Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 4. May 23, 10:53

felter wrote:
Thu, 4. May 23, 00:37
So it's believed they have found the reason for Carlson's sacking, turns out it was a racist text he sent that FOX bosses didn't get to see until the night before their agreement in the defamation lawsuit due to the text message being redacted, makes you wonder what the rest of the redacted text messages he sent say. Anyway, if you haven't seen it:
“It was three against one, at least,” Carlson wrote to the unidentified producer. “Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it.” Soon after, “an alarm went off” in his brain, Carlson added, telling his producer he realized he was “becoming something” he didn’t “want to be.”
If you don't get it, that's 3 white trump supporters jumping a black protester and beating the crap out of him, and Carlson was watching it on a video.
Skeptic. Not that I don't believe him sending such message I just don't believe Fox News would have reacted to it.
This is a guy promoting constantly stuff like Great Replacement conspiracy on his show without anyone on Fox News lifting a finger. That is a variation of a 140 year old conspiracy theory that appeals only to certain type of people....

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 4. May 23, 14:22

another shooting in US by a responsible gun owner, an obligatory gift to the American God of death

1 woman dead, four other injured

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/04/us/atlan ... index.html
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 4. May 23, 15:13

Warenwolf wrote:
Thu, 4. May 23, 10:53
felter wrote:
So it's believed they have found the reason for Carlson's sacking, turns out it was a racist text he sent that FOX bosses didn't get to see until the night before their agreement in the defamation lawsuit due to the text message being redacted, makes you wonder what the rest of the redacted text messages he sent say. Anyway, if you haven't seen it:
“It was three against one, at least,” Carlson wrote to the unidentified producer. “Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it.” Soon after, “an alarm went off” in his brain, Carlson added, telling his producer he realized he was “becoming something” he didn’t “want to be.”
If you don't get it, that's 3 white trump supporters jumping a black protester and beating the crap out of him, and Carlson was watching it on a video.
Skeptic. Not that I don't believe him sending such message I just don't believe Fox News would have reacted to it.
This is a guy promoting constantly stuff like Great Replacement conspiracy on his show without anyone on Fox News lifting a finger. That is a variation of a 140 year old conspiracy theory that appeals only to certain type of people....
It baffles me how they're treating him as some kind of closeted racists when his entire show has been centered around white supremacy since day 1. This isn't exactly some major revelation. It's far more likely the fox execs are trying to create a scape goat for all their bs that's landing them in court and who better than the neo nazi that's been the face of the majority of it?
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 4. May 23, 16:45

I love how people try to make something complicated when it isn't.

Fox got a big settlement to pay
Whole media industry is running dry on advert money and no more cheap credit rates to roll over debt
Carlson in one on the most expensive news anchors

Conclusion - money
Projection - expect more to come (e.g. BuzzFeed)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 4. May 23, 19:26

felter wrote:
As despicable as that was, it is also encouraging that Carlson admitted he was "becoming something he didn't want to be". It tells me that the man is not completely bad to the core. For some reason, mainly liberals seem to hate his guts. I have never watched Carlson and I don't have a strong opinion of him, other than he's a conservative and I am an old fashioned liberal. On that basis, I accept that he and I probably disagree on certain things. Although these days, the line between 'sides' is becoming increasingly blurred, with liberals taking stands that conservatives used to represent and conservatives adopting what were once liberal values. It's all very strange.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 5. May 23, 02:24

I think Tucker's problem is that he is a nationalist, with some sympathies to radicals, either American neo Nazis or take you pick fascist wanna be s.

What he doesn't want to become is anyone's guess.

What about what he had become?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 5. May 23, 13:29

Plans to ban police officers having facial hair has not gone down well in Scotland. It does seem a little bizarre...

Ban the Beard!
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 5. May 23, 13:44

... and it opens a can of worms over gender equality issues and definitions of moustaches, etc.

Personally, I would have thought that regular testing/training in the use of irritants would resolve much of the concern over use of respirator and protective masks, etc. It's great incentive to keep it trim when the alternative is to suffer irritant effects yourself because your protective gear doesn't fit!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 5. May 23, 17:55

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 5. May 23, 13:44
... and it opens a can of worms over gender equality issues and definitions of moustaches, etc.
Are you saying the female officers will be allowed to grow a beard and/or moustache, that definitely is not fair. :D

But seriously with all that is happening in the UK today that's the best story to talk about, not the fact the Tory's are being spanked in the local English elections, where they have lost nearly a third of their seats, now that's news and good news at that. It's also good that even though Labour have made gains, they aren't getting it their own way either, with both the Liberals and greens also seeing massive gains.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 5. May 23, 20:03

That's it - hell seems to be frozen: rockpapershotgun.com/fortnite-is-now-officially-an-olympic-esport

Guess my gaming days are over and / or I'm old enough to participate in the generation conflict. :oops:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 5. May 23, 21:00

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 5. May 23, 20:03
That's it - hell seems to be frozen: rockpapershotgun.com/fortnite-is-now-officially-an-olympic-esport

Guess my gaming days are over and / or I'm old enough to participate in the generation conflict. :oops:
Can't say I like the idea either. Madness I say, madness!!! :lol:
=

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 10. May 23, 09:08

I honestly thought that this Bud Light boykott was nothing but an internet sensation that would blow over quickly, but now there is a first case of people getting assaulted for suspected Bud Light purchases.

A man and woman in Canada were injured after a confrontation about the beer they choose to buy. The woman's injuries had to be treated in a hospital. The attackers checked the bags of the couple and found that they hadn't bought Bud l
Light, like they initially suspected, but that the beer they bought came in a rainbow coloured can, which apperenly was just as bad and from the point of view of the attackers warranted the assault.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9684566/vaug ... bud-light/
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 10. May 23, 09:13

Beer police? In Canada out of all places?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 12. May 23, 22:18

I have every sympathy for the child's injuries (she suffered second degree burns to her leg) but successfully suing McDonalds under the specific circumstances around this case has me a little stunned. She burned herself on a chicken nugget... Could this kind of civil court case happen in the UK or elsewhere? - Apparently a UK man did sue McDonalds for £750 for burning himself on an apple pie... I guess it's just the figures that vary. I doubt the mother is expecting a similar amount for her daughter's injury...

The mother handed the meal to her 4 yr old autistic daughter who was sat in the back seat of her car, and then drove off. I... I... ???
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 12. May 23, 23:37

I went shopping earlier today and saw a pretty rare sight on the way to the shops, an adult pushing a kid in a stroller and actually interacting with the kid instead of their phone, not seen that in a long time.

Onto a totally different story, the law-abiding honest George Santos admits to theft in Brazil, that's one charge taken care of just 13 more to go. I wonder who is going to go to jail first, Santos or Trump.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 13. May 23, 17:43

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 12. May 23, 22:18
I have every sympathy for the child's injuries (she suffered second degree burns to her leg) but successfully suing McDonalds under the specific circumstances around this case has me a little stunned. She burned herself on a chicken nugget... Could this kind of civil court case happen in the UK or elsewhere? - Apparently a UK man did sue McDonalds for £750 for burning himself on an apple pie... I guess it's just the figures that vary. I doubt the mother is expecting a similar amount for her daughter's injury...

The mother handed the meal to her 4 yr old autistic daughter who was sat in the back seat of her car, and then drove off. I... I... ???
That seems a baffling ruling - after all, you're buying cooked food - and you'd expect it served hot. The only party that sounds negligent is the parent... in not supervising the consumption of food for young children.

As for the pay-out of the English guy's Apple pie and US ladies hot coffee (though not looked at the damage each suffered of course) - shows the difference between US and UK :D

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 15. May 23, 15:24

i used to think the coffee lawsuit was absurd until I found out the details of the lawsuit. It wasn't that the lady spilled hot coffee on her self, its that the coffee was way hotter than it was supposed to have been. something like a 40 degree temp above what they were supposed to be serving by their own safety and standards processes and she ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns as a result.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 15. May 23, 16:23

To be honest, when I first tried McDonalds Apple Pie, I burned myself a bit.

I didn't expect it to be served like smoking hot fresh from the oven.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 15. May 23, 16:45

Having read a bit more about the coffee incident - it's somewhat different. She did burn herself, and the coffee was at McDonalds mandated temperature (so not absurdly high, or even above their actual stated temps). However, she'd only sought money for medical expenses and lost income of her daughter - 20k. MacDonalds refused and forced it to trial instead of settling. It turned out that while their coffee was the temp they said (up to 88 degrees), they'd explained it was so people could drive away and enjoy hot coffee later - whereas their own survey had shown most people intend to drink the coffee immediately - and at that temperature you could burn your mouth/throat. The 88 degrees meant it could cause burns after mere seconds, whereas every other outlet served coffee at least 11 degrees lower in temperature - which would require up to 20s to give the same level of burns.

But the big'un was that MacDonalds had received reports for over 700 other burns related to hot coffee over the preceding years, and paid out over half a million dollars in relation to those claims. They still serve coffee between 80-90 degrees, but use more rigid containers and more prominent warnings. Most other competitors also serve coffee up to 85 degrees - Starbucks etc. So they're not out of the norm.

Apparently burns cases against vendors are common. Most judges throw them out before trial. The above one succeeded possibly because of the unfamiliar insurer / franchise miscommunication and so on. In other words, they don't think it should have succeeded at all. Weird :D

All this is admittedly based on trusting Wikipedia and it's referenced material for accuracy :D

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 15. May 23, 18:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_jaU5V9FUg the first bit of that video is a fairly quick but well sourced breakdown of the lawsuit.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”