Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:07

Woah there. Given the title of this thread, would a dedicated Musk thread (and/or yet another separate FoS thread) be preferred now?
(I ask mainly because FoS discussions tend to get heated/personal and their threads are prone to getting official interventions in some way - yes, I can plainly see the irony in that statement.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:09

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:07
Woah there. Given the title of this thread, would dedicated Musk and/or (yet another) FoS threads be preferred now?
The tales of Musk been a hot topic for last weeks, thus why it's end out being put here.

I don't think it will last long, probably die out by Holiday Break, so it's probably not worth of opening new topic.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:11

clakclak wrote:
Sat, 3. Dec 22, 21:12
Are you also against public libraries and schools banning books on critical race theory, LBTQI+ issues or gender? Just curious, because to be quite frank I often heard similar talking points from people who will then, in the very next sentence, say that books like "Critical Race Theory: An Introduction" by Jean Stefancic and Richard Delgado or "Gender Queer: A Memoir" by Maia Kobabe obviously should not be allowed in public libaries. And for the record, YES, I want Jordan Peterson and Adolf Hitler to be available in libaries, just like I want the other two to be available. I do not like Peterson and Hitler, but it is a god damn PUBLIC library where freedom of speech, unlike with a private company, actually applies very directly at least in my opinion.
For the record, I am a long-time liberal Democrat. As such, I don't subscribe to most right-wing talking points by default. Yes, I am against banning books on critical race theory, LBTQI+ etc. Let people discuss these things from all viewpoints, without fear of being censored from discourse.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:13

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:07
Woah there. Given the title of this thread, would dedicated Musk and/or (yet another) FoS threads be preferred now?
I think I will refrain from commenting further on FoS. I should not have made any comments to begin with (I can understand if others answer my post above, but I will not answer back or if they want me to send them a PM). All of us have thought about this topic a lot of times. All of us have our opinions. And I think no matter how long we discuss the topic, there will be no new thought to be found here that was mentioned before. So I agree with mr.WHO in that I do not think it will be needed.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 05:14

Observe wrote:
Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:11
For the record, I am a long-time liberal Democrat. As such, I don't subscribe to most right-wing talking points by default. Yes, I am against banning books on critical race theory, LBTQI+ etc. Let people discuss these things from all viewpoints, without fear of being censored from discourse.
See that's where you and I disagree. People should fear consequences otherwise there's 0 accountability.

You can't sit there with a straight face and say "Jewish space lasers cause California wildfires" is a debate worthy topic (or has anything meaningful to dissect) even though that bs came from a sitting member of congress, and that's not even the most asinine thing that's been said. Yet you're okay with allowing this kind of nonsense to persist? I fail to see how anything meaningful can come from allowing things like that (and worse) to be part of any notion of a civilized society. All that does is encourage others to follow in their footsteps and we all saw what happens (Jan 6, 2021) when these ideologies are allowed to thrive.

I'll further add, these same people you're saying deserve a voice are trying to rewrite history by burying any truth of slavery and replacing it with fallacies like "slavery was a choice" and other truly disgusting moves. Yes - these people need more platforms to voice their bs, for sure!

And here's the other side of this... They're not interested in debate or discourse or whatever you wanna call it. In their alternate universe, they're right and nothing you can say will change their mind (or they know they're wrong, they don't care, they want to brainwash the next and following generations). And this isn't a recent revelation. This begs the question, did you sleep through the last 6 years?
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 07:51

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 4. Dec 22, 05:14
Observe wrote:
Sat, 3. Dec 22, 22:11
See that's where you and I disagree. People should fear consequences otherwise there's 0 accountability.

You can't sit there with a straight face and say "Jewish space lasers cause California wildfires" is a debate worthy topic (or has anything meaningful to dissect) even though that bs came from a sitting member of congress, and that's not even the most asinine thing that's been said. Yet you're okay with allowing this kind of nonsense to persist? I fail to see how anything meaningful can come from allowing things like that (and worse) to be part of any notion of a civilized society. All that does is encourage others to follow in their footsteps and we all saw what happens (Jan 6, 2021) when these ideologies are allowed to thrive.

I'll further add, these same people you're saying deserve a voice are trying to rewrite history by burying any truth of slavery and replacing it with fallacies like "slavery was a choice" and other truly disgusting moves. Yes - these people need more platforms to voice their bs, for sure!

And here's the other side of this... They're not interested in debate or discourse or whatever you wanna call it. In their alternate universe, they're right and nothing you can say will change their mind (or they know they're wrong, they don't care, they want to brainwash the next and following generations). And this isn't a recent revelation. This begs the question, did you sleep through the last 6 years?
That last paragraph of yours is homing in to the core problem: unfiltered free speech is flooding the world with nonsense - even in places it shouldn't be. (government, universities etc)

If leader boards degrade to regulars tables we are in serious trouble. And there are people out there who think this it worth it. Or - and this is my pov as well - those people doesn't have the slightest clue about the consequences of going "full on free speech".

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 10:34

Meanwhile in USA:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/03/poli ... index.html
“Do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution”

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 11:07

Things are hotting up against him. He wants the shield of the presidency to protect him from being indicted. Especailly as he lost many court cases against him, also two former white house lawyers have answered questions in a grand jury. He is sweating. But he also mentally unfit. He should be removed from holding any farther office.

He will only get worse as the pressure continues to build.
=

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 15:55

Awesome - the French are banning short flights: https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/12/ ... -proposals

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:10

Make sence, if you have reliable and well connected high speed rail.

Too bad in many other places, rail was neglected in favor of air and highway network.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 23:11

Three little words that just seem to go together, "Trump in Trouble" no more so than today as:
Two subsidiaries of the Trump Organization - Trump Corp and Trump Payroll Corp - were convicted on all 17 charges of tax fraud and falsifying business records.
While this is not a conviction against trump himself, what with the coming civil lawsuit against him and his children things must be getting more than a little bit worrying for him and his family, as I'm sure that this conviction will be used against him in that lawsuit, couldn't happen to a more deserving family. Of course, he's calling it politically motivated, which I say is fair enough if he hadn't just been found guilty by a jury of his peers and not any politicians. The saying goes, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime, and I don't think he will manage to do the time.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 09:43

I bet there going to be a lot of Ketchup on the walls, he will be furious right about now. Also the J6 committee will be making criminal referrals to the justice department. (But what kind of charges, we won't know until the end of the week)

Plus another senate loss, U.S. Senator Raphael Warnock beat Republican challenger Herschel Walker in a Georgia runoff election. So yeah, plenty of Ketchup on the walls this week, and maybe in the weeks to follow. :lol:
=

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 16:43

When you thought only Russia is still living in XIX century...but some dudes in Germany wants Holy Roman Empire back:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63885028

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 19:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 16:43
When you thought only Russia is still living in XIX century...but some dudes in Germany wants Holy Roman Empire back:
So who do we have here (based on what I gethered from German news sources as well)?

At least one crazed former member of the KSK (that is basically Germany's version of the Delta Force), who is potentially a VERY dangerous individual. He is one of multiple former (also active?) soldiers. There is also at least one police officer in the bunch.

Then there is Birgit Malsack-Winkemann. Former member of the German parliament for, yes you guessed correctly, the AfD. She was a judge, technically I think she still is a judge.

So far we have, a bunch of people from the executive branch of the government and at least one member of the judicial branch with a past in the legislative branch.

Then there is Prince Doof, officially called Heinrich XIII. Prinz Reuß. I guess he was choosen for his "blue blood"? Can't really see what he offers to our rag tag crew, maybe connections, money, leadership?

EDIT: Also this random Lady who, depending on the source, either is Russian or at least has connections to the Russian government.

Please let this be the small thing needed to charge them with high treason instead of only the minor stuff! One would think everything else would be enough, but you never know.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 21:38

What a surprise, NOT!!!

More classified documents have been found in a rental storage unit. The search was done by lawyers for the ex president, now the documents have been turned over to the FBI

https://politicalwire.com/2022/12/07/tr ... rage-unit/

It wouldn't surprise me if there are still more to be found, he needs to be indicted already. Trump must have know about the documents being there.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 22:54

Given everything, I wouldn't be surprised if they're building a RICO case against him.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 23:06

clakclak wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 19:24
mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 16:43
So who do we have here (based on what I gethered from German news sources as well)?

At least one crazed former member of the KSK (that is basically Germany's version of the Delta Force), who is potentially a VERY dangerous individual. He is one of multiple former (also active?) soldiers. There is also at least one police officer in the bunch.

Then there is Birgit Malsack-Winkemann. Former member of the German parliament for, yes you guessed correctly, the AfD. She was a judge, technically I think she still is a judge.

So far we have, a bunch of people from the executive branch of the government and at least one member of the judicial branch with a past in the legislative branch.
Interesting... I wonder if the former soldier came from certain dissolved company of KSK which was disbanded after its members were found to be rife with right wing extremists.

What I find strange is that such gathering of the people should know that crowd of two dozen can't overturn a regime which has a mandate from large swathes of electorate, surrounded by nations that are nominally allied to that very same regime. What alternative reality did they operate in? Were they collectively sniffing glue or something?

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Thu, 8. Dec 22, 01:22

Warenwolf wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 23:06
What I find strange is that such gathering of the people should know that crowd of two dozen can't overturn a regime which has a mandate from large swathes of electorate, surrounded by nations that are nominally allied to that very same regime. What alternative reality did they operate in? Were they collectively sniffing glue or something?
On the other hand you could also ask why such a meager number of public enemies arrested makes it even a topic for international media. Let's face it, even Hitler's failed coup in the 1920s had more manpower? Seems a bit like some politicians whose public support plummets need something to show as a success.
I doubt people here care about it as much as about why Germany failed at the football WC this year again (although they did much better than in 2018).
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 8. Dec 22, 10:42

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Thu, 8. Dec 22, 01:22
Warenwolf wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 23:06
On the other hand you could also ask why such a meager number of public enemies arrested makes it even a topic for international media.
Because people will read/watch it, as has just been proven in this very thread. Was it really that much of a struggle to understand why certain "news" becomes news? A bit like main headlines in the UK over Prince Harry's Netflix docu. No agenda's there.

Oh, unless you are saying right wing extremists plots against govts should be left well alone? If that's what you're meaning then :gruebel:

other stuff...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-63883431

Convicted of buildings bombs that killed 200 people in a terrorist attack, let out after 10 years. Seems incredibly lenient.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 8. Dec 22, 15:17

Maybe RWNJ's plotting to overthrow governments isn't news? Is to be expected?
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”