Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by felter » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 04:17

Volcanos are pretty X2 sagt Bussi auf Bauch things, they just don't do what you want them to do when you want them to do their thing, as Tom Scott found out when he tried to do be a volcano tourist with Mount Fagradalsfjall. They expected that Volcano to just erupt for a week or two, it is still going 6 months after its first eruption with no signs of letting up, unless you are Tom Scott paying it a visit.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 11:18

Berlins citizens voted yesterday to expropriate any real estate agency that owns 3000 or more flats in the city. They hope to stop rents from rising this way.

Expropriations so far have mostly been used when new roads needed to be build or when a village was in the way of a coal mine. This would be the first time that they are used to combat rising rents.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/be ... 021-09-27/
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 16:13

clakclak wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 11:18
Berlins citizens voted yesterday to expropriate any real estate agency that owns 3000 or more flats in the city. They hope to stop rents from rising this way.
Question - what would prevent every real estate agency to break into smaller subsidiaries below 3000 each?

If you own 3000+ properties, I'm quite sure they can afford some additional paperwork.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Mon, 27. Sep 21, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 17:19

I suspect the investigations might be similar to say those for the monopoly legislation where the authorities look for similar or associated ownership involvements. Of course some bodies might be better at hiding their administrative and financial traces than others.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 21:13

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 16:13
clakclak wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 11:18
Question - what would prevent every real estate agency to break into smaller subsidiaries below 3000 each?

If you own 3000+ properties, I'm quite sure they can afford some additional paperwork.
Nothing from what I can tell. But that will most likely lead to people getting even more aggrivated. I was in Berlin not to long ago and the amount of hate against companies like Deutsche Wohnen is impressive.

But sure, this was a non binding referendum to begin with and I am sure there are many legal loopholes.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 23:47

Hey guys,

here's a still taken from a drone video that shows my place damaged and partly destroyed about 2 days before the lava flow took it completely:
Image.

It's in the front to the right, upper part Canarian style, lower part basalt shrouded and facing concrete. Window blinds closed, that's the white.

The whole area is now deeply covered by lava, and the eruption is going on. Meanwhile the lava reached the sea and is building up a delta. Scientist in chief of the volcanic institute of the Canaries said a simple and concise "No" when asked by a journalist if there were any signs of the process weakening or coming to an end.

But what I find fascinating (I'm a science guy) is that a slightly explosive eruption can happen right in a fairly densely inhabited area (the first vent opened with a hefty tremor right 650m up from my place !) and nobody has come to physical harm, until now. Though a lot of property and productive means was and is being lost. We get daily briefings from volcanologists, meteorology and the catastrophe management. Weather has changed, there's a fat inversion lingering, so tomorrow there may be some problems with H2S in the air. Rotten eggs, yeuch.

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 1. Oct 21, 00:14

Wow, that sucks. Hope you at least get a chance to rebuild.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 00:03

BaronVerde wrote:
Thu, 30. Sep 21, 23:47
Hey guys,

here's a still taken from a drone video that shows my place damaged and partly destroyed about 2 days before the lava flow took it completely:
Image.

It's in the front to the right, upper part Canarian style, lower part basalt shrouded and facing concrete. Window blinds closed, that's the white.

The whole area is now deeply covered by lava, and the eruption is going on. Meanwhile the lava reached the sea and is building up a delta. Scientist in chief of the volcanic institute of the Canaries said a simple and concise "No" when asked by a journalist if there were any signs of the process weakening or coming to an end.

But what I find fascinating (I'm a science guy) is that a slightly explosive eruption can happen right in a fairly densely inhabited area (the first vent opened with a hefty tremor right 650m up from my place !) and nobody has come to physical harm, until now. Though a lot of property and productive means was and is being lost. We get daily briefings from volcanologists, meteorology and the catastrophe management. Weather has changed, there's a fat inversion lingering, so tomorrow there may be some problems with H2S in the air. Rotten eggs, yeuch.
Unstoppable isn't it?

I am shocked to see that, it is very awe inspiring, humbling to be honest. The shocking thing is that I have long considered a move to the Canaries, ( astronomy related, ) I still do. Not because I wish to experience what you have, first hand, but because of what I read about the people who live there. This even though I read about some people abandoning their pets, which I just cannot understand. I think I would donate to the temporary animal sanctuary, if I knew their website. Perhaps you could suggest they open such a site, if they have already not. Always assuming you know them, which I assumed you did.

Anyway, hope you can recover from this. Take care and be well... :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Sat, 2. Oct 21, 18:04

greypanther wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 00:03
Unstoppable isn't it?

I am shocked to see that, it is very awe inspiring, humbling to be honest. The shocking thing is that I have long considered a move to the Canaries, ( astronomy related, ) I still do. Not because I wish to experience what you have, first hand, but because of what I read about the people who live there. This even though I read about some people abandoning their pets, which I just cannot understand. I think I would donate to the temporary animal sanctuary, if I knew their website. Perhaps you could suggest they open such a site, if they have already not. Always assuming you know them, which I assumed you did.

Anyway, hope you can recover from this. Take care and be well... :)
Absolutely. Apart from behaving somewhat like a fluid the lava is also denser than any sediments or concrete one could put in its ways. And it can't be channelled like water, since it cools and gets less viscous, but is being pushed by fresh stuff from behind. Every flow is modelled individually with all known data.

I actually have donated, for my neighbours as well as for an animal shelter.

Well, if you plan to come here when reconstruction is on the way, be invited. I had a pretty decent equipment for astrophotography as well as visual, but it is gone. I doubt I can ever replace it, don't have 20000,- Euro in excess. Have to inherit first 8) Think I'll put a data leak in the window "Are you interested in a job ?" :skull: :D

Need to find a construction site,build a new house completely autarkic energy-wise, electric car, get a new pc, recreate my bookshelves, basic furniture, two cats from the shelter :) Am starting to make plans, you see !

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 17:11

Gravity (NOT gravitational !) waves, those concentric rings, at an atmospheric inversion caused by the plume of the Cumbre Vieja eruption. The inversion is being excited (yipieh) and forms waves in rings that travel from the centre outward.

https://elapuron.com/noticias/sociedad/ ... -del-aire/

Gravity waves:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_wave

The eruption has intensified in the last days and is ongoing. On the volcanic explosivity index (VEI) it is level 2, with 0 being "something flows out", 7/8 a continental catastrophe with global effects like Mount Toba, Phlegrean Fields or Yellowstone Caldera. We're humble, aren't we ?

~1100 buildings were destroyed until now, impact on economy has not been set in numbers yet, but this is EU, this kind of money doesn't matter.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 20:50

BaronVerde wrote:
Sat, 2. Oct 21, 18:04
I Am starting to make plans, you see !
Good to see you are being positive! ( Even though it must be very hard... ) :)

I have never gone down the rabbit hole that is amateur AP, yet anyway... :roll: 20000, could be just the start from what I have seen.

If I wasn't caring for my wife full time, I would be over there in a flash to try and help you, not that I would be that much help really I guess...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 8. Oct 21, 19:14

Copernicus, European Emergency Management system, creates maps of the affected area of the Cumbre Vieja eruption.They are published after the respective satellite overflies and data mangling. Here's the one from today:

https://emergency.copernicus.eu/mapping ... P01_v1.jpg

Every red flag is a destroyed construction of any type, every yellow is damaged. But mind you, those are not all residential buildings, there are a lot of agricultural buildings around, farming, sheds, etc. The last number i heard was ~700 residential buildings.

The eruption is ongoing, the geophysicists say there's no immediate end in sight. Let's hope that no new hot spots develop further south on the dorsal.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 21:07

I can't vouch for the rest of the UK, but things are starting to get more than a little bit scarce up here, with the shop shelves slowly emptying and there doesn't seem to be any sign of panic buying either, I just wonder how long that will last as more people notice they are no longer getting their weekly shopping done. Also has anyone else been having problems getting their prescriptions filled, as it seems every time I go for mines something is missing, and I have to go back later to get what is missing, which so far has been a week.

And where is our great leader during all of this, away on holiday, as everything in the UK is just great and no problems with anything. Something tells me that him being on holiday at this time is no coincidence, I think he ran away as he knew a certain parliament report was just about to be released accusing him of killing 20,000 people. He can't blame the report on the opposition, either, as the two main characters behind it were from his own party. So I think he ran away as he does not want to take responsibility for his total and utter screw up.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 21:45

There are a few shortages at my local Morrisons--for some reason, microwave instant meals seem to be in rather short supply--but mostly things are pretty OK; plenty of eggs, bread, toilet paper and the like. I guess they might be prioritising stuff like that as being "essential" while microwave instant meals technically aren't, but even so, the shelves are nowhere near as empty as they were back during the panic buying rush at the beginning of the pandemic.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 05:33

I just have to post this as it is right on the button (warning NSFW as it does contain some bad language.)

What Boris has done.

Do you think he knows that history is not going to paint a nice picture of him, or do you think he is fooling himself into thinking he is the greatest PM of all time?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 19:47

So the British press were all up in arms because Johnson both denies the accusations and has not apologized for the people he killed. Why are they surprised, Johnson has never taken responsibility for anything he has ever done, it's always someone else to blame. Not just that for him to take accountability for his actions would or could possibly lead to some kind of prosecution, I still think at some point in the future he will face some kind of legal action from at least one of the family's for the death of their loved one that his actions or inactions caused.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 20:34

Well, we all obviously know in detail the exact medical, scientific and political advice that the government (and by inference Boris) were being given at the time and so yes, I agree, it's really shocking that Boris personally killed all those people.

Seriously, let's wait for the actual independent public enquiry phase into the pandemic handling by UK authority public bodies and individuals in power before grabbing for the pitchforks and torches.

I'm neither defending nor accusing at present, but just waiting for thorough investigation that is not based on 20/20 hindsight, personal agendas nor media headlines. As Shakespeare said, 'Truth will out.'
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 21:32

William Shatner had a short trip (100 km up and back in 10 minutes). https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58885555
90-year-old and goes to space. 8)

When do drones Amazon start to deliver shoppings to the Moon and could there be more environmental activities? :gruebel:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 23:08

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 13. Oct 21, 20:34
Well, we all obviously know in detail the exact medical, scientific and political advice that the government (and by inference Boris) were being given at the time and so yes, I agree, it's really shocking that Boris personally killed all those people.

Seriously, let's wait for the actual independent public enquiry phase into the pandemic handling by UK authority public bodies and individuals in power before grabbing for the pitchforks and torches.

I'm neither defending nor accusing at present, but just waiting for thorough investigation that is not based on 20/20 hindsight, personal agendas nor media headlines. As Shakespeare said, 'Truth will out.'
This is based on an official parliament investigation, one that was lead by conservative party members, not the public, not the press and not the opposition parties though they were involved. Yes granted it was not a full public investigation, something that Boris Johnson is desperately trying to avoid, HMM I wonder why that is.

I am trying to find a copy of the report, but I don't know if it was made public, I can tell you that it was 151 pages long which is around 75,000 words, and it was pretty damning of the Government at the time, though it did say the Vaccine rollout was good. One interesting point it did bring up, was that Boris was basing his decisions on a 3-year-old report that said only 100 people would die, while more than that were already dead and dying. I don't know what that report was basing its finding on to predict 100 dead, as the Covid virus is not even 3-years-old right now.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 17. Oct 21, 12:00

Woman gets raped on a commuter train in Philadelphia, nobody on the train did anything to help her. Eventually someone outside the train saw the woman when the train went past and alarmed the police.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/wom ... e-80620028

EDIT: This story was later proven to be wrong.
Last edited by clakclak on Tue, 9. Nov 21, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic English”