Playing other games

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: Playing other games

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 14. May 20, 22:57

Warning: following reply contain spoiler for ME3, if you want to save the surprise for playing the game itself, please don't read it.

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 14. May 20, 21:34
Spoiler
Show
The Collectors are an irrelevant sideshow. They're minions of the Reapers who happen to be trying to build a Reaper in the absence of their true masters, and the fact the Reapers invade anyway at the beginning of the third game shows just how irrelevant they were in the grand scheme of things. We should have been spending ME2 trying to find out how to defeat the Reapers, not dealing with their manservants. Incidentally, we already knew the motive and method of the Reapers from the first game, the Prothean VI you find near the end of the game explains it all in great detail.
First, the collector weren't acting randomly. They are acting under direct order of Harbinger, which possess command of individual collector like we saw in ME2. In ME3 we see Harbinger himself in Reaper form, and he's 'the' leader of the Reaper. It sets the tone that for this cycle, human has become an object of interest to the Reaper (more on this later).

Secondly, someone have to investigate why Human colony in particular are disappearing. Yes, eventually the collector became a side show but that is in hindsight, we don't know that from the beginning. At the beginning of ME2 we're basically on a fact finding mission, to hopefully learn something more about the reapers. I think the difference between what we know at the end of ME1 and ME2 are massive. I think at the end of ME1 the sense of scale is not quite there yet, yes they're coming, but when? Yes reaper are powerful, but how many of them are there? Yes they're wiping out organic, but why? (this may not be relevant to stopping them, but important in term of exposition for the player). To make a comparison: ME1 is like watching a report of 400 deaths a day on the news, while ME2 is more like seeing convoy of trucks loaded with coffin. They're coming right now, and they are a whole fleet of them!

This explains a few things that lead to ME3:

- Shepperd detonated the Omega relay to buy time, basically commit genocide of the 300k of the entire Bitanrian race. At the beggining of ME3 when Sheppard expressed the frustration Alliance command doesn't listen to him, Anderson corrected him: "look Sheppard, you basically committed a genocide and you don't even get court martial, do you think command would try to protect you like this if they don't believe you?". Admiral Heckett expressed the same sentiment in the last communication with Sheppard in ME2 as well.
- Samething for Garrus: he used what he learnt in the ME2 and go back to Turrian command, managed to get some token of support and he used that to harden the Turrian defense line. When you meet him again in ME3, he told you this and said: "hopefully those preparation make a difference at the end". So ME2 are meaningful in prepare the galaxy in what to come, how little it is given the scale of thing.

The point is, without the journey of ME2, Shepard wouldn't have enough resolves to pull the trigger at the Omega Relay to not only buy precious time, but preventing the invasion from dropping right on top of the current races, Garrus wouldn't put away his pride to go back and beg his father, and he specifically mentioned by bring back what they learnt with him. Despite they knew the truth from Vigil, the fact that Shepard were still begruggingly hunt Geth at the beginning of ME2, and Garrus just ran away playing hero in the middle of nowhere kinda prove they didn't quite appreciate the Reaper threat yet. Also the data from the collector base helped convince the leaderships of the threat, as ME3 point out.

Third, coming back to the first point. It's revealed in ME3 (I think), that the role of the Reaper is not simply wipe out current organic to protect the next cycle, but also in a twisted way, preserve the trait and legacy of the current cycle as well - even as their goal is to kill everyone. The reaper themselves were made in the image of one of the first master race of the universe - Leviathan. Knowing this hindsight make the action of the collector in ME2 more understandable, if things goes as plan for the Reaper this cycle, than the galaxy of the next cycle would face some human shape reapers like we did at the end of ME2.

We're working for Cerberus, who were a two-bit terrorist organisation in the first game yet now have the capability of building a ship which is bigger and better than the best the Alliance could produce, not to mention being capable of raising the dead, and we're never given a choice about that. The entire crew of the Normandy from the first game also jumped ship and decided to join Cerberus as well, apparently for the lulz.
Just because the first game doesn't mention Cerberus as much would make them a 2-bit terrorist, plus I think it's more of a gameplay/presentation problem of ME1. ME3 connected Cerberus action as a whole through out 3 games very well. More importantly, Cerberus is more than just a coincident of an organization, they are more likely a construct or pattern from previous cycle that serve as one of the catalyst for Reaper's work.

Also I disagree the crew of the old Normandy just joint for the lolz, they each provide solid reason/condition for joining, at least I find the explanation satisfied me enough. Also entire crew is a big of stretch, there were only not even a handful:

- Joker: flying is everything to him, a sarcastic guy like him obviously hold very little respect for stuck up command. Most importantly though, Joker carries a certain guilt (he revealed this at the end of ME3) that he blame himself for the the reason Sheppard died at the beginning of ME2 (refuse to abandon the old Normandy and made Sheppard late to get to the escape pot trying to rescue him).
- Tali: she didn't join you and outright shot you down when you first ran into her. She only joins the 2nd time when her mission is completed.
- Garrus: you just got his arse out of the fire, given the circumstance you ran into him it actually would be weird if he doesn't join you.
- Chalkwalk (the Dr in sickbay): she's the one with the weakest reason to join Shepard. I pass her as it seems she and Shepard are closed friend and want to look out for him, and the old lady seem to enjoy the thrill. I believe she is the 'only' alliance personel that joint.

The rest of the squads are new members who mostly joint under quid-pro-quo conditions. And the Normandy II are maned entirely by Cerberus staffs.

- Kaden/Ashley: provide the exact contrast of why a soldier loyal to the alliance would refuse to jump ship.
Liara, a main character from the first game and someone you'd think would be quite helpful in the quest to find out more info about the Reapers given her Prothean knowledge, either doesn't appear in the game at all or, if you have the Shadow Broker DLC, has turned from a meek archaeologist to become the most secretive information broker in the galaxy. Because that's an entirely logical progression given her character.
You're correct about this point, and I think most people agree Liara's shift is too extreme to be believable. They tone this down a bit in ME3 though, strong but still sweet rather the almost psycotic rage version we see in ME2.
The first one just happens to put you on a planet that Tali is also investigating, because God forbid anything happen by other than sheer coincidence or good luck.
It's a valid point, but it's also too typical in narrative, especially in space opera for me to hold it against the game specifically. Like starwars back ground is build upon thousand if not million planets, yet for some reason every single major events only keep happening only on a few same planets ;)

The ones in the middle are entirely forgettable and I can't even remember what happens in them. I'm sure I don't need to explain why the "All the heroes aboard the Normandy II get into a shuttle and fly off somewhere while the Collectors attack the ship" mission is plain nonsense?
Yes, that part is rather stupid, just something to force the story alone. Feel like they just want to rush it there.
Last edited by Mightysword on Fri, 15. May 20, 06:47, edited 2 times in total.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 14. May 20, 23:40

Great, motion sickness from Far Cry (just bought the damned game... :| )
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Fri, 15. May 20, 02:47

A word about the Metro series. I can't comment on later games but I finished 2033 Redux a few times, and my impression with that game is that it's rough. The story is ok, I liked the atmopshere a lot (make sure to manually change the FOV), but the combat was not smooth. I'm guessing it's the engine.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 15. May 20, 06:18

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 14. May 20, 23:40
Motion sickness while playing FPS is something I can't understand myself, as I also suffer from it. I'm generally fine with Third Person Shooter, but half of the FPS games I played give me motion sickness. The weirdest part for me is back then I can play counterstrike for hours and hours just fine, but playing Haft-life for an hour straight could make me sick enough to wanting vomit, and those two games are more or less the same thing!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 15. May 20, 07:35

Regarding Mass Effect: I don't think either of us is going to convince the other, and the thread is getting derailed, so I'll leave it there.

Regarding nausea: I don't get it myself, but I've heard that changing the field of view setting (assuming the game gives you the option for that) can help, is that something you can try?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 15. May 20, 11:57

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 15. May 20, 07:35

Regarding nausea: I don't get it myself, but I've heard that changing the field of view setting (assuming the game gives you the option for that) can help, is that something you can try?
I suffer from chronic vertigo, a physical thing, and certain games just 'remind me...' - Half Life 2 was the same, and it usually means cross the game off the list, but I'd probably be okay playing it on a TV as long as I was a distance away. - Thing is, I'm fine with a game like X4, but the worst one I ever came across was Mount & Blade.

Using the mouse rather than a controller does seem to exacerbate it, but some older games just don't seem to like modern controllers.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 15. May 20, 14:24

I think that's why changing the FOV might help, because it'll give you the impression of being nearer or further away from the action without having to move your monitor? I honestly don't remember if the original Far Cry has an FOV setting, though.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 15. May 20, 14:56

Ah, yes, I guess certain distances / FOV cause resonance, which is probably why there's no rhyme nor reason behind which games are okay, and which trigger me. - Just loaded Far Cry, and no FOV options, unfortunately. :(

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Tue, 19. May 20, 16:50

When I'm not in the mood for X4 and I want to relax a bit, I'm going with Forza Horizon 4 (and looking for fellow drivers to do some co-op every now and then). Totally different genre.
On a more "strategic" kind of game, I love Europa Universalis and that kind of projects.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 23. May 20, 07:24

At the moment playing " Journey of Life " which is as near to being Robinson Crusoe on a tropical island as I have found yet.... still in early access but very relaxing to play and only a few bugs which are well know and being sorted.... about 10 to 12 credits of most currencies.
Since is is not a well publicised game I have included a small you tube series to give an idea of location and gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOvjKMB ... 83aPtNSClM

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 26. May 20, 02:32

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 15. May 20, 14:56
Ah, yes, I guess certain distances / FOV cause resonance, which is probably why there's no rhyme nor reason behind which games are okay, and which trigger me. - Just loaded Far Cry, and no FOV options, unfortunately. :(
Most game engines allow you to set it, it's just not all developers make it part of the UI. You can try to look up which engine the game based on, then look up the name of the .ini file for that engine and then what is the variable name to control FOV setting. Then you can change it ... most likely.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 05:02

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 14. May 20, 23:40
Haven't tried the game recently but I am guessing it's 4:3 ratio. If you have a nvidia card you can do Nvidia control panel/Adjust Desktop Size and Composition and select aspect ratio, perform scaling on gpu and click the box that says override the scaling mode set by games and programs. This lets you play 4:3 without stretching them to 16:9 or w/e aspect ratio. If that was making you ill.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 4. Jun 20, 21:17

I am getting worse at games. I just tried playing Yakuza Zero and got as far as the first boss. He kicked my butt several times, at which point the game did one of those "Awww, you're clearly a helpless dwid, would you like to try this again on easy?" things--which I accepted, second time of asking. And he beat me again. If I can't even get past the first boss I don't think the game's going to go well for me, so I uninstalled it. (Oh, and the karaoke minigame is absolutely ridiculous--I don't know how on earth you can do well on that without having four hands and probably an extra brain as well).

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 4. Jun 20, 21:54

So there is going to be a new version of Trackmania from Ubisoft. Here's the interesting part it is going to be free which will have some limitations like you will not be able to use the track editor. But for $10 per year you can get greater access like the track editor and some other things. Then there is the $30 per year or $60 for 3 years, which gets you full access to everything the game has to offer. Sound like a subscription model, well according to Ubisoft it isn't a subscription model in their words it's a:
“Actually it’s not a subscription model but an access to the game for a limited time. You pay for having access to the game for one period and that’s it. When the time is over, you have to buy the game again for the time that you want to access it again.”
I shed you not, that was an official announcement from one of Ubisofts community managers on the Maniaplanet forums. they also released a gameplay video the other week there, I think it was for the new assassins creed game but what they were calling a gameplay video had absolutely no gameplay in it at all in the video, but they said hey it's a gameplay video.

They talk about EA, well that's Ubisoft for you, it's not what it is, it's what they say it is.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 4. Jun 20, 23:12

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 4. Jun 20, 21:17
I am getting worse at games. I just tried playing Yakuza Zero and got as far as the first boss. He kicked my butt several times, at which point the game did one of those "Awww, you're clearly a helpless dwid, would you like to try this again on easy?" things--which I accepted, second time of asking. And he beat me again. If I can't even get past the first boss I don't think the game's going to go well for me, so I uninstalled it. (Oh, and the karaoke minigame is absolutely ridiculous--I don't know how on earth you can do well on that without having four hands and probably an extra brain as well).
I haven't played zero but it could be just a first boss thing, kinda like the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox back then (the first boss was the hardest boss of the game). Overall though, I find Japanese fighting games tend to be built with the arcade standard (which is pretty much an extincted platform in the west) rather the console standard, so they're a tag harder. Also watching Japanese/Korean playing rhyme games at the arcade is a good way to convince yourself some gamers are a special breed of human ;)

Are you using a controller or using M&B? If it's the latter it may explain your struggle.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 5. Jun 20, 07:49

I was using a controller--I'm not one of those PC gamers who turns my nose up at them because "hurr hurr console peasant". In fact, I consider one of the big advantages of the PC platform that you *can* choose to use whatever controller works best for the game you're playing.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 12. Jun 20, 02:04

well if it makes you feel any less bad. Finally decided to buy the Split expansion and give x4 another go. And damn I'm rusty, ran into a group of 3 Ms in my fully decked out eclipse, magnificently died without killing even one M, feel bad man. :shock:

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 09:31

A lot of Stellaris dlcs from my wishlist are for sale: any suggestion on what I can't miss / is worth buying?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 12:11

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 09:31
A lot of Stellaris dlcs from my wishlist are for sale: any suggestion on what I can't miss / is worth buying?
Apocalypse and Utopia definitely, and I also quite like Ancient Relics for all the archaeology sites, but not sure if that's a commonly held opinion.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 11:03

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 09:31
I personally enjoy Federations but I have no clue if that is on sale as well.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Return to “Off Topic English”