Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 12:43

Playing F.E.A.R. In about two hours of game play there's been about one scary moment. It's been in my steam library for at least a couple years. Not a challenging shooter but it has ok atmosphere so far.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 13:04

Odd, I found the first F.E.A.R. game to be pretty darned tense--nowhere near Shalebridge Cradle levels, but then, what is? Second game forgot about the tension and had you fighting giant armoured mech suits instead, which wasn't an improvement IMHO.

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 14:02

I downloaded Realms Of The Haunting (ROTH) cheap off GOG. I do have the original but that one was a fiddle trying to get it to work with later versions of Windows. This works fine. An excellent game even if the graphics are a bit dated but it is twenty years old. A much better game than Undying.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 16:11

I gave Portal a whirl last night after having it since Valve gave it away a few years back. I'm not that impressed - It's just a puzzle game, albeit a pretty 3D one. I wonder how many people sing its praises so highly because they solved the simplistic puzzles and it made them feel clever?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 16:28

As far as I can remember most people praised its sense of humour and its innovative (at the time) use of portals and physics in the puzzles, rather than anything to do with the complexity of the puzzles themselves. But hey, perhaps looking down on other people for enjoying the game makes you feel clever. :P

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 17:08

Did you play through portal? Because i thought the same at first and stopped playing. I just tzhought i had to solve just more difficult puzzles after all. After people told me to contiune i got to the good bits.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 17:48

Golden_Gonads wrote:I gave Portal a whirl last night after having it since Valve gave it away a few years back. I'm not that impressed - It's just a puzzle game, albeit a pretty 3D one. I wonder how many people sing its praises so highly because they solved the simplistic puzzles and it made them feel clever?
So.....would you say the promised cake was a lie?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 18:00

CBJ wrote:As far as I can remember most people praised its sense of humour and its innovative (at the time) use of portals and physics in the puzzles, rather than anything to do with the complexity of the puzzles themselves. But hey, perhaps looking down on other people for enjoying the game makes you feel clever. :P
I assure you, I don't feel clever. But then I never like Half-Life 2 either, so maybe it's something subtle to do with the engine.
linolafett wrote:Did you play through portal? Because i thought the same at first and stopped playing. I just tzhought i had to solve just more difficult puzzles after all. After people told me to contiune i got to the good bits.
I got to level 19 last night - Where you receive the 'proper' companion cube before quitting. I'll carry on, but I'm highly underwhelmed thus far.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 18:04

you should focus more on GLaDOS hints and comments, not on the Puzzles themselves ;)
GLaDOS wrote:The Enrichment Centre promises to always provide a safe testing environment. In dangerous testing environments the Enrichment Centre promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 18:53

Have to agree with pjknibbs regarding FEAR ,,, when it first came out I thought the combat was pretty good .... Always wondered at the time what effect would the Type 7 Particle Weapon have on squad members,,, A genuine psychological warfare weapon.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 10. Nov 16, 18:58

birdtable wrote:Have to agree with pjknibbs regarding FEAR ,,, when it first came out I thought the combat was pretty good .... Always wondered at the time what effect would the Type 7 Particle Weapon have on squad members,,, A genuine psychological warfare weapon.
The combats getting much harder. I actually went from wasting health packs to running out of them. I still don't like the bullet time mechanic but I might have to use it.

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Mon, 14. Nov 16, 09:11

Golden_Gonads wrote:I got to level 19 last night - Where you receive the 'proper' companion cube before quitting. I'll carry on, but I'm highly underwhelmed thus far.
I think it doesn't start to be the game properly until you stop playing levels... And that the finishing credits/song is fabulous.

Portal 2 takes it a little further too. But if you finish Portal without enjoying it, then it's probably not different enough to be worth your time.

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Mon, 14. Nov 16, 09:50

Rug wrote:
Golden_Gonads wrote:I got to level 19 last night - Where you receive the 'proper' companion cube before quitting. I'll carry on, but I'm highly underwhelmed thus far.
I think it doesn't start to be the game properly until you stop playing levels... And that the finishing credits/song is fabulous.

Portal 2 takes it a little further too. But if you finish Portal without enjoying it, then it's probably not different enough to be worth your time.

Rug
I thought the game was the most fun in the second playthough, where you notice all the stuff you didn't on the first time round.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 14. Nov 16, 10:25

Avis wrote:FINALLY got round to installing STALKER Clear Sky, I've had it sitting unloved in my steam library for eons, time to play it before I splurge on even more games I won't play for several years.
You'll want to use one of the global mods that fixes a number of issues and uplifts the graphics. Do yourself a favor and don't try to rush through Clear Sky the journey is much better than the ending.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 14. Nov 16, 11:12

Rug wrote: I think it doesn't start to be the game properly until you stop playing levels... And that the finishing credits/song is fabulous.
It turns out I was on level 17, not 19, but even so... It did get to be a touch more entertaining for the final section, but not sufficiently to warrant a second playthrough or picking up Portal 2. And yes, the song during the credits was good fun.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Video Not Safe for Work

Post by Santi » Sun, 20. Nov 16, 03:16

Video Not Safe for Work.

I thought Goat Simulator was silly and totally resisted the impulse to buy it to check why it was so popular (went viral), lets see what happens to this one, already seen in facebook.

Genital Jousting, early access game on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHba2ntTisc

*Edit, better wording.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Video Not Safe for Work

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 20. Nov 16, 10:53

Santi wrote:Video Not Safe for Work.

I thought Goat Simulator was silly and totally resisted the impulse to buy it to check why it was so popular (went viral), lets see what happens to this one, already seen in facebook.

Genital Jousting, early access game on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHba2ntTisc

*Edit, better wording.
The first time the youtube video protection did something good for me (the video is not played for me, unless I log in to confirm my age). With that video description I'm happy to not have seen it. The comments about the game/video are worth a read though.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 2. Feb 17, 22:18

For some reason, despite my grumbling and moaning about Portal, for some strange reason I picked up Portal 2 during the Christmas sale (Alright, not so strange - It was about £2), and I can definitely see the appeal in that game. Whilst I found the humour and puzzles and general 'game' lacking in the first title, the second has more than enough of each - Despite being pretty much the same, but more. It was good fun, but I definitely wouldn't have paid anywhere near full price for it.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Fri, 3. Feb 17, 13:14

Got Witcher 3 for Christmas and was hooked for several weeks (2nd n+ playthrough) and just started W1 and downloaded W2 just for the story. It's fun ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 5. Feb 17, 10:29

Dishonored and Dishonored2

- a MOST excellent game.. 8)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Return to “Off Topic English”