Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Re: Trump

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 12:02

Antifa, an "organisation" so real that a white nationalist group resorted to faking a Twitter account for them:-

https://www.axios.com/twitter-suspends- ... 191c3.html
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 13:41

I can't breathe.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 14:56

Are we now just going to post links to other social media without any sort of discussion?

I'm asking because we had this in the past and then either it was thought to be of any real benefit to a discussion. I recon people have access to these social media sites if they want to.

MFG

Ketraar

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 15:25

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/0 ... sia-294335

Looks like Trump isn't going to be allowed to have his best buddy over for a slumber party. And he was so looking forward to staying up late and sharing their favorite moments on how they've gotten away with subverting democracy and brutalized peasants. So sad for him.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 15:31

Ketraar wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 14:56
Are we now just going to post links to other social media without any sort of discussion?

I'm asking because we had this in the past and then either it was thought to be of any real benefit to a discussion. I recon people have access to these social media sites if they want to.

MFG

Ketraar
Ketraar, if you're wearing your mod hat with that comment / question, then please feel free to remove both this post and the two posts above I made that included links in them.

If it was a "non-mod" question, then in my defense I'd say:-

Post 1 re the "fake" Antifa Twitter account:- It's relevant, sourced, and valid. If people want to read more about it they can follow the link. If they don't they can ignore it. I could have provided a more verbose precis of the link than I did, but why, when the article explains it better than I could? And its importance is self-explanatory, no?

Post 2 re the President's walk to Saint John's Church. Much as with other humour, if you have to explain it, the joke is lost. Why ruin it for people?

Lastly in general, yes, I agree, we all have access to social media etc. But that is not the same as seeing all relevant content on such sites. I don't see the harm in bringing things to peoples' attention that they otherwise might miss.
I can't breathe.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 15:48

I don't think Ketraar had his mod hat on. What has been requested officially though is that posters do not just post links without at least also saying what they are about and a bit of personal opinion about their content. Otherwise the bare links described as 'Cool' etc, could just be click-bait or spam (or worse) as far as other users could know.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 16:08

Whoever came up with that Trump church stunt was a complete idiot so I suspect it was a trump idea. All he has done is alienate so many people and a lot of those people were his supporters. The BBC has done a story on it and I suspect other main stream news outlets are doing the same but I don't think the message they are conveying is the message that the Trump clan was thinking would happen. Even the religious community is up in arms over it a mainstay of his support.

I'm also surprised no one is mentioning that he keeps threatening to bring in the army and what that means. He is talking about martial law, he wants to use the military to quell the population of America and silence them over something he doesn't actually care about. He actually probably thinks those police officers are really nice people, that they were only doing what they had to do.

Has anyone noticed something else, that most of the trouble is being caused by the police and it always seems to be mainly lighter coloured skinned people too, but yet when you see people being arrested it is nearly always people with darker skin.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 16:52

felter wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 16:08
Whoever came up with that Trump church stunt was a complete idiot so I suspect it was a trump idea. All he has done is alienate so many people and a lot of those people were his supporters. The BBC has done a story on it and I suspect other main stream news outlets are doing the same but I don't think the message they are conveying is the message that the Trump clan was thinking would happen. Even the religious community is up in arms over it a mainstay of his support.

I'm also surprised no one is mentioning that he keeps threatening to bring in the army and what that means. He is talking about martial law, he wants to use the military to quell the population of America and silence them over something he doesn't actually care about. He actually probably thinks those police officers are really nice people, that they were only doing what they had to do.

Has anyone noticed something else, that most of the trouble is being caused by the police and it always seems to be mainly lighter coloured skinned people too, but yet when you see people being arrested it is nearly always people with darker skin.
Yes, the Trump church walk stunt has made the news and was nothing short of asinine. It was pure shameless self promotion, not to mention absurdly brutal to the protesters gathered outside the white house that were shot, beaten, and gassed to make way for his little waddle.

I've made mention of dear leader's desire to use the military multiple times. It has also not gone unnoticed by national news.

This is nothing more than an excuse for Trump to attempt to order the deaths of people that oppose him, but he's only going to do that in a way that will allow him to avoid responsibility for it. He's never going to order the military in over the governors lack of consent. Remember not so long ago when he was caught on camera saying a whistle blower was a spy and "we used to handle it a little differently than we do now"? This is his wet dream. It's got nothing to do with protests against racism and police brutality for him. His every tweet, every comment, is to point out how democrats are evil and he's ready to send in the troops to deal with it.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 17:18

It's the religious leaders who are now upset with him, a lot of them have supported him in the past and that church stunt has just alienated him from them, especially him holding up the bible as what is happening has nothing to do with religion and that's his so called supporters that are saying this.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 20:15

This passed a few reposts and I found it interesting.

“Friends, I am ok, but I am, frankly shaken. I was at St. John's, Lafayette Square most of the afternoon, with fellow clergy and laypeople - and clergy from some other denominations too. We were passing out water and snacks, and helping the patio area at St. John's, Lafayette square to be a place of respite and peace. All was well - with a few little tense moments - until about 6:15 or so. By then, I had connected with the Black Lives Matter medic team, which was headed by an EMT. Those people were AMAZING. They had been on the patio all day, and thankfully had not had to use much of the eyewash they had made. Around 6:15 or 6:30, the police started really pushing protestors off of H Street (the street between the church and Lafayette Park, and ultimately, the White House. They started using tear gas and folks were running at us for eyewashes or water or wet paper towels. At this point, Julia, one of our seminarians for next year (who is a trauma nurse) and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt. The police in their riot gear were literally walking onto the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with these metal shields, pushing people off the patio and driving them back. People were running at us as the police advanced toward us from the other side of the patio. We had to try to pick up what we could. The BLM medic folks were obviously well practiced. They picked up boxes and ran. I was so stunned I only got a few water bottles and my spray bottle of eyewash. We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear. We were pushed back 20 feet, and then eventually - with SO MANY concussion grenades - back to K street. By the time I got back to my car, around 7, I was getting texts from people saying that Trump was outside of St. John's, Lafayette Square. I literally COULD NOT believe it. WE WERE DRIVEN OFF OF THE PATIO AT ST. JOHN'S - a place of peace and respite and medical care throughout the day - SO THAT MAN COULD HAVE A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH!!! PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE! HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!
I am deeply shaken. I did not see any protestors throw anything until the tear gas and concussion grenades started, and then it was mostly water bottles. I am shaken, not so much by the taste of tear gas and the bit of a cough I still have, but by the fact that that show of force was for a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today. A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks. But that man turned it into a BATTLE GROUND first, and a cheap political stunt second. I am DEEPLY OFFENDED on behalf of every protestor, every Christian, the people of St. John's, Lafayette square, every decent person there, and the BLM medics who stayed with just a single box of supplies and a backpack, even when I got too scared and had to leave. I am ok. But I am now a force to be reckoned with.”
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 22:44

and the part 2 apparently, the story is developing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoy ... al-police/
federal officials, including at the White House, raised the idea with District of Columbia officials of taking over the local police department, according to Mayor Muriel Bowser’s chief of staff.
Bowser’s chief of staff, John Falcicchio told the Post that D.C. officials objected, and said they would mount a legal challenge if federal officials made an attempt to do so.

The District of Columbia is governed by its own mayor and city council, but federal law gives the president the ability to take over local police in emergency situations.
Earlier on Tuesday, House Oversight Committee Chair Gerald Connolly, D-Va., requested documents from the Secret Service about their presence at Trump’s church visit, and whether they directed the use of tear gas and rubber bullets against peaceful protesters.
The Post, in a separate Tuesday report, said Attorney General Bill Barr personally asked for protesters to be cleared from the area around the church before Trump gave his Rose Garden address.
D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser told CNN that she and district officials “were very shocked, and quite frankly outraged, that people who were not violating the curfew and who did not seem to have provoked attack were attacked and moved out by federal law enforcement officials to clear the way for the president.”

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:01

Oh that's cute. I wonder how he would react to being shot at for being in someone's way? God forbid the tables were ever turned for him.
rebellionpac.com

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:35

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Tue, 2. Jun 20, 23:01
Oh that's cute. I wonder how he would react to being shot at for being in someone's way? God forbid the tables were ever turned for him.
Russian revolution has started with the Tsar executing peaceful protesters.

part 3 on the other side of the country:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/st ... t-n1222476
The state of Minnesota launched a sweeping civil rights probe into the Minneapolis Police Department on Tuesday, a week after an officer allegedly killed a black man during an arrest, officials said.

The probe, stemming from the death of George Floyd, will be designed to root out "systemic racism that is generations deep," Gov. Tim Walz told reporters.

"The Minnesota of Department of Human Rights is filing a commissioner's charge of discrimination and launch a civil right investigation against the Minneapolis Police Department," Walz said.

"The investigation will review MPD's policies, procedures and practices over the last 10 years to determine if the department has utilized systemic discriminatory practices towards people of color."

The Minneapolis City Council said it would assist.

"We welcome and fully support the Minnesota Department of Human Rights’ robust investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department," according to a council statement.

"We urge the state to use its full weight to hold the Minneapolis Police Department accountable for any and all abuses of power and harms to our community and stand ready to aid in this process as full partners."

The city lawmakers said their efforts to oversee its police department have "been historically constrained by the City Charter and state law" so they "welcome new tools to pursue transformational, structural changes."

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 06:05

I've been watching some of the primary election results, the most interesting to me being Iowa's 4th congressional district republican primary. Randy Feenstra whooped up on 9 term good ol' boy Steve King with a whopping nearly 10 point victory. Steve King will not be missed.
rebellionpac.com

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 06:29

oh yeah? King is gone?

--bigots;

As we'd write.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 07:45

fiksal wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 06:29
oh yeah? King is gone?

--bigots;

As we'd write.
indeed he is, well, will be come January. He's not going to be on the ballot in November unless he tries to run as an independent, but he'll have little to no support and would only end up hurting the GOP's chance at holding onto that seat at best. So he basically just got a 6 month notice that he's fired.

In the mean time, he'll stay in congress but still stripped of all of the committees and only allowed to participate in general assembly votes.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 09:22

I only read news in newspapers, tv channels and social media and it looks to me a really bad escalation, recently. Unprecedented. But I am "across the pond" (did I get it well?), so I cannot really feel how things are. From what I read on the protests and Trump / the government words and reactions, I am worried but cannot get how close to a civil war is the country. A civil war during a pandemic is a very risky stunt just to avoid elections, Donald...

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 09:40

BrasatoAlBarolo wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 09:22
I only read news in newspapers, tv channels and social media and it looks to me a really bad escalation, recently. Unprecedented. But I am "across the pond" (did I get it well?), so I cannot really feel how things are. From what I read on the protests and Trump / the government words and reactions, I am worried but cannot get how close to a civil war is the country. A civil war during a pandemic is a very risky stunt just to avoid elections, Donald...
civil war is unlikely. While there are some anti-government sentiments taking part in the protests, those involved don't represent or have any claim to any governing body that reasonably have any authority that could attempt succession from the US, much less access to resources or equipment that would be needed to engage in a war.

While some of the protests have definitely gotten out of hand, most of them have been peaceful. This isn't a rebellion or an attempt to overthrow the government. It's a call to end injustices that have been visited upon minorities for centuries that was triggered by the murder of yet another black man at the hands of a white police officer.

They have a very valid reason to protest. Of course, Donald Trump won't listen. Those aren't his voters protesting. But they are taking the spot light off him and he wont stand for that.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 09:58

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 3. Jun 20, 09:40
[...]Those aren't his voters protesting. But they are taking the spot light off him and he wont stand for that.
That's what worries me the most, seeing how crazy looks with his words and his actions. He doesn't want order, he wants submission.

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Wed, 3. Jun 20, 11:15

Nooo you can riot and destroy the white businesses who have been stealing from us for decades but DON'T HARM ANIMALS :evil: as a black man I sincerely do NOT condone this behaviour!

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/12 ... 0389053440

Return to “Off Topic English”