Anime/Manga Review

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 22. May 14, 20:46

Freya, I gotta thank you. Space Battleship Yamato was brilliant - loved watching it!
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 22:22

Time to rez this one because I just finished a big one...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Where to start and where to finish...

Short version:

Just watch it and stick with it, you won't regret it.

Long version:

As the US comics have superheroes, the Japanese comics have Magical girls.

Adolescent and pre adolescent girls who vanquish evil with magic, the power of love, friendship and cuteness.

It's weird, it's ridiculous, it's popular but most of all; if it wasn't a thing in Japan then this magnificent deconstruction of the genre wouldn't have happened.

It starts slow and with ridiculously predictable tropes but that's there to set up one of the greatest mindwarping twists and tearjerkers around.

The show made me do something that I rarely do these days...

It made me cry...

Now there is the show and there are the movies.

They are both the same story and the third movie is a continuation from where the series stopped.

The movies are somewhat more condensed but they are not cutting anything crucial and the mind games are still there.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 7. Jul 14, 22:38

Dragoongfa wrote:The movies are somewhat more condensed but they are not cutting anything crucial and the mind games are still there.
not really condensed imo - Hajimari no monogatari and Eien no monogatari each run for about 2 hours -> almost 4 hours as whole, the Series as whole is about 5 Hours long, if you substract 5 minutes for OP, ED and Preview/Review per Episode it is almost the same length ;) although i recommend at least 3 Watches - first original TV Version, then Bluray Version and as last the Movies, because with each re-watch you will recognize details you didnt notice before and first odd actions of the Characters (especially Homura) now make more sense or have a complete diffrent motive than you first thought. Additionally the Visuals get better because Studio Shaft is known for Polishing their Bluray-Release compared to the TV Version, and with the Theatrical Version they set two on top of that :D
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 8. Jul 14, 00:04

I've watched a couple more since my posts.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Really enjoyed it with good focus on inter-character relationships but a little disappointed with how little combat there was for a mecha-anime. Also the original ending is an absolute WTF, apparently the studio ran out of money for it and just had to do it all as some kind of slide show. The ending was re-done in the form of a movie closer to what the rest of the show was like but it was still very, very weird.
- Some shocking moments, some controversial moments (there's constant flirting between characters with sexual comments made despite them being in their early teens).
- I'd give it a good 7/10 "worth a watch".

Ghost In The Shell
- Found it a little difficult to get into at the beginning but after sticking with it I really started to enjoy it. There are these robotic things called Tachikomas and they are quite funny but some conversations they have which seemed to be the shows way of describing things to the audience were really heavy and not easy to understand.
- Plenty of action, lots of fighting. I have yet to see the very last episode but it looks to have a great ending.
- 8/10 "better than most"
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Tue, 8. Jul 14, 00:19

Not sure if we've covered Attack on Titan yet
I just scooped up the dubbed version, only a few bits weren't as good as the Japanese audio but it was well done[/url]

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Tue, 8. Jul 14, 06:42

Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Really enjoyed it with good focus on inter-character relationships but a little disappointed with how little combat there was for a mecha-anime. Also the original ending is an absolute WTF, apparently the studio ran out of money for it and just had to do it all as some kind of slide show. The ending was re-done in the form of a movie closer to what the rest of the show was like but it was still very, very weird.
- Some shocking moments, some controversial moments (there's constant flirting between characters with sexual comments made despite them being in their early teens).
- I'd give it a good 7/10 "worth a watch".
N.G.E.

Rarely have opinions been so... divided about an anime.

I personally consider it a failed deconstruction of the Mecha genre.

It had so much potential but the characters and certain Japanese tropes just murdered that potential.

First of all, the adolescent characters are not acting like adolescents, with the possible exception of the stereotypical Tsundere of the group, Asuka.

I am still young enough to remember how I was when I and the kids around were 14 years old.

We didn't cry (that much), we didn't hesitate and we certainly knew what our privates were all about.

We would charge in all stupid like until the situation blew at our faces and we got ourselves in a tight spot and be saved by someone far more experienced and competent than us.

Sinji is one of the handful of characters who I wanted to just inject him full of testosterone and watch the fireworks from a safe distance. I hate the phrase 'Act like a man' but that's the only way to describe this non existing character who is just led by a lease. He earned the top place of my fictional characters I want to see die a horrible death with high honors.

And let's not get started on the adults...

Let me put it like this:

Any group of reasonable adults which knows that the only superweapon that is capable of defeating the big bad can only be piloted by 14 year olds would do the following:

1st: They would Provide extensive paramilitary training to that group of 14 year olds from a very young age.
2nd: They would never let any of those 14 year olds out of reach and would certainly not allow them in a normal school.
3rd: They would do rudimentary background and psychological tests on all personnel, especially the ones who are running the show.
4th: Any military that expects imminent combat would have a sizeable response team stand ready to be deployed within a minute's notice.
5th: And FFS they would support those big mecha things with some tanks and airplanes. They wouldn't damage the Angels but they would distract them.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 8. Jul 14, 15:33

Freya Nocturne wrote:Not sure if we've covered Attack on Titan yet
I just scooped up the dubbed version, only a few bits weren't as good as the Japanese audio but it was well done[/url]
I remember making a hole off-topic thread after watching the first 5 or so episodes because I was so hyped. :D (Maybe it might have been after the series was finished, I am not so sure anymore.) :shock:
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 00:20

1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 08:44

jack775544 wrote:With regards to NGE
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/boar ... 083833.png
This one is better:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... Evangelion

While this one sums perfectly the reason why I hate Sinji:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... al-Genesis

And lets not forget what Sinji did at the ending movie.

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 10:12

Dragoongfa wrote:And lets not forget what Sinji did at the ending movie.
Not die?

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 10:14

Freya Nocturne wrote:
Dragoongfa wrote:And lets not forget what Sinji did at the ending movie.
Not die?
That too!!! :)

Spoiler
Show
But I was referring to sexually molesting a comatose girl.

Which was the first and only thing that he ever did for himself with his own initiative.

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 10:37

Well, to be honest, Asuka sure meets the requirements. She was pretty, and comatose.
Frankly Shinji is the single most useless excuse for a human male EVER. Bunking with Misato and having an army of Rei clones? And he didn't even CONSIDER sexual acts? He's 15, hormones are a thing! Or did Anno forget that part?

diabolos099
x3ap

Post by diabolos099 » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 11:51

atm i am watching attack on titan which is pretty good.

also though they were already released years ago i watched "Death Note", "Code: Geass" aka "Leloush of the Rebellion" and "Claymore" (which was one of my favs but i have to say it has also one of the most annoying characters in the history of anime but if you get over this whiny dude the rest is darn good :P). dont know why they arent mentioned in this thread...probably everyone knows them already :D...but if you dont: check them out :)

claymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBERUgx6ChQ
death note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJZtOrm-WPk
code geass(couldnt find a japanese trailer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQGo6X7kFo

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 13:01

Almost finished watching the first series of Fairy Tail, I really like this anime. I'm always surprised how the writing doesn't seem to have decayed much even after 170 episodes. I thoroughly recommend it if you have the time for 180 episodes haha. Its taken me a month.
Last edited by InFlamesForEver on Wed, 9. Jul 14, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 13:07

Just noticed that the Starship troopers - Invasion (CGI) movie is missing from your list, worth watching if you have never seen it.
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 14:26

InFlamesForEver wrote:Almost finished watching the first series of Fairy Tail, I really like this anime. I'm always surprised how the writing doesn't seem to have decayed much even after 170 episodes. I thoroughly recommend it if you have the time for 180 episodes haha. Its taken me a month.
Fixed the heresy :P

Ahh Fairy Tail...

One of the handful of anime I watched for its pure escapism;
The setting would also be ideal for a deconstruction of several anime exclusive tropes but I am getting too far ahead of myself.

It's main problem is the (almost excessive) fanservice but considering the level that it has reached in other mainstream anime/manga it's the only one left that its honest with itself on that regard (I am looking at you One Piece); also it's not afraid to provide said fanservice to both sexes, something that I find satirical considering the audience.

From a story telling perceptive I have to tip my hat on Mashima's imagination but I believe that he should allow a couple of more writers in the creative process, he has missed some pretty obvious avenues that would have greatly enhanced the story.

Other than that, the second series has just started but the animation is subpar from what I have seen.

Now for the others mentions:

Claymore:

A great medieval fantasy anime that is mostly down to earth. I recommend it as well.

It's a petty that they didn't follow the manga but it was obvious that they wouldn't get a second season.

Death Note:

This one is one of the modern legends of Japanese animation.

Although I have some issues with it I have to say this:

I would have fallen to the same trap as the protagonist.

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 14:44

Words shouldn't have two spelling yet stay the same sound.

Ahh fan service, I really don't understand the need for it. I mean its animated... Although some of it is just plain old hilarious.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 15:02

InFlamesForEver wrote:Words shouldn't have two spelling yet stay the same sound.
How about words that are also written the same but have a different meaning?

"A bear protests about not having the right to bear arms, leaving itself bare against those who bring guns to bear."
Ahh fan service, I really don't understand the need for it. I mean its animated... Although some of it is just plain old hilarious.
It's a Japanese thing as far as I can see, western audiences get it somewhat because sexual innuendos have always been a staple on our comedies but the Japanese take it to an extreme due to what I believe to be widespread sexual repression in society.

Make sure to steer clear from Ecchi or Harem anime/manga; fanservice is the sole reason they exist.
Last edited by Dragoongfa on Wed, 9. Jul 14, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 17:18

Dragoongfa wrote:
InFlamesForEver wrote:Words shouldn't have two spelling yet stay the same sound.

"A bear protests about not having the right to bear arms, living itself bare against those who bring guns to bear."
That's just unbearable :P Couldn't resist.
In Flames We Trust

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 9. Jul 14, 18:00

InFlamesForEver wrote:Almost finished watching the first series of Fairy Tail, I really like this anime. I'm always surprised how the writing doesn't seem to have decayed much even after 170 episodes. I thoroughly recommend it if you have the time for 180 episodes haha. Its taken me a month.
I feel like it is getting better and better if you ask. Altough it is really one of this animes you just watch like you would watch something like Scrubs. Than again it has some moments that really stand out over the rest of the show. (And I am not talking about the Fanservice only OVA.)

Btw if you like Fairy Tail, I recommend you give this a read. It is a Fanfic written by our very own Dragoongfa. I am not sure if he is ok with making advertisment for him, but I enjoyed it.
InFlamesForEver wrote: Ahh fan service, I really don't understand the need for it. I mean its animated... Although some of it is just plain old hilarious.
Well Fanservice is sutch a thing. I don't mind it, but sometimes it reaches a ridiculous level (after we where talking about Fairy Tail before). :lol:

InFlamesForEver wrote:
Dragoongfa wrote:

"A bear protests about not having the right to bear arms, living itself bare against those who bring guns to bear."
That's just unbearable :P Couldn't resist.
That was pretty good. :D

Or while we are at it. Words that mean one thing in language A but something different in language B. For exarmple "handy" beeing the german word for mobile, but when I once asked a english man if he could give me a "handy" he looked at me with disgust and walked away.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Return to “Off Topic English”