25 Gigaflop chip soon for sale, only $16,500

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Arcus

25 Gigaflop chip soon for sale, only $16,500

Post by Arcus » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 21:07

oh them joyful parasites

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 21:38

Don't really see the need for one. As far as I understand it, they're not really suited for gaming, but for raw mathematics. Research may find quite some benefit from them though :)

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 21:39

SETI could do with some help..
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Tue, 14. Oct 03, 22:42

X-Warrior B AS wrote:Don't really see the need for one. As far as I understand it, they're not really suited for gaming, but for raw mathematics. Research may find quite some benefit from them though :)
Maybe they can be used to design me a super gaming chip then :wink:
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 12:51

The_Abyss wrote: Maybe they can be used to design me a super gaming chip then
:)
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

ElectricMonk
x3tc

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 23:11

I was going to post this as a reply, but I'm not sure if it's correct or not, could someone verify it for me please?

The long and short of it is that as long as a game's processes were offloaded to the CPU, there would be a perfomance increase. The drawback is that it won't support T&L, FSAA and any other number of acronyms. The graphics would be crap, but bloody fast.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 23:23

ElectricMonk wrote:I was going to post this as a reply, but I'm not sure if it's correct or not, could someone verify it for me please?

The long and short of it is that as long as a game's processes were offloaded to the CPU, there would be a perfomance increase. The drawback is that it won't support T&L, FSAA and any other number of acronyms. The graphics would be crap, but bloody fast.
It would still be limited by the transfer rate between the AGP and CPU so doubt there would be a dropoff in quality, but simiilarly only a small increase in speed.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

ElectricMonk
x3tc

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed, 15. Oct 03, 23:46

The_Abyss wrote:It would still be limited by the transfer rate between the AGP and CPU so doubt there would be a dropoff in quality, but simiilarly only a small increase in speed.
I see :) Thanks :)

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 17:46

Anyone bored on a Friday afternoon could work out the size of X-Universe this could handle. There is no prize except that the weekend will be nearer when you're done. :D
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

ElectricMonk
x3tc

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri, 17. Oct 03, 18:50

My weekend started at about 9:23 this morning :)

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 18. Oct 03, 01:00

If you're talking about, for example, a dual-processor system where the second CPU is devoted to graphics then this would be true but on a normal single CPU system you're more likely to get a performance drop since the CPU is often tied up handling the game mechanics.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 18. Oct 03, 01:04

If you're talking about, for example, a dual-processor system where the second CPU is devoted to graphics then this would be true but on a normal single CPU system you're more likely to get a performance drop since the CPU is often tied up handling the game mechanics.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 18. Oct 03, 11:46

X-Warrior B AS wrote:Don't really see the need for one. As far as I understand it, they're not really suited for gaming, but for raw mathematics. Research may find quite some benefit from them though :)
games are a complex maths program, millions of calculations for a few seconds of gaming time. The more calculations that your computer can do the faster your computergames can go.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 18. Oct 03, 15:09

I'd have to agree with Xenon_Slayer there (audience promptly faints :-))--a game is nothing more than a series of complex calculations. It's entirely possible that a machine with the sort of raw computational power we're talking in this thread would be able to calculate all those fancy X2 graphics from first principles and therefore you wouldn't need a fancy graphics card at all.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Sat, 18. Oct 03, 15:18

pjknibbs wrote:I'd have to agree with Xenon_Slayer there (audience promptly faints :-))-.
no one faints faster that me :)

how much in ghz is a 25gigaflop?
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Arcus

Post by Arcus » Sat, 18. Oct 03, 17:38

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:I'd have to agree with Xenon_Slayer there (audience promptly faints :-))-.
no one faints faster that me :)

how much in ghz is a 25gigaflop?
gigaflop and Ghz are not related.

Intel P4 2 Ghz - 514,1 megaflops
AMD Athlon 1,4 GHz - 719,3 megaflops
oh them joyful parasites

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 19. Oct 03, 02:04

Well considering that the average seti@home workunit is 3-4Terraflops this would complete it in a matter of seconds rather than the couple of hours it takes top of the range desktop chips to do it.

Return to “Off Topic English”