IT where do i start ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Tue, 21. Oct 03, 22:04

pjknibbs wrote:I certainly wouldn't recommend you follow the somewhat idiosyncratic route I took to get where I am!
you're right, but we could all say the same thing to anyone wanting to end up in each of our own positions.. I couldnt even write down how i ended up doing what i'm doing, and how i got here... hmmmn, maybe one day.. its up to each and every single person to make their own luck in what they do, and that involves setting up options, being in the right place at the right time most of all being happy in what they do.. IMO..

anyway.... thing is, my advice to anyone who is thinking of starting to do something really different and new is make sure its for the right reasons... and cash isnt it.. if/when you succeed at whatever it is you will be doing, it will be for 8 hours a day, five days a week, 50 weeks a year... minimum... you'd better be sure you want to be there.. if you're not sure then be prepared to change what it is in order to strive for the happiness...

Sorry blue i'm probably patronising you here, :oops:

thats my speech over.. if you've enjoyed building 2 comps, thats gotta be good enough..

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 21. Oct 03, 23:42

Capped, i agree with your comments 100% the money is not important any more, though working p/time for the last four years has left me with a few grand to repay to the bank :roll:

So i need to get back to f/time employment :) i am an engineer (old skool) RR, Porsche, Land Rover, Racing engine development (blueprint) Heavy Industry (Gas Turbines) then for nearly ten years, sales offices associated with the same industry.

They say a change is as good as a holiday so i thought IT would provide the challenge :) I still walk on the wildside :) but not in an alcoholic coma any more, so it should be fun 8)

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Wed, 22. Oct 03, 12:33

robroy wrote:Heavy Industry (Gas Turbines) then for nearly ten years, sales offices associated with the same industry.

It's the noise from them thar beggar's....it drives ya mad...MAD!...i say... :D
I think i'll just take a trip in me mamba...somewhere quiet....peacefull...
Ahhh!....Tharka's Sun, you can hear a 'pin drop' there.... :roll:

Oldman :)

carran
x4

Post by carran » Wed, 22. Oct 03, 14:00

I have to agree with Paul, experience is more valuable than qualifications but we all start somewhere.

I got into IT by transferring internally from an engineering job, I taught myself to program in C before having a weeks secondment (some of which in my own time) then finally transferring a year later.

Nowadays it should be easier in some respects, redundancies have left gaps in organisations which need multi-skilled people to fill, though combining plumbing and IT is a new one on me :)

If you're seriously looking at programming as opposed to system administration I recommend learning Java and a relational database such as Oracle.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 22. Oct 03, 21:47

Oldman wrote:
robroy wrote:Heavy Industry (Gas Turbines) then for nearly ten years, sales offices associated with the same industry.

It's the noise from them thar beggar's....it drives ya mad...MAD!...i say... :D
I think i'll just take a trip in me mamba...somewhere quiet....peacefull...
Ahhh!....Tharka's Sun, you can hear a 'pin drop' there.... :roll:

Oldman :)
Most people think of a turbine hanging from the wing of an aeroplane.

The turbines in question provide electricity for a national grid (third world no infrastructure) think of four double decker busses or eight coaches in a cube dimension with an emission tunnel/venturi you could drive a freight train through.
It brings a whole new dimension to noise, if you get to close (it makes your hair stand on end) it feels like a mothership is landing :) these little beauties were built in shipyards that had no more shipbuilding contracts.
:)
No matter where you happened to be in the yard, noise was king so i got out fast before i could no longer hear :wink:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 22. Oct 03, 22:21

robroy wrote:It brings a whole new dimension to noise, if you get to close (it makes your hair stand on end) it feels like a mothership is landing :) these little beauties were built in shipyards that had no more shipbuilding contracts.
I can imagine--I've been inside the enclosure of a piddly little 20MW 3000rpm turbogenerator while it was running, and that was quite noisy enough to be going on with!

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 22. Oct 03, 22:46

When i got a job (through family mafia) in John Brown's shipyard on the river Clyde i discovered the w/force who had built three quarter of ships floating the world had been reduced to building gas turbines, and were profoundly deaf due to prior contracts, i did have a terrible time at teabreak cause all the old timers would shout rather than talk, so for teabreak i would take a walk, down by the river and watch the Minks that had escaped from the Mink farm.

Return to “Off Topic English”