Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

segmentationfault

Re: Chris Roberts new project... Star Citizen

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:13

So, CitizenCon 2949 is about two weeks away and I'm wondering if anyone here is going there? This year it is kept in Manchester, England.

For me personally this is the most interesting game event in a year and at least according to convention's schedule and rumours this year is not going to be disappointing either. Still, I'm not able to or be interested enough to attend.

It looks like Alpha 3.8 will get lots of FPS and melee improvements. The improvements seems to bring at least sneaking and medic gameplay which sounds both very interesting; jail break, medic capabilities in ships, etc.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:22

I had completely forgotten about this game until I got this notifications. Is it still a thing? (not that I really care one way or another tbh)

MFG

Ketraar

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:39

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 6. Nov 19, 15:22
I had completely forgotten about this game until I got this notifications. Is it still a thing? (not that I really care one way or another tbh)
Well, the project is going forward well and it has a strong support, so I guess it is still a thing. PU Alpha 3.7 was released recently and Alpha 3.8 will be released before end of the year. Most likely there will be yet another "free fly" session so anyone can give a try and see if they are interested.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Tue, 12. Nov 19, 19:52

well i love that name or is it irony
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Nov 19, 20:27

Nah, the project was newish 7 years ago when this thread started. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Wed, 13. Nov 19, 00:30

I wonder how many new JPEGs that you can buy will be announced this year.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Wed, 13. Nov 19, 17:18

Tycow wrote:
Wed, 13. Nov 19, 00:30
I wonder how many new JPEGs that you can buy will be announced this year.
Isn't that interesting only to people who wants to pledge to a project? I guess everyone else rather rent or buy ships in game.

I didn't find any up-to-date list of flyable ships but they are steadily turning concepts to ships in game.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Fri, 15. Nov 19, 17:33

The latest episode of ISC actually shows how they are working on a ship ( Prowler ) and tools they are using. It is always interesting to hear what kind of tools the developers are using and about people develop them.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 16. Nov 19, 23:14

It is indeed interesting. It's also simply trying to keep putting something out to prove work is ongoing, information to keep them interested. If people lose interest (especially if it still needs more funds), then it dies.

It's nearing 2020.
I started this thread in 2012.

I applaud those who spend 8 years reading with interest every thing and remain interested and enthusiastic.

Meanwhile, I've entered an entirely different decade of my life and I don't game like I used to. I only want to hear/read about SC when it's released - and whether I play it or not remains to be seen.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 03:52

segmentationfault wrote:
Fri, 15. Nov 19, 17:33
The latest episode of ISC actually shows how they are working on a ship ( Prowler ) and tools they are using. It is always interesting to hear what kind of tools the developers are using and about people develop them.
I just got to say that comment is totally absurd, not you making the comment, but that the game has been in development for 7 years since the crowdfunding campaign started, plus as far as I remember the game had been in development for two years before that, so that's roughly 9 years so far. The absurd part is they are still working on ships for the game, even after all that time. The last I heard they had only worked on a single system and even that was not finished, and that was not that long ago, especially considering 9 years development.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 08:26

Chips wrote:
Sat, 16. Nov 19, 23:14
It is indeed interesting. It's also simply trying to keep putting something out to prove work is ongoing, information to keep them interested. If people lose interest (especially if it still needs more funds), then it dies.

It's nearing 2020.
I started this thread in 2012.

I applaud those who spend 8 years reading with interest every thing and remain interested and enthusiastic.

Meanwhile, I've entered an entirely different decade of my life and I don't game like I used to. I only want to hear/read about SC when it's released - and whether I play it or not remains to be seen.
People, including me, has been waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 since 2012 and all we have got is screenshot and couple of videos. While waiting for CP2077 I have been able to enjoy Star Citizen hundreds of hours already.

I'm personally fine with waiting as long as we get a good games. There is no game like Star Citizen in market at the moment so I guess waiting is the only option.

Star Citizen can definitely fail and die. Most of the software does.
felter wrote:
Sun, 17. Nov 19, 03:52
I just got to say that comment is totally absurd, not you making the comment, but that the game has been in development for 7 years since the crowdfunding campaign started, plus as far as I remember the game had been in development for two years before that, so that's roughly 9 years so far. The absurd part is they are still working on ships for the game, even after all that time. The last I heard they had only worked on a single system and even that was not finished, and that was not that long ago, especially considering 9 years development.
But why is that a problem if a small team is creating more ships?

We don't know how many systems they have been working on and how many of them are ready. Well, just like any other MMO the development continues during the whole existence so they will never be "ready" but being constantly improved.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 09:18

segmentationfault wrote:
Sun, 17. Nov 19, 08:26
People, including me, has been waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 since 2012 and all we have got is screenshot and couple of videos.
That was rather foolish of you, considering the Witcher 3 didn't come out until 2015 and it was pretty obvious CDPR weren't going to start on Cyberpunk until that was done. Oh, and Cyberpunk 2077 actually has a solid 2020 release date now, which is more than Star Citizen has.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 10:18

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 17. Nov 19, 09:18
That was rather foolish of you, considering the Witcher 3 didn't come out until 2015 and it was pretty obvious CDPR weren't going to start on Cyberpunk until that was done. Oh, and Cyberpunk 2077 actually has a solid 2020 release date now, which is more than Star Citizen has.
All I said is that I and many others have been waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 since 2012. We know very little about its development. CP2077 is not of course the only game I have been waiting; BG&E2, Starfield, M&B II: Bannerlord, etc.

I'm fine with waiting as long as we get good games. While waiting for these games I have been able to enjoy Star Citizen for hundreds of hours.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 16:49

So you honestly think that after 9 years and $200,000,000 Dollars to not to have even come close to finishing the ships is okay, because you think it is just a small team working on them. How small does the team have to be to have worked on a project for that long to not have come close to finishing, 1 or 2 maybe, even then the a single person should have had the job done many years ago.

If we knock it down to a single person and only the 7 years since the crowdfunding began, with them working on a 40 hour week you are looking at 14,560 hours they would have spent just working on those ships. That's fourteen thousand five hundred and sixty working hours per person on ships alone and you think that's an okay amount of time to have spent on ships alone.

I don't care how many people have been working on ships. or how small the team is, 14,560 hours per person is a totally absurd amount of time to have been working on them and to still not be finished, there is no defence for it taking so long.

If Boeing were building 747's 1 after the other, they would have completed 88 planes in the same timeline, and they are real physical flying machines not virtual imaginations.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 19:34

felter wrote:
Sun, 17. Nov 19, 16:49
So you honestly think that after 9 years and $200,000,000 Dollars to not to have even come close to finishing the ships is okay, because you think it is just a small team working on them. How small does the team have to be to have worked on a project for that long to not have come close to finishing, 1 or 2 maybe, even then the a single person should have had the job done many years ago.
Yes, I honestly think it is fine because the ship team will have always new ships to build. I doubt their work will be finished until the development ends.

The Empire State Building was being constructed in bit more than one year while it takes multiple years to make games. There must be something badly wrong with software industry...(?)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 20:34

Could we please get back to those who have actual experience of evolving features of the game telling us about them here, and those who have no interest in following the game progress letting them get on with it. Vague assertions of project incompetence or worse (and even their unofficial denials) just derail the thread and add nothing of value to the subject matter.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 23:37

The vehement aggression towards star citizen is so interesting.

This thread is the perfect example. Just a couple of posts up someone has taken the time to write out a long post detailing how the games has no finished ships....

I mean.... what the hell? The game has probably 100 finished ships... The amount of money raised is always stated by these people - as if it is some kind of sin to have made money and be using it to employ over 500 people over 5 studios.

It is just so strange to be a fan of the game, to actually be playing it relatively regularly and then constantly see these kind of posts stating absolute misinformation, and with passion. Its really, really weird.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 23:58

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 17. Nov 19, 23:37
...to be a fan of the game, to actually be playing it relatively regularly...
Could you tell me to what extent the game is currently playable? How much does it cost bare-bones, does the entry cost provide enough content to be enjoyable and if not, how much extra cost is required? Is online required? I admit I stopped following Star Citizen development several years ago, and I have no idea where it is at these days?

Thanks.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 18. Nov 19, 00:24

Observe wrote:
Sun, 17. Nov 19, 23:58
Axeface wrote:
...to be a fan of the game, to actually be playing it relatively regularly...
Could you tell me to what extent the game is currently playable? How much does it cost bare-bones, does the entry cost provide enough content to be enjoyable and if not, how much extra cost is required? Is online required? I admit I stopped following Star Citizen development several years ago, and I have no idea where it is at these days?

Thanks.
Entry level is $45 for the game and the starter ships. That includes one ship and the full online game, forever, no subscriptions or plans and no extra costs. For content, currently there is one solar system with a few planets and a dozen moons or so (the scale and detail of the planets and moons is groundbreaking... you have to fly to one in game to understand). Each planet has a main 'hub' and several smaller locations to explore. You can pick up missions such as hauling cargo or bounty hunting, earn money to buy or rent ships, armour and weapons etc, mine both in ships or on foot (this is very cool implimentation). Exploration is pretty much a theme park experience, but there are things you can do like find loot or mine (eg there are caves where you can mine rare and valuable crystals). There are fps missions too where you pick up a mission, fly to a planet or moon and then enter an underground facility to fight AI (the AI is currently rudimentary at best but you can get the missions done).
There are also other 'modes' that are used by the devs to test features - but they will actually be implimented into the games lore as 'video games' within the game. Star Marine is an FPS deathmatch games, much like cod or battlefield or whatever - theres a few maps and some different game modes. The murray cup is a racing mode, where you fly around a sky city against other players or timed. Arena Commander is like star marine but with ships, you fight against waves of enemy ships to earn credits and prestige (alone or with friends).
Enough content to be enjoyable? To me its a theme park, the game isnt finished. But I do enjoy my time with it and ive already got my monies worth (I got both sc and squadron 42 for $45 during a deal).

Yes online is required, star citizen is an mmo. The single player 'mass effecty' game, squadron 42 is being developed alongside sc (trailer here if you havent seen it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppjX4to9s4 )

If you want to see where its at you can always check https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Star%20Citizen . Theres always people playing.

Oh, importantly there are often 'free fly' events where you can try the game for free. Ide suggest waiting for one of these.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 18. Nov 19, 03:58

Axeface wrote:
The vehement aggression towards star citizen is so interesting.

This thread is the perfect example. Just a couple of posts up someone has taken the time to write out a long post detailing how the games has no finished ships....

I mean.... what the hell? The game has probably 100 finished ships... The amount of money raised is always stated by these people - as if it is some kind of sin to have made money and be using it to employ over 500 people over 5 studios.

It is just so strange to be a fan of the game, to actually be playing it relatively regularly and then constantly see these kind of posts stating absolute misinformation, and with passion. Its really, really weird.
I think it is me you are taking a swipe at, I never said that any ships were not done, I said it is absurd that they are still working on ships after 7 years of development when they game should have been released 4 to 5 years ago. The money raise is mentioned because they raised all of that money and have never delivered what they promised. Yes I'm angry about the game and I have the right to be so as I am one of those original backers and I have never been given the game I was promised and paid for and I never will be. I never backed a MMO I never backed a FPS I backed:
A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win
Every single line of that promise is a lie, none of it is true. I'm glad you think you are getting what you paid for but that is not what was promised to the original backers, and we are years after the date we were promised the game we backed, and we are years away from never getting the game we backed.

Return to “Off Topic English”