Wed 12 Nov:BBC2 :11.20pm..[Orion Project]

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Wed 12 Nov:BBC2 :11.20pm..[Orion Project]

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Wed, 12. Nov 03, 18:02

secret of the orion project:

all about the first space liner,
should be worth a watch for future planetary colonists :wink:

Jericho
x2

Re: Wed 12 Nov:BBC2 :11.20pm..[Orion Project]

Post by Jericho » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 12:20

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. wrote:secret of the orion project:

all about the first space liner,
should be worth a watch for future planetary colonists :wink:
Missed it. Doh!
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 12:22

Me too. Double d'oh!

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 12:40

CBJ wrote:Me too. Double d'oh!
It didn't help that I only saw the post this morning (thursday)
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 12:49

I don't even have that excuse. Noticed it in the schedule, read the post, planned to watch it, and then promptly forgot. Ah well. :roll:

So, to anyone who did manage to watch it, was it any good?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 13:14

dam missied it.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 13:15

wasnt what i expected,but still a good watch.

some good ideas but too depressing when they constantly tell you the reason we have no stellar ships or laser driven probes is because some politician didnt want to risk being the one who signed off on a failure.

so rather than take a chance and leap us forward to space farers,they always decide to play safe and withhold funding.

i dont get angry at the reasons if they are simply that we dont have the technology,but when its a politicians puckered arse thats stopping our progression into the space lanes i get a bit mentally derranged.

we have the technology,...just the purse strings are just too tight and short sighted.
i know even if we started now i would be long dead before we have commercial flights,but the knowledge we are evolving does perk me up a tad.
money money money money...wonder if it would be different if we still had the soviet vs usa space race?

took a wazz half way through the prog and think i missed the part on planetary tethers,no more rockets to get to the void,just a long lift ride.

anyone see that bit?ordered it from the bbc so awaiting delivery.
how many know that you can order bbc progs on tape,no money if you collect it yourself from bbc nearest office.

nobbystyles
x4

Post by nobbystyles » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 13:37

I didnt know you could just ask for a tape. so whats the point of buying stuff like complilations from them if you cna just ask for it

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 13:53

not many do know....read the tv licence.
of course i do have an in there which helps,but they are still obliged to do it.
they dont do it for comedys or mainstream weeklys though,only covers information progs and educational progs.

oh and when i tried it with the walking with dinosaurs they almost told me to ferk orf.... :lol:

considering the rubbish thats flooding the free channels i`m expecting them to drop analogue totally sooner or later,
leaving the mystery of why the licence costs £100 +.

Jasperodus
x3

Post by Jasperodus » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 15:12

BBC do a lot of good things like that.

They're gearing up to have everything (and I mean everything) available on a publicly accessible archive. It'll take 'em years to get the existing programme archive online and be able to put stuff up as it is publicly released (no doubt with some kind of standard delay - 6 -12 mths?) but there are going to do it.

As for the Orion programme - I was glad BBC2 showed it as I caught the tail end on BBC4 a couple of months back.

I read about Orion years ago in a Carl Sagan book (think it was Cosmos) and this doc was very good. What I hadn't realized until I saw the whole thing last night was that they planned to launch it into orbit using A-bombs! I'd always assumed it would be built in orbit and the A-bombs would be used for flight. I think now, if it ever gets built, that would be how it would happen.

No space elevator/tether element to the program but this has been on a Beeb prog so mebbe that's available if you hunt around the program lists.

Think of it though! Letting off 1,000 A-bombs within 2-4 seconds of one another just to launch the thing. Let's be honest, that approach was rightly stamped on.

Shouldn't stop us from orbital construction of course - which is where AJRimmer's ref to space elevator/tether would come in. Not mentioned in prog because it was purely about the history of Project Orion.

Jasp
Arms, my only ornament; my only rest, the fight. ~ Don Quixote, Cervantes

nobbystyles
x4

Post by nobbystyles » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 19:28

AJ did they give you the copy of walking with dinosaurs?

AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

Post by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc. » Thu, 13. Nov 03, 21:04

nobbystyles wrote:AJ did they give you the copy of walking with dinosaurs?
quote:
"if its not presently for sale at <bbc web address>,then i would say no"
marketing and sales dept.

i had an armful of the Marine series on deep water fissures at the time,12 tapes!!!..
so i couldnt be a swine and demand redress or me licence fee back :lol:

but..i did get them rather sneakily while schmoozing the vid editor i
know :wink:
if they ever add up how many i have had they will start demanding money from me,as it all far outweighs the licence fees i have paid :roll:

Return to “Off Topic English”