What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

berth
x4

Re: What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Post by berth » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 01:25

Both Rings of Power and House of the Dragon, or whatever they're called, were ok imo. A lot of scene setting in both shows. Second seasons will be the proof of the pudding.

Netflix - Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosoties is an 8 part collection of standalone horror/weird tales. I've watched seven so far and five have been great, one has been good and one has been "hm, looks good, doesn't make much sense".
All quite Lovecraftian in one way or another. :boron: :skull: :paranid:

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 02:39

Are they scary?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 03:02

Watched All Quiet on the Western Front, a good film I watched the subbed version, so I can't comment on the dubbed versions, if you're looking for a good film to watch then I do recommend it, though if you don't like violence and death then it's not for you. It is interesting looking at WW1 from the German perspective for a change. I did wonder if it is just like that for the Russians right now, especially at the end, as the German soldiers just wanted to go home, like a lot of Russians do right now.
Last edited by felter on Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:04

AQOTWF: WW1 surely?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:13

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:04
Yes, it's based on a "classic" novel by Erich Maria Remarque. Worth watching imho although I liked the book more (kind of normal I think).

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:47

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 12. Nov 22, 19:04
Yep, you're right, a typo that I didn't notice. A quick edit to change that. :)

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 22:14

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 12. Nov 22, 02:39
Are they scary?
Generally creepy. I wouldn't say scary, apart from one in particular. But YMMV, as they say ;)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 22. Nov 22, 07:32

Hulu (US region only) has their annual $1.99 per month for a year deal. It's only available for the with ads plan.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 23:36

So I was looking for something to watch the other day there, and I ended up going with an old one, Person of Interest, I have it on disk, but I had never watched it since it had been on TV and I forgot just how good it actually is, I have been binge-watching it and highly recommend it if you haven't watched it before.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 05:55

Star Wars Andor (Disney+)
The series is completely released now.

The best rythm to watch is this:
3 episodes
3 episodes
4 episodes
2 episodes
as discussed earlier, it should have been 3-episode-arcs but it seems the middle one took one episode longer to my surprise.

It is a good series. Fans will probably like the later episodes, when the story starts to connect to the rest of Star Wars universe.

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 09:54

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 25. Nov 22, 05:55
The best rythm to watch is this:
3 episodes
3 episodes
4 episodes
2 episodes
as discussed earlier, it should have been 3-episode-arcs but it seems the middle one took one episode longer to my surprise.
This totally!
Disney really shot itself in the foot not releasing it in arc package.
Now they did most stupid thing and put for free only the first 2 episodes (which really doesn't present Andor from best possible angle) in various networks.

Andor is totally great if you like world building, good acting and writing.
However, Andor will not be good for you, if you like some action - Andor is very slow, but this is done consciously by writers (and is done skillfully, not due to lack of skill) - there are only 3-4 episodes where the real action is happening.

If you just like pew pew pew and goofy stuff (like Baby Yoda eating stuff for 600th time), Andor is totally not for you as it's more grim and down to earth.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 10:26

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 25. Nov 22, 09:54
down to earth.
What is this earth you speak off, is it in the outer rim? :mrgreen:

But yes great series Andor is. Watch it you must, if fan of good writing you are. Actors also really enhance the writing with very nuanced performances and everything is wrapped in great sets and costume design. Best world building of any Star Wars content ever and on par with other great shows.

I would even go as far as to say that Andor feels more like "proper" Scifi, in line with things like The Expanse, then normy Star Wars which leans much more towards Scifantasy.

MFG

Ketraar

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 14:18

Watched the season final last night. Made me want to watch Star Wars again :-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 14:53

I liked prison arc finale better, but season 1 finale definetly made me look forward to Season 2.

Aparently they started filming it in November and estimated release date is 2024, probably Atumn like season 1.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 00:30

I've watched the first two episodes of Wednesday, and it's pretty good! For the first 5 minutes, I thought 'this is gonna get old real quick' thinking the protagonist (Wednesday) had very little scope due to the nature of her character. - Thing is, she makes the series, it being as much about her evolution as the storyline. - I believe there's only eight episodes currently out, but my sister told me she managed to bingewatch them in one sitting!
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 18:49

Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 26. Nov 22, 00:30
I've watched the first two episodes of Wednesday, and it's pretty good!
Resubscribed to Netflix on their cheap plan(720 only) and noticed a couple of new things, one was Resident Evil and one was Wednesday. I'd recommend Wednesday (although it has aHogwarts vibe at time), but Resident Evil isn't very good, the films are just action nonsense, but the TV series tried to add acting and a script and neither of them are any good.
A flower?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 21:11

I'd added Resident Evil to my watchlist, admittedly most of which I never get around to watching, but I'll remove it now; thank you, Redvers.

I'll be watching Warrior Nun series 2 after Wednesday. - First series might burn too slowly for most people's taste, but it does gain a head of steam four or five episodes in, as I remember.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 21:36

I've checked Warrior Nun trailer and my impresion is like:
Holywood superheroes, Netflix Life action meme and Catholic Church had an orgy, full of regret and cringe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 22:06

I was pretty hesitant with it, and I came close to abandoning after the second episode, but it was worth the investment, for me. It's very much a medium budget series, and not for everyone, but the fact Netflix did choose to renew it for a second season does stand in it's favour. The protags' narration is a big positive for me, but would be a dealbreaker for others.

And I'm just debating whether to continue with The Peripheral, having watched just the one episode. At the minute, my slow bingewatch of Grimm, together with Wednesday, take precedence.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 27. Nov 22, 05:00

Started "1899" on Netflix. At episode 2 right now but if it keeps that momentum, this show is going to be fire. Kind of surprised noone here has mentioned this one yet.

Best watched in "English" btw..
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Sat, 26. Nov 22, 18:49
and one was Wednesday. I'd recommend Wednesday (although it has aHogwarts vibe at time)
So I wasn't the only one thinking it partially felt like they borrowed a lot of Hogwarts vibes. I.e. Enid Sunclair is just Luna Lovegood but different.
I have no idea about the Adam's family though, so maybe it was the other way around or whatever.. in the end it turned out, to my surprise, to be a really enjoyable series and that is what counts.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”