Still no search facility?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Is the Search function important for these forums?

Hell Yes!!!
90%
Dont' Care.
10%

Total votes: 68

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Still no search facility?

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Wed, 28. Dec 05, 16:12

New laptop for Christmas P4 3.5G ATI 600 256Mb 1Gb RAM and X3 + 1.3 patch what more could I ask for well…the search facility on the X-universe site would be nice! No wonder there are so many people starting threads that have been done before! The forum is filling up with garbage which will overload the search engine even more should it ever come back on line.

I held off from completing the Plot at the point where I need to go off on the Camera Drone mission, as my old machine was struggling when things got tough. 1.3 was round the corner and a new machine on the horizon with two days to kill after Christmas…completed the story line at 3am 28-12-05...where the hell is the party…where did the girls from the pleasure complex go I was expecting to meet up with a few of them at the party!! Not even a bottle of scotch on the seat of my buster! And no sign of Ban on Argon One…guess he was off with the girls at the party.

Well I have had £30 worth of entertainment from X3 and I’m sure I will get much more out of it as I continue to dip into the universe to build an Empire yet again. Duno what happened to my last two empires! On the whole very happy with X3 the 1.3 patch seems to have addressed many issues although I would have expected better performance on my new machine…more tweaking required me thinks.

Now I have completed the plot I would really like to see what other people had to say about it. As I’m not into spoilers etc I have not read too much on here, apart from the software update position. I have just spent half an hour trawling through the treads and there seems to be lots of threads along the same lines…and some useful information deep down in the catacombs or the forum beyond the reach of any person in possession of their sanity.

Does anyone have any idea when the server loading will drop to a level where the search facility can be brought back to life?

I have just saved the bloody universe and we cant even get a search engine to work WTF is going on?

My thanks to the guys at Egosoft was a pleasure to play…well most of the time anyway keep up the good work!! I cant wait to scrap my new Empire and start over again.

All the best in 2006 to all at Egosoft and the users of the forum.

Take it easy out there.

P.S Cant believe I missed the party and those girls where the hell did they go?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 29. Dec 05, 02:56

Well, there is that list of keywords... :D
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Thu, 29. Dec 05, 13:24

A list of key words is a wonderful thing...if what you seek happens to be on the list. A little limited on searching for this string though eh?

The point is that the forum is filling up with threads relating to each other and users posting responses like ‘why not read the forum before posting‘...you lazy bas***d. The point is there would be less crap if you could search!

We should consult the great ape in this matter. Maybe its all a conspiracy...BugMeister.

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Thu, 29. Dec 05, 14:48

Kaiser Kraft. I don't know if you came back at a wrong time but there are other ways. I do need to search for something but I'd rather wait till it's ready unlike some people waiting for x3. Itwas rushed in development and look what happened there. Caused I'm sure by those that can't wait paitently for a quality product and end up with something almost unwanted.

Also;
Kaiser Kraft wrote:The point is that the forum is filling up with threads relating to each other and users posting responses like ‘why not read the forum before posting‘...you lazy bas***d.
Well why did you not read the forum with the quotes of people who can't wait for the search function to come on.
Kaiser Kraft wrote:The point is there would be less crap if you could search!
You can. If you can be bothered like I can, just go through manually.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Thu, 29. Dec 05, 22:32

Well we have a paradox yet more crap on the forum!

Hummmm and the point is?

I have no idea and I really don’t care!!

Life is way too short to search manually much more fun to just get on and get things done than to cry over spilt space fuel.

Its only a bloody game ffs.

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Fri, 30. Dec 05, 09:37

Kaiser Kraft wrote:Well we have a paradox yet more crap on the forum!
Isn't the thread you started no better?
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

markkram95
x3

URGENT: Bring back the search function on the forums!!!!!!!!!!

Post by markkram95 » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 06:49

Is there any way someone can give a time-scale of when the search function will be functional again, as I can't spend half a day looking for posts similar to what my problem is?

So far, the message says "disabled due to extreme server load",
but if this was reinstated, people wouldn't be making new posts all the time, which at the moment is nearly 1000 pages of posts!!!!! :?

BRING BACK THE SEARCH FUNCTION "PLEASE" :evil:

P.S. Guys, if You have a moment, post a quick reply to "BUMP" this up nearer the top of the forum and get the site admins attention.... :!:
Last edited by markkram95 on Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:15

its better to have many posts then not being able to have access at all :)
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:20

The poll was a good move!

I made a post about this a few days ago and it got moved to the off topic forum?

If we could search people would stop posting the same questions and repeating old rants! There by reducing the server loading or am I missing something?

There is some good stuff on here just way too much S**t to crawl through to find it.

I fear I have just contributed to the repeated rants and questions...what a hypocrite! Box me up in a crate and eject me in some far flung un-known sector!

markkram95
x3

Post by markkram95 » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:20

Player. : I agree, but having to trawl through 973+ pages of posts to find help for a problem just encourages people to post loads of new unnecessary topics that have already been answered!! :(

No wonder this is one of the largest forums on the web, it's because it has no search function, and there is a new post appearing every minute..... :(

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:24

Perhaps :roll:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

markkram95
x3

Post by markkram95 » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:25

Kaiser Kraft wrote:The poll was a good move!

I made a post about this a few days ago and it got moved to the off topic forum?

If we could search people would stop posting the same questions and repeating old rants! There by reducing the server loading or am I missing something?

There is some good stuff on here just way too much S**t to crawl through to find it.

I fear I have just contributed to the repeated rants and questions...what a hypocrite! Box me up in a crate and eject me in some far flung un-known sector!
Yes Kaiser, we need to emphasise that the forums are turning to C*AP because they are so user "UNFRIENDLY".

I can't believe they moved it because it was "off topic"!!
It must be a sore point that they don't want to address for some reason, as it is a perfectly legit post.... :(

Cucumber King
x3

Post by Cucumber King » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:28

It's weird...

we don't have the search function ( well, I have it, I only don't have extra search ) because there are so many posts, but there are so many posts because we don't have the searchfunction!

Confusing...

I don't like that systems, that's also why we have all that noob questions, and when I'm havin' a bad day I can get really angry at some of the obvious questions...

Well today I have a goood day at least... :P

markkram95
x3

Post by markkram95 » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:30

If people are coming on these forums with legitimate questions and problems, then they need to have a decent forum to research their problems and find "ANSWERS".

If the search function is not working, surely this causes more upset and time wasted, rather than people finding answers quickly and getting back to the game???

Cucumber King
x3

Post by Cucumber King » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:34

your right.

I hope the server load will soon be upgraded so we can finally search again!

But I think the FAQ also answers many things!

markkram95
x3

Post by markkram95 » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:37

Cucumber King wrote:It's weird...

we don't have the search function ( well, I have it, I only don't have extra search ) because there are so many posts, but there are so many posts because we don't have the searchfunction!

Confusing...

Exactly, it's a paradox like the chicken and the egg.......
Surely if the forums were more efficient (which would mean having a fully working search function) then there would be less Noob posts with obvious questions, and I bet that a "HUGE" amount of the 973+ pages contain the same questions, and duplicate posts could be removed.

This would probably halve the number to around 500 pages and reduce stress on the servers.....Problem solved! :headbang:

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:42

Or is it? do you really think BurnIt doesnt know something you do? :wink:

Cucumber King
x3

Post by Cucumber King » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:44

If he knows what came first... the egg or the chicken?

A good idea would be too just shut the forum down for one day to get the search function rolling again or something like that... I'd sacrifice one day.

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:50

MGA

You're correct this is a really bad thread consider it closed!!

Markkram95 has done a way better job than me see his pole!

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=117219

The score was 11/0 last time I checked. We want the search function back please.

mikesl

Post by mikesl » Sat, 31. Dec 05, 07:51

In the mean time we are still capable of performing third party searches using engines like google.com

For example. if you want to search for "Noob question" in the X-universe section :

1. Go to google

2. Type in the search box "Site:forum2.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=2 Noob question" without the quotation marks. You should see the results coming up.

Not as good as the built in function of the php forum. But one must choose the lesser of the two weevils
:P

Return to “Off Topic English”