland, has died aged 105.
I remember hearing about her while watching a documentary of the early days of WWII. A hundred-and-five? Somehow, that doesn't surprise me a bit.

RIP, Clare, and thank you for your service.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Tue, 17. Jan 17, 04:06

Gene Cernan, last man to walk on the moon back in 1972 has died aged 82.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38641121

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 21. Jan 17, 05:28

Aw man.

Nobody lives forever, but I am sad that the era of history where moonwalkers live on Earth is drawing to its close.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 21. Jan 17, 10:08

Usenko wrote:Aw man.

Nobody lives forever, but I am sad that the era of history where moonwalkers live on Earth is drawing to its close.
I think this XKCD says it best:

https://xkcd.com/893/

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 21. Jan 17, 10:17

I bought this book a few years back, written by a man who decided he'd best interview everyone who walked on the moon because they'd be dying off, leaving stories untold.

Moondust: In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth (amazon link, sorry)

Very interesting. The only ommision is Armstrong, because he alone wanted money to be interviewed. Others held the interview because they wanted to, one even did it in his kitchen.

I found the book to be really interesting.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 21. Jan 17, 21:49

mrbadger wrote:... The only ommision is Armstrong, because he alone wanted money to be interviewed. ...
That's interesting. IIRC, he just doesn't do interviews, public appearances, etc, because they made him very uncomfortable and he didn't like being singled out or put in a spotlight. If he truly demanded money, then I would assume it was to discourage further inquiry or some such.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 22. Jan 17, 13:24

Armstrong DID at least answer a few email questions for him, which was pretty good for a reclusive guy. :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 22. Jan 17, 14:27

Morkonan wrote:
mrbadger wrote:... The only ommision is Armstrong, because he alone wanted money to be interviewed. ...
That's interesting. IIRC, he just doesn't do interviews, public appearances, etc, because they made him very uncomfortable and he didn't like being singled out or put in a spotlight. If he truly demanded money, then I would assume it was to discourage further inquiry or some such.
when you read the book it explains why he wanted to be paid. Essentially he was behind a publicity department that managed everything, and always required payment.

Had it just been him it might have been different, the interviews were as informal as they could be, but alas it wasn't.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 22. Jan 17, 22:00

Miguel Ferrer, most recently in NCIS: Los Angeles but who also played the slimy company executive in Robocop, has died:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... ar-AAm2sqv

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 23. Jan 17, 07:21

pjknibbs wrote:Miguel Ferrer, most recently in NCIS: Los Angeles but who also played the slimy company executive in Robocop, has died:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... ar-AAm2sqv
I don't watch NCIS and only remember a little about him in Robocop. But, the role I liked him best in was as "Lloyd" in the T.V. mini-series production of Stephen King's "The Stand." He did an awesome job. Obviously a man of talent, he'll be missed.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Mon, 23. Jan 17, 07:24

I liked him in NCIS LA, he was a nice counter to Hetty, it's an odd show that works, which is odd as I usually find that kind of show boring.

RIP
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Return to “Off Topic English”