Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Re: Random News not worthy of own thread

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 16. Jan 23, 17:12

To be fair, Lambrecht is just the latest addition to a long list of incompetent people in that office.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 16. Jan 23, 18:15

The politics in general of last few years cause me not to open a champagne untill we find the name of replacement.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 13:25

Well, well well. Looks like Trump made a critical blunder in his during deposition for the E Carroll case. No wonder that Trump's lawyers tried desperately to keep this sealed and failed. Now, the full deposition is available to read. and here is the blunder.

Trump during his deposition was shown a photo of Carroll and he misidentified her as his former wife, Marla Maples.
"That’s Marla, yeah," Trump said. "That’s my wife."
The Post notes that Trump's attorney, Alina Habba, quickly jumped in to inform him that he was looking at a photo of Carroll, not of his second wife.

LOL LOL. But yeah, it proves that Trump has memory problems, very likely dementia. Have to admit, my memory for faces isn't that good. Voices, a bit better. Still, in Trump's case, this will blow up in his face, especailly the "She's not my type".

His lawyers are going to have egg on their faces. Trump will very likely try and settle out of court. But I do hope that the lady sticks to her guns and hails his ass through the court and humiliate him in front of the world.

the very best of British luck to her. As this will certainly help her case no end. Trump's lawyers better start packing. LOL
=

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 19:02

Buzz Aldrin (93) married a fourth time. Possibly his last wife. :mrgreen:

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 23. Jan 23, 09:58

Populists are at it again - this time: Ireland https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... d-refugees

I'm a bit puzzled about Nigel Farages comment - wasn't he retired after wrecking one country? Or is this process still in the making? At the very least - why is anyone still listening / quoting what he says & writes :?

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 22:37

Yet another find of "secret documents" in one of Biden homes. I mean, what's the deal? Trump had a secret stash of documents and god knows who else does.
It seems to me that the national archives have no clue what documents have been taken and never been returned. Seriously, ever forgot to return a book to your local library? They DO remember and they will get you if your books are overdue. :gruebel:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 23:32

Not according to either his lawyer or the BBC, they are saying no documents were found in the most recent search that the FBI has conducted, which it is also worth mentioning it was his own (Bidens) team who organized the search and no search warrant was required, unlike another party that requires no mentioning for anyone to know who I mean. The biggest difference between them all, is that both Biden and Pence have fully co-operated with the feds and have fully admitted to their crimes, while that third party has at all times tried to weasel their way out of trouble and in the end has probably just managed to get themselves into trouble, mainly with obstruction.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 00:08

I'm not talking about the difference between Trump or Biden cases. I'm talking about how this could happen in the first place? Any crappy little library knows what its inventory is, who took items from said inventory and when said items are due to return. Seems not to be the case for the national archives - that host top secret information, literally!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 01:38

Okay dokies. The problem as I see it is that they don't have a clue where a lot of these files actually are, if you take Trump for example, they know that there are many missing files, they even know what a lot of the files missing are about, but they have no idea where they are, a lot they suspect were flushed down the toilet by Trump himself, but they have no way of proving that. To be honest, to me, it sounds like their whole system is broken, just like the rest of America right now, but because their complete system of Government along with the rest of the country is broken and the people who can sort that out are corrupt and also broken, there is no way it is going to get fixed anytime soon, it will probably take the complete collapse of American society for any of it to get fixed. Also expect these missing files to turn up in some pretty weird and unsuspecting locations over the coming decades, like garage sales.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 17:41

It's not that simple. Not every classified thing is produced or filtered through the national archives. Many of them at the white house are reports prepared for the president or other staff on site. The crux of this issue is the presidential records act where by the outgoing president/vp/staff are required to turn over all government documents, classified or otherwise, to the national archives.

What happened to trigger all this is that the national archives felt the amount of documents retrieved from the orange one were less than expected. They followed up by asking for them, found out he didn't turn over everything, got the doj involved, and the rest is history. Biden asked his staff to search for anything he may have misplaced, and I dunno what prompted Pence to look for his stuff off hand, but as felter said, they're both cooperating.

This kind of thing happens all the time, but due to the orange one's belligerence, this is making headlines and putting what would otherwise be waved off under a spotlight. There's hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people that have classified documents in their possession and sometimes shit just gets mistakenly placed where its not supposed to go, aside from the few that are actually trying to commit espionage (like this guy). Overall we're talking less than a percentage of a percent of this information being mishandled. It's not a broken system, it's just a few mistakes and even fewer actual criminal behavior.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 21:39

...so US shot down the evil baloon.

Quite late and too much drama, but made me wonder - why splash it with missile?
Doesn't US have wide range of those fancy laser prototypes?
It would be ideal to "delicately" take down that baloon with higher chance of salvage and recovery.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sun, 5. Feb 23, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sat, 4. Feb 23, 23:40

Oh, did they now? Well, like Shakespeare would say: Much Ado About Nothing. There's tons of spy-sats in low orbits that do the same job on a daily basis. As for salvage and recovery: That's too dangerous. If that thing turned out, as the Chinese claim, to be a stray weather balloon it would be like Nena sang back the 1980s.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 5. Feb 23, 01:40

If that balloon was spying, it was one hell of an amazing feat, think on it, the balloon was launched in China halfway around the world from America where the balloon then travelled thousands of miles using just air currents and the Chinese must be the greatest at prediction these types of things as they got it exactly right for the balloon to float over the exact place they aimed for, for them to spy on. Truly astounding, and I applaud them for it. Meanwhile, the UK and the rest of the world have problems predicting what tomorrow's weather will do using those exact same air currents

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 5. Feb 23, 02:22

I think it's more astountiing that the spy-balloon wasn't detected way earlier. It must have passed Alaskan and Canadian airspace - these things - unlike in games - don't just spawn in mid-air.

Headline for the Washington Pest: Stealth Spy-Balloon Exits Secret Chinese Wormhole Over Montana!

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 5. Feb 23, 11:04

felter wrote:
Sun, 5. Feb 23, 01:40
If that balloon was spying, it was one hell of an amazing feat, think on it, the balloon was launched in China halfway around the world from America where the balloon then travelled thousands of miles using just air currents and the Chinese must be the greatest at prediction these types of things as they got it exactly right for the balloon to float over the exact place they aimed for, for them to spy on. Truly astounding, and I applaud them for it. Meanwhile, the UK and the rest of the world have problems predicting what tomorrow's weather will do using those exact same air currents
Well... people managed to make semi-navigable spy balloons back in 1950s and I doubt the technology in that field has not progressed since. Quick google search shows several countries investing in this tech still, including US which has largest fleet of spy satellites orbiting the earth.
As sidenote Japanese tried to bomb US mainland with balloons during ww2 launching them from south Japan with at several hundred reaching US but failing to do much damage
(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb)

Also weather predictions is tad bit more complex on local level. Storms with heavy rainfall in the west of Norway will result in only strong winds in the eastern Norway due to a mountain range, between the two parts of the country, ensuring that all rain falls to the west of it. Same air stream, yet different weather over few hundred km air range. But toss in bit of temperature changes and that very same storm will travel over the mountains and the rain will fall anyway.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 5. Feb 23, 11:33

felter wrote:
Sun, 5. Feb 23, 01:40
Aparently it's much easier than it sounds - seems like on high altitudes (like higher than planes flying) there are mostly stable and predictable air currents.
It's easy to steer the course for baloon, by simply changing the altitude up/down, to jump between currents that lead you to where you want to go.

It's much more controllable, than the civilian passenger baloons that are used for recreational flights.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 6. Feb 23, 00:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WfUXU9N7YA There's a pretty good analysis of the balloon kill from a former Air Force pilot.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 6. Feb 23, 06:56

Pretty big earthquake in Turkey region. Turkey calling for international aid. Some people stuck under rubble posting for help on social media.

The US Geological Survey said the 7.8 magnitude tremor struck at 04:17 local time (01:17 GMT) at a depth of 17.9km (11 miles) near the city of Gaziantep.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64533851

Big pipeline gas explosion in Kahramanmaras. Gas might come from Russia and go to other countries?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-znFpJnkW4

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 01:54

So what are people's thoughts on the Microsoft takeover of Activision, as it seems a lot of governments seem to be against the takeover, a lot of the time I don't get why they are objecting to it, to me, it looks like they are bowing to Sony'a fears as they seem to be the main force objecting to the takeover, mainly as they don't like the thought that Call of Duty may become an Xbox exclusive, which when you look at the amount of PlayStation exclusives it is a bit of a cheek when they complain about possible exclusives on other systems. Right now it looks like once again the people who are making the decision have not got a clue what they are making decisions on and are listening to outside forces that have their own ulterior motive to stop the takeover, and it has nothing to do with what is good or bad.

To me, I think it would be good for gaming as Activision have been become stagnant in their approach to gaming for several years now, they seem to be more interested in milking what games they have rather than creating more new and exciting games. Not to mention that Kotick would more than likely get the boot when Microsoft took over, which in itself is a good thing, the sooner he is out of the games market the better.

Anyway, so what are your thoughts on the takeover good or bad, should it go ahead or should it be stopped.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 08:40

Truth be told, it's not really going to matter what anyone says or thinks on the matter. The GOP has Microsoft in its sights for them announcing they're adding some optional power saving features to the Xbox platforms and the GOP has thusly found a new boogeyman.

Much like that dip in Florida is trying to punish Disney, the GOP lead house will try to punish Microsoft for the GOP's made up culture war, 'wokeism', or whatever BS they make up to slam their fist on the table. More fine examples of their idea of "small government" in action.
rebellionpac.com

Return to “Off Topic English”