Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 03:17

fiksal:
It's new of reactions and moods of the white house. I suppose I cant tell you why this is "news". This is certainly not interesting news, as I'd rather hear the accuser and what's that all about.
You have to admit Trump's behavoir was out of character. I think the Speaker of the House finally got though to him that half the electorate are female... Or just watch his mouth till after the elections or we'll revisit the 25th Amendment. Whatever the reason it's a welcome relief. Bet he's back to his old self sooner than McConnell would like.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 03:44

Hank001 wrote:
On topic, this isn't getting much attention from other outlets, but National Public Radio (NPR) as it put out on the air and posted this:

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/20/64978707 ... ve-no-idea
I don't think the objective of sitting on this woman's story for months and quietly prepping to reveal her was to present a credible accusation. It was meant to derail the hearings and taint Kavanaugh. It doesn't have to stand up to scrutiny to do that.
Who made that man a gunner?

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 03:52

Masterbagger:
I don't think the objective of sitting on this woman's story for months and quietly prepping to reveal her was to present a credible accusation. It was meant to derail the hearings and taint Kavanaugh. It doesn't have to stand up to scrutiny to do that.
You know, I'm going to have to agree with here. Her NPR interview gave me the impression she slipped a bit and went off script. That's why I posted the link as soon as NPR posted the story. It's not making the Dems look good, that's for sure. High School for crying out loud?
MIND THE GAP

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 04:47

Also unless there's a clear crime that can be shown, it's super pointless. (But correct me if I missed something important)

Republicans will confirm him regardless of his behavior. He can be most morally bankrupt guy you have seen, or a terrible judge and it would not matter one bit. We know it, everyone knows it.

Hank001 wrote:fiksal:
It's new of reactions and moods of the white house. I suppose I cant tell you why this is "news". This is certainly not interesting news, as I'd rather hear the accuser and what's that all about.
You have to admit Trump's behavoir was out of character. I think the Speaker of the House finally got though to him that half the electorate are female... Or just watch his mouth till after the elections or we'll revisit the 25th Amendment. Whatever the reason it's a welcome relief. Bet he's back to his old self sooner than McConnell would like.
Yep, he was out of his normal despicable character. It's still an eye rolling moment.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 18:13

Looks like the trade war with China is heating up. Walmart, Target and other retail stores are warning of impact on Christmas sales. Those companies have long been criticized for stocking their shelves with Chinese products.

Walmart is complaining that they have to buy bicycles (one example) from China, because there aren't enough of them being produced in the U.S. Good! Now perhaps we will start to see domestic re-industrialization. Opportunities for American manufacturing.

I don't see how this can end well for China. They have the most to lose economically. All they have to do, is roll back their global dominance, start playing fair and stop stealing our technology.
Should the tariffs go into effect, Walmart customers will face cost increases for essential items like car seats, cribs, backpacks, hats, pet products and bicycles,'' the retailer said. And there will be a domino effect. "Either consumers will pay more, suppliers will receive less, retail margins will be lower, or consumers will buy fewer products or forego purchases altogether
Nothing wrong with consumers stepping off the relentless consumer treadmill and buying less products. Perhaps people will start demanding quality products that last longer when they open their wallets.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 19:06

Observe wrote:Looks like the trade war with China is heating up. Walmart, Target and other retail stores are warning of impact on Christmas sales. Those companies have long been criticized for stocking their shelves with Chinese products.

Walmart is complaining that they have to buy bicycles (one example) from China, because there aren't enough of them being produced in the U.S. Good! Now perhaps we will start to see domestic re-industrialization. Opportunities for American manufacturing.

I don't see how this can end well for China. They have the most to lose economically. All they have to do, is roll back their global dominance, start playing fair and stop stealing our technology.
Should the tariffs go into effect, Walmart customers will face cost increases for essential items like car seats, cribs, backpacks, hats, pet products and bicycles,'' the retailer said. And there will be a domino effect. "Either consumers will pay more, suppliers will receive less, retail margins will be lower, or consumers will buy fewer products or forego purchases altogether
Nothing wrong with consumers stepping off the relentless consumer treadmill and buying less products. Perhaps people will start demanding quality products that last longer when they open their wallets.
The biggest difference is the Chinese government backs their people, whereas America relies on the public sector to do so. The Chinese government is willing to spend a lot of money on their people to protect them, we are talking about billions here. The American government doesn't have the money to do this, and even if they did they would not be willing to do so.

The reason why there is only a limited amount of bikes made in the US is pure and simply they cannot make them cheap enough for the American market, and what with the current tariff on steel and aluminium, they are struggling to make the ones that they are currently making. No one is going to put money into making bicycles in the US, as there is not a market for them due to the high price, this means that bicycles will just not get made and wont be for sale, pushing the price up on even cheap bikes. Besides it would probably take a year or two just to open up a factory to make them, costing millions of dollars to do so, not going to happen. If it was china the government there would step in and push it through, paying for most of it, America cannot compete with this.

So who is going to pay the higher price, I'll tell you who it is not going to be and that is China. In a trade war my money is on China my main reason for backing them, they are still trading with the rest of the world, while America is not trading with anyone any more. China still has money coming in and goods going out, America does not. China is still making a lot more money than America does and is willing to spend it, America doesn't. The money in America belongs to 2% of it's population, in China most of it belongs to their government. But America has one thing, they can still dream.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 19:23

I wondered how long Trump would keep quiet about this. Wan't long.
@realDonaldTrump
I have no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents. I ask that she bring those filings forward so that we can learn date, time, and place!
Speaker of the House:
“Keep the faith. Don’t get rattled by all of this. We’re gonna plow right through it and do our job,” Mr. McConnell said at the Values Voter Summit. “In the very near future, Judge Kavanaugh will be on the United States Supreme Court.”
On Tuesday:
@realDonaldTrump
The Supreme Court is one of the main reasons I got elected President. I hope Republican Voters, and others, are watching, and studying, the Democrats Playbook.
And I'm sure the Dems are remembering how the Republicans blocked Obama from nominating a justice too...
MIND THE GAP

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 19:44

felter wrote: The reason why there is only a limited amount of bikes made in the US is pure and simply they cannot make them cheap enough for the American market.
That's the whole point of tariffs - to level the playing field and encourage domestic production. So people will pay more for bikes. So what? It just means bikes will reflect the real cost of making them as it should.
felter wrote:No one is going to put money into making bicycles in the US, as there is not a market for them due to the high price, this means that bicycles will just not get made and wont be for sale, pushing the price up on even cheap bikes.
The demand for bikes is increasing. Many cities and business are encouraging workers to bike instead of drive for a variety of reasons. The U.S. has been seeing a surge in the bicycle market for some time now.
felter wrote:Besides it would probably take a year or two just to open up a factory to make them, costing millions of dollars to do so, not going to happen.
Entrepreneurial hard work and innovation will take care of that. True, it'll take some time, but better start now than later or never.
felter wrote:China still has money coming in and goods going out, America does not. China is still making a lot more money than America does and is willing to spend it, America doesn't.
The United States still has the largest economy in the world bar none.
Hank001 wrote:And I'm sure the Dems are remembering how the Republicans blocked Obama from nominating a justice too...
I still don't see how they got away with that one.
Last edited by Observe on Fri, 21. Sep 18, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 21:03

Observe you live in a totally fantasy world'

for example:
That's the whole point of tariffs - to level the playing field and encourage domestic production. So people will pay more for bikes. So what? It just means bikes will reflect the real cost of making them as it should.
Tariffs have never worked like that and never will. The true cost has nothing to do with it, the problem is the problem is in China life is cheap to live, in America it's expensive. In China wages are still pretty reasonably low though not as low as they used to be but low compared to America. Americans want $25-30 dollars an hour, Chinese $5-10. So here's the problem, is the American population now willing to work for those $5-10 dollars an hour, doubt it. Are families that are working for those low wages willing to work 3 jobs to make ends meet willing. Are the poorest Americans willing and are they able to now spend $450-500 dollars for a bike, that used to cost $75-100 can they even afford it. Tariffs do not lower the playing field they exaggerate it they make living so expensive that no one apart from the richest van live a decent life. The outcome is normally the closure of production and manufacturing not the creation of production and manufacturing.
The demand for bikes is increasing. Many cities and business are encouraging workers to bike instead of drive for a variety of reasons. The U.S. has been seeing a surge in the bicycle market for some time now.
Here in the UK it's the same but let you point you to a little story from 2015 and now a story from today. They are still shutting down because people are not willing to over spend on an expensive Chris Hoy bike because they can't afford it and they just get stolen.
Entrepreneurial hard work and innovation will take care of that. True, it'll take some time, but better start now than later or never.
Will never happen, as it is just too expensive as I have shown these places will go bust in a matter of years maybe even months, as it is just to darn expensive to pay to the current level of wages demanded in America. While the average American family cannot afford to pay the high cost for a bike. entrepreneurs want to make money not a loss.
The United States still has the largest economy in the world bar none.
Have you even looked at what the Chinese government is doing, how much money they spend on their country, how much they are spending on infrastructure. For example, just take the new Silk Road, that's a $900 billion dollars project that is what you are trying to compete against, and that is just one single project. Is the American government going to spend that sort of money on it's country, would they be willing to build a new road and rail system from Canada to Mexico, without private money, could they even do so. Economy is one thing, but when the money is going into private hands it cannot be used to protect that country, the Majority of the money in China goes to the government, who can spend it where they want or need to, America cannot compete against this. Also if the American economy is so great as it is, then what is the problem, why are you so worried about China. Remember your current government just gave a tax break to the rich which is adding more than $900 billion to their deficit where it has been shown China is spending that money on the country. You cannot compete current economy or not.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 21:23

felter wrote:Observe you live in a totally fantasy world'
Let me be the first to agree with you there. :D

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 22:03

I would like to make few points about China.
China needs to keep developing their economy and lifting people out of poverty for two main reasons.

One is to avoid social unrest, that is the priority number one for the Chinese government and what worries them the most. A Chinese "spring" will be catastrophic and a bloodbath of epic proportions, and will challenge the unity of the country too.

Second is the demographic bomb they have thanks to the "one child policy", in 30 years time, a lot of the country resources will have to be dedicated to care for the retired and the elderly, and will have to do so with a much reduced workforce.

So they have a lot to lose if their economic growth is hampered. Also they really need the "Made in China 2025" economic plan to succeed, no only to trade in international high tech markets (like America does) in the future, but to protect their own industries from outside competition. Western countries issues with China is that plan, as they are nicking intellectual property right, left and center to catch up with the rest of the world, while not allowing foreign companies to operate in China.

All the talk about things becoming more expensive and American people not being able to afford them is nonsense. "Walmart customers will face cost increases for essential items like car seats, cribs, backpacks, hats, pet products and bicycles, the retailer said." Sure very essential items, like hats or backpacks, hey car seats too!. Just think, what are essential items for the majority of people in China?

What the retailer really is saying is that now they will face competition when selling stuff that is Chinese made, because USA products will have a fair playing field.

Oh and Trump just went to 11 and no doubt will go over that if necessary. U.S. sanctions China for buying Russian fighter jets, missiles.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 23. Sep 18, 19:29

So wait, more expensive stuff for Walmart customers. Was the US producing sufficient quantities to keep up with demand, or have the suddenly stepped up production to cover, and it's US products people are now paying for - hence more expensive?

Or is it still Chinese products with a tariff added on top...

Anyone been along to your local bike stores to check the origin of the bikes on sale? (they may be from other parts of the world instead, or they're still Chinese I'd wager :D )

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 23. Sep 18, 21:07

Chips wrote:Was the US producing sufficient quantities to keep up with demand, or have the suddenly stepped up production to cover, and it's US products people are now paying for - hence more expensive? Or is it still Chinese products with a tariff added on top...
The majority of bicycles in the world are made in China. There are some U.S. manufactures, but those are mostly custom high-end and expensive. It will take years for domestic production to catch up. Walmart and others, will continue selling Chinese products at a higher cost. There is no way around that in the short-term. In the long-run, 'made in America' will once again be commonplace in America and 'made in China' will become less so. That is how it should be.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 02:37

It is not going to be happening in the short term, for example most USA companies have already bought what they need for this year to lock in prices before tariffs come into effect. Same for USA soy and pork exports to China that have already been sold.

Of course companies will look for alternatives for the coming year, so that may affect Chinese trade, the really sticky point for USA or those that had move production to China, is that they have invested a huge amount on money to create a supply chain in China, and now that may bite them in the back as tariffs come into effect and Chinese products are not that competitive.

All this massive factories in China with the latest in robotics and automation processes, are in part the product of Western investment and technology in partnership, because they are not allowed to operate on their own, with Chinese companies.

Of course there are options, Chinese goods can downgrade their quality as to be cheaper, the State can subsidised them, Walmart could take the hit and operate on a lower margin (fat chance), dividends can be lowered (fat chance again) or the consumer can be charged more.

But China is not the only country doing stuff, it is just cheaper, if they lose that edge, someone else will took part of their market share. Lets remember that in Trump eyes a big part of the problem is the trade deficit with China, if that is reduced simply because it has shifted to other countries, he will call it a win too.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 17:26

BBC just flashed the Rob Rosenstein Deputy Attorney General is headed to the White House to offer his resignation.
(Another one bites the dust) Though with all that stuff about offering to wear a wire and envoking the 25th amendment and all his exit was pretty much a given.

On another front another woman is revealing dirt on Bret Kavenaugh, this time a college expose' (intentional pun there) Search for the news on your favored propaganda choice for your preferred spin.
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 19:29

So if Rosenstein goes, can Trump appoint who he wants to kibosh Muller?
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 19:44

@ RegisterMe:
Sequence of events:
Chief of Staff Kelly meets with Rosenstein. Calls Trump in NY. Sets meet with Trump for Thursday which just happens to be the day the Kavenaugh hearings reconvene. (Wow there's a coincidence...NOT)
Since EVERYBODY got word of the meet that put the media's eyes on Rosenstien. (Telling the media: Keep you're eye on Rosenstein people, not Kavenaugh) Ploy took CNN about 15 minutes to parse along with timing of the meet at the White House with Trump.

Well the White House is getting a bit more media savvy, but in this case the media didn't like being played. Probably blow off Rosenstein as a tool and concentrate on Kavenaugh even harder on Thursday.
MIND THE GAP

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 21:56

I think Kavenaugh should withdraw at this point. I was in support of him as a conservative judge as I've stated before. However, these sexual allegations make me reverse my opinion.

Sure, boys will be boys and all that. I was once a young man and I've done things I'm not proud of. I've had too much to sensibly drink and drug, but never did I try to tear off the clothes of someone, or try to physically force anyone into submission out of sexual lust.

Is it too much to ask that a member of our highest court, be someone of impeccable integrity; regardless of political or philosophical leanings? I think not. I want judges who are above reasonable reproach.

Yes, it may be possible that these allegations against Kavenaugh are false, but I have a nagging 'feeling' that there is some truth to the stories. As such, I say Kavenaugh should withdraw. I am sure there are others, who can pass the necessary scrutiny unscathed.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 22:04

I think it is a reasonable requirement, Observe

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 22:10

Observe wrote:I think Kavenaugh should withdraw at this point. I was in support of him as a conservative judge as I've stated before. However, these sexual allegations make me reverse my opinion.

Sure, boys will be boys and all that. I was once a young man and I've done things I'm not proud of. I've had too much to sensibly drink and drug, but never did I try to tear off the clothes of someone, or try to physically force anyone into submission out of sexual lust.

Is it too much to ask that a member of our highest court, be someone of impeccable integrity; regardless of political or philosophical leanings? I think not. I want judges who are above reasonable reproach.

Yes, it may be possible that these allegations against Kavenaugh are false, but I have a nagging 'feeling' that there is some truth to the stories. As such, I say Kavenaugh should withdraw. I am sure there are others, who can pass the necessary scrutiny unscathed.
I'm in two minds about this, ignoring Trump,

on one hand, the allegations could be false, and if Kavenaugh does withdraw, and the allegations do turn out to be false, then any kind of allegation could be used as a weapon to destroy someone's career regardless if its true or false. But by that time, the damage would have been done, his name would be in disgrace.

But then again, look at the string of powerful people who have resigned because of similar allegations, both in the UK, certainly the US and more.

Still, if the allegations do turn out to be true, then his name should be disgraced, he should resign, and crawl under a dark rock somewhere.

But we are in a different era now, people's voices are starting to get heard. people are starting to have the courage to speak out. And if there was wrong doing, then it needs to be out in the open.

But still, what is some of the allegations are just, for the hell of it? making a fuss, using the allegations to destroy someone when nothing happened? Its a slippery slope. if they turn out to be true, then fine, but if they are false, then that too needs to be stopped, and the career of that person should be unaffected.

I think more evidence needs to happen or heard before one jumps to any conclusions, otherwise one whiff of an allegation will be enough destroy someone.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”