Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 10:35

Morkonan wrote:It's totally free. It's going to be an attempt to combine Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress to make an easily accessible, but very deep, sim/colony manager.
Easily accessible and very deep sim/colony manager = contradiction.

And to be honest, after like 100 hours of DF, the UI is so easy and very accessible, you will think how anyone cannot understand the genius and simplicity behind it.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 14:18

silenced wrote:
Morkonan wrote:It's totally free. It's going to be an attempt to combine Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress to make an easily accessible, but very deep, sim/colony manager.
That's not necessarily true. A simulation can be easily accessible and still be very deep. It all depends on it design and how many elements are directly accessible by the user.

There is a woeful lack of attention to UI presentation in a lot of indie/small projects, these days, though. I blame enthusiastic programmers who can program great games, but have practically no ability to actually present information to a person while being able to predict human behavior because they haven't been out of a basement in the past decade... Their ability to empathize has usually been severely compromised. :)
And to be honest, after like 100 hours of DF, the UI is so easy and very accessible, you will think how anyone cannot understand the genius and simplicity behind it.
Only a hundred hours? Wow! I'll get right on that...

You do realize your statement sounds like an advertisement for a flavored laxative, right? "You won't believe how great this industrial-strength laxative tastes! You should try it, today!" :)

PS: I admire DF for what it is. But, there isn't an argument out there that can seriously justify its presentation or UI other than "We want it to look like the game we made when we were kids."

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 15:54

Morkonan wrote: There is a woeful lack of attention to UI presentation in a lot of indie/small projects, these days, though.
Case in point:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... -Interface

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 16:09

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote: There is a woeful lack of attention to UI presentation in a lot of indie/small projects, these days, though.
Case in point:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... -Interface
We're on Egosoft's forums. We've played X3. We don't have to go very far for examples.. :) Every nested menu command should have "Hnnnngh" as mouse-hover text. (And, not the good version of "Hnnnngh.")

Did the UI improve in XR?

So it's OT:

Here's a pretty remarkable short vid showing 300 gnomes in Ingnomia! (Free game, linked above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QleKXxGI5bo

Three-hundred... Now, I'm sure there aren't any really complex interactions going on between them, but - It's three-hundred gnomes digging, producing dirt, removing blocks, pathing, each finding blocks to dig, etc. That's friggin' impressive. :) I don't recall Gnomoria's limits and don't know DF's, but IIRC one of the larger Gnomoria populations I had was around 40 and that eventually destroyed it. (Leak/bug/pathing issue would crop up five minutes into any reloaded save.)

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 31. Aug 18, 16:55

Tried it, crashed a few times on me after several minutes, no auto save, controls are absolutly horrible and I dare to imagine how dwarf fortress performs in that regard.
I see no way to automate stuff. You can do things like "produce X until Y" but when reaching Y it just disappears. And what is the goal exactly?

Can see the huge potential though! Will keep an eye on it. Maybe in a few months if the developer hasn't lost interest.
Thanks for sharing :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 1. Sep 18, 00:16

Tamina wrote:Tried it, crashed a few times on me after several minutes, no auto save, controls are absolutly horrible and I dare to imagine how dwarf fortress performs in that regard.
I see no way to automate stuff. You can do things like "produce X until Y" but when reaching Y it just disappears. And what is the goal exactly?

Can see the huge potential though! Will keep an eye on it. Maybe in a few months if the developer hasn't lost interest.
Thanks for sharing :)
Yeah, he's been updating like mad, it seems. IIRC, when he originally went through the Steam process, he fudged it up a bit and had intended a different release type that they offer, but then he couldn't do anything but have it offered as E.A. so he went with it, given that re-approval was a hassle.

It will probably be under pretty hectic patching for awhile. Many features are not deeply developed, yet. The whole point is that it's rather an "alpha" or "late concept piece" than a true Beta or E.A. dev piece just yet. Honestly, though, it seems like he's on the right track. He's got a github tracker going, now, and there's some good activity on the reddit and even in the Steam forums.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Maybe it will be "it" or maybe not. Either way, it's free and it appears to be at least on the way to succeeding Gnomoria, if not being good enough to be a DF half-clone.

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Sat, 1. Sep 18, 01:54

Morkonan wrote:
Three-hundred... Now, I'm sure there aren't any really complex interactions going on between them, but - It's three-hundred gnomes digging, producing dirt, removing blocks, pathing, each finding blocks to dig, etc. That's friggin' impressive. :) I don't recall Gnomoria's limits and don't know DF's, but IIRC one of the larger Gnomoria populations I had was around 40 and that eventually destroyed it. (Leak/bug/pathing issue would crop up five minutes into any reloaded save.)

In Df you run on "decent processing FPS of 15-60" with ~150 dwarfs, above and your fort will encounter a Frames per seconds death slowly (depending on hardware naturally) my largest were ~290 dwarfs where i gave up with iirc 8 FPS / ticks per second, as the gameplay progress gets for my taste to slow forward, call it what you like more ;)

but nice thats the succesor of gnomoria finally has hitted Steam. stumbled over it a few times and keeped a bit track of it.

unfortunately gnomoria looked so tempting even with all the bugs, that it never came out of the shadow of DF to be his own thing on first glance. but i'm content how Ingnomia as its succesor will develope and fare well to find his surviving niche as Df did :) ( refering to Gnomoria for finding his place in, as Df is Well setttled in his own "universe :D " )
silenced wrote:

But i find Rimworld does a quite good job to merge those things together for the mircodepth but its a lot of version ago i had played vanilla, same goes for DF as i tune with masterworks. Besides the regular mephlauncher releases, gosh has he stitched together a nice Tileset.

and still i wish for some Hotkeys strokes to be the same over various subtrees. as why do i need to hit k, l, o, i while q,w,e,r,a,s,d,f,y,x,c,v are not used in that "screen" at all, and don't come me with its L becuse its (L)ining, thats argument is broken on various counter examples it can be used as (A) Lining. :D

but i would need to play it actively to pinpoint those things. as i don't hold a grudge and take it as it is in doubt, but still wishes/ wonders why it isn't as i i may use the keyboard or handposition wrong

but with Cataclysm: darkdays ahead (CCDA), Unrealworld, Caves of Qud, Nethack, Tome, and Df i guess thats shouldn't be a problem atall and be a mere Df quirk ^^
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

muppetts
x3tc

Re: Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Post by muppetts » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 20:49

GOG Shadow Warrior 2 free now for short time
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 20:23

I caught this video when scouting space game mods.
Remember the original X-Wing from 1993-94? Seems modders are giving it a modern facelift. In dev now but they say you have to have a version of the origional games and I do, but GOG has the special edition for $3.99 and my origional are on floppy disks and I'd bet no good.

PC Classic Getting Rebuilt by Fans
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 01:22

metro 2033 is free on steam. A post apocalyptic first person shooter.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 17:17

burger1 wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 01:22
Thanks for the info!

Though, "Free" on Steam is sometimes difficult to understand. It's "Free for 24hrs" and I assume that means all I have to do is "click" and I have it forever... Do you know if that is true? Sometimes, it seems a "Free" game only stays with you if you fully install it. So confusing... Though, I haven't been on Steam much, lately, so things/phrases may have become easier to understand.

Anyway, thanks! Added it to my Library, but not yet installed. I hope I can keep it. :)

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 18:56

Morkonan wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 17:17
burger1 wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 01:22
Thanks for the info!

Though, "Free" on Steam is sometimes difficult to understand. It's "Free for 24hrs" and I assume that means all I have to do is "click" and I have it forever... Do you know if that is true? Sometimes, it seems a "Free" game only stays with you if you fully install it. So confusing... Though, I haven't been on Steam much, lately, so things/phrases may have become easier to understand.

Anyway, thanks! Added it to my Library, but not yet installed. I hope I can keep it. :)
Games that are always free usually banish from your library if you uninstall them, because they are always free you you dont really claim them as yours.

Games like this one, that they are "giving" to the people for 48 hours for example, will stay in your library forever, installed or not doesn't really mater so dont worry about that.

Right now i have around 500 games and a lot of them are gifted games like this one and i dont have any problem deleting them from my computer, they are still on my library.

P.D: You can check this with star trek online for example, i dont have it on my library but if i search it on the store, it tells me that its already on my library and i only have to install it again, once i do that, the game is back on my library.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 27. Oct 18, 19:04

korio wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 18:56
... P.D: You can check this with star trek online for example, i dont have it on my library but if i search it on the store, it tells me that its already on my library and i only have to install it again, once i do that, the game is back on my library.
That's an awesome tip, man! Woot, thanks for that! So, evidently, there's some secret shadow list of stuff you've already obtained, even if it doesn't appear in your library? Or, perhaps, each marketplace entry has its own tracker, like some sort of secondary "Registration." (User associated with registration code, maybe?)

Anyway, that's a great "Steam Pro-Tip!" :)

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Fri, 2. Nov 18, 19:34

destiny 2 free on battle net launcher till 18 of november!

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 10:35

SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE: REBELLION free at Humble if you sub to newletter, you can get it even if already subbed
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 10:36

muppetts wrote:
Fri, 16. Nov 18, 10:35
SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE: REBELLION free at Humble if you sub to newletter, you can get it even if already subbed
This is pretty much a must have if you have even a passing interest in RTS.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 14:29

korio wrote:
Fri, 2. Nov 18, 19:34
Is this game a MMO or co-op, does it even have a single player mode or is it just multi-player, it's hard to find this answer.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 16. Nov 18, 14:45

felter wrote:
Fri, 16. Nov 18, 14:29
korio wrote:
Fri, 2. Nov 18, 19:34
Is this game a MMO or co-op, does it even have a single player mode or is it just multi-player, it's hard to find this answer.
It is a multiplayer coop game, with some MMO elements.

You can play the entire game without forced grouping, but there will be some world sharing with other players (and you will find naturally completing some things like public events with them).

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 05:07

I've a Steam coupon, -33% for Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition, which expires tomorrow. I wanted to get the game myself, but didn't manage to, and it'd be a shame for this discount to go to waste. So if anyone wants it, I'm happy to give it away.
Please reply here first in the interest of fairness.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 18. Nov 18, 21:46

radcapricorn wrote:
Sun, 18. Nov 18, 05:07
I've a Steam coupon, -33% for Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition, which expires tomorrow. I wanted to get the game myself, but didn't manage to, and it'd be a shame for this discount to go to waste. So if anyone wants it, I'm happy to give it away.
Please reply here first in the interest of fairness.
You and the planet. Everyone in my guild got 4 of them.

Return to “Off Topic English”