What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 29. Aug 22, 15:52

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 29. Aug 22, 15:22
Also, it's finished, 6 seasons, all done. So no waiting around for additional seasons.
Well let me just disagree with you and hope we'll get more as soon as possible. :P

waiting around for more the expanse

MFG

Ketraar

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 29. Aug 22, 16:13

Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 29. Aug 22, 15:52
grapedog wrote:
Also, it's finished, 6 seasons, all done. So no waiting around for additional seasons.
Well let me just disagree with you and hope we'll get more as soon as possible. :P

waiting around for more the expanse

MFG

Ketraar
haha, that's fair, i'd love more. But I'm also happy with a fully finished show that wasn't wrapped up super quick and very poorly.

I think Amazon would be crazy not to dip it's fingers into that universe again though.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 29. Aug 22, 22:54

Finally finished re-watching Vikings on Prime. Had previously stalled at the beginning of the penultimate series (6, part 1) but was told that it got a lot better after that. Not remotely true, imho. :o :? :( Some great episodes earlier on but suffice it to say that any future re-watch will stop around season 3.

Sandman on Netflix - so far so good (up to ep5, I haven't read it).

House of the Dragon - also ok so far.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Aug 22, 10:07

Just on the Expanse, is it still true that Amazon etc are still not selling BD of seasons 4 onwards for Region 2 (such as the UK) but that the disks are locked to Region 1 (eg USA)? I would be keen here in the UK to complete my collection from after seasons 1-3 but I still see locked disk horror stories in the 1 star product reviews for seasons 4-6.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 2. Sep 22, 09:06

grapedog wrote:
Re-watching The Expanse now, So no waiting around for additional seasons.
The Expanse is good proper sci-fi , but it is finished (although there are rumours of more to come) unlike a lot of series that were cancelled in mid arc. It seems to me that most things I like get cancelled and the bobbins series go on and on......
Last edited by Redvers Ganderpoke on Mon, 26. Sep 22, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
A flower?

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 3. Sep 22, 03:25

Watched the firsr two episodes of Lord of the Rings, Rings of Power, on Amazon.

I enjoyed them very much. I think releasing the 2 episodes together was a good idea, just one does not have enough time to set everything up.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 3. Sep 22, 17:50

grapedog wrote:
Sat, 3. Sep 22, 03:25
Watched the firsr two episodes of Lord of the Rings, Rings of Power, on Amazon.

I enjoyed them very much. I think releasing the 2 episodes together was a good idea, just one does not have enough time to set everything up.

I've just watched the first one, with the second planned for sometime over the weekend too. - Yeah, thoroughly enjoyed it and I can see why it cost so much money.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 6. Sep 22, 11:55

grapedog wrote:
Sat, 3. Sep 22, 03:25
Watched the first two episodes of Lord of the Rings, Rings of Power, on Amazon.
I watched them at the weekend, it's OK and it does look expensive. What's going on with the accents though, the harfoots sound like they are either from Birmingham or
Ireland via the west country, it's not consistent across characters.
A flower?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 10. Sep 22, 03:38

Disney has a $1.99 disney celebration deal on currently.

Watched part of Star Trek Picard and it looks interesting from a mystery sense.

Probably going to watch Prey on Disney+. Apparently it's good. Rewatched the original Predator, Alien vs Predator and Predators recently.

Theres a new Casper Van Dien show on Sonys Crackle free with ads. Salvage Marines. Seems a bit like Starship Troopers. The ideas are ok but the story is a bit lack luster.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 17. Sep 22, 11:21

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 10. Sep 22, 03:38
Disney has a $1.99 disney celebration deal on currently.
Was just about to post this.
Already watched the last star wars movie (avoided seeing in cinema, and everyone said "don't bother..." - tend to agree). Watching Kenobi series (again, questionable), and will do the Mandalorian. I mean for £2 being able to watch a few series - may as well!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 19. Sep 22, 17:32

Star Wars Andor will start on Wednesday with 3 episodes - so far all the media coverage and footage suggest it might be good - more dark version of Rogue One.
Plus the cast seem to be good as well (Stellan Skarsgård, Forest Whitaker).

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 20. Sep 22, 12:24

Bullet Train (Cinema)

One of the best movies I have watched in a long time. In this action-comedy, Brad Pit plays the role of an unlucky depressed contract killer on a Japanese Shinkansen train. It is a real life Manga adaption. Lots of action and very funny - can recommend 😄

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 08:50

Watching Andor season 1. First two episodes were uninteresting but the third one is good so far. Season 1 is 12 episodes long and the last episode is on Nov 23,2022.

Only murders in the Building on Disney Plus Canada was kind of Ok. It had some good parts while other were kind of flat.

Re-watching Merlin (2008-2012). Has some good episodes in my opinion.

Farscape added free with ads to Roku channel Canada and in the US Roku Channel , Freevee, Pluto tv and Shout Factory.

Dark Matter was added free with ads to the CW in the US region.

Defiance is on The Roku Channel free with ads in the US.

Red Dwarf is free with ads on Crackle.

You can find stuff using the justwatch website set to your region. UK, Canada and US seem to have the most free stuff with Canada being the least.

Babylon 5 reboot still trying to gain traction.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/babyl ... r-AA125FAh

the decision to greenlight or cancel the pilot “may be decided end of this month,” and urged fans to let their voices be heard.

Reboot of Quantum Leap (NBC) was quite terrible in my opinion.

Quite a few things coming up. The Winchesters (on The CW Oct 11), Willow (Nov 30), Doom Patrol season 4 (December), National Treasure (Dec 14), Picard season 3 (Feb 2023), Madalorian season 3 (Feb 2023)
Last edited by burger1 on Sat, 24. Sep 22, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:24

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 08:50
Watching Andor season 1. First two episodes were uninteresting but the third one is good so far. Season 1 is 12 episodes long and the last episode is on Nov 23,2022.

Farscape added free with ads to Roku channel Canada and in the US Roku Channel , Freevee, Pluto tv and Shout Factory.

Dark Matter was added free with ads to the CW in the US region.
Haven't started Andor yet, I think I'm going to wait till it's all out, then I'll try it. Just finished the Book of Boba Fett and I thought it was pretty bad. Haven't watched Obi Wan series yet.

I love Farscape, and enjoyed Dark Matter quite a bit.

Both the new Jeffrey Dahmer series and Cyberpunk Edgerunner are on my radar, but I haven't sat down and watched them yet.

I'll probably watch Obi Wan next.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:22

When watching Andor, be aware that first 2 episodes are REALLY slow, which might not be a good thing for many people. The action (and really good one) pick up from Episode 3.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:31

I've just watched the first two episodes of Vampire Academy, a Peacock original, via Sky. - I'm surprised to say it's damned good, with great characters and a decent twist on the overworn YA vampire squee trope.

And I'm struggling to carry on watching House of the Dragon. It's simply feels like a cash grab now, with little in the way of a plot other than the faction development over the succession.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:11

Re House of the Dragon: If you read the book Fire & Blood by George RR Martin on which the series is based, it is just a fictional history prequel of the ill-fated House Targaryen dynasty that appears in Game of Thrones. Hence, almost by definition, the series is a pseudo family history dramatisation with added special effects. That *is* the plot.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

oldspacegamer

Post by oldspacegamer » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 23:01

I just watched Dark Star, one of my fave scifi movies of all time. If you've not seen it, please watch it!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 00:28

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:11
Re House of the Dragon: If you read the book Fire & Blood by George RR Martin on which the series is based, it is just a fictional history prequel of the ill-fated House Targaryen dynasty that appears in Game of Thrones. Hence, almost by definition, the series is a pseudo family history dramatisation with added special effects. That *is* the plot.
I'd not read the prequel, so I'd presupposed it'd be more of the same, which now I can see it isn't and was never supposed to be.

I might give the book a read, but I've already decided to abandon the series.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 14:59

As my wife keeps telling me I have a high threshold for "rubbish" TV programmes but I seem to have reached my limit with The Rings of Power. After all controversy about the casting I determined to give it a good go and just treat it as fantasy series. Unfortunately, it's a bit like "Discovery" in that I don't give two hoots about the characters. Whether this is down to the acting, the scripts or something else( perhaps even me). Even the special effects are wearing a bit thin (as is the music).
Tried Andor this weekend but had to give up as the sound mix was awful (we are in Wales for the week, so could be the holiday cottage's TV.) Will try again when we get home and a half decent sound system.
A flower?

Return to “Off Topic English”