Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 20:17

So I stumbled onto this video, Putin Style. Now it left me wondering, what the hell do they close the city down whenever he wants to go some place, as there are no other vehicles or people apart from military in the video. Then I got to the end of it where he is walking into the room with all the other people eagerly awaiting him, as he walks in he tries to give it a swagger trying to probably make himself look tough, but to me he looks so effeminate as he swings his hips to and fro. :twisted:
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 23:00

Interesting. He doesn't move his right arm very much. There could be habitual reasons for that or even an injury. It leads to a bit of "swagger."

He's "walking for the camera" so it's difficult to tell. If someone points a camera at you and tells you they'll film you doing nothing but walking for five minutes, how well do you think you'd do in "walking naturally?" It ain't easy. :)

I miss The Sopranos... Not that it should have kept going on, I just loved the ride. :) I think the Soprano's theme lends a nice touch, but I think Tony would have... handled Putin.

(In reality, some of the things Putin has been associate with are fairly horrendous... far more than what mere "fiction" would touch.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 22. Dec 17, 08:48

Pewdiepie can console himself with the thought that there are *lots* worse things that can happen to Youtubers than be dropped by Disney for anti-Semitic pranks:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/yo ... smsnnews11

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Fri, 22. Dec 17, 10:10

pjknibbs wrote:Pewdiepie can console himself with the thought that there are *lots* worse things that can happen to Youtubers than be dropped by Disney for anti-Semitic pranks:

How can somebody insult a drug lord in mexico, and more, how can you even think about doing it if you live there......

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 22. Dec 17, 21:23

pjknibbs wrote:Pewdiepie can console himself with the thought that there are *lots* worse things that can happen to Youtubers than be dropped by Disney for anti-Semitic pranks:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Probably a result of a hefty dose of "I'm indestructible" teen enthusiasm coupled with insta-celeb pains and a bunch of alcohol.

The thing is, this shouldn't have happened. People treat these drug lords as part of a natural environment instead of being aberrant criminals... Powerful, yes, but they shouldn't be.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 20:30

Change your passwords... again:

1.4 billion credentials discovered in aggregated database

That's right - 1.4 billion password/credential entries in a single "darkweb" (oooh, scary) aggregated database available for download... 1.4 billion. BILLION.

Talk about "brute force."

If you haven't already set up two-factor/more authentication for your critical online resources/addys, do so.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 21:26

Here I am again, with more things that don't need their own thread...

CDC wants to educate on nuclear preparedness, again, just in case..

Does this mean I have to duct-tape my windows, again?

Do I need to buy a school desk to hide under? Should I nuclear-blast-proof my home by nailing a thousand school-desks to the roof? Good idea?

Or, maybe, I should acknowledge the fact that if I see the attack or notice it when it happens, I'm most-likely screwed, anyway...

[ external image ]

I don't think "duck and cover" is going to work.

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 06:23

Morkonan wrote: Stuff > Nuke preparedness
Be at ground Zero . Don't really want to deal with the aftermath .
...........................................................................................

NeTZDG : .... and Europe is so concerned about the U.S. net neutrality thing . Looks like Europe won't have an internet .
Thought Crime: German Police Raid Homes Of People Who Made ‘Hateful Postings’ On The Internet

https://www.dailywire.com/news/17801/th ... hua-yasmeh
PS; If this post gets deleted I'll understand and know why .

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 15:20

Tracker001 wrote: NeTZDG : .... and Europe is so concerned about the U.S. net neutrality thing . Looks like Europe won't have an internet .
Thought Crime: German Police Raid Homes Of People Who Made ‘Hateful Postings’ On The Internet

But, what about all those kids playing Call of Duty that keep saying they've slept with my mom?

I'm all against "hate speech" and such, but any law directed towards it had better be very specific with no ambiguities. "Social Media" companies can't easily enforce "borders," either. Though, if they do "something" they can say they're complying and put the rest of the blame on the user.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 18:23

Tracker001 wrote:
Morkonan wrote: Stuff > Nuke preparedness
Be at ground Zero . Don't really want to deal with the aftermath .
...........................................................................................

NeTZDG : .... and Europe is so concerned about the U.S. net neutrality thing . Looks like Europe won't have an internet .

I'm afraid but your whole post suggests that your understanding of either of the matters Net Neutrality or the Netzwerkdurchsetzungsgesetz (NetzDG) is rather low. Just a couple of points:

Net Neutrality:
- All data transferred over the internet has to be treated equally by internet service providers. Thus providers are not allowed to bill or throttle different content differently.

NetzDG:
- Is a German law, i.e. has nothing to do with EU jurisdiction
- Only applies to social media networks / websites (like Facebook, Twitter etc.), does not apply to curated news pages, nor non-profit websites or forums or websites aimed at providing very specific contents or communication between individuals. (So this forum doesn't even fall under this law. Also, the law itself doesn't list "critizing a German law" as offendable. Thus, even if this forum would fall under it, the law itself would not be applicable. Besides, you know that posts are not deleted here either way.)
- Forces operators of respective websites to do something against hate speech of their users in certain ways, and requires to report their actions accordingly. If they do not do this properly, they are fined.

The house-raiding described in the article you linked had nothing to do with the NetzDG in the first place. Actions like the denial of the Holocaust, defamation, incite of an offence or threats are culpable. Whether you do that face to face to another person, via letter or internet doesn't matter and as such will also be prosecuted accordingly. I'm pretty sure that to a degree that is the same in the USA as well.
Morkonan wrote:I'm all against "hate speech" and such, but any law directed towards it had better be very specific with no ambiguities. "Social Media" companies can't easily enforce "borders," either. Though, if they do "something" they can say they're complying and put the rest of the blame on the user.
The German public and almost the completely media is highly critical of the Netzwerkdurchsetzungsgesetz (NetzDG). Articles, which you can read in German media these days (and when the law passed last year), speak of "nonsense", "a debacle", "a stupid law" and the like.

Imho the problem here is not the ambiguity of the law itself though. Instead it's the process of deciding what is offendable hate speech and what isn't. The usual process in a society with free speech is: Someone says something. If someone else feels offended by that they can file a charge. Then executive forces (police) and legislative force (courts) take action with both parties, offender and person who filed the charges, having the chance to state their case. Now, however, the NetzDG requires from the operator to decide what content falls under free speech and what is hate speech. A decision, for which the courts can take weeks or months, is now supposed to be made by non-professionals in seconds maybe a minute. Which simply doesn't work. So right now how it works out, is that more content is simply blocked although it does not qualifiy as hate speech or either of the other crimes mentioned in this law. But even if it would work out as planned, this law obviously just applies to companies with a German office / server location. No one is stopping people from using hate speech on other similar websites outside of Germany.

What you mentioned with regards to the websites only doing "something" and blaming the rest on their users then, is the actual reason for the NetzDG. Basically, our justice minister wanted to do something against hate speech on the web, and asked social media platforms to do "something". They, however, didn't do enough, and so he had the bright ( :roll: ) idea to bring the NetzDG on its way.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 23:44

The Q wrote:....What you mentioned with regards to the websites only doing "something" and blaming the rest on their users then, is the actual reason for the NetzDG. Basically, our justice minister wanted to do something against hate speech on the web, and asked social media platforms to do "something". They, however, didn't do enough, and so he had the bright ( :roll: ) idea to bring the NetzDG on its way.
^--- This! ^---- This, this, THIS!

That exact sequence of events is why most large business entities, no matter what sector they're in, try to engage in "self-regulation." They know something needs to be done about something and they fear the "heavy hand of government" will act if they do not.

The social media in question didn't act well enough to satisfy the needs and desires of those being served.

OR, perhaps, a politician wanted to demonstrate their worth to their constituents, so they took up a "righteous cause" and made a complete mess out of it... :)

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 03:04

The Q wrote: stuff and missed the point entirely . We will see how long it takes for other EU members follow suit .

Net Nutrality {I do understand what can of worms that NN opened up by not putting ISPs under the Utility Esental Service act.} is an issue for the U.S. } I see no where that NN will effect internatinal traffic speeds
Imho the problem here is not the ambiguity of the law itself though. Instead it's the process of deciding what is offendable hate speech and what isn't. The usual process in a society with free speech is: Someone says something. If someone else feels offended by that they can file a charge. Then executive forces (police) and legislative force (courts) take action with both parties, offender and person who filed the charges, having the chance to state their case.

Code: Select all

Now, however, the NetzDG requires from the operator to decide what content falls under free speech and what is hate speech. A decision, for which the courts can take weeks or months, is now supposed to be made by non-professionals in seconds maybe a minute. Which simply doesn't work.
So right now how it works out, is that more content is simply blocked although it does not qualifiy as hate speech or either of the other crimes mentioned in this law. But even if it would work out as planned, this law obviously just applies to companies with a German office / server location. No one is stopping people from using hate speech on other similar websites outside of Germany.
So right now how it works out, is that more content is simply blocked although it does not qualifiy as hate speech or either of the other crimes mentioned in this law. But even if it would work out as planned, this law obviously just applies to companies with a German office / server location.
Like Merkal craking down on media reporting on situations like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2XVK1a3dU

How does reporting Who , What , When and Where correlate to being classified as hate speech ?

Where places like Sweden and other EU members have followed suit .

Steve Hughs

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 03:43

felter wrote:So I stumbled onto this video, Putin Style. Now it left me wondering, what the hell do they close the city down whenever he wants to go some place, as there are no other vehicles or people apart from military in the video. Then I got to the end of it where he is walking into the room with all the other people eagerly awaiting him, as he walks in he tries to give it a swagger trying to probably make himself look tough, but to me he looks so effeminate as he swings his hips to and fro. :twisted:
Er he does not look effeminate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... X6ebzLQdy4

This is effeminacy or effeminate behavior.

(actually its a parody but still)

You have to hand it to Putin - The man has style.

He even shakes the man of his subordinates.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 12:10

@Tracker
I'm afraid but your train of thought is as clear as your quotation of my post.

None of the links you provided has again anything to do with NetzDG or with Net Neutrality. Being offended and being threatened are two totally different things. And again threatening people is and always has been a crime in Germany. Reading this Wikipedia article, it appears to be the same in the USA. As for the Who/What/When/Where question, these are exactly the questions you have to answer when filing a charge for whatever crime.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 18:44

Oprah Winfrey actively thinking about running for U.S. President

Does Canada have beaches?

With sand on them?

Without polar bears?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 22:16

She can't do a worse job than the current incumbent, surely?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 23:13

Just what we need, another celebrity with absolutely zero government service experience thinking they can run the country. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 23:20

TBF I think its a case of peopel projecting than her being actually up for it. Still its ironic that people instead of learning from past mistakes, decided to double down on it. Maybe THIS time it will be good. :roll:

Do you know the definition of insanity (strong language)

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 08:31

pjknibbs wrote:She can't do a worse job than the current incumbent, surely?
Uh... Wasn't that the reason people gave for electing the current incumbent?

Isn't that always the reason? :)

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 12:13

No, she can't do a worse job than the incumbent. However, I suspect that this is setting the bar incredibly low . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Return to “Off Topic English”