Still no search facility?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Is the Search function important for these forums?

Hell Yes!!!
90%
Dont' Care.
10%

Total votes: 68

mikesl

Post by mikesl » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 05:53

BurnIT, have you thought about integrating the google search box into this forum? just take a few html codes and it Doesn't cost a thing... I mean processing power

Cucumber King
x3

Post by Cucumber King » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 06:12

Thank's, BurnIt!

The search function is a great relief and I think the news that it's enabled are worthy to be put into the news section, so it will be an eyecatcher for many newbs and also the more experienced players! Now some obvious questions don't have to take place in the forum anymore, that's a great improvement!

You have just made everyone happy with your decision, great work! :wink:

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 06:24

Hi Burnit! and Co. Thanks for taking the time to address this issue and giving it a shot it really is appreciated. I think the majority of the forum users realize that you do want the X games and forum to be the best it can be to the vast majority and it is hard to please any of the people on here any of the time…for what its worth your work doesn’t go unnoticed!

Lets hope this is a sign of greater things to come in 2006 I really hope it is.

Cheers to all the team have a wicked 2006.

markkram95
x3

Post by markkram95 » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 07:49

BurnIt!

You are a "SAINT". :) :D

A BIG thank you from all us dedicated X3 fans :x3: even if it does turn out to be only temporary.... :cry: :(

I can understand the pressure that the search puts on the servers, but like I stated in the first post, If people can't find answers to their questions, then they make a new post. This undoubtedly adds more pages (over 1000 soon!) which make indexing and searching for them more stressfull.

For example, I have read at least 6 posts about help or advice and when I need to read it again (when it has dropped down the forum) I can never find them due to all the new posts! :?

If you do decide to bring the search back in permanently, then I am sure that at least a third of the posts could be taken off, if not more.....

BurnIt!, please would it be possible to find a way of reducing the load on searches?
Maybe get rid of all the posts that have another 20 just like them.
Look through the pages and you will see! :o

[/u]

unfunfofmpc
x3

Post by unfunfofmpc » Sun, 1. Jan 06, 09:11

BurnIt, perhaps I should get you in contact with the site admins on the site I administrate? mpc forums. It's the most active cheat forum in the world, pretty par with this forum. A few of their site admins optimized the search function to work perfectly without degrading server performance much. Perhaps that would interest you.

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 05:54

esd

I have no interest in holding a PM with you if you feel you can't talk in a public place why would I enter in to any discussion with you privately?

You have the magic wand not me so if you think it’s smart to split a reply out of a thread go ahead it aint big nor clever!

No doubt you will feel the need to trash this to!

I broke no rules and the text you removed was in no way offensive case closed?

PS You haven’t been available for a PM, you have not come to PM me and you have the issue not I! I am not available for a PM with you if you need to discuss this further it will need to be through a third party as I feel you have handled this situation very badly!

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 07:09

thanks for the temporary activation of the search engine :)
btw, maybe you should switch to a lighter forum engine than phpBB to reduce the loadout or kill some of the oldest topics.
I have no interest in holding a PM with you if you feel you can't talk in a public place why would I enter in to any discussion with you privately?
because we don't care ?
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 10:16

Serial Kicked wrote:thanks for the temporary activation of the search engine :)
Yes, THANKYOU. aswell.

I spend more time there now, than inside the "X-Universe" forum itself.
Serial Kicked wrote:...kill some of the oldest topics.
I'd think that may be a difficult one. What would you judge as "old". I bought X2 only last month and patched to v1.4! (no errors in that sentence :P )

A Suggustion : Delete or archive somewhere all pages previous to the day when X2 v1.4 patch was released (which ever day that may be). I'd guess that may be somewhere in the first half of 2004? I wouldn't have a clue!! Doing so would only have (mainly) relevant topics for X2 from that point onwards with regards to v1.4. And if anyone was running X2 with v1.3, then its their choice, but not the forums choice for suppliying that information (about v1.3 and previous) if overload is immenant to the forums.

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 16:46

So the search engine was made temporally available? Well that helps. Just needed to check something and now it's done.

Though Kaiser Kraft I must say that esd is only doing his job here. I could tell you what I think but I believe Serial Kicked sumed it up a lot better than I could.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 17:28

MGA,

You both make a very strong case...but do you have all the facts? the context of some replys in this thread are now wrong due to splicing and missing text!

The result of this thread should help the users of this forum due to the fact that some mods have done their job while others efforts were a poor show.

As I said 'case close?' it is for me!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 2. Jan 06, 18:47

Whether you want to hold the conversation by PM is neither here nor there. The forum rules clearly state that any discussion of a moderator's actions should take place by PM. You have repeatedly ignored or challenged this, and then blamed the moderator for not handling it well.

I also have no idea what you are talking about with regard to the moderator being "available" for a PM conversation - you just send a forum PM and the recipient will get it next time they log on.

Since the discussion is over, this thread will now also be locked. In future please respect the forum rules.

Return to “Off Topic English”