I think its time to put the SPOLIER forum online

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

General Antilles
x3

Post by General Antilles » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 22:44

...he's not bald and his head does not glimmer.

I'm sorry.. it's that song, I... just can't get it out of my head.

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 23:19

song?

what song

:roll:

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Fri, 14. Nov 03, 10:41

Mars Mug wrote:
I don’t agree with your idea that the forum sells the game. The majority of people posting threads and reading threads about X2 will have bought the game. Only after the game has been released for some time are people who don’t own it likely to visit the forum, after word has got around.
Well, the mere fact that the game isn't out and new members abound shoots that claim out the water. Of course lots of people check the boards before spending money - see what the buzz is, see if there are problems. With the cost of games it's foolish not to.

As to the Khaak question - it is answered in one of the many previews/interviews linked from this very board so it's hardly a secret.

And yes, commercially, potential customers are more valuable than nailed ones. That is axiomatic. If loyalty counted for anything we wouldn't be waiting until Feb. I want x2 to succeed commercially so that there is an XOU and X3. Because the game is delayed in the European market it should not mean that things have to stand still for the rest of the world for a couple of months or that casual visitors be forced to register just to be able to read the x2 spoilers board if that is where all x2 discussion is, not just spoiler specific stuff.

This is a board for the world, not just for long standing European members (and I speak as a long-standing Euro member) and if x2 is anything like the success we hope it will be, we will be a small minority.

When I visit the Trek board occasionally I do not insist or expect all discussion of the latest Enterprise series to cease until it's been shown in the UK. I exercise discretion over what I read.

I don't want to read plot spoilers, which is why I'll stay out of the spoilers board for the most part unless i need help on specific issues. But I would expect, like with any other game, to be able to discuss x2 with other purchasers, likes, dislikes etc, on the main board, in easily avoided x2 threads.

Mars Mug
x3tc

Post by Mars Mug » Fri, 14. Nov 03, 21:38

SteveMill wrote: Well, the mere fact that the game isn't out and new members abound shoots that claim out the water. Of course lots of people check the boards before spending money - see what the buzz is, see if there are problems. With the cost of games it's foolish not to.
I don’t have any statistical evidence to disagree with you, but I would still say that while a forum can help sell a game, the absence of a forum will not necessarily make the game a flop. I’ve bought plenty of games, based on reviews etc, without first checking to see if there’s a forum. Perhaps I’m just rich, or a fool.
As to the Khaak question - it is answered in one of the many previews/interviews linked from this very board so it's hardly a secret.
That specific question is just an example.
And yes, commercially, potential customers are more valuable than nailed ones. That is axiomatic. If loyalty counted for anything we wouldn't be waiting until Feb. I want x2 to succeed commercially so that there is an XOU and X3.
X games are few and far between, so perhaps customer loyalty is less valuable in this case. Loyalty does count for something which is why I am willing to wait. But during that gap between the US release and the Euro release I would like to visit the forum without seeing obvious spoilers, I think this is also a measure of my loyalty. Now all that I ask is that the loyalty works both ways, and obvious spoilers be put in their place.

I am happy that JadeNova has answered my concerns there.
Because the game is delayed in the European market it should not mean that things have to stand still for the rest of the world for a couple of months or that casual visitors be forced to register just to be able to read the x2 spoilers board if that is where all x2 discussion is, not just spoiler specific stuff.
I don’t expect all the X2 discussion to be in the spoilers board, just the spoilers. The other X2 discussion can happily be in the X2 board. That should be a pretty clear split.
This is a board for the world, not just for long standing European members (and I speak as a long-standing Euro member) and if x2 is anything like the success we hope it will be, we will be a small minority.
I don’t care where anyone else lives, it’s pretty much irrelevant, so I don’t see myself as part of any minority.
When I visit the Trek board occasionally I do not insist or expect all discussion of the latest Enterprise series to cease until it's been shown in the UK. I exercise discretion over what I read.
I also exercise discretion, but as I said a carelessly titled thread can be a spoiler from the title alone. It’s hard to exercise discretion in that case.
I don't want to read plot spoilers, which is why I'll stay out of the spoilers board for the most part unless i need help on specific issues. But I would expect, like with any other game, to be able to discuss x2 with other purchasers, likes, dislikes etc, on the main board, in easily avoided x2 threads.
This is exactly what I want, spoilers to be in the spoilers board, general discussion in the discussion board.

JadeNova has indicated that this is how it will be.

Return to “Off Topic English”